slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

kypster
Show
Hide
Adopted Egg 1G
Creature - Egg {R}
Defender, Soulbond (You may pair this creature with another unpaired creature when either enters the battlefield. They remain paired for as long as you control both of them.)
When Adopted Egg enters the battlefield, look at the top five cards of your library, exile one face down, then put the rest on the bottom of your library.
As long as Adopted Egg is paired with another creature it gains "When Adopted Egg dies, reveal the exiled card. If it's a creature card that shares a creature type with the creature Adopted Egg was paired with, put it onto the battlefield."
0/1
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal – Timmy likes cheating big creatures on to the battlefield, as does Johnny. Spike sees interesting play decisions, but also a 0/1 defender for two mana.
(1/3) Elegance – The use of soulbond is clever, but the fact that it breaks the mold of all the other soulbond cards is confusing, since usually both cards get some kind of benefit. More importantly, this is a lot of text – so much so that it looks like microtext when rendered. In fact, there is one more line of text than on the most crowded card printed to date (Animate Dead), so a substantial deduction for that.

Development
(3/3) Viability – Yeah, putting creatures straight onto the battlefield is definitely green and definitely rare.
(2.5/3) Balance – Cards like these are always hard to evaluate – the stats are awful, but the ability is clearly abusable, mostly in older formats. I can't see it doing anything in standard, but is there potential in Modern or EDH? The most powerful thing that I can think of is Adopted Egg exiling Emrakul, the Aeons Torn plus, say, Smothering Abomination – probably not a Tier 1 deck, mostly because the main combo piece is so fragile and because you need to have enough fatties in your deck to hit one in the top five cards, but maybe good enough for Tier 2, so only a small deduction.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness – I was all set to give this a perfect score here, and then I found Clone Shell. Obviously the soulbond thing is a novel twist, but the basic idea is clearly derived from the earlier card.
(3/3) Flavor – Yeah, it's a fun idea – the egg finds a new parent and then only hatches if it is being nurtured by the same type of creature. No flavor text needed.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality – As Clone Shell shows, it's "turn the exiled card face up" not "reveal the exiled card." (-0.5)
(2/2) Main Challenge – Yep. It's not always going to have the death trigger, but since said trigger is the whole point of the card I think it fulfills the challenge.
(2/2) Subchallenges – Green card, and has both Defender and Soulbond.

Total: 20.5/25
netn10
Show
Hide
Guide of the Dead R
Creature - Zombie (Rare)
When Guide of the Dead dies, until your next turn's end step, creature cards in your graveyard have unearth 2R.
Embalm 2R
Eternalize 4RR
It knows all the ways from the underworld and back, and its doubts to share them are long gone.
1/1
Design
(3/3) Appeal – Timmy likes getting their big creatures back, even if it's temporary, and they definitely likes doing it twice. Johnny sees a lot of combo potential. Spike sees a ton of different choices about when this dies and when to bring it back.
(1.5/3) Elegance – It doesn't have too much text, but that's mostly because there are three different abilities with their reminder texts left out. Sometimes rares and above can do that, but not three at once – this card would result in a lot of judge calls. Also, the "until your next turn's end step" is confusing – why not go with "until the end of your next turn," since unearth is sorcery speed anyway?

Development
(2/3) Viability – I don't think Red really gets mass unearth like this. Red is secondary in reanimation, which generally means that it's able to do it on one-off spells but shouldn't do it in en masse. Rare is definitely correct though.
(3/3) Balance – Obviously giving everything unearth for three mana is powerful, but I don't think it's busted since you're not going to be able to get back that many things this way. It would require some sort of aristocrats build that is also playing fatties, which is an unusual enough archetype that I doubt this poses much of a risk.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness – Yeah, I don't think anything like this has ever been printed before – three reanimation abilities on one card is definitely new.
(3/3) Flavor – The flavor text is a little awkward, but the card fits well enough into a graveyard-themed set that I'll let it slide.

Polish
(2/3) Quality – Minus half a point for leaving off the reminder text for unearth. Based on the precedent of Vizier of Many Faces I think the other two are allowable, but unearth has so many parts that I think it needs to be on the card. Also, it should be "gain unearth" (see Snapcaster Mage) rather than "have unearth" which is for static effects like Sedris, the Traitor King.
(2/2) Main Challenge – Yep.
(2/2) Subchallenges – Not black (even if it maybe should be – see viability) and has three different keywords abilities.

