Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

CCL October Round 2

"Fear of the Unknown"

It That Rides as One, taken from magicthegathering.com, by Daarken and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's October, and we all know what that means in both Custom Card Contests and out in the real world: Are you ready to get spooked? This month will be tribal themed, around the creepiest creature types Magic has to offer.

Challenge
Design a creature card with one or more of the following types on its typeline: Avatar, Eldrazi, Horror, Illusion, Nightmare, or Reflection.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • No, changeling does not count.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this second round! Your submissions are due Monday, October 14th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (September 30th-October 7th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (October 8th–14th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due October 16th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (October 17th–20th)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due October 22nd)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (Ocrober 23rd–26th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due October 28th)
  • Final (End of month, winner determined by public poll)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

Lamentation of the Intrepid BB
Creature - Horror (R)
Deathtouch
Whenever a land enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, if that player had another land enter the battlefield under their control this turn, they sacrifice a creature and lose 2 life.
1/3

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 4 years ago

Mirror Twin uu
Creature - Reflection (U)
Defender
Whenever Mirror Twin blocks, it becomes a copy of any creature blocked by it at your choice until end of turn.
"Go to the mirror at night. Wait a minute. Ignite the candle. Try not to scream."
- Innistrad children's game

0/3

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Yithian Phanthasm 3BB
Creature - Shapeshifter Nightmare (Rare)
Yithian Shapeshifter gets +1/+1 for each creature in exile owned by an opponent.
Yithian Shapeshifter has the keyword abilities of all creatures in exile owned by opponents.
1, Pay 1 life: Add one mana of any color. This mana can only be used to pay for the activated abilities of Shapeshifters and Nightmares you control.
"They say there are things that should not be, personally I don't see it." — Tulan of the Void.
2/2
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

Enigmatic Mirage 1UU
Creature — Illusion (U)
Whenever Enigmatic Mirage becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, sacrifice Enigmatic Mirage, then draw a card.
1UU: Choose one —
• Enigmatic Mirage gains hexproof until end of turn.
• Change a target of target spell or ability an opponent controls to Enigmatic Mirage.
You won't know whether it's real or not until you try to touch it.
3/3
Note on flavor text
Show
Hide
Yes, it's an intended reference to Schrödinger's cat.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

Soul of Ixalan 4RG
Creature – Avatar (MR)
Haste
XRG: Until end of turn, target attacking creature gets +X/+X and gains "Whenever this creature is dealt damage, it deals X damage to any target."
XRG, Exile Soul of Ixalan from your graveyard: Until end of turn, target attacking creature gets +X/+X and gains "Whenever this creature is dealt damage, it deals X damage to any target."
6/6

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 4 years ago

Creature - Avatar (Mythic Rare)
Players can't gain life.
Players can't draw more than two cards each turn.
Players can't search libraries.
7/7
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 4 years ago

Plowshare Impaler 8
Creature--Eldrazi Scarecrow (Rare)
Double strike, vigilance
When you cast Plowshare Impaler, you may exile target creature. If you do, you gain life equal to that creature's power
Emerge 6W
4/2
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

Hack-o-Lantern BBRR
Creature — Horror Knight (R)
Menace
Whenever Hack-o-Lantern and at least two other creatures attack, Hack-o-Lantern gains double strike until end of turn.
Whenever a creature dies, its controller loses 1 life.
3/3
Last edited by spacemonaut 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 4 years ago

Caller of the Void 2GU
Creature - Eldrazi (Rare)
Devoid (This card has no color.)
You may look at the top card of your library any time.
You may play the top card of your library if it's a colorless card.
4/4

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

Ephialtic Angel 2WWW
Creature - Nightmare Angel (Mythic)
Flying, vigilance, protection from white
1, Discard a card: Ephialtic Angel gets +2/+1 until end of turn.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Ephialtic Angel is in your graveyard and an opponent has more cards in their hand than you, return Ephialtic Angel to your hand unless that player discards cards equal to the difference.
Sigarda still dreams of her fallen sisters. When she wakes, she prays they remained where they were.
4/4

Gateways7
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Gateways7 » 4 years ago

Soul of Amonkhet 4BB
Cycling 2
4BB, Exile a creature card from your graveyard: Create a token that's a copy of it, except it's a 4/4 black Zombie in addition to it's other colors and types.
Eternalize 4BB
6/6

barbecube

Post by barbecube » 4 years ago

Hollow Apparition
1U
Creature — Illusion
Sacrifice Hollow Apparition: Change the target of target spell or ability with a single target.

