DCC - December 17, 2019

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Flatline
The Heartbeat of America
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Flatline » 4 years ago

Welcome to the DCC!
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post in the DCC Discussion Thread.

How To Play

How does this card-making game work? It's simple! Whenever your card receives a vote, you receive [1] point for the month. If your card ends up with the most votes for that day, you will receive [2] additional points for the month. In the event of a tie, each person who tied receives [1] additional point. At the end of each month, the person with the most points on the scoreboard wins that month, then the scoreboard is cleared for the next month. You can participate in as many or as few days as you want in any month.

Rules

• Each day you may post any card you want. On the next day all of the posted cards will be put into the thread as long as your card didn't get disqualified - see the next point for more details. If you post more than one card in a DCC thread, only the first card you post will be taken.
  • When you vote, you need to make exactly two votes for two different people. Vote for the cards that are listed in the first post, not other cards being posted in the thread. If you notice that you've only voted for one person, include your second vote in a post, even if you're not submitting a card.
  • If you want to change your vote for any reason, post that change in the day's thread (you can include it with your card if you want). Changed votes in the discussion thread will be ignored.
  • Voting for only one person, for three or more people, or for yourself will earn you an asterisk by your name in the monthly leaderboard. So will failing to vote if you've posted a card. (We're not going to do anything about people who don't vote or post cards; that would be kind of silly.) This indicates that you're on probation for the next 21 days. If you're on probation and you make another improper vote, your card will be disqualified. Repeated disqualification is grounds for warnings and/or infractions for not following the game rules, so please don't do it.
  • Voting for everything in the poll will be grounds for a lifetime ban from the DCC. Don't do it. It just wastes the thread creators' time.
  • If you wish to post a render, please use the hyperlink option when posting your card and make the card name the image link. Renders are usually large enough to clog up the list, so submit a text-formed card and (optionally) a link in the name to the render.
  • This thread is just for your card submission. Take your questions/comments to our discussion thread. If it's a question, comment, or complaint about probation, PM void_nothing and/or the month's DCC organizer.
  • When posting make sure that:
    • You have included all of the previous day's entries.
    • You update the leaderboard with the previous day's scores.
(An easy way to post the new thread is to hit the multiquote button on every post in the previous day's thread, then click Post Reply. Select everything in this post, copy it, and then paste it into the first post for a new thread. You'll have to clean up a few small things, like quote tags around the opening post and the previous day's cards.)

Notes of the Day

It's so cold, but it could be (will be) worse.

DCC Scoreboard

RattingRots 46 (+2)
Flatline 41 (+1)
bravelion83 38 (+3)
Henlock 37 (+3)
slimytrout 36 (+1)
netn10 32 (+2)
void_nothing 29 (+2)
folding_music 19 (+2)
wizyard 18
kwanyeegor-ii 16
Rithaniel 6
jamblock 6 (+6)
marioguy3 4
emily 2

Flatline wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: Jamblock, Henlock

Overwhelming Entity 3ur
Creature — Elemental (R)
Flying
When Overwhelming Entity enters the battlefield, up to one target creature you control becomes a copy of it. (This effect lasts indefinitely.)
"I can feel myself becoming lost in its form."
4/4
bravelion83 wrote:
4 years ago
Votes:
Flatline (Though this way was easy... my favorite PW on a very reasonable card? Sign me up!)
netn10

Kess's Apprentice 2UBR
Creature(R)
Prowess (Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, this creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.)
Once on each of your turns, you may cast a nonland card with converted mana X or less from your hand or your graveyard without paying its mana cost, where X is the number of lands you control. If a card cast this way would be put into your graveyard, exile it instead.
3/3
slimytrout wrote:
4 years ago
rattingrots, void_nothing

Lone Saboteur B
Creature - Human Rogue (R)
Exalted (Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, that creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.)
Whenever Lone Saboteur deals combat damage to a player, draw a card and lose 1 life.
0/1
wizyard wrote:
4 years ago
RattingRots, Henlock
folding_music wrote:
4 years ago
votes: jamblock, void_nothing

might as well take the rest of the month off, designed my fave card ever yesterday and got no votes <3 seeya
netn10 wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: folding_music (never give up!) , Bravelion83

Build an Empire GUB
Enchantment (Rare)
Spells you cast have convoke and delve.
The Sultai Brood can build anything, because they don't care about what resources they use.
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: netn10, jamblock

