September MCC, Round 2: The Spread

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Banner based on Yawgmoth's Vile Offering by Noah Bradley and Wizards of the Coast. Thanks to bravelion83 for the "Core Set Style" MCC Logo
September MCC, Round 2 - The Spread

Welcome to the September MCC! It's Phyrexian Month here at the MCC and by the end of it compleation will fall over this website...

Main Challenge: Design a card that allows its controller to proliferate.
Subchallenge 1: Your card is red and/or white.
Subchallenge 2: Your card can place counters on things without proliferating.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Tuesday, September 17th 23:59 EDT

Judging deadline: Friday, September 20th 23:59 EDT

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main challenge - Even though the challenge has Phyrexian flavor the card need not. Your entry can be as non-Phyrexian as "Saheeli's Clockwork Backscratcher" or as Phyrexian as "Gitaxian Loofah", so to speak.
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
Design
(X/3) Appeal - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
(X/3) Elegance - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

Development
(X/3) Viability - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
(X/3) Balance - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

Creativity
(X/3) Uniqueness - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
(X/3) Flavor - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

Polish
(X/3) Quality - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
(X/2) Main Challenge (*) - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
(X/2) Subchallenges - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

Total: X/25
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.
Judges:
void_nothing
bravelion83
slimytrout

Players:
The_Hittite
netn10
Henlock
gateways7
Rithaniel
archemediesx
SecretInfiltrator
kwanyeegor-ii
Sagharri
barbecube
ForestsCarl
RaikouRider
Ink-Treader
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

ForestsCarl

Post by ForestsCarl » 4 years ago

Conclave Harmonizer 1GW
Creature - Elf Shaman (MR)
2G: Until end of turn, whenever you cast a green spell, create a 1/1 green Saproling token.
2W: Until end of turn, whenever you cast a white spell, put a +1/+1 counter on a creature you control.
3GW: Until end of turn whenever you cast a multicolored spell, Proliferate.
3/3

Sagharri

Post by Sagharri » 4 years ago

Procession of Progress 4WU
Sorcery (R)
You may reveal this card from your hand, when you cast first creature spell this game. If you do, that creature enters the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter.
This spell can't be countered.
Proliferate three times.
When you heard it, it was already too late. After it was set in motion, nothing could stop it.
Last edited by Sagharri 4 years ago, edited 7 times in total.

Gateways7
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Gateways7 » 4 years ago

Jaalen, Commando Captain 3RW
Legendary Creature - Orc Warrior (rare)
Mentor (Whenever this creature attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on target attacking creature with less power.)
Whenever you mentor a creature, proliferate. (Choose any number of permanents and/or players, then give each another counter of each kind already there.)
4/3

Image here: https://i.redd.it/775z5bzet8m31.png

The_Hittite

Post by The_Hittite » 4 years ago

Aetherial Invigoration
Sorcery (U)
Proliferate. (You choose any number of permanents and/or players with counters on them, then give each another counter of a kind already there.)
You may remove any number of counters from any number of permanents you control. For each counter you remove this way, you get (an energy counter).
Last edited by The_Hittite 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

barbecube

Post by barbecube » 4 years ago

Kiln of the Orthodoxy 2WW
Enchantment (R)
Creatures you control enter the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter.
At the beginning of your end step, if at least two creatures entered the battlefield under your control this turn, proliferate.
formerly willows

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 4 years ago

Mirran's Last Cause 4RW
Enchantment (Rare)
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control and a charge counter on each artifact you control.
Tap three untapped creatures and/or artifacts you control: Proliferate.
"We are the water that will separate the phyrexian oil from the innocent."

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

Generous Sovereign {1}{W}{W}
Creature - Human Noble (R)
When Generous Sovereign enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter up to one other target creature.
If one or more counters would be placed on Generous Sovereign, proliferate instead.
"It's the people's will, not the ruler's arms that carry the realm."
2/2

SPOILER
Show
Hide
When ~ enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter up to one other target creature.
If one or more counters would be placed on ~, proliferate instead.
The lord of Vuna knew, that his reign was not carried on his own strength, but the strength of his people. And he acted accordingly.
2/2

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

Fuming Junkheap 1RR
Artifact (R)
Whenever an artifact is put into your graveyard from the battlefield, you get E.
2, Exile two artifact cards from your graveyard: Proliferate.
RRR, Pay X E, Sacrifice Fuming Junkheap: Fuming Junkheap deals X damage to each creature and each planeswalker.

