December MCC, Round 3: Mana Abundance

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Banner based on Arcum's Astrolabe by Igor Kieryluk and Wizards of the Coast. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
December MCC, Round 3 - Mana Abundance

Welcome to the September MCC! It's Commons Month here at the MCC - yes, every round will REQUIRE contestants to design a COMMON card! Please make double sure you have the rarity right this month.

Main Challenge: Design a common dual land card - that is, a land that can tap for exactly two different colors of mana.
Subchallenge 1: Your card has an activated ability that's not a mana ability.
Subchallenge 2: Your card has "life" in its rules text.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Monday, December 30th 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Thursday, January 2nd 23:59 EDT

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Subchallenge 2: "Life" has its normal in-game meaning.
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
Judges:
void_nothing
bravelion83
Blydden

Players:
[mention]Henlock[/mention]
[mention]Legend[/mention]
[mention]barbecube[/mention]
[mention]Kypster[/mention]
[mention]Icarii[/mention]
[mention]StonerOfKruphix[/mention]
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Kypster

Post by Kypster » 4 years ago

Mire of Punishment
Land {C}
T: Add C. If Mire of Punishment has a charge counter, add B or R instead.
Escape - Pay 3 life, Exile two other cards from your graveyard. (You may play this card from your graveyard for its escape cost.)
Mire of Punishment escapes tapped and with a charge counter on it.
Attempted escapees only fuel its fires.
Last edited by Kypster 4 years ago, edited 8 times in total.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 4 years ago

Secret Haven
Land (Common)
Fateful hour — Secret Haven enters the battlefield tapped unless you have 5 or less life.
t: Add g or w.
"Hide in the light." — The Planeswalkers' Guide to the Multiverse, Chapter XI: Innistrad
Last edited by Legend 4 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

StonerOfKruphix

Post by StonerOfKruphix » 4 years ago

Orzhov Parish
Land (C)
Orzhov Parish enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add W or B.
4WB, T: Target nontoken creature you control gains Afterlife 1 until end of turn. (When that creature dies, create a 1/1 white and black Spirit creature token with flying.)
Orzhov altars are never full enough.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Less than 24 hours left to enter now!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

barbecube

Post by barbecube » 4 years ago

Haunted Basilica
Land (C)
Haunted Basilica enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add or .
2WB, T, Sacrifice Haunted Basilica: Create a 2/2 white and black Spirit creature token with lifelink.
formerly willows

Icarii

Post by Icarii » 4 years ago

Nyx-lit Meadow
Land (C)
T: Add G or W if you gained life this turn. Otherwise, add c.
GW: Target creature gains lifelink if you devotion to white is 3 or greater. Then it gains trample if your devotion to green is 3 or greater. (Each G or w in the mana costs of permanents you control counts toward your devotion to green or white.)

Henlock
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

Tended Garden
Land (c)
Tended Garden enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add or .
5gw, sacrifice Tended Garden: Gain 1 life for each enchantment you control.
Magic can grow a plant, or a tree. But caring for it day after day can grow you too as well.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And the round is closed. This is the versus round. Each contestant will be paired with another and each pair will get evaluated by two judges. The highest total scorer in each pair will move on to the finals. Here are the judging assignments:

