The DCC - November 13, 2019

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Welcome to the DCC!
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post in the DCC Discussion Thread.

How To Play

How does this card-making game work? It's simple! Whenever your card receives a vote, you receive [1] point for the month. If your card ends up with the most votes for that day, you will receive [2] additional points for the month. In the event of a tie, each person who tied receives [1] additional point. At the end of each month, the person with the most points on the scoreboard wins that month, then the scoreboard is cleared for the next month. You can participate in as many or as few days as you want in any month.

Rules

• Each day you may post any card you want. On the next day all of the posted cards will be put into the thread as long as your card didn't get disqualified - see the next point for more details. If you post more than one card in a DCC thread, only the first card you post will be taken.
  • When you vote, you need to make exactly two votes for two different people. Vote for the cards that are listed in the first post, not other cards being posted in the thread. If you notice that you've only voted for one person, include your second vote in a post, even if you're not submitting a card.
  • If you want to change your vote for any reason, post that change in the day's thread (you can include it with your card if you want). Changed votes in the discussion thread will be ignored.
  • Voting for only one person, for three or more people, or for yourself will earn you an asterisk by your name in the monthly leaderboard. So will failing to vote if you've posted a card. (We're not going to do anything about people who don't vote or post cards; that would be kind of silly.) This indicates that you're on probation for the next 21 days. If you're on probation and you make another improper vote, your card will be disqualified. Repeated disqualification is grounds for warnings and/or infractions for not following the game rules, so please don't do it.
  • Voting for everything in the poll will be grounds for a lifetime ban from the DCC. Don't do it. It just wastes the thread creators' time.
  • If you wish to post a render, please use the hyperlink option when posting your card and make the card name the image link. Renders are usually large enough to clog up the list, so submit a text-formed card and (optionally) a link in the name to the render.
  • This thread is just for your card submission. Take your questions/comments to our discussion thread. If it's a question, comment, or complaint about probation, PM void_nothing and/or the month's DCC organizer.
  • When posting make sure that:
    • You have included all of the previous day's entries.
    • You update the leaderboard with the previous day's scores.
(An easy way to post the new thread is to hit the multiquote button on every post in the previous day's thread, then click Post Reply. Select everything in this post, copy it, and then paste it into the first post for a new thread. You'll have to clean up a few small things, like quote tags around the opening post and the previous day's cards.)

Notes of the Day

Weekend can't come soon enough.

DCC Scoreboard

RattingRots 27 (+2)
bravelion83 25 (+0)
Rithaniel 24 (+3)
Koopa 22
netn10 22 (+6)
void_nothing 22 (+3)
slimytrout 20 (+2)
Gateways7 19 (+3)
Sagharri 16
Henlock 14
kwanyeegor-ii 3
FoilSquared 3
Legend 1
marioguy3 0 (+0)

bravelion83 wrote:
4 years ago
I should be higher than Koopa in the standings. Mostly pointing this out because I'm actually tied for first place, and it doesn't happen to me too often in the DCC!

Votes: void_nothing, Gateways7
Honorable mentions
Show
Hide
netn10 - I like this card a lot, but it immediately reminded me too much of Bloom Tender. It's still a perfect show of how red and green are supposed to produce mana in different ways. The Tender is repeatable, mana dork-style, this is one-shot. That difference makes both of them the proper color despite literally sharing the same words of rules text. As a 100% Mel, I approve. But there were other cards I liked better today.
slimytrout - Another card that I like but that reminded me too much of an existing card, in this case Frogify, from the most recent set. Here too, I think that card is the actual inspiration for yours, but it still feels a bit too similar to me.
Hunt for Knowledge 2GU
Sorcery (R)
Target creature you control gets +2/+2 until end of turn, then it fights target creature you don't control. If the creature you don't control dies during the fight, you draw cards equal to that creature's power.
"There is only one way to learn everything about a species' inner anatomy. Luckily, hunters provide us with a lot of material to study..."
—Professor Okral, medicine scientist

Notes and inspiration
Show
Hide
For the series "Leo needs to learn to play outside the box".

In this case, dying "during a fight" is where I'm trying to push the boundaries. Currently, there are zero cards with that wording (I've made my research), and the CR would have to be adjusted to support it (I don't think it would be too hard), but I totally think it makes intuitive sense. Just remember that the combat phase doesn't count as a "fight".

I actually designed this yesterday, before my long post in the MCC discussion thread a few hours ago, so that wasn't my inspiration. But I'm pointing this out because I talk about this (this point, not this card) in that post.