2/1
formerly willows

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Just over 12 hours left so if you want to submit, get 'em in!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Round is closed. Please critique the six contestants above you on this list, looping to the bottom as necessary.

Ink-Treader
Raptorchan
Krishnath
bravelion83
slimytrout
marioguy3
kwanyeegor-ii
spacemonaut
netn10
Subject16
Gateways7
barbecube

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

bravelion83: I like the idea and spirit behind the card, but neither of the choices of the activated ability actually stop it from being sacrificed even if it fizzles or redirects a target. However you can do fun Spellskite shenanigans by directing targets to it then countering them all with hexproof. (Mind you they would all become countered from the sacrifice trigger). There's interesting applications here but it would need some tweaking.

slimytrout: This has interesting applications with indestructible and Enrage/damage triggers, but it doesn't seem SUPER unfair compared with something like Kessig Wolf Run. The damage trigger does make me question if it makes it worth blocking, but as a combat trick it can be devastating.

marioguy3: Very simple, very nice hatebeast, although I would rather it be a ridiculous punisher effect rather than just "player's can't X" which feels a bit more white to me.

kwanyeegor-ii: I've always wanted more white eldrazi, and I like this one, especially with the "giving life to inanimate objects" vibe. The Swords to Plowshares reference is pretty neat and the scarecrow tie-in is very fitting. Double Strike AND Vigilance might be too good though.

spacemonaut: Bataillon is an interesting mechanic to put onto a BR creature, and flavourfully I don't know what makes it useful. I kinda want this to be a Scarecrow as well?

netn10: Nice use of colorless matters, and GU has the "play from top of library" thing going for it. It's on a strong body as well, a bit too strong perhaps when you think about other cards with this type of effect.

Top three:
1. kwanyeegor-ii
2. netn10
3. slimytrout

barbecube

Post by barbecube » 4 years ago

Crits
Show
Hide
marioguy3: The "more than two" spoils the otherwise pleasing symmetry of this card.

kwanyeegor-ii: I don't care how hard it is to hardcast, colorless double strike isn't cool. This is a white card you can cast without white.

spacemonaut: These abilities don't feel super unified but I like the card as a package.

netn10: This isn't super exciting, but it's an okay riff on Prophet of Kruphix.

Subject16: I dislike how texty this card is and how complex its self-reanimation is.

Gateways7: It was a mistake naming this "Soul of Amonkhet" and not following the Soul cycle's format.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. netn10
2. spacemonaut
3. marioguy3
formerly willows

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

Ink-Treader: Lamentation of the Intrepid - Weird name for a creature, but interesting take on a hate bear. Would need a very specific environment to do something, since if you're not playing an opponent who's ramping or fetching, it's basically just a worse Deadly Reculuse.

Raptorchan: Mirror Twin - Not sure why you went with Reflection, which has only ever been used on one weird card, instead of Illusion, but I guess it does feed into the flavor a little better (even if the mechanics of the card are those of a shapeshifter). The card itself is similar to Mirror Match and Mirror Mockery, probably deliberately. Another card that, funnily enough, will often play like a double-pipped Deadly Recluse without reach.

Krishnath: Yithian Phantasm - Huh. I think you might have a slight misunderstanding of what "keyword abilities" are, and players definitely would too. Here's a random set of five items from the middle of the list of keyword abilities (found in Rule 702): Amplify, Provoke, Storm, Affinity, Entwine. So unless you list out the abilities this would get (see: Cairn Wanderer), people are not going to know what this card does, especially since I don't believe the text limits this to having these abilities on the battlefield. Also not sure what the deal with the third ability is, since, other than Morphling et al., Shapeshifters and Nightmares aren't particularly known for having activated abilities.

bravelion83: Enigmatic Mirage - Fun Spellskite variant, weird execution. I'm particularly confused by the hexproof activation, which, as far as I can tell, would matter only in the very rare case that you want to preemptively protect it from sorcery-speed removal during your opponent's upkeep. Otherwise, the creature would already have been sacrificed by the time the spell would resolve, so the spell would be fizzled anyway. Is there something I'm missing?

barbecube: Hollow Apparition - Similar flavor to bravelion's card, but this one makes a bit more sense to me. Admittedly, it's very very strong, and might lead to some unfun play patterns since people just wouldn't use their targeted removal for fear of the onboard 2-for-1, but it does have a coherent flavor and function.