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 4 years ago

Engine of Homogeneity
Artifact R
, Sacrifice a creature: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
, Remove a counter from a permanent you control: Proliferate.
"In order for one to benefit, another must lose. For one to flourish, another must suffer. That is the law of life."
—Urt Palkova, Tyrant of Lomn
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 4 years ago

Teyo's Resolve WW
Creature--Illusion Avatar (Rare)
As long as Teyo's Resolve has a will counter on it, it has protection from converted mana cost X or less, where X is the number of will counters on it.
Whenever you cast a creature or planeswalker spell, put a will counter on Teyo's Resolve.
WWWW: Proliferate.
3/2
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

archemediesx

Post by archemediesx » 4 years ago

Slagmaw Avenger 3R
Artifact Creature - Human Shaman (U)
Haste, Wither (This deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters.)
When Slagmaw Avenger enters the battlefield you get EE.
T: Slagmaw Avenger deals 1 damage to any target.
EE, T: proliferate.
2/2
"Easy Dude. You're being very Un-Dude."

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

Need a small extension of an hour or so if possible.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Yes, I can grant that.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

Thanks!

Scarred Alpha 1rg
Creature - Wolf (r)
When Scarred Alpha enters the battlefield, if it has a +1/+1 counter on it, proliferate.
Each Wolf and Werewolf you control has undying  (When it dies, if it had no +1/+1 counters on it, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control with a +1/+1 counter on it.)
3/2

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Round is closed. The following are the judging assignments:

void_nothing:
Sagharri
The_Hittite
kwanyeegor-ii
archemediesx

bravelion83:
ForestsCarl
Gateways7
Ink-Treader
Rithaniel

slimytrout:
barbecube
netn10
SecretInfiltrator
Henlock

Top two per bracket advance.