Generous Djinn 4UU
Creature - Djinn (R)
Flying
Whenever Generous Djinn attacks or blocks, draw a card.
"I go beyond my obligations to you for a reason."
4/4
marioguy3 wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: bravelion83, folding_music

Bronzecap Needle
Legendary Artifact - (Rare)
Equipped creature gets +2/-2 and gains first strike.
Whenever enchanted creature dies, each player draws two cards.
Equip
Henlock wrote:
4 years ago
slimytrout, jamblock

Its Weight in Gold r
Enchantment - Aura (u)
Enchant artifact
Whne enchanted artifact is put into a graveyard, create a number of colorless Treasure artifact tokens with ", sacrifice this permanent: Add one mana of any color" equal to its mana cost
RattingRots wrote:
4 years ago
bravelion83, Henlock

Horrors of Night 2BB
Instant (R)
If it's your turn, target player discards two cards. Otherwise, return up to one target creature with converted mana cost 4 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield.
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

Post by Flatline » 4 years ago

Votes: marioguy3, void_nothing

Hellfire Hound 3rr
Creature — Elemental Hound (U)
Hellfire Hound's power is equal to the number of tapped lands you control.
*/4
Last edited by Flatline 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

Votes: netn10, void_nothing

[mention]folding_music[/mention]
folding_music (please read this, really)
Show
Hide
netn10 is right. Don't give up! You don't know how many times I've designed a card that I loved and expected to get a lot of votes and then got zero or one vote. I usually take note of those. You know when the last one was? Just a few days ago. On the 13th, I post this card:

Living Loot UB
Sorcery (U)
Choose a card at random from target opponent's hand. Manifest that card. (Put it onto the battlefield face down as a 2/2 creature. Turn it face up any time for its mana cost if it's a creature card.)
Every loot, a new surprise.

It's perfect! Simple, elegant, effective, a use of manifest that has never been done before, not even once... A card like this must easily win the day, right? ONE VOTE!

The day before, I had posted this:

Strategy Meeting RW
Sorcery (U)
Exile the top two cards of your library. Each other player exiles the top card of their library. Until the end of their next turn, each player may play cards they own exiled with Strategy Meeting. (If a player casts a spell this way, they still pay its costs. A player can play a land this way only if they have an available land play remaining.)

Impulsive draw meets "everybody draws" in white. Original, gave you one more card than your opponents, I concede only one point: that the text isn't as short as I would have liked. For all the rest it was perfect! Maybe it shouldn't have won the day, but it should have definitely gotten a lot of votes, right? Well, is TWO "a lot" to you? Not to me! And anyway this card was perfect for one of those custom sets I'm designing, so in there it went immediately regardless.

And the day before that, this:

Stormwreck Phoenix 3RR
Creature — Phoenix (R)
Flying, haste
At the beginning of combat on your turn, if there are three or more artifact cards in your graveyard, return Stormwreck Phoenix from your graveyard to the battlefield.
"I'm a failure, I'm the wreckage in the storm. I'm enlightened, unafraid I am reborn."
—Tesseract, Phoenix

4/3

Ok, this was designed top down from the lyrics of a song I like a lot, but doesn't have any problem, right? It follows the typical pattern of phoenixes in Magic, and even uses a variation on a known mechanic (metalcraft) as the reanimation condition. The text was not too long, elegant, and easy to understand. The card makes complete sense from a holistic point of view. Can you guess how many votes it got? ONE! I still haven't understood why.

Yes, that's three days in a row that what has happened to you now has happened to me, and I still haven't understood the reasons for most of those cards. They're not failures. They're not bad designs. One thing that doesn't help me is that I still haven't got who we're designing for. Is the majority of the voters Timmy, Johnny, or Spike? Why do designs that are clearly worse than mine get more votes? Please, let me know if you ever find an answer to these questions, because I still haven't any. I've been playing in the DCC on and off for years, since 2014, and do you know how many times I've won the month in five years? Once, and tied. Yes, the DCC is the most difficult contest for me, because I still haven't understood after so much times what makes a card successful here.

Do you know when was the last time I've won a day? The day before the Phoenix, with the card I had designed for another contest (CCL) and didn't meet the challenge there, so I just posted it here instead. This card:

Zhalfirin Rift 1UR
Sorcery (R)
Take an extra turn after this one. At the beginning of that turn's end step, you lose the game unless you cast three or more spell that turn.
Exile Zhalfirin Rift.
It took three sparks to close a single rift.