Gateways7: Soul of Amonkhet - I'm a big fan of the Soul cycle®, as you can probably tell from my own submission this round, and in fact I strongly considered submitting a BR version of the Soul of Amonkhet but had trouble getting it far enough from Soul of Innistrad. You successfully did that by giving it cycling and eternalize, but it was at the expense of violating the very clear rules of the cycle: two activated abilities with the same effect for the same cost, except one of the abilities exiles the Soul itself from the graveyard. There likely was a cool way to do a Soul of Amonkhet, and I'm sure there was a way to flavor this card that would make it work, but I'm afraid that in trying to split the difference you didn't quite get there.

1. Raptorchan
2. Ink-Treader
3. barbecube

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

Done.

Reply to slimytrout (and indirecly Subject16) in the discussion thread.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
4 years ago
Ephialtic Angel 2WWW
Creature - Nightmare Angel (Mythic)
Flying, vigilance, protection from white
1, Discard a card: Ephialtic Angel gets +2/+1 until end of turn.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Ephialtic Angel is in your graveyard and an opponent has more cards in their hand than you, return Ephialtic Angel to your hand unless that player discards cards equal to the difference.
Sigarda still dreams of her fallen sisters. When she wakes, she prays they remained where they were.
4/4
I'm absolutely sure that the fourth Innistrad angel sister, when she inevitably comes, will be white-black, not monowhite. In fact, in the attempt to design her card, you even used black mechanics. The idea to represent the fourth sister as a Nightmare Angel feels very flavorful, and the execution definitely more than acceptable, but I really feel like this card should have some black in its mana cost in addition to white. If this is really the fourth sister, she should also be legendary and have a proper name.
Gateways7
Show
Hide
Gateways7 wrote:
4 years ago
Soul of Amonkhet 4BB
Cycling 2
4BB, Exile a creature card from your graveyard: Create a token that's a copy of it, except it's a 4/4 black Zombie in addition to it's other colors and types.
Eternalize 4BB
6/6
The fact that cycling is not evergreen breaks the symmetry of the Soul of Plane cycle, but the overall structure is there, and using eternalize as the "exile this" ability is very clever. There is only one problem I have with this card: there is a potential ambiguity in the second ability. What is "it"? The creature you exiled to pay the cost (as I am almost sure), or the Soul of Amonkhet itself? I could see this being confusing to some players.
barbecube
Show
Hide
barbecube wrote:
4 years ago
Hollow Apparition
1U
Creature — Illusion
Sacrifice Hollow Apparition: Change the target of target spell or ability with a single target.

2/1
The classic illusion ability messes with sacrifice and targeting, but making this an activated ability piggybacking on it is good. I really like how you managed to do something new with a very simple and elegant card. Some might call this unexciting, but I do like it.
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader wrote:
4 years ago
Lamentation of the Intrepid BB
Creature - Horror (R)
Deathtouch
Whenever a land enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, if that player had another land enter the battlefield under their control this turn, they sacrifice a creature and lose 2 life.
1/3
I think this would not do that much in Standard other than punish ramp, but it would be highly relevant in older formats. Talk about punishing fetchlands and greedy mana bases! I'm not sure how much I like it. I want to play with fetchlands, and they already cost me life. If I go get an untapped shockland I'm already losing 3 life. Do I really need to turn that number into a 5 and sacrifice a creature on top of that? I'm not convinced that this card would be a needed and/or fun addition to Magic.
Raptorchan
Show
Hide
Raptorchan wrote:
4 years ago
Mirror Twin uu
Defender
Whenever Mirror Twin blocks, it becomes a copy of any creature blocked by it at your choice until end of turn.
"Go to the mirror at night. Wait a minute. Ignite the candle. Try not to scream."