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

Done.
ForestsCarl
Show
Hide
ForestsCarl wrote:
4 years ago
Conclave Harmonizer 1GW
Creature - Elf Shaman (MR)
2G: Until end of turn, whenever you cast a green spell, create a 1/1 green Saproling token.
2W: Until end of turn, whenever you cast a white spell, put a +1/+1 counter on a creature you control.
3GW: Until end of turn whenever you cast a multicolored spell, Proliferate.
3/3
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy really likes this card. Johnny can also use all the abilities in several ways. Spike likes this is a vacuum, but I think she would like the abilities to be a little cheaper as she will still have to pay the other spell's costs and she needs to save mana for that.
Elegance 2/3 - Very long text, but the symmetry between the abilities makes it easier to process.
Development
Viability 3/3 - No problems with the color pie or rarity.
Balance 2.5/3 - As I've already mentioned, you have to keep into account the fact that you will need to save mana to cast the other spells, so the activation costs need to be as low as possible. I feel like these costs are definitely safe enough, and I think there might even be some room to lower them, but playtest would be needed to be sure. You won't open this often in limited as a mythic, but you'll definitely play it when you do. I think this also has a chance to see some Standard play, especially if play design is actually able to lower the activation costs just a little bit. I see no problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2/3 - No elements are new, but the way they are put together does feel fresh to me.
Flavor 2.5/3 - As I read the name I expected some mechanical reference to Harmonize, but it's not a big problem. If you include reminder text for proliferate (as you should, see Quality), no flavor text fits on the card, as MSE shows me, so it not being there is also not a problem and it's actually the right choice.
Polish
Quality 0.5/3 - All problems are in the last three lines of the card. In the last ability, a comma is missing between the words "turn" and "whenever" (technically a functional mistake, because without the comma the continuous triggered ability doesn't start with "whenever", so it's not even a triggered ability and thus it can't be created by the effect, so -1). "Proliferate" shouldn't be capitalized, as keywords never are in the middle of a sentence (-0.5). Reminder text for proliferate is also needed, and MSE shows me it does fit on this card without flavor text, so it should be there regardless of the fact that this is a mythic. That's because proliferate is not evergreen, and by the way you should use the most recent version from WAR that's slightly different from the original one in SOM block (-0.5). The power and toughness should not be bolded in text cards according to the preferred formatting, which you can find in the guidelines document that I wrote myself (approved by void_nothing as a moderator) and that I probably need to put a link to in my signature... (EDIT: done) (-0.5). Technically the box around the card isn't needed either, but I don't feel like that's enough to deduct even more points by itself.
Main Challenge 2/2 - Good.
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met.
TOTAL 19/25
Gateways7
Show
Hide
Gateways7 wrote:
4 years ago
Jaalen, Commando Captain 3RW
Legendary Creature - Orc Warrior (rare)
Mentor (Whenever this creature attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on target attacking creature with less power.)
Whenever you mentor a creature, proliferate. (Choose any number of permanents and/or players, then give each another counter of each kind already there.)
4/3
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy likes this a lot. Johnny can probably do something with this, especially since the proliferate ability still triggers if you use other creatures as "teacher" and "student", but he probably wishes that the proliferate ability triggered from any +1/+1 counter he puts on a creature. Spike too probably, but she has no big problems with this card.
Elegance 3/3 - I don't see how one could do better than this.
Development
Viability 3/3 - No problems with the color pie or rarity. Proliferate is primary green and blue but all colors can have it.
Balance 3/3 - For once, I don't have a lot to say here. I really really like the overall balance of this card. Cost, rate, and abilities all look just perfect to me. I'd certainly play this in limited, and I can also see one copy of this as the top end of Boros aggro decks in constructed. No problems in casual or multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 3/3 - Ok, "whenever you mentor a creature" is new and original. Nothing to say about that.
Flavor 2/3 - No problems with the name and concept. I am a Boros soldier in real life, and I could definitely see this being my captain. (Disclaimer: if the Boros were real, also I've never been an actual soldier in my life. What this actually means is that the Boros are the guild that philosophically best matches my real character as a person, the one that I identify with, and the one that I would want to be a part of if I lived on Ravnica.) MSE shows me that several lines of flavor text could easily fit in the M15 frame, even with both reminder texts, so it not being there is a problem.
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - The reminder text for mentor should say "lesser power" (see for example Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice, -0.5).
TOTAL 23/25
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader wrote:
4 years ago
Fuming Junkheap 1RR
Artifact (R)
Whenever an artifact is put into your graveyard from the battlefield, you get E.
2, Exile two artifact cards from your graveyard: Proliferate.
RRR, Pay X E, Sacrifice Fuming Junkheap: Fuming Junkheap deals X damage to each creature and each planeswalker.
Design