void_nothing:
Kypster vs. Legend
StonerOfKruphix vs. Henlock

bravelion83:
StonerOfKruphix vs. Henlock
barbecube vs. Icarii

Blydden:
barbecube vs. Icarii
Kypster vs. Legend

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

Judgments complete. Happy new year to everyone.
StonerOfKruphix
Show
Hide
StonerOfKruphix wrote:
4 years ago
Orzhov Parish
Land (C)
Orzhov Parish enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add W or B.
4WB, T: Target nontoken creature you control gains Afterlife 1 until end of turn. (When that creature dies, create a 1/1 white and black Spirit creature token with flying.)
Orzhov altars are never full enough.
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - It's hard to catch Timmy's attention with a land, but this can manage it. A land that gives him more creatures when his creatures dies. Johnny can certainly use this as part of some kind of engine, maybe one producing infinite tokens? To Spike, the ability feels just overcosted. She likes the effect though, as long as she doesn't look at the cost.
Elegance 3/3 - No problems here.
Development
Viability 2/3 - No problems with the color pie or the rules. Could this be common? Probably. The cost is very high, but it's true that it can affect any creature at instant speed, which was one of the causes that led to the creation of NWO. This would probably get redflagged at least, if not bumped up to uncommon.
Balance 2.5/3 - In limited yes, no problem, in fact afterlife costs were very (too in my opinion) high by themselves, but if you put such an ability with essentially no opportunity cost, is has to cost a lot of mana, which in fact it does. Too bad that makes the card unplayable in any competitive constructed format. I have a hunch this will be a common theme this round (pun initially unintended, then I liked it, and I kept it there). No problems in casual of multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1.5/3 - Nothing new here. It's true that we haven't seen a lot of afterlife, and never on a land though.
Flavor 3/3 - Yeah, it all works here. Nothing to say. Full points.
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - The keyword afterlife should not be capitalized (-0.5). When used in the flow of the sentence keywords never are, unless at the beginning of a sentence, but that's normal English grammar (and Italian too by the way...).
Main Challenge 2/2 - Good.
Subchallenges 1/2 - Subchallenge 1 is met. Subchallenge 2 NOT met. The word "afterlife" contains the sequence of letters "l-i-f-e" but it's not the word "life". They are different words with different meanings (actually opposites).
TOTAL 20/25
Henlock
Show
Hide
Henlock wrote:
4 years ago
Tended Garden
Land (c)
Tended Garden enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add or .
5gw, sacrifice Tended Garden: Gain 1 life for each enchantment you control.
Magic can grow a plant, or a tree. But caring for it day after day can grow you too as well.
Design
Appeal 2/3 - This can manage to catch Timmy's attention too, he likes life gain. Johnny wants to find the way to gain the highest amount of life he can. Spike not only sees the ability as overcosted, but also doesn't really care too much about life gain.
Development
Viability 3/3 - No problems with the color pie or the rules, and this is something I can definitely see at common: a relatively minor effect that requires the sacrifice of the land anyway. Good.
Balance 2.5/3 - I know it's not a polite thing to do, but let's compare this to your opponent's card. Most things I've said in the previous judgment are valid for your card too,...
EDIT: ... except for a huge difference though: your opponent's card requires tapping the land, yours doesn't, which means you can activate the ability also when this land is tapped, so in practice you can always activate it, regardless of whether this is tapped or untapped. Or even more relevant, you can float mana from this land and then use it to activate the last ability. You only need six other lands to tap for mana, exactly like your opponent's card, not seven as I first thought. That makes the ability much easier to activate. Your opponent's card requires you to tap seven lands (under ordinary circumstances), the six for the mana component of the activation cost, and the land itself. Also, it can only activate the ability when it's untapped. Yours requires six lands total to tap if you do the "floating mana" trick, that's one less, so the effect being weaker actually corresponds to a lower cost, and now that feels right, unlike the first version of this judgment. But you can always activate it, which makes it stronger. I think I'm entering a labyrinth so I'll just stop here. Yes, in the end the two cards feel rather similar overall, so I'm giving you back the half point I had previously taken away here. If the cards are similar in one area, it's only fair for them to get the same score in that area. Thank you for making me notice in the discussion thread, I had completely missed it. — END EDIT
For playability in the various formats, refer to the previous card's judgment because I would copy/paste it here anyway.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1/3 - Cards like Ethereal Armor and Multani's Decree already exist. Sure, they're not lands, and they're not the exact same, but they aren't too far either.
Flavor 1.5/3 - No, I can't see this card name printed for real given that Temple Garden exists, it's a very famous card that almost every player knows, and the names sound so similar that it can't be a coincidence. I think it's the actual inspiration for the name, but they'd never print that for real. If anything, that similarity is a good reason NOT to do it. I'm simply in love with the flavor text, and that prevents the score from being even lower.