Total: 21.5/25
Koopa
Show
Hide
Spider Nest 1G
Creature - Spider Egg (U)
Reach
When Spider Nest dies, create three 1/2 green Spider creature tokens with reach.
"I'd much rather deal with werewolves, they don't have as many eyes." - Tara, Ulvenwald Tracker
0/3
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal – Timmy likes a lot of spiders for their spider tribal deck, but it having to die first isn't that appealing. Johnny doesn't mind four bodies for a sacrifice deck, but would prefer to go infinite. Spike likes some value, but wishes it involved more skill.
(3/3) Elegance – Short and to the point.

Development
(3/3) Viability – Yeah, definitely green, and three tokens should be at least uncommon.
(3/3) Balance – Maybe standard playable in some kind of aristocrats deck, definitely a good early blocker for ramp/control in limited.

Creativity
(0.5/3) UniquenessKnight of the Last Breath, Sprouting Thrinax, and Worldspine Wurm all do virtually the same thing with a variety of stats and keywords. Nothing new here.
(2.5/3) Flavor – Egg creatures almost always have defender, so a bit of a flavor fail there, but otherwise good.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality – For attribution flavor text, the person who's saying it always goes on a new line. (-0.5)
(2/2) Subchallenges – Not black and has reach.

Total: 20/25
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Opposition Analysis 1U
Enchantment - Aura (C)
Enchant creature
Whenever enchanted creature attacks, draw a card. If you do, discard a card.
When Opposition Analysis doesn't resolve or is put into your graveyard from the battlefield, you may draw two cards. If you do, discard two cards.
"That didn't go well. Let's try a different approach."

Design
(1.5/3) Appeal – Timmy doesn't want this at all – what good is an aura that doesn't make the creature any better? Johnny enjoys looting, especially since they get to do it twice if the creature dies. Spike would hate it if it weren't for the blowout protection ("doesn't resolve") and the fact that you can put it on your opponent's creatures, as is they're okay with it but wishes it wasn't inherent card disadvantage.
(2.5/3) Elegance – I don't think that "doesn't resolve" is the most elegant way to template that ability, even if I don't have enough evidence to say that it's wrong. It would have more or less the same functionality (and read better) if it said "When Opposition Analysis is put into your graveyard from the battlefield or the stack" – after all, spells that are countered or fizzle go straight from the stack to the graveyard.

Development
(2/3) Viability – Blue is right for looting, but commons shouldn't be talking about resolving – especially things not resolving – outside of reminder text. That's only happened once in a standard legal set (Soulbright Flamekin and it was in a much more straightforward context.
(2/3) Balance – This seems weak even as far as limited goes. You're always going to be down a card, and your opponent will often get to decide whether they let you loot twice right away or have you keep looting once every turn. Unlikely to make a splash in constructed, where you can often just play an actual looter for the same price.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness – There's been a few "loot whenever this attacks" cards, most notably Smuggler's Copter. There have also been a few "when this aura is put into a graveyard from the battlefield," like Rancor although most (but not all) simply rebuy the aura. The "doesn't resolve" functionality is original though.
(2/3) Flavor – Kind of confusing flavor. The name makes me think that you're doing research on your opponent, but the flavor text doesn't reinforce that at all. Obviously it's harder to do more abstract cards without any art, but I still think it could have been clearer what's going on.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality – Should be "is put into a graveyard from the battlefield – see all the cards cited in Uniqueness. (-0.5)
(2/2) Subchallenges – Not black, but no keyword abilities, just keyword actions. EDIT: missed that enchant was a keyword ability. My bad.