Honestly? I wouldn't have given it two cents. It had been designed for a different contest, uses mechanics I don't like, and I'd personally never call this an interesting design. The only good thing I still see in this card is the elegance of the number three being unintentionally (strange but true!) repeated in rules text and flavor text. I thought "no way this gets voted." It won the day. I got a +7 out of it! And if we go even before that, the two multicolored adventures I had spent so much time designing? One zero votes and the other one. And what about another card I really liked, the Cryptogoyf?

Cryptogoyf GG
Creature — Lhurgoyf (R)
As Cryptogoyf enters the battlefield, exile up to two cards from graveyards.
Cryptogoyf's power and toughness are each equal to the number of card types among cards exiled with Cryptogoyf.
Whenever Cryptogoyf attacks, you may exile target card from a graveyard.
A crypt is its lair, and the past its food.
*/*

ONE VOTE!

So, please, don't give up! Think that there are people like me who have been around for years, and still don't understand the best strategy here. I win with cards that I'm convinced are going to lose and vice versa. It happens almost every day to me. You know what's the fact probably? That everybody judges based on different things, and it's very difficult to make a thing that satisfies me, who like short and elegant designs, and an Uber-Johnny, say, at the same time.

So you're talking about this card:
folding_music wrote:
4 years ago
Mimi's Headband
Artifact - Equipment (C)
At the beginning of each upkeep, untap equipped creature.
Equipped creature is a Cat in addition to its other creature types.
Equip
How does someone like me see this? First, I read the name. There's no way I'll ever vote a card with this absurd of a name. Who's Mimi? A famous (but dead) Italian singer had that as her nickname, but I don't think it's her here. And what's a Headband? I feel like there must be a pun that I'm missing, otherwise it would never be printed for real. I'm looking for things that could see print for real here as in all contests. And I haven't read yet the rest of the card! Often at this point I wouldn't even read the rest of the card and I'd just move on to the next. But let's say that I've chosen to stay here anyway and keep reading it anyway. Ok, it's a common Equipment for two mana. No problem. The first ability is fine, even though we've seen it so many times, but in fact it's probably my favorite part of the card for exactly that reason. It's something I could see on a real card. Then I read the second ability. Talk about some trinket text. It does so little in practice that it might just as well not be there. There is no synergy between the two abilities, with one that's just trinket text at best. Would I really vote for such a card? Obviously not. Yes, then there's the equip ability, but that's fine. I'm still wondering why the second ability is there, both in the sense that I'm still wondering it as I read the equip ability and finish to read the card, and in the sense that I'm still wondering it now that I've quoted it and that I've reread it to talk about it here. As I finish reading, what's left in my mind is: "Why is that second ability even there? And on a card with such a bad name (bad in the sense of unprintable, not in a vacuum)? I don't vote for it, and really move on this time.

Look, I've got the impression from several clues that you're a pretty big music fan. I am too. I have mental health issues, and there are mostly two things that keep me going on: music, and Magic. Yes, I think everybody knows by now that my favorite band is Linkin Park, but I listen to a lot of music, even niche bands, like the Phoenix likely demonstrates. Nobody knows Tesseract here in Italy. Literally. I've discovered them by chance while watching music videos on youtube. And I can also play music, in fact I can play keyboards and guitars, and if I had to learn a third instrument it would be drums. And now I feel like revealing a secret: I also write music. I have two notebooks and several files chock full of songs, music and lyrics, all written by myself. I've let nobody ever listen to one of my songs, ever. Not even once in real life, and there are very few people who know I do that. My songs can get very personal, and they usually do. It's the same freedom of expression that I've found in writing stories (my 1200-page long story that you might have read about lately). When I have a crisis and nobody to talk to, I either go to the keyboards and improvise (many of my songs have been born like that) or I go to my pc, enter one of my worlds, enter the mind of one of my characters and let them go through what I am going through in that moment, sometimes literally, other times figuratively. And I can assure you it does work! I always feel better after doing either thing. Well, now I guess that myself writing songs is no longer a secret, after writing it on the internet. I don't care. I felt like writing it, and I did. Period.

