The DCC - November 18, 2019

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Welcome to the DCC!
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post in the DCC Discussion Thread.

How To Play

How does this card-making game work? It's simple! Whenever your card receives a vote, you receive [1] point for the month. If your card ends up with the most votes for that day, you will receive [2] additional points for the month. In the event of a tie, each person who tied receives [1] additional point. At the end of each month, the person with the most points on the scoreboard wins that month, then the scoreboard is cleared for the next month. You can participate in as many or as few days as you want in any month.

Rules

• Each day you may post any card you want. On the next day all of the posted cards will be put into the thread as long as your card didn't get disqualified - see the next point for more details. If you post more than one card in a DCC thread, only the first card you post will be taken.
  • When you vote, you need to make exactly two votes for two different people. Vote for the cards that are listed in the first post, not other cards being posted in the thread. If you notice that you've only voted for one person, include your second vote in a post, even if you're not submitting a card.
  • If you want to change your vote for any reason, post that change in the day's thread (you can include it with your card if you want). Changed votes in the discussion thread will be ignored.
  • Voting for only one person, for three or more people, or for yourself will earn you an asterisk by your name in the monthly leaderboard. So will failing to vote if you've posted a card. (We're not going to do anything about people who don't vote or post cards; that would be kind of silly.) This indicates that you're on probation for the next 21 days. If you're on probation and you make another improper vote, your card will be disqualified. Repeated disqualification is grounds for warnings and/or infractions for not following the game rules, so please don't do it.
  • Voting for everything in the poll will be grounds for a lifetime ban from the DCC. Don't do it. It just wastes the thread creators' time.
  • If you wish to post a render, please use the hyperlink option when posting your card and make the card name the image link. Renders are usually large enough to clog up the list, so submit a text-formed card and (optionally) a link in the name to the render.
  • This thread is just for your card submission. Take your questions/comments to our discussion thread. If it's a question, comment, or complaint about probation, PM void_nothing and/or the month's DCC organizer.
  • When posting make sure that:
    • You have included all of the previous day's entries.
    • You update the leaderboard with the previous day's scores.
(An easy way to post the new thread is to hit the multiquote button on every post in the previous day's thread, then click Post Reply. Select everything in this post, copy it, and then paste it into the first post for a new thread. You'll have to clean up a few small things, like quote tags around the opening post and the previous day's cards.)

Notes of the Day

With the scores being what they are this deep into the month, it'll be a close race.

DCC Scoreboard

RattingRots 40 (+3)
slimytrout 39 (+1)
Rithaniel 38 (+1)
netn10 35 (+6)
Gateways7 31 (+2)
bravelion83 30 (+3)
void_nothing 27 (+1)
Henlock 23 (+2)
Koopa 22
Sagharri 16
wizyard 12 (+0)
kwanyeegor-ii 3
FoilSquared 3
Legend 1
marioguy3 1
crapskidoo 0 (+0)

netn10 wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: RattingRots, Henlock

Vile Strike BRG
Instant (Common)
Target creature gains first strike and deathtouch until end of turn.
Draw a card.
The goblin drew the poison from his nose, and the rest was history.
slimytrout wrote:
4 years ago
void_nothing, gateways7

Laris, the Blessed 3GW
Legendary Creature – Cat Monk (R)
When Laris, the Blessed enters the battlefield, create a white Aura enchantment token and attach it to Laris. The token has enchant creature and totem armor.
Laris has lifelink and vigilance as long as it's enchanted.
4/4
folding_music wrote:
4 years ago
votes: netn10, slimytrout

Natural Easel
Land (R)
: Add .
1, : Add one mana of any color.
Spells with Converge and Sunburst resolve as if they had been played with an additional color of mana.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
4 years ago
bravelion83 rithaniel

Dread Mummies 5BB
Creature--Zombie (Uncommon)
Flash, Deathtouch
Dread Mummies can't be blocked except by four or more creatures
4/8
Henlock wrote:
4 years ago
RattingRots, Gateways7

Inch Away w
Instant (u)
Untap target creature and temove it from combat. Counter all apells and abilities targetting that creature.
Draw a card.
Rithaniel wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: wizyard, bravelion83

Yosina, Hall of Time
Legendary Land R
: Add and put a charge counter on Yosina, Hall of Time.
, Remove three charge counters from Yosina: Add one mana of any color and you gain 3 life.
Yosina is a slow place. Decades may pass wherein the walls are gray and devoid of life. For the patient, though, eventually they will see it's true splendor.
RattingRots wrote:
4 years ago
bravelion83, netn10

crapskidoo - Welcome! Nothing wrong with your post. Don't worry about when you post, as long as you post on the most recent thread you should be fine. If you accidentally do post in a previous day's thread, you're not going to be banned or put on probation.