Appeal 2/3 - I see this as a pure Johnny card, and he absolutely loves it. There are worse cards for Timmy, but while I can see some Timmies enjoying this card, I can also see others not really caring too much. Spike mainly likes the last ability as an energy payoff, but she probably wishes it hit players too.
Elegance 2/3 - Not the shortest text, but still easy to understand. Also a bit intricate.
Development
Viability 3/3 - No problems with the color pie or rarity. Proliferate is primary green and blue but all colors can have it.
Balance 2.5/3 - You really need a lot of artifacts for this card to do its job. In limited, that really depends on the specific environment. If it's in an artifact set, like Kaladesh as the energy mechanic being there suggests, with lots of artifacts and especially artifact creatures at lower rarities, this will probably be playable, but probably not in most non-artifact-based sets. In constructed, you can build your deck around this, which definitely helps. Artifacts are quite prevalent in older formats too, so this might have some relevance there too. I see no problems in casual. The last ability hitting "each" creature and planeswalker, of all players, makes this card potentially interesting in multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1/3 - Nothing is really new on this card. Old elements interacting in a new way, but only in a technical sense.
Flavor 3/3 - No problems with the name and concept. If you include reminder text for the energy counter and proliferate (as you should, see Quality), no flavor text fits on the card, as MSE shows me, so it not being there is not a problem and it's actually the right choice.
Polish
Quality 1.5/3 - The reminder text "(an energy counter)" should be included at the end of the first ability (see every card involving energy counters in an effect, which is most energy cards from Kaladesh block, -0.5). Reminder text for proliferate is also needed, because it's not evergreen, and by the way you should use the most recent version from WAR that's slightly different from the original one in SOM block (-0.5). Finally, this time I'm sure, this is exactly the kind of ability that the new "...Sacrifice CARDNAME: It deals damage..." wording applies to (-0.5). You can find this change in wording as the last one in the Oracle changes article for WAR.
Subchallenges 2/2 - Both met. I guess players are included in the "things" that Subchallenge 2 refers to, even if, well, people aren't things... But I took that word in the text of the challenge to actually mean "wherever counters can go in the rules": permanents, cards, and, yes, players. So a player getting some E (energy counters) is just fine.
TOTAL 19/25
Rithaniel
Show
Hide
Rithaniel wrote:
4 years ago
Engine of Homogeneity
Artifact R
, Sacrifice a creature: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
, Remove a counter from a permanent you control: Proliferate.
"In order for one to benefit, another must lose. For one to flourish, another must suffer. That is the law of life."
—Urt Palkova, Tyrant of Lomn
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy likes the effects but not the activation costs. Johnny is already brewing with this. Spikes also really likes this card, and especially the fact that she can activate the abilities immediately (noncreature artifacts have no summoning sickness) and for free.
Elegance 3/3 - No problems here.
Development
Viability 3/3 - Proliferate is primary green and blue but all colors can have it. Putting +1/+1 counters on target creature can be white (or green). Removing counters from permanents has historically been a black thing. Sacrificing creatures is another thing that all colors can probably do in the right circumstances but it's definitely primary in black. As a result, this card can indeed be WB, but you know what's curious? My first instinct actually was "this should be monogreen", and it could absolutely be. Green puts +1/+1 counters on creatures, is one of the main colors for proliferate, interacts with counters on permanents, and is the second graveyard color after black. You've managed to make a card that could be a single color, or a pair of different colors, and it's not an easy task. It's like Lightning Helix and Agonizing Syphon. Rarity is good.
Balance 2.5/3 - This card looks really interesting in Aristocrats decks, and I feel like proliferate could give them a different angle of shooting. That's very good. It's true that you're playing in dangerous space with abilities that can be activated without mana, but requiring two specific colors in the mana cost helps with that. I feel like this is the exact kind of artifact that could cause potential problems with a colorless mana cost, but is probably fine as a colored artifact. In limited, I'd probably play this only if I were already in WB and mainly to use the first ability in response to removal. At the contrary, I could see this in constructed rather easily, casual for sure but maybe Standard too, everywhere that Aristocrats decks are viable. I don't see any problems in multiplayer.
Creativity
Uniqueness 1.5/3 - Nothing is really new on this card. Old elements interacting in a new way, but only in a technical sense. But it's also true that we don't often see "remove any kind of counter from any of your permanents" as a cost.
Flavor 3/3 - No problems here, and the flavor text especially is very good. It doesn't matter for the judgment, but the flavor text attribution caught my eye, because one of my private (for now) custom sets that I've mentioned around here recently is set on a world ruled by a council of seven "Tyrants"... Of course, none of the places on that world is called Lomn and none of my seven tyrants is called Urt Palkova, but seeing the word "tyrant" there caught my attention. Parallel design is a thing in flavor too, apparently.
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 - Reminder text for proliferate is needed, because it's not evergreen, and by the way you should use the most recent version from WAR that's slightly different from the original one in SOM block (-0.5).
TOTAL 22/25
Results (bold advance)
Show
Hide
Gateways7: 23
Rithaniel: 22