Total: 18.5/25
Flatline
Show
Hide
Impetuous Warlord 2r
Creature — Orc Warrior (U)
As an additional cost to cast Impetuous Warlord, discard a card.
Haste
When Impetuous Warlord dies, draw two cards.
Those that rush carelessly into battle, rarely get the opportunity to learn from their mistake.
2/2
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal – Timmy isn't really interested – it's an undersized creature without much tribal appeal that you need to discard a card to cast. Johnny is moderately interested, since it draws a lot of cards if they have sacrifice and recursion, but they'd probably prefer an effect that actually helps them win. Spike definitely likes it – they're a fan of Thrill of Possibility and this is that on a stick.
(3/3) Elegance – Nice and simple.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability – Red doesn't usually get draw cards as a death trigger (for precisely the reasons that Johnny is interested in it), but the parallels with rummaging are strong enough that it's just a bend. Uncommon is correct.
(3/3) Balance – I think this right on the border of being a reasonable card in limited – it's almost certainly weaker than Youthful Scholar, but that was pretty good in DTK limited and in a set with some sacrifice and recursion (as any good graveyard set should) Impetuous Warlord would be a strong build-around. Don't think it would see much play in constructed though.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness – This specific card hasn't been done before, but it's got plenty of forebears: Tormenting Voice, Youthful Scholar, Lesser Masticore, etc.
(2.5/3) Flavor – A few minor typos in the flavor text (should be "Those who rush carelessly into battle rarely get the opportunity to learn from their mistakes.") but I'm not taking off points for those. The only quibble I have is that you actually are learning from their mistakes, since you're drawing two when the creature dies, so a little bit of dissonance there.

Polish
(3/3) Quality – All good.
(2/2) Subchallenges – Not black, haste.

Total: 21/25
ForestsCarl
Show
Hide
Ghost of Hauntings Past 4WU
Creature - Angel Horror
Flying
When this creature dies, create a token copy of target creature card in a graveyard with converted mana cost less than this card, except it has flying and this ability.
Remember, your nightmares remain.
5/5
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal – Timmy loves this card – your six drop brings back your five drop (with flying to boot) which then brings back your four drop. Some Johnnies are interested (the ones who are into clever deckbuilding) but the fact that it doesn't combo so much as chain means that some aren't into it. Spike definitely likes it – a must-kill creature with tons of value.
(2/3) Elegance – A little confusing because of the recursive nature of the ability – it's only been done before on shapeshifters (or shapeshifter-like things), and those cards have the ability actually printed on them, so putting it on tokens would probably cause some memory issues.

Development
(2/3) Viability – Those colors can do it, but no rarity given so I can't actually judge that (ergo, no points).
(3/3) Balance – Definitely playable, but requires a graveyard stocked with just the right goodies to truly go off. Would be super fun in a cube.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness – A bit reminiscent of soulshift, but otherwise totally new.
(2/3) Flavor – A bit of a flavor fail on creature types: it's an Angel Horror that's also a ghost (i.e., Spirit), and then the flavor text mentions nightmares.

Polish
(1.5/3) Quality – No rarity (-1). Should be "token that's a copy" (see Progenitor Mimic). (-0.5)
(2/2) Subchallenges – Not black, flying.

Total: 19.5/25
Stankweed Imp
Show
Hide
Angel of Final Flight 3uw
Creature- angel (r)
Flying

Imprint — Whenever a nontoken creature dies, you may exile that card. If you do, return each other card exiled with Angel of Final Flight to its owner's graveyard.

Whenever Angel of Final flight attacks, you may create a token that's a copy of a card exiled with Angel of Final Flight and put it onto the battlefield tapped and attacking. Exile it at end of combat.

"A final flight then to your final rest."
4/4
Design
(2/3) Appeal – Timmy likes this card – all the big beaters that die come back swinging. Johnny would just prefer a mimic vat – he doesn't want a similar card that has summoning sickness and dies to creature removal. Spike definitely likes it – lots of complicated decisions and a bunch of value off of ETB effects.
(2/3) Elegance – Definitely a fairly large number of words, but done in a pretty straightforward way. However, the flavor text doesn't fit on the card – it's already 10 lines worth of text even without it.

Development
(3/3) Viability – Correct colors, correct rarity.
(3/3) Balance – Very strong card (especially in multiplayer), but I think on the right side of being too busted. Especially because if it's killed before it can attack it doesn't do anything.

Creativity
(2/3) UniquenessGeist of Saint Traft plus Mimic Vat. A fun combination, but a fairly straightforward one nonetheless.
(3/3) Flavor – Good flavor, even if it wouldn't actually fit on the card.

Polish
(0.5/3) Quality – Mana symbols are in the wrong order (-0.5). Angel should be capitalized in the type line (-0.5). Imprint should be italicized (-0.5). Missing capitalization of its own name in an ability (-0.5). Shouldn't be line gaps between abilities (-0.5).
(0.5/2) Main Challenge – I'm not going to DQ over this, but I specifically said in the clarifications that "whenever a creature dies" triggers didn't really count, because they produce a trivial trigger when the creature itself dies. In this case, there is a potentially meaningful trigger that happens – the Angel can exile itself – but usually you wouldn't want to do that and it's not really the focus of the card.
(2/2) Subchallenges – Not black; flying and imprint.