Do you want to know my actual inspiration? This is a top-down card designed starting from the card name. A band I like a lot, a serious candidate for my favorite one ever after Linkin Park, is Lagwagon. I've only randomly discovered yesterday that they had a new album come out just last month, and obviously I immediately... Let's say "found a way" to get it. The album is called "Railer", and I really like it. In fact, I'm listening to it in loop as I'm writing this. There are three songs from that album that are clearly just above the rest for me. They're called "Parable", "The suffering", and "Pray for them". But my absolute favorite among those is probably "The suffering". That song is inspired by a speech by Bertrand Russell. And in the 2017/18 school year I taught in a school entitled to him! Look sometimes the coincidences... That speech is read during the very long intro of the song. It goes like this:
The world is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
Those who have never known the deep intimacy and the intense companionship of mutual love have missed the best thing that life has to give.
Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and the unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind.
This speech touches my heart and moves me every time I listen to it, because those are all words that I could have said. The first several times I listened to it yesterday I actually cried. Now I'm slowly getting used to it, but it still hits me every time. And those three are also the passions that govern my own life. Let's give Magic colors to them:
"The longing for love" is clearly R.
"The search for knowledge" is obviously U.
"The unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind" is maybe the less clear of the three, but I absolutely think it's W.
As I realized that, I've understood that it's not by chance that those words speak to me in a particular way. Those are also the colors that I consider myself as a real person. White if mono, Boros as a pair, and Jeskai as a three-color combination.

So, in "The suffering" there is this one minute and a half intro, then the song starts for real (by chance, I happen to be listening to that song right now in the loop as I'm writing this paragraph). The whole lyrics are built on that speech. There are two choruses:
Want for contact, need for insight
The unbearable pity for the suffering

Want connection, hunt for knowledge
The unbearable lacking for the suffering
One of the many times I listened to it yesterday, thinking about cards to design for the DCC, in the moment of that second chorus I had this thought: "Hunt for knowledge" would be a very good name for a Magic card! What could it do? And from there, this card was born in a few minutes. I might also design cards for the other two "passions" that govern Russell's life and mine. I haven't designed them yet, but look for them in the next days.
Henlock wrote:
4 years ago
ratting Rots, netn10
wizyard wrote:
4 years ago
Rithaniel, netn10

Lore of Alara 2U
Sorcery (C)
Draw two cards.
Shardheart - If there are exactly three colors among permanents you control and cards in your graveyard, draw three cards instead.
RattingRots wrote:
4 years ago
slimytrout, netn10 (it's a color bend but I think it's acceptable)

Cast Aspersions 2BB
Sorcery (R)
Target opponent reveals their hand. You choose up to two nonland cards from it. That player discards those cards, then draws a card for each card discarded this way.
slimytrout wrote:
4 years ago
Gateways7, void_nothing (although I think it should have less toughness -- probably too powerful if it doesn't die to bolt)

Time Foretold 4UU
Sorcery (MR)
You may reveal Time Foretold from your opening hand and shuffle it into your library. If you do, spells named Time Foretold cost you 4 less to cast for the rest of the game.
Take an extra turn after this one.
netn10 wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: RattingRotes, marioguy3

Enlightening Bolt UR
Instant (Uncommon)
Enlightening Bolt deals 3 damage to any target.
Draw a card.
Rithaniel wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: Gateways7, void_nothing

Army of Lightning 2RWB
Sorcery R
Create five 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens. Creatures you control gain flying, first strike, lifelink, and haste until end of turn.
He stood alone. Then, with a flash of indomitable light, he stood with an army at his back.
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: slimytrout, Rithaniel

Glow of the Horizon 2GG
Enchantment - Aura (R)
Enchant land
Enchanted land has "T: Search your library for a land card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library."
Gateways7 wrote:
4 years ago
netn10, rithaniel

Heart of the Isles WURG
Legendary Enchantment (mythic)
When Heart of the Isles enters the battlefield, if you cast it from your hand, take an extra turn after this one.
During extra turns, creatures you control have first strike, trample, and haste.

Render!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

Votes: netn10, wizyard

Longing for Love 1RR
Enchantment — Aura (R)
Enchant an unpaired creature you control
Enchanted creature has soulbond.
When Longing for Love enters the battlefield, you may pair enchanted creature with another unpaired creature you control.
Whenever enchanted creature or the creature it's paired with becomes the target of a spell or ability with a single target, if that spell or ability could target the other creature, copy it. The copy targets the other creature.
Notes
Show
Hide
See yesterday's card (Hunt for Knowledge) for inspiration.

If you don't want to go back, I'll repeat it here: it's the song "The Suffering" by Lagwagon, from their latest album "Railer", that just came out last month. The song is built around a speech by Bertrand Russell where he talks about the three passions that have governed his life, and I feel like they also govern my own life.