Polish
Quality 2/3 - In the activation cost, the word "Sacrifice" should be capitalized, it's the beginning of a new cost (-0.5). It should say "You gain 1 life..." (examples: Paraselene, Fracturing Gust, -0.5).
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met.
TOTAL 19/25
barbecube
Show
Hide
barbecube wrote:
4 years ago
Haunted Basilica
Land (C)
2WB, T, Sacrifice Haunted Basilica: Create a 2/2 white and black Spirit creature token with lifelink.
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - I started these judgments saying "hard to catch Timmy's attention with a land", but all cards manage one way or another. Timmy likes tokens that make him gain life. Johnny wants to recur this. Spike starts appreciating this too, now the activation cost is more within her (self-imposed) limits. If Johnny finds a way to recur this, she will also be very interested.
Development
Viability 3/3 - The effect is a little bigger, but the same considerations from the previous judgment apply here too, so I'll just copy/paste them and also give you full points here.
No problems with the color pie or the rules, and this is something I can definitely see at common: a relatively minor effect that requires the sacrifice of the land anyway. Good.
Balance 3/3 - Again, the same considerations as the previous two cards apply here too as is. The only difference is that this costs three less mana than the previous card for a more relevant effect. I like that, and maybe some Standard token decks might like it too? Always playable in limited if you're in WB. No problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 0.5/3 - Nothing new here. Not a full zero just because it's not a functional reprint of an existing card.
Flavor 0.5/3 - I knew I had heard a name like that before. Orzhov Basilica already exists, and it's way too similar as a card name. No flavor text, but the room for it is definitely there.
Polish
Quality 3/3 - All good.
Subchallenges 1/2 - Subchallenge 1 is met. Subchallenge 2 NOT met. The word "lifelink" contains the sequence of letters "l-i-f-e" but it's not the word "life". They are different words with different meanings. Connected, but different.
TOTAL 18.5/25
Icarii
Show
Hide
Icarii wrote:
4 years ago
Nyx-lit Meadow
Land (C)
GW: Target creature gains lifelink if you devotion to white is 3 or greater. Then it gains trample if your devotion to green is 3 or greater. (Each G or w in the mana costs of permanents you control counts toward your devotion to green or white.)
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy likes giving relevant keywords to his creatures. I don't see much for Johnny. The most he can do is giving repeated lifelink (that doesn't stack anymore) and trample, but at least he can target different creatures. To Spike, the absence of a tap symbol in the activation cost is a huge upside.
Elegance 2.5/3 - I could see some less experienced players being a little confused by this (also see Viability).
Development
Viability 1.5/3 - No problems with the color pie or the rules. The text looks easy enough to understand, and it is, but it requires math and there are several little details that can look a little strange here, like the "otherwise, add C", checking devotion to two different colors, and that reminder text that risks to cause even more confusion between "devotion to green or white" and "devotion to green and white, like on the two-colored Theros gods, looking so similar but working so differently. I wouldn't be surprised to see some less experienced player play this wrong because of this reason. For this reasons, I think this would be uncommon if printed for real, and rarity is extra important this month, so the deduction also is. Anyway, keep your Theros muscles in shape. January is quickly coming. Oh, and I said I would have posted January Round 1 on the 31st. Guess what day it is as I'm writing this? Yes, it's the 31st in this moment, so I need to get out Round 1 for January right now!
Balance 2.5/3 - And here we are on the 1st. I think that this card's activated ability would have a tap symbol in its cost if the care were to be printed for real. I don't think you'd want to use a bunch of mana to say:"So, now these 4+ creatures get both lifelink and trample." At common, it would probably be more appropriate to restrict the use of the ability to a single creature, which in fact means essentially to add a tap symbol to the cost. Other than that, everything is fine here. Playable in limited and maybe in Standard devotion decks too. The fact that it doesn't enter tapped is huge in constructed. I see no problems in casual or multipleyer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 3/3 - Now here is a land that feels original. This is confirmed to be your strongest area, and I and you are confirmed to be opposites here. I, with my tendency to always play inside the box, would have very probably never come up with something like this. I also want to prize how original this is compared to all other cards in my bracket.
Flavor 2/3 - The name is very good and I can definitely see it printed for real. No flavor text. MSE shows me that one line could have fit for sure, probably two too.
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - "...if you devotion to white..." is a clear typo (-0.5). The reminder text reads very strange to me, and I don't think they'd print it as is, but it's not technically wrong, so a remark but no deduction here.
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met. Very clever in subchallenge 2: you use the word "lifelink", that by itself doesn't count (see the previous judgment), but you used the word "life" one line before, and that use absolutely counts.
TOTAL 20.5/25
Results
Show
Hide
StonerOfKruphix: 20
Henlock: 19