Cabal Researcher 1BB
Creature - Human Wizard
Haste
, Sacrifice a creature: If it's your main phase, target player discards a card.
1/1
"Continue the trials!"
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: netn10, RattingRots

Seafloor Eruption 1R
Instant (U)
Choose one -
• Add URR.
• Seafloor Eruption deals 4 damage to target Merfolk, Kraken, Leviathan, Octopus, Serpent, or Kiora.
wizyard wrote:
4 years ago
henlock, netn10 (think it needs to say 'without paying its activation cost')
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

wizyard
Pronoun: they / them

Post by wizyard » 4 years ago

Rithaniel, Henlock

Symbiotic Sliver 1U
Creature - Sliver (R)
As Symbiotic Sliver enters the battlefield, choose a creature type.
Each Sliver you control is the chosen type in addition to its other types.
Each creature you control of the chosen type is a Sliver in addition to its other types.
2/1

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

Votes: netn10, slimytrout
Honorable mention
Show
Hide
RattingRots - Missing rarity costs you my vote. I'm sorry. I really like the card and I would have totally voted for it if it had a rarity.
Ok, I've missed a day. I can't write what's right now in my head, but you can probably imagine it... I hope it doesn't cost me an eventual final victory... Anyway, this was the card I meant to post for yesterday. We'll start again from here. I'll keep exploring the design space of this ability for several days... I've discovered there are so many things to do with it that I'm seriously thinking about putting it in one of the many custom sets that I have in mind or I'm already designing!

Student of Currents 3U
Creature — Merfolk Wizard (R)
Intensify 1U (You may pay an additional 1U as you activate any of this permanent's activated abilities.)
1U, T: Draw a card. Then discard a card unless this ability was intensified.
U, T: Target creature you control gains flying until end of turn. If this ability was intensified, instead that creature can't be blocked this turn.
"Water and air are both fluids, so the same laws governing currents apply to both of them."
2/3
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

Rithaniel, folding_music

Atmospheric Inversion 1U
Instant (U)
Each creature with flying loses flying until end of turn. All other creatures gain flying.
Draw a card.

(This weather-related card is partly inspired by marioguy3's earlier submission of The Polar Vortex. Atmospheric inversions are a real phenomenon, and they're important in controlling air pollution and tornadoes, among other thing.)
Last edited by slimytrout 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

votes: RattingRots, void_nothing

Cracks in the Pavement, 1bb
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant land you don't control
Whenever enchanted land becomes tapped, its controller taps all creatures they control and you create a 1/1 black Horror creature.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 4 years ago

Votes: Henlock, void_nothing

Tin Soldier 1W
Artifact Creature - Soldier (Uncommon)
Whenever Tin Soldier is dealt damage by a red source, destroy it.
The fires of love leaving nothing but a smiling soldier, melted in the shape of a little tin heart.
2/4

Gateways7

Post by Gateways7 » 4 years ago

slimytrout, voidnothing

A World on the Edge 2BB
Sorcery (mythic)
For each creature, create an Aura enchantment token named Brink of Disaster with "Enchant creature or land" and "When enchanted permanent becomes tapped, destroy it" and attach it to that creature.
Everything comes to an end sooner or later.

RattingRots
Pathological Scryer

Post by RattingRots » 4 years ago

slimytrout, folding_music
notes on Rithaniel's card
Show
Hide
I'm assuming this card is going in your color/colorless matters set. If so it's kind of interesting that in some cases you won't want to use the mana of any color ability. If this isn't your intent I believe you could do "mana of any type" - allowing the player to both gain life and use the land for colorless mana.
Reflective Drake 3UU
Creature - Drake (U)
Flying
When ~ enters the battlefield, mimic (Create a creature token that's a copy of target creature, except it's a 1/1
2/2
For Sale: Boots of +2 intellect. Never worn.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

slimytrout, Rithaniel

Swoop the Grandstand 3b
Instant (u)
Spectacle 2b
Swoop the Grandstand costs less to cast if an opponent has been dealt damage by a Faerie this turn.
Create two 1/1 black Faerie creature tokens with flying. Lose 2 life.

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 4 years ago

Votes: netn10, void_nothing
RattingRots
Show
Hide
You picked up on it. The intention is to have a bit of tension between the mechanics of the set and that particular card, but if that card were used outside of the set, that tension might not exist.

I'm not 100% of the flavor of the design. Like, I don't know what Yosina necessarily is, so that might change.
Madflame Wisp
Creature - Elemental U
Flying
: Target creature attacks this turn if able.
: Regenerate Madflame Wisp.
A wild spirit, it's very presence calls out to the animal side of any mind.
2/2
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Votes: folding_music, Henlock

Concentrating Thief 1U
Creature - Merfolk Pirate (R)
Islandwalk
Whenever Concentrating Thief deals combat damage to a player, you may pay 2UU. If you do, draw three cards.
1/2
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”