ForestsCarl: 19
Ink-Treader: 19
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

Strong, close round. Especially higher appeal scores than is typical. I guess everyone just likes proliferate (except maybe play design).
Henlock
Show
Hide
Scarred Alpha 1rg
Creature - Wolf (r)
When Scarred Alpha enters the battlefield, if it has a +1/+1 counter on it, proliferate.
Each Wolf and Werewolf you control has undying (When it dies, if it had no +1/+1 counters on it, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control with a +1/+1 counter on it.)
3/2
Design
Appeal 3/3 - Timmy loves this card – not only does it protect their creatures, but it grows them. Johnny wants to abuse undying and proliferate. Spike likes the complicated play interactions this promotes.
Elegance 2.5/3 – A little double-take to figure out why it would be entering with a +1/+1 counter, so perhaps the second ability should come first, but otherwise pretty easy to understand.
Development
Viability 3/3 – There's nothing particularly red or green about the abilities, but those are the werewolf tribal colors, so sure. And it *might* be powerful enough and splashy enough to be mythic, but rare is fine.
Balance 2/3 – In a standard format with reasonable (were)wolf support, this is probably too good. A 3-mana 3/2 that, on its own, comes back as a 5/4 is very strong, let alone that it makes it super unpleasant for your other creatures to be blocked (assuming you're playing this in the right deck).
Creativity
Uniqueness 2.5/3 – Tribal undying isn't new (Mikaeus, the Unhallowed), but I can't find anything that really looks like the first ability.
Flavor 3/3 – Yeah, I basically see it. Pack alpha can go through a few tussles in his day, and helps the rest of the pack do the same. Could use some flavor text, but doesn't need it.
Polish
Quality 2.5/3 – Minor punctuation problem: the second ability is a sentence, so it needs a period (-0.5). Otherwise good.
Main Challenge 2/2 - Met.
Subchallenges 2/2 – Hmmm, so technically your card doesn't put counters on anything – rather, it gives them an ability that puts counters on them. That's very nitpicky, since your card definitely meets the spirit of the challenge, but that's the way it's worded.
EDIT: Decision reversed since it gives itself undying and therefore puts counters on itself.
TOTAL 22.5/25
Barbecube
Show
Hide
Kiln of the Orthodoxy 2WW
Enchantment (R)
Creatures you control enter the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter.
At the beginning of your end step, if at least two creatures entered the battlefield under your control this turn, proliferate.
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy likes it – makes their creatures bigger. Johnny likes it too, for persist shenanigans and the like. Spike doesn't love a 4-mana enchantment that (usually) doesn't do anything the turn it hits the board, but this one rewards them for good sequencing so they can live with it.
Elegance 3/3 – Yep.
Development
Viability 3/3 – Sure, anthems are in white, and often rare.
Balance 3/3 – Could definitely be strong in the right deck, but the fact that you can only trigger the proliferate once a turn makes the card hard to break.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2.5/3 – The first ability is nothing special, but I don't know that there's any card with the same trigger as the second ability (if there is, it's phrased weirdly enough that I can't find it).
Flavor 1.5/3 – This card could definitely use some flavor text, since I don't get it. Is it Phyrexian? But they're not really associated with giving everyone a pat on the back. And why is a kiln an enchantment?
Polish
Quality 3/3 – All good.
Subchallenges 2/2 – Yep.
TOTAL 22.5/25
netn10
Show
Hide
Mirran's Last Cause 4RW
Enchantment (Rare)
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control and a charge counter on each artifact you control.
Tap three untapped creatures and/or artifacts you control: Proliferate.
"We are the water that will separate the phyrexian oil from the innocent."
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 - Timmy likes it since it makes their creatures huge, Johnny likes it because of the repeatable proliferate, Spike likes the instant speed proliferate that gives them more timing options. None of them like the fact that it's six mana and doesn't necessarily do anything for a whole turn.
Elegance 2/3 – Unless this is in a very specific environment, people will end up with a whole bunch of charge counters on artifacts that don't actually do anything with them, which is kind of a pain. Also, artifact creatures will start accumulating two types of counters at once, which WotC really tries to avoid.
Development
Viability 3/3 – Not sure why this really needs to be red, but I'm not going to take any points off for it, since a mono-white enchantment would have met the challenge anyway and the Mirran resistance is generally RW. Rare is definitely right.
Balance 3/3 – I mean, it's probably fairly good in limited if the format isn't blazing fast, although it's a little bit win-more. Casual players will love it, and could find room in Commander. Unlikely to make much of a dent in any tournament play due to high cost.
Creativity
Uniqueness 2.5/3 – I don't think we've ever had a card that put charge counters on everything before. The other abilities aren't much of a stretch, though.
Flavor 3/3 – Yeah, more or less works. Mirrans are getting stronger for a final charge to push out the Phyrexians.
Polish
Quality 2/3 – Unless it's a specific Mirran (in which case there would be flavor deductions), I assume you meant "Mirrans' Last Cause" (-0.5). And "Phyrexian" needs to be capitalized (-0.5).
Subchallenges 2/2 – Yep.
TOTAL 22/25
SecretInfiltrator
Show
Hide
When Generous Sovereign enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter up to one other target creature.
If one or more counters would be placed on Generous Sovereign, proliferate instead.
"It's the people's will, not the ruler's arms that carry the realm."
2/2
Design
Appeal 2.5/3 – Johnny loves this. Timmy isn't over the moon, but still likes it well enough. Spike definitely likes the idea of using a combat trick on this and managing to grow his whole team.
Elegance 3/3 – Almost took off half a point because the second ability made me scratch my head a bit, but I guess it does exactly what it says, so it's ok.
Development
Viability 3/3 – Yep.
Balance 2.5/3 – I'm fairly sure this is breakable, but I don't know if you can do so efficiently enough to make a splash. Perhaps animation module or Ghave, Guru of Spores would be part of it, but then you've got a mana cost attached, so that makes it hard to go infinite. Grim Poppet doesn't have the mana cost, but it's 7 mana. Other cards (like Mikaeus, the Lunarch) would have to be untapped first. So I don't see a way to go infinite (quickly) with just two cards, but perhaps I'm missing something.
Creativity
Uniqueness 3/3 – Yeah, nothing like this has ever been done before.
Flavor 3/3 – Sure. Not sure why you included the spoiler with other flavor text, but I'm just going to ignore it.
Polish
Quality 2/3 – Missing an "on" in "on up to one" (-0.5). And you're missing a (bracketing) comma in the flavor text after "arms" (-0.5).
Subchallenges 2/2 – Yep.
TOTAL 23/25
scores
Show
Hide
SecretInfiltrator=23
barbecube=22.5
henlock=22.5