barbecube: 18.5
Icarii: 20.5
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Blydden
Philosophical Crusader

Post by Blydden » 4 years ago

barbecube
Show
Hide
barbecube wrote:
4 years ago
Haunted Basilica
Land (C)
Design -
(1.5/3) Appeal: Everyone likes dual man-lands, which is what this land effectively is. This one has some added utility by being a source of life gain as well.
(3/3) Elegance: Nothing inelegant.

Development -
(3/3) Viability: Definitely seems like a Common Black and White land to me.
(3/3) Balance: It's a nice dual land for Limited worth picking up when committed to those two colors, but not worth splashing for.

Creativity -
(0.5/3) Uniqueness: A simple combination of Cradle of the Accursed and Scoured Barrens.
(1/3) Flavor: I like the name alright, except it is basically Orzhov Basilica as Leo mentioned. This card having no flavor text hurts a lot. I find it a tad weird that the spirit token does not fly.

Polish -
(3/3) Quality: Perfect!
(2/2) Main Challenge: Main challenge met!
(1.5/2) Subchallenges: Subchallenge 1 met! As for Subchallenge 2, the card definitely has the word 'life' in it, in the form of the word "lifelink", except that is technically not the word 'life' by itself.

Total: 18.5/25
VS
Icarii
Show
Hide
Icarii wrote:
4 years ago
Nyx-lit Meadow
Land (C)
Design -
(2.5/3) Appeal: Johnny likes this card, as the keywords both have their uses, especially trample. Spike and Timmy actually get along here and love this card for similar reasons as well.
(2.5/3) Elegance: There is a minor inelegance with remembering an unusual condition of whether or not the controller has gained life that turn.

Development -
(1/3) Viability: This definitely looks like a Green and White dual land to me. I disagree that it can be Common, even if the archetype is life gain (as it would have to be).
This one card works alright, but a cycle of these Common lands would be nonviable. Eventually, both good conditions and relevant keywords run out. For this card to be a Common, it would need to start as a dual tap-land, then only have the activated abilities that care about devotion.
(1.5/3) Balance: This dual land can be splashed for since it does not enter tapped and the activated ability does not tap.
It's not the best splash since it could only provide one of the two keywords in a deck that splashed for it, but it would still be a relevant splash. Gaining life can be crucial, and trample can be a very good keyword as well.
This card being a very good mana sink to provide two or three creatures with lifelink or trample at a time is also troublesome, especially in Limited.

Creativity -
(2.5/3) Uniqueness: This land is very unique. Some of it has sort of been done before, but definitely not everything has been put together in this way.
(2/3) Flavor: I like the name and the mechanical flavor is on point. Just one line of flavor text would have been swell.

Polish -
(1.5/3) Quality: On the second line of rules text, the word 'you' should definitely be the word "your" instead (minus half a point). Both of the numerals '3' should be the spelled out to be the word 'three' instead (minus half a point each).
(2/2) Subchallenges: Both subchallenges met!

Total: 17.5/25

Kypster
Show
Hide
Kypster wrote:
4 years ago
Mire of Punishment
Land {C}
T: Add C. If Mire of Punishment has a charge counter, add B or R instead.
Escape - Pay 3 life, Exile two other cards from your graveyard. (You may play this card from your graveyard for its escape cost.)
Mire of Punishment escapes tapped and with a charge counter on it.
Attempted escapees only fuel its fires.
Design -
(2/3) Appeal: Timmy doesn't understand the appeal of this card. Spike and Johnny very much do, since it is meant to be played from the graveyard to ramp and fix your mana base rather than the hand.
(1/3) Elegance: Most of the text is irrelevant when played from the hand, so this card really needs to played from the graveyard for its escape cost. Except that does not work (see Viability).

Development -
(0/3) Viability: I agree with void_nothing's ruling, which means this card does not work as intended, therefore it is nonviable.
(1.5/3) Balance: Let's say the card does work as intended. It escapes tapped, which is a great idea. However, this still costs no mana to escape which is still way too risky to introduce into any Limited or Sealed format. I do not believe the life payment is enough of a second barrier to entry; the escape cost should definitely include a mana cost.

Creativity -
(3/3) Uniqueness: Full points here for effort. Sure, there are dredge lands, but this card definitely worked to outdo even those.
(1/3) Flavor: I like the flavor text okay, and the name is alright, but why would a land try to escape from the underworld? I mean, is the underworld really so bad to be a part of?

Polish -
(1.5/3) Quality: One the second line of rules text, the dash should be a long dash '—' and not a short dash, and there should be no spaces on either side of the dash (minus one point). One the third line of rules text, the word "and" is unnecessary and should be nixed (minus half a point).
(2/2) Subchallenges: Both subchallenges met!

Total: 14/25
VS
Legend
Show
Hide
Legend wrote:
4 years ago
Secret Haven
Land (Common)
Fateful hour — Secret Haven enters the battlefield tapped unless you have 5 or less life.
t: Add g or w.
"Hide in the light." — The Planeswalkers' Guide to the Multiverse, Chapter XI: Innistrad
Design -
(1.5/3) Appeal: It is a Common tap-land that is very rarely not tapped — everyone likes it.
(3/3) Elegance: No issues here.