This is the second passion of Bertrand Russell's life (and mine). Hunt for Knowledge (yesterday's card) was the first.

This is a cycle of four cards: the three passions of Russell (and mine) plus a fourth card that puts them all together. I've already designed all four of them. This is card 2/4 in the cycle.

In each of the four cards I'm intentionally trying to push the boundaries in different ways. If you've read my posts in the MCC discussion thread, I'm trying to learn to do what Icarii (and others, but in that thread I was talking with him) usually do. I'm a person that naturally always plays in his comfort zone. I have to learn to venture out of it, and this four-card cycle is my current attempt.

Today I'm trying a new use for soulbond. The fact that the last ability also triggers from your opponents (not just you) targeting either creature is totally intentional. It's meant as the risk of playing this card. There's no room in the M15 frame for either soulbond's reminder text, or flavor text, which would be:
"Don't worry, darling. We're in this together!"
Last edited by bravelion83 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Henlock
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

netn10, Rithaniel

Minister of Tides uu
Creature - Merfolk Cleric (r)
Whenever a basic island enters the battlefield under your control, add , spend this mana only to cast Merfolk spells.
2/2
Last edited by Henlock 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

RattingRots
Pathological Scryer

Post by RattingRots » 4 years ago

I like almost all of these conceptually, but a lot are a bit too overpowered IMO. I might try to comment on some more if I get time.

Votes: slimytrout, Gateways7 (EDIT: Thought about this some more and I don't think it's OP)

Educated Guess 1UU
Sorcery (C)
Return up to one target instant card from your graveyard to your hand.
Draw a card.

EDIT:
notes
Show
Hide
netn10- basically echoing slimytrout. This card is ridiculously strong. I think it's probably too good even at 1UR.

Rithaniel- I think five soldiers is too many at this cost. The flexibility of being able to just use this to end the game if your opponent is at low life or you have other creatures, and also gets to just make 5 tokens for five and put you way ahead inn the life total race in all other cases (which is likely above rate even just for that scenario).

wizyard- This is costed fine. I think the ability requiring exactly 3 colors could create some frustrating situations. I get trying to specifically reward three color strategies for shards, but I think the tradeoff is probably too steep.
Last edited by RattingRots 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
For Sale: Boots of +2 intellect. Never worn.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

wizyard, gateways7

hm: netn10. I love the name, but the card is busted as hell. Absurd with snapcaster in basically all formats. Think about how much stronger Electrolyze is than Twin Bolt, and then picture a card that's that about much stronger than Lightning Bolt.

Scrapyard Shaman 2R
Creature – Goblin Shaman (R)
Nonland cards in your hand have cycling 3.
"Trash, garbage, rubbish… SHINY!"
2/2

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 4 years ago

Votes: wizyard, Rithaniel

Polar Vortex
Legendary Enchantment (Mythic Rare)
Shroud
Lands don't untap during each player's untap step. Whenever a land you control becomes tapped for mana, it taps for colorless instead.
Activated abilities of artifacts you control can't be activated.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 4 years ago

Votes: Rithaniel, void_nothing

By The Book 3WU
Instant (Rare)
Return all creatures to their owners' hands. Players can't cast creature spells this turn.
Addendum — If you cast this spell during your main phase, instead return all creatures your opponents controls to their owners' hand. You opponents can't cast creature spells until your next turn.
The law is always fair, but its consequences aren't.

Gateways7
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Gateways7 » 4 years ago

wiyzard, Rithaniel

Qann, Ancient Primality UBRG
Legendary Creature - Elemental (mythic)
Trample
During each of your turns, you may play up to one multicolored card from your graveyard.
Whenever a multicolored creature you control dies, draw a card.
4/4

Render!

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 4 years ago

Votes: bravelion83, slimytrout

Winds of Death 1wbg
Sorcery R
Each player chooses a card in their graveyard. Exile all cards not selected this way from that your opponent's graveyards. Each other player returns the card they selected to their hand.
"Winds are difficult to read. A breeze might be a soul leaving this coil to join the afterlife, or it might be a soul seeking a new body."
—Yuasha, Skara soothsayer
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Votes: Rithaniel, Gateways7

Damning Voice 3BB
Instant (C)
Exile target enchantment, planeswalker, or Angel you don't control. Its controller loses 1 life.
"Mourning alone is agony. That is why I punish you: So I have your tears for company." - Caligina, fallen archangel
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

wizyard
Pronoun: they / them

Post by wizyard » 4 years ago

Gateways7, RattingRots

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”