spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
bravelion83 (Jund's Vengeance): Dealing X damage to each of three targets feels like a big deal compared to how these spells usually work, but it's probably on-brand and OK the way you've managed it.

Koopa (sparkblast): Ok, thinking about the epic situation that would justify that send-off for Jaya gives me chills. Nice flavor text, and nice flavor on the card. That's a big cost considering you could be spending these counters on other powerful abilities, so it feels justifiable. I'd probably add "this spell can't be countered" to avoid a potential enormous downside if it's countered.

netn10 (Bendable Lightning): A cute and functional design. Weighs up pretty well against the similar uncommon Arc Lightning on its pros and cons, which is great, and I see your nod to it in the name. :D

barbecube (Flamekin Uprising): Nice solid tribal design. Core 2020 makes me afraid of this, lol. Flavor and function are good and come together well. There are decks that could probably break this cost wide open but that's what you get for playing tribal; design would have to manage that.

Flatline (Double Strike): I'm shocked there isn't a card with this name! This is a great concept. It compares well to fellow common Needle Drop. It might be a bit much at Common, but Uncommon is fine.
I don't think it should be called Double Strike (on account of it doesn't give double strike, compare Lifelink and Vigilance, and how Explore was left out of Ixalan because it doesn't explore) but it's a good playtest name anyway.

RaikouRider (Spark Volley): Pretty compelling modal design here. Nice thinking!
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Barbecube
2. Flatline
3. RaikouRider

Henlock
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

spacemonaut: Good mash of effects for a big X spell Red and white elementals seem weird. A whitish token such as human or soldier would makes it look better.

Icary: I like the effect on the aftermath, I do think that hitting planeswalker with this kind of effects is the way to go since the direct damage errata and rule change.

Ryder: rupture for the modern gentleman, I like it.

InkTreader: 6 damage in one card is something to keep an eye on. This can fuel your burn very solidly, possibly too solidly.

Gateways7: Wiping the table is a decent goal for storm This can help some decks that lack removal to get rid of many things at once.

JimmyGroove: Too cheap for something so one-sided.
This could work if the opponent is the onw cjoosing.

1. Gateways7
2. Ryder
3. spacemonaut

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Flatline » 4 years ago

Crits
Show
Hide
RaikouRider - This card is pretty cool if you sink enough into X, but it's just weird if X is 2 or less. If X is 1, you can deal 1 damage to any target, or 2 damage to any target. If X is 2, you can deal 2 damage to one target, or you can deal 2 damage to two targets. I know X spells are meant to really shine the more mana you have, but how this card works at a low mana cost is just odd to me.

Subject16 - The name of this card says it all. You're probably not going to cast a mass Fling unless you're going to win the game with it. I'm not generally a fan of win or go home type cards like this. I'm pretty sure I'd just throw this card out in anger the first time it got countered.

slimytrout - This card seems really underpowered for a rare. I'd say you could change it to any target and still make it to an uncommon.

Henlock - I'm not a big fan of cards that rely on a specific planeswalker to be at their best. Still, I could see something like this existing.

Jimmy Groove - This feels almost like Bonfire of the Damned without the miracle. It just has to be too strong.

Gateways7 - Storm usually makes me nervous, but the symmetrical effect makes this seem ok. I'm not so sure how good giving Modern storm a board wipe sounds to me though. :)
Top 3
Show
Hide
1: Gateways7
2: RaikouRider
3: Henlock
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”