Development -
(2.5/3) Viability: This is a fine enough Green and White Common dual land. Fateful hour does not work in Black or Red, so I guess a cycle of these would also need a cycle of ability words or keywords, but Innistrad has plenty of allied ones to use so it would be worth a try to develop.
(3/3) Balance: Nothing unbalanced about a tap-land with an upside as minor as this one.

Creativity -
(0.5/3) Uniqueness: Tranquil Expanse, Blossoming Sands, Selesnya Guildgate, Sunpetal Grove, Razorverge Thicket, et cetera.
(2.5/3) Flavor: I like the name, but it seems more than to me. The flavor text is also great (but see Quality for formatting concerns).

Polish -
(1.5/3) Quality: Regarding the flavor text, the credit for the quotation should be a new line altogether (minus half a point). There should also be no space between the dash and the credit (minus half a point). Lastly, since the quote comes from a text, the title of that text should not be italicized (minus half a point, see cards like Two-Headed Zombie and Thoughtbind for both examples and precedent).
(1/2) Subchallenges: Subchallenge 2 met!

Total: 17.5/25
Last edited by Blydden 4 years ago, edited 4 times in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Kypster
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Very much a Jxnny/possibly Spike card just because it's so unusual.
(1/3) Elegance - Between the self-recursion and the separate regular and escape "modes" there is far too much going on with this card for a common.

Development
(0/3) Viability - The complexity of this card, the fact that it represents a "unique" and somewhat lore-important location, and the sheer fact that it's a self-recurring land make it completely inappropriate at common. This would HAVE to be a rare. However, there is another issue here forcing me to give zero points; escape, as written, doesn't work on lands because playing a land is a special action with no cost (CR 305.1), it's not analogous to casting a spell.
(2/3) Balance - Self-recursion - especially for no mana - is dangerous, but at least escaping tapped is a balancing clause.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - This is a very out-there card.
(1/3) Flavor - Something very off about imagining the Mire of Punishment - one of the places the Noston are trying to escape from - itself having escape, not to mention its land card not being legendary.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Fine.
(1/2) Main Challenge (*) - Being a "virtual Wastes" when you play this card from your hand pretty severely violates the spirit of making a dual land.
(1/2) Subchallenges - Escape is a static ability, not an activated ability.

Total: 13.5/25
Legend
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - Very much a Txmmy card even in Limited; that's who likes to live on the edge, so to speak.
(3/3) Elegance - Stuff like this is about as elegant as they come.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Not only is this simple enough to be a common, fateful hour is even a GW ability word.
(3/3) Balance - Looks like a perfectly serviceable tapland that won't let you down in the late game.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Just a new spin on the fairly well-tread idea of conditional taplands.
(3/3) Flavor - Really liking this, especially the flavor text.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks fine.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Good.
(1/2) Subchallenges - No additional activated abilities.

Total: 20.5/25
StonerOfKruphix
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Kind of an all-rounder; who doesn't like a nice utility land, ESPECIALLY a dual? This would be useful for any WB player in Limited.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Granting afterlife is kind of a "long way" means of creating tokens.

Development
(1.5/3) Viability - A dual land that's also a utility land probably should never be done at common. Even if the token creation requires you to have a nontoken creature die, repeatedly spitting out 1/1 flying tokens is a potent ability, and just making that ability cost lots of mana doesn't justify this card at common.
(2.5/3) Balance - Mostly alright, could cause undue amounts of stalling in Limited given its rarity though.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Plenty of lands have had token generation abilities before but this is a unique spin.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Slight disconnect between "Parish" in the name - implying a whole district - and "altars" in the flavor text, making one thing of an Orzhov church, i.e. one building. Still, mostly fine.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Don't capitalize keywords in the middle of a sentence!
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(1/2) Subchallenges - "Afterlife" is not the word "life".

Total: 19.5/25
Henlock
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy and Jxnny are both after that build-around goodness and even Spike recognizes it could save their bacon in certain Limited decks.
(3/3) Elegance - Nicely elegant with a simple sacrifice ability.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Nothing so out of this world that this couldn't be common, and obviously the associated colors are perfect.
(3/3) Balance - Just a tapland with a situational but situationally powerful extra ability.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Lands with sacrifice abilities are becoming more common but the enchantment theme is interesting and unique, as is not requiring a T for the sac ability.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Slightly awkwardly/tautologically worded flavor text but I very much get the message.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - "Sacrifice" should be capitalized and it should be "You gain..."
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 22/25

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And moving on are Henlock, Icarii, and Legend - final round coming right up.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”