Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

CCL September Top 4

"The Sanctum"

Shivan Reef, taken from magicthegathering.com, by Rob Alexander and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's time for Elements Month to return with a vengeance! Last appearing over two years ago on MTGSalvation, this flavor-based month of challenges is a guaranteed fun, if strange, time. All will be explained below, but let's get on with the show.

The magic of the natural elements is some of the most primal and mysterious there is - simplistic though it may seem, appearances can be deceiving, and the "elements" can include more abstract and powerful forces than most mages imagine.

This month, you'll be theming design around your picks from the following lists. Choose wisely, as your picks will carry over round-to-round.
White
Show
Hide
Light
Grain
Moon
Energy (Static)
Sand
Holy
Metal
Blue
Show
Hide
Water
Wind
Time
Energy (Potential)
Ice
Mist
Thought
Black
Show
Hide
Darkness
Void
Disease
Energy (Negative)
Blood
Poison
Soil
Red
Show
Hide
Fire
Stone
Speed
Energy (Kinetic)
Lightning
Dust
Magnetism
Green
Show
Hide
Wood
Storms
Life
Energy (Positive)
Seasons
Flesh
Wild
Challenge
Design a land card themed around your chosen elements. It must be able to tap for both of the corresponding colors of mana but no other colors.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • For example, if you picked blood and seasons, you could design a card that had the ability "T: Add B or G" or "T: Add BG", but not one that had "T: Add B, G, or U" or "T: Add one mana of any color."
  • Since colorless is not a color, no one will be penalized for putting on a "T: Add C" ability.
  • For everyone's convenience, please note both of the elements you picked in your post.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Contestants:
Henlock
Ink-Treader
kwanyeegor-ii
Subject16
Your submissions are due Saturday, September 28th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (September 1st-7th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (September 8th–14th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due September 16th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (September 19th–22nd)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due September 24th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (September 25th–28th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due September 30th)
  • Final (End of month, winner determined by public poll)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

Blue Snow and Green Storm

Howling Hinterlands
Snow Land (R)
Howling Hinterlands enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add G or U
GU: Put an ice counter on a nonsnow land you control. If you do, that land becomes snow and Howling Hinterlands becomes a 4/2 snow Elemental creature with flying and trample until end of turn. It's still a land.
The winds shall rage, until all the world is buried in ice.
Last edited by Ink-Treader 4 years ago, edited 11 times in total.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

Red Dust and Green Flesh

Ashvale Mycelium
Land (Rare)
As Ashvale Mycelium enters the battlefield, you may exile a land card from your graveyard. If you don't, Ashvale Mycelium enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add R or G.
RG, T, Exile a creature or land card from your graveyard: Create a 1/1 green Saproling creature token.
The fungi absorb the nutrients in the volcanic ash, birthing life from a force of destruction.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

White grain and Green seasons

Flowering Ryefields
Land (r)
Flowering Ryefields enters the battlefield tapped unless you control an enchantment.
: Add or . If Flowering Ryefields is enchanted, add wg instead.
Scholars have tirelessly observed the stars so as to understand the cycle of the world. We have always understood it in the fields out our windows and the foods on our tables.
Last edited by Henlock 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 4 years ago

Blue ice
Red energy (positive)

Advancing Iceberg
Snow Land (Rare)
T, Pay 1 life: Add U or R
Snow spells that you spend three or more snow mana to cast can't be countered
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Round closed! Please critique and rank everyone else.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

Subject16
Show
Hide
I quite like this. Good flavor, conveys its elements decently, and pretty balanced.
Henlock
Show
Hide
The flavor is... well in the flavor. I wish the mechanics conveyed the themes a little better. It's not the best dual land, but I do like that it gives some extra payoff with a little work.
kwanyeegor-11
Show
Hide
Static abilities like that on a land are a bit weird. I wish it were a special effect attached to the mana produced by the land instead. That aside, the elements do shine through.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Subject16
2. Henlock
3. kwanyeegor-ii

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 4 years ago

Ink-Treader - really interesting manland and flavorful, love the condition to animate it. However snow + nonsnow feels like a weird playstyle

Subject16 - Seems very powerful yet fairly boring. There are already plenty of lands that tap to make 1/1 tokens. I think this might just be too strong for a dredge type deck

Henlock - really cool payoff for auras on lands, I like it

1. Henlock
2. Ink-Treader
3. Subject16
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

Ink-Treader: I like that it's a fairly cheap and strong manland but with limited capability because of making your lands snow. I feel both elements despite it being far from green's typical storm associated cards.

Henlock: The elements are super well meshed together and it's nice that it works with land auras because a lot of them reference times of season. The only thing that bothers me is that a lot of these auras (particularly newer ones) also tend to give you "T: add two mana" which would make this card's extra mana condition a little redundant. But for the sake of the older-style land auras like Overgrowth and Trace of Abundance this is a great reward for an archetype.

kwanyeegor-ii: It's strong land that comes in untapped unconditionally. I see the uncounterability as the essence of red's element, but I think logistically it's a bit difficult to keep track of how much snow mana you produced and where/when you're spending it. Something along the lines of spending the mana on a snow spell to make it uncounterable like Boseiju would have been a lot more elegant.

Top 3:

1: Henlock
2: Ink-Treader
3: kwanyeegor-ii

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

Ink Treader: This reads a bit odd in mixing snow lands and nonsnow lands in the same card, but in commander, where there are quite a bunch of nonsnow utility lands, this can be a very serviceable manland, specially if you don't rrally care about snow. Compared to both Faerie Conclave and Treetop Village this looks very good. It packs more punch and extra evasion. The biggest downside I see is that it has no tension. As I said, as long as you don't really care about snow, the limitation is pretty negligible.

subject16: In a world with fetchlands, this is very strong. In modern, you're very likely to have a land in graveyard quick and this becomes an excellent T2 land drop. Extra copies need some more work to enter untapped but the fact that you can use the resource for it later to create a token looks pretty encouraging when playing it suboptimally. Token-producing lands tend to have a more expensive activation cost, That said, I don't think a cycle of these would be healthy, so a rg is more than enough and fits with the land matters in those colors' tradition.

kwanyegor- This looks a bit too constricting against strategies that use countermagic as their way to deal with opponents. I think you got carried away with the "Take it, blue" approach. In a land, that kind of hossing is simply too powerful.

1. Subject16
2. InkTreader
3. kwanyegor

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And our finalists are Henlock and Subject16! Final round to come soon.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”