The problem is not that I have anything personal against you and that that's why I rarely vote for your cards. No, it's not that, because I don't have anything against you, and in fact if we knew each other better I'm convinced we'd definitely find some things we have in common, like our love for music. The problem is that if I don't like what you consider your best design, it means either one of two things: you have to get better as a designer, or I as a judge. The latter is definitely true, even if I'm probably the most experienced judge in the MCC (this month is my 39th, more than three years!), but I still feel there are areas where I should improve (namely Uniqueness, and probably Appeal too). I don't know if the former is true, but if it is and you want/need help, just ask! I'm here! I've been playing Magic since 2005, never stopped, and I've been reading Maro since then too. I'm not the best designer in the world, otherwise I'd be working at Wizards right now, but I feel like I can defend myself. I've also been designing custom cards since 2006 from time to time, seriously since 2010, and got involved here in 2014. Really, if you need help, I'm here. Or to know my opinion on some particular card you've designed, provided it's actually worth (my opinion, not your card). Or even just to talk, really. You know what's one of my favorite songs by Linkin Park? "Roads Untraveled". It's just so different from their usual style, yet so beautiful. And how does it end? With a line that I want to dedicate to you know: "May your love never end / and if you need a friend / there's a seat here alongside me."

Really, I'm here, with that seat alongside me. And if you want to get better as a designer by actually designing whole custom sets, I'm open to that too. I've got two projects going on right now, but I could still add a third. There are still many planeswalkers in my table in need of a home plane and an origin story... Far less than some time ago, but there are still five at least.

And please don't think I don't care about you. I care about everybody here, and I hope spending the last hour and fifteen minutes writing this spoiler is a demonstration of that. I'm also on Discord if you're there and want to talk to me personally. I'm still bravelion83 there too, as everywhere on the internet. If you want my four-digit code, again, just ask. Privately, of course.

In the meantime, don't give up! Too bad you haven't posted a card today. If you had done, I would have probably voted for it regardless of how much I liked it, just to give you a signal. One that I hope I've still been able to give you by spending almost one hour and a half now just writing this spoiler. And I apologize for any typos that might still be there after revision.

Seriously, if you need and want, feel free to contact me in private. I'm here, and I'll always be there for you just like for anybody else here.

If you want, I hope to hear from you soon. And I also hope to see more cards from you soon.

—Leo
Merciless Banishment 3WB
Enchantment (R)
When Merciless Banishment enters the battlefield, exile target creature.
Spells with the same name as the exiled card can't be cast.
Cards with the same name as the exiled card in all players' hands have cycling 2 (2, Discard that card: Draw a card.)
Not only did the king banish them from the realm, but he also forbid any explicit mention of their names.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 4 years ago

Votes: bravelion83, Flatline

Lawless Ghost 3B
Creature - Spirit (Uncommon)
Morph 2B (You may cast this face down as a 2/2 creature for {3}. Turn it face up any time for its morph cost.)
Haunt (When this creature dies, exile it haunting target creature.)
Flying
When Lawless Ghost enters the battlefield or the creature it haunts dies, turn target creature face-down.
2/2

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

henlock, marioguy3

Head Wound 2BB
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets -2/-2.
At the beginning of the upkeep of enchanted creature's controller, that player discards a card.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 4 years ago

Votes: Henlock, slimytrout

Enraged Kittens
Creature - Cat (Rare)
Haste
Enraged Kittens costs less if a source an opponent controls dealt damage to you this turn.
2/2
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

RattingRots
Pathological Scryer

Post by RattingRots » 4 years ago

netn10, marioguy (FYI, you say "enchanted creature" instead of "equipped creature" in one place)

Rousing Spirit 2G
Creature - Spirit (U)
When ~ enters the battlefield, put a wake counter on target land. For as long as it has a wake counter on it, it is a 3/3 green Treefolk creature with trample and "Whenever this creature would die, remove a wake counter from it instead."
1/1
For Sale: Boots of +2 intellect. Never worn.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Votes: slimytrout, Henlock

Quake Generator 3RR
Artifact Creature - Juggernaut (U)
Trample
When Quake Generator enters the battlefield, it deals 2 damage to each nonartifact creature without flying.
5/3
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

Flatline, netn10

Fulfilled Salvation 1www
Encbantment (r)
At the beginning of your upkeep, if your devotion to white is 15 or greater, you win the game.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”