netn10=22

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Sagharri
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy and Jxnny both like the idea of proliferating three times in one shot. Spike might like the free +1/+1 counter in certain decks but questions whether it's worth keeping a six-mana card in an early/opening hand.
(2.5/3) Elegance - First ability might lead to some "memory" (sort of?) issues, but you should know whether your spell is the first or not.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors and rarity look right.
(3/3) Balance - Three proliferates could mean a blowout but only with setup, and besides, the spell is expensive.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - Proliferate is obviously not new but triple proliferate is, and the other ability is an interesting riff on other opening-hand stuff.
(3/3) Flavor - A bit abstract but I like it.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - An extraneous comma in that first ability and then some tense issues in the flavor text.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 23/25
The_Hittite
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - "Just" making energy counters would probably be dismissed by Txmmy and Spike as do-nothing, but Jxnny sees it as a puzzle.
(3/3) Elegance - Pretty clear.

Development
(2/3) Viability - It's hard to say what color this should be but I'm not sure it's green - the conversion aspect of the mechanical flavor feels blue and the draining aspect feels black.
(2/3) Balance - Underpowered if anything; there are energy cards for about six mana that give you lots of energy for free and do something else besides.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Proliferate and energy have never been used before but ultimately this is mostly just an energy generator and nothing else.
(2/3) Flavor - Name is a bit on the nose, and the process doesn't seem to be too invigorating for the things you're removing counters from.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Fine.
(1/2) Subchallenges - Not white or red.

Total: 17.5/25
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - All-rounder I think. Beaty enough for Txmmy, odd enough for Jxnny, efficient enough for Spike.
(2/3) Elegance - Unwieldy phrasing for the protection ability and a bit of tracking complexity.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors and rarity right.
(2.5/3) Balance - A bit pushed; but making this three mana would lessen the appeal I think.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Protection from CMC has been used before but this is a new take.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Name is a little abstract but works for Teyo's flavor, especially with the Illusion type.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Fine.

Total: 22/25
archemediesx
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Mostly a Jxnny/Spike thing as it's not quite big enough in any aspect for Txmmy.
(2/3) Elegance - A lot of abilities. Mostly simple, but probably too many.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Docking half a point because I don't think a card would use all those block specific mechanics all in one these days.
(2.5/3) Balance - Maybe not overpowered in any one aspect, but this card does so many things that I'd be wary.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Nothing quite like this has been made with all these mechanics, but there have been -1/-1 counter pingers, hasty pingers, and, well, creatures that generate and then use energy before.
(2/3) Flavor - Wither and energy and colored artifact and proliferate all in one? I'm really sort of confused as to what setting this is supposed to be in. "Slagmaw" makes me think of Mirrodin but that's probably not right. And if it's an original world, it's hard to tell what's supposed to be going on with it.

Polish
(1.5/3) Quality - Wither capitalized where it shouldn't be, or actually maybe it should be placed after a line break. Reminder text should be italicized. Proliferate should be capitalized at the beginning of a sentence.

Total: 18.5/25

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”