0/3
It should say "of your choice". I'm not the best fan of the mechanics, it looks to me like this card could potentially cause a little too much board complexity. What I am a big fan of is the flavor. Very good job on that.
Krishnath
Show
Hide
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
Yithian Phanthasm 3BB
Yithian Shapeshifter gets +1/+1 for each creature in exile owned by an opponent.
Yithian Shapeshifter has the keyword abilities of all creatures in exile owned by opponents.
1, Pay 1 life: Add one mana of any color. This mana can only be used to pay for the activated abilities of Shapeshifters and Nightmares you control.
"They say there are things that should not be, personally I don't see it." — Tulan of the Void.
2/2
Way too complicated for my taste. Honestly, it makes me a little confused after 14 full years of playing Magic, I can only imagine how confusing this could potentially be to new or less experienced players.
Top 3

1st place: barbecube
2nd place: Gateways7
3rd place: Raptorchan
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
4 years ago
Plowshare Impaler 8
Creature--Eldrazi Scarecrow (Rare)
Double strike, vigilance
When you cast Plowshare Impaler, you may exile target creature. If you do, you gain life equal to that creature's power
Emerge 6W
4/2
Very shiny Eldrazi with some nice function and flavor. Given it costs or 6W it can probably stand to be bigger than 4/2, even counting everything else on it. Say, an even 4/4, or 3/5 considering its double strike makes it similar to a 6/5.
marioguy3 wrote:
4 years ago
Players can't gain life.
Players can't draw more than two cards each turn.
Players can't search libraries.
7/7
I dig the flavor. Mechanically I have mixed feelings: It's weird this isn't in but I think I get why. I'm concerned these effects coming out at CMC 7 might be a problem especially in black/red: if we've reached this stage and shutting off search, high amounts of draw, or lifegain still matters, then I'm probably vsing a control deck and that control deck probably has the ability at this point to just counter or remove this Avatar. I feel like I'd rather have 1-2 of these effects on smaller creatures I could get out sooner though to disrupt their strategy earlier, e.g. a library guardian with the last two rules.
slimytrout wrote:
4 years ago
Soul of Ixalan 4RG
Creature – Avatar (MR)
Haste
XRG: Until end of turn, target attacking creature gets +X/+X and gains "Whenever this creature is dealt damage, it deals X damage to any target."
XRG, Exile Soul of Ixalan from your graveyard: Until end of turn, target attacking creature gets +X/+X and gains "Whenever this creature is dealt damage, it deals X damage to any target."
6/6
I like the enrage behaviour. I like that this is stronger than the sorta-underwhelming earlier Souls.
bravelion83 wrote:
4 years ago
Enigmatic Mirage 1UU
Creature — Illusion (U)
Whenever Enigmatic Mirage becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, sacrifice Enigmatic Mirage, then draw a card.
1UU: Choose one —
• Enigmatic Mirage gains hexproof until end of turn.
• Change a target of target spell or ability an opponent controls to Enigmatic Mirage.
You won't know whether it's real or not until you try to touch it.
3/3
Note on flavor text
Show
Hide
Yes, it's an intended reference to Schrödinger's cat.
The activated ability is a weird one because I can't use its hexproof defensively: if it's been targeted then its ability has already triggered and it's doomed to be sacrificed. This feels like a malfunction. I can use it as a sort of lightning rod (Spellkite, Mizzium Meddler) with a chance of failure though.
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
Yithian Phanthasm 3BB
2/2
That middle ability is eyebrow-raising! I like this: black has access to exile spot removal and to graveyard hate. However, it doesn't often have those in high quantities or at good rates (it primarily has destroy, with white having more access to spot or sweeper exile) so I would have made this white/black or dropped the last ability for something which allows Yithian Phantasm to exile stuff sometimes.
Raptorchan wrote:
4 years ago
Mirror Twin uu
Defender

0/3
This is pretty neat and tidy, I like it.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Raptorchan
2. slimytrout
3. kwanyeegor-ii