Total: 18/25
Scores (bold advance)
Show
Hide
netn10: 21.5
Flatline: 21
Kypster: 20.5
Koopa: 20

ForestsCarl: 19.5
Ink-Treader: 18.5
Stankweed Imp: 18

Unfortunately the final slot is decided by a missing rarity, but sometimes that's how it goes.
Dragonlover, out of competition
Show
Hide
Bala Ged Restorer 2g
Creature - Elf Druid (U)
Converge — Bala Ged Restorer enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each color of mana spent to cast it.

When Bala Ged Restorer dies, return target card with converted mana cost less than or equal to Bala Ged Restorer's power from your graveyard to your hand.
0/1
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal – Timmy is down for a 3/4 for 3, but doesn't love that that's the ceiling. Johnny likes that they can loop multiples if they have the correct mana. Spike likes the value.
(3/3) Elegance – Yeah, easy enough to understand.

Development
(3/3) Viability – Correct colors, correct rarity.
(3/3) Balance – The ability to loop them is a little worrying, but it's obviously no more dangerous that Eternal Witness. Reasonable in limited, since a 2/3 for 3 that returns a 2-drop to your hand when it dies is alright.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness – It's a Tajuru Stalwart with a soulshift-like ability. The power-dependent part has never been done before, but it's hardly revolutionary.
(2/3) Flavor – I could definitely see this in a Zendikar set, and I like the reference to the fall of Bala Ged. However, it's hard for me to picture Zendikar being a graveyard-matters set, even post-Eldrazi -- the plane is just so linked to lands and adventures. I think there could be a graveyard subtheme, but that's not really what the challenge asked for.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality – Extra blank line inserted between abilities (-0.5).
(2/2) Subchallenges – Not black; converge.

Last edited by slimytrout 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

Dragonlover
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

Legend
Show
Hide
Arcanomancer 4
Creature - Human Wizard (U)
4/1
Prowess
When Arcanomancer dies, return target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand.
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johnny/Spike) have a use for the card? - Timmy's enjoying the 4 power and the chance to get it higher with prowess, but isn't necessarily jazzed about the having to die to get a thing back. Jenny is more than happy with performing shenanigans to get back a spell, and Spike enjoys the decision tree it forces onto the opponent.
(3/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense? - It's a wizard that wizards wizardly, makes sense to me.

Development
(3/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity? - All good here, if you saw it in the spoiler for an upcoming set it wouldn't feel out of place. Izzet doesn't tend to get dies triggers, but as it's a graveyard set the slight bend is acceptable.
(3/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment? - Can't see this breaking anything or being particularly oppressive in any format, casual or other wise.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"? - There are currently no creatures that return an instant or sorcery to your hand when the creature dies, although Scribe of the Mindful is a thing, and there are multiple cards that do it on ETB. A good tweak on an existing concept.
(2/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players? - The names a bit generic, and I'd have liked some flavour text, if only to explain how this wizard is able to punch so comparatively high above his weight class.

Polish
(1.5/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating. - Spelling and grammar are fine, but the P/T is in totally the wrong place and there's no reminder text for prowess.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(2/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: 21/25
The_Hittite
Show
Hide
Overflowing Outrage r
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has haste and attacks each combat if able.
When Overflowing Outrage is put into your graveyard from the battlefield, it deals 3 damage to any target.
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johnny/Spike) have a use for the card? Tammy is putting this on something that was likely going to be attacking anyway and also enjoys the added surprise haste. Johnny and Spike aren't all that fussed, but can both probably find marginal uses for it.
(3/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense? I'd say it does, the creature is incredibly hacked off, to the point its anger is a physically manifesting force.

Development
(3/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity? - No bends or breaks (beyond the graveyard set necessity), and given the GY set I'd say uncommon is correct as otherwise it might show up too much in Limited.
(3/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment? - All fine here.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"? - Precisely one Aura with a trigger like this has been printed, Chime of Night from all the way back in Urza's Destiny. Every other Aura "dies trigger" returns the Aura to your hand a la Rancor. The Lightning Bolt reference is neat, and there's only a handful of Auras that make the creature attack each combat.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players? I could see it as a card name, flavour ties together nicely, but again no flavour text.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating. - All fine here
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?