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
This is pretty neat. Could be a bit tougher, but it's solid enough.
spacemonaut
Show
Hide
Fairly straightforward beater with some small risk. My even be able to get away with being less color intensive.
netn10
Show
Hide
Seems like an alright design. A more color intensive but arguably better Mystic Forge, since it lets you play lands.
Subject16
Show
Hide
This feels pretty bendy, like it wants to be black as well. I'm sure that's the point though.
Gateways7
Show
Hide
This is a delightful twist on the 'Soul of' cycle. The cycling feels a little extra, but it does work with its abilities and the plane it represents.
barbecube
Show
Hide
A cheaper to use Willbender. It might want to be a little more color weighty.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Gateways7
2. kwanyeegor-ii
3. Subject16

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 4 years ago

Ink-Treader - pretty much just a hoser, feels like you just hate playing vs. field of the dead lmao, anyway decent plant for other formats but not great flavor

Raptorchan - very nice flavor and mechanics, sort of like serene master, reflection type feels justified

Krishnath - wording doesn't quite work also the exact usage of the mana ability seems weird, are those creature types usually known for having activated abilities? or stealing them?

bravelion83 - nice combo of different illusion tropes but this card feels like it's doing too much

slimytrout - sort of out of left field, also feels more like a soul of dinosaurs than of ixalan, mechanics are nice though

marioguy3 - why couldn't this restrict to 1 card per turn rather than letting people have 2? lol otherwise no real complaints

1. Raptorchan
2. slimytrout
3. marioguy3
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 4 years ago

Crits
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader
Lamentation of the Intrepid - seems like a fine anti-ramp card. Black because it's clearly anti-green. Rarity is alright.

spacemonaut
Hack-o-Lantern - battalion in Rakdos colors? Well, I am not a big fan of the idea, but seems like it costed approproately.

netn10
Caller of the Void - pushed just like most Eldrazi in BfZ block. Other than this, fine, Bonus points because lands are also colorless. Clever.

Subject16
Ephialtic Angel - quite nice idea to implement Balance in White yet again. Not the biggest fan of the card itself but I think it possible in Innistrad set.

Gateways7
Soul of Amonkhet - it just doesn't match other Souls from M15 cycle. But what's more important - I don't think Soul of Amonkhet should be associated with Eternalize - but one can say it's possible because Bolas corrupted it. Also, Scarab God exists...

barbecube
Hollow Apparition - simple and easy. It's not much, but it's a honest work (c)
Show
Hide
1) barbecube
2) netn10
3) Ink-Treader

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 4 years ago

Ink-Treader: (Lamentation of the Intrepid) I think this card is one colorless mana too cheap. It is a really intriguing design, and it is one of the more unique punisher effects in magic.

Raptorchan: (Mirror Twin) This card should be at least rare. That's the only critique of this amazingly unique cloned card. I also find humor in the flavor text.

Krishnath: (Yithian Phanthasm) This is a wild card. That second ability would never exist on a card because new players may have trouble distinguishing between keywords and ability words. But this is a very cool commander card that will be inspired by the "ingest" mechanic. I almost wish this would be legendary because it can be scary to play against.

bravelion83: (Enigmatic Mirage): This is one efficient card for blue. It is balanced by being an illusion, but you want the draw card anyway. I'm not sure why you chose to give this card an ability which grants hexproof because once it becomes a target, hexproof is irrelevant as the card is sacrificed. A keyword which would stop you from targeting this card becomes fun and balanced though.

slimytrout: (Soul of Ixalan): I feel this is appropriate power for a mythic rare. It's an exciting card in limited. It's a cool twist that the abilities can only be used in combat.

barbecube: (Hollow Apparition): A nice and simple card. It probably needs flavor text to stand out, though. There is room for a line or two to help set either atmosphere or humor among these dark times.

Top 3: (This is tough)

3rd place: Ink-Treader
2nd place: Raptorchan
1st place: slimytrout
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Congrats to the top 8 scorers:

Raptorchan
spacemonaut
Ink-Treader
Gateways7
barbecube
netn10
slimytrout
kwanyeegor-ii

Round thread to come soon.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”