Total: 22.5/25
blydden
Show
Hide
Sigiled Unicorn WW
Creature — Unicorn (U)
Vigilance
When Sigiled Unicorn dies, each player draws a card.
Prized by both hunters and alchemists, a unicorn's horn is worth three times its weight in gold.
2/3

Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johnny/Spike) have a use for the card? - Spike likes it, as it's incredibly efficient for the mana. Timmy likes anything that lets them attack and still block, Jenny is a bit eh on it.
(3/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense? - Yeah I'd say it all fits together nicely.

Development
(3/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity? - All good here, it's a but pushed but it's definitely an uncommon and shared draw is now part of white's pie.
(2.5/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment? - The vigilance might be a bit much, especially since in the WW mirror match these things are just gonna bounce off each other for eternity. Other than that it's fine.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"? - The only shared draw on death trigger I could find is Runed Servitor. Obviously this is a brand new addition to white's slice of the pie, and makes total sense to put on an aggressive creature. I'll go with feeling pretty damn fresh.
(3/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players? - No problems from me here.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.

Total: 24/25
Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Eco of Life 1g
Creature - Incarnation {R}
Flash
When Eco of Life enters the battlefield, you gain 3 life.
When Eco of Life dies, draw a card.
Exile Eco of Life from your graveyard: Add g.
2/2
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johnny/Spike) have a use for the card? - Tammy no, Johnny yes, Spike will play it because it does all the things.
(2/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense? - Bit of a staplegun design.

Development
(3/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity? - All good here.
(2.5/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment? - Might get a bit oppressive depending on the recursion in the format, but otherwise fine.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"? - None of this is exactly new, but this combination is new.
(1.5/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players? - I have no idea what Eco of Life means, and the lack of flavour text isn't helping me out here at all.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.

Total: 20.5/25
Subject16
Show
Hide
Nyxmantle Phoenix 4rr
Enchantment Creature - Phoenix (Rare)
Bestow 5rr (If you cast this card for its bestow cost, it's an Aura spell with enchant creature. It becomes a creature again if it's not attached to a creature.)
Flying, haste
Enchanted creature gets +3/+3 and has flying, haste, and "When this creature dies, return it to its owner's hand."
When Nyxmantle Phoenix dies, return its owner's hand.
3/3
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johnny/Spike) have a use for the card? Timmy and Jenny absolutely, it's probably too expensive for Spike.
(3/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense? - Yup, it's one of those cards that is kind of surprising doesn't already exist. Maybe next set eh?

Development
(3/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity? - No problems here, it's a phoenix that does phoenix things.
(3/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment? - If it was cheaper it would probably get kind of oppressive, but at this cost it's fine.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"? - This is a fresh use of bestow, although 'enchanted creature comes back' is used here and there it's generally in black.
(3/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players? - Slam-dunk here as far as I'm concerned.

Polish

Total: 23.5/25
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Soul Gardener 4gw
Creature - Angel {R}
Flying
Whenever Soul Gardener or another nontoken creature you control dies, you may create a token that's a copy of that creature, except it's a white Spirit in addition to its other colors and types.
Spirit creature tokens you control can't attack or block.
If a Spirit you control would die, exile it instead.
4/6
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johnny/Spike) have a use for the card? - I think this hits all three psychographics, although Timmy isn't 100% enthused about having to jump through hoops to get the tokens to be able to attack and block.
(2/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense? - It needs at least one re-read, one ability cares about Spirit tokens whereas the other cares about all Spirits and it's just a lot to take in.

Development
(3/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity? - I think the 'Spirit tokens can't attack or block' is what fixes this at rare, without that it'd be a mythic for sure.
(2.5/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment? - Could end up a little oppressive (imagine it with Siege Rhino for instance)but overall is fine. I'd be worried about having multiple copies out as well.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"? - Most reminiscent of the Sculptor guy from the latest Commander set, but otherwise is fairly original.
(2/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players? - I'm not sure where the gardener aspect is coming from, I suspect this is one where the art would help sell the concept more.

Polish

Rankings
Show
Hide
Bold advance

blydden - 24/25
Subject16 - 23.5/25
The_Hittite - 22.5/25
RaikouRider - 21.5/25

Legend - 21/25
Freyleyes - 20.5/25
Dragonlover