Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

The DCC: 09/08/19
Welcome to the DCC!
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post in the DCC Discussion Thread.

How To Play

How does this card-making game work? It's simple! Whenever your card receives a vote, you receive [1] point for the month. If your card ends up with the most votes for that day, you will receive [2] additional points for the month. In the event of a tie, each person who tied receives [1] additional point. At the end of each month, the person with the most points on the scoreboard wins that month, then the scoreboard is cleared for the next month. You can participate in as many or as few days as you want in any month.

Rules

• Each day you may post any card you want. On the next day all of the posted cards will be put into the thread as long as your card didn't get disqualified - see the next point for more details. If you post more than one card in a DCC thread, only the first card you post will be taken.
  • When you vote, you need to make exactly two votes for two different people. Vote for the cards that are listed in the first post, not other cards being posted in the thread. If you notice that you've only voted for one person, include your second vote in a post, even if you're not submitting a card.
  • If you want to change your vote for any reason, post that change in the day's thread (you can include it with your card if you want). Changed votes in the discussion thread will be ignored.
  • Voting for only one person, for three or more people, or for yourself will earn you an asterisk by your name in the monthly leaderboard. So will failing to vote if you've posted a card. (We're not going to do anything about people who don't vote or post cards; that would be kind of silly.) This indicates that you're on probation for the next 21 days. If you're on probation and you make another improper vote, your card will be disqualified. Repeated disqualification is grounds for warnings and/or infractions for not following the game rules, so please don't do it.
  • Voting for everything in the poll will be grounds for a lifetime ban from the DCC. Don't do it. It just wastes the thread creators' time.
  • If you wish to post a render, please use the hyperlink option when posting your card and make the card name the image link. Renders are usually large enough to clog up the list, so submit a text-formed card and (optionally) a link in the name to the render.
  • This thread is just for your card submission. Take your questions/comments to our discussion thread. If it's a question, comment, or complaint about probation, PM void_nothing and/or the month's DCC organizer.
  • When posting make sure that:
    • You have included all of the previous day's entries.
    • You update the leaderboard with the previous day's scores.
(An easy way to post the new thread is to hit the multiquote button on every post in the previous day's thread, then click Post Reply. Select everything in this post, copy it, and then paste it into the first post for a new thread. You'll have to clean up a few small things, like quote tags around the opening post and the previous day's cards.)

Notes of the Day

An exhausting weekend.

DCC Scoreboard

bravelion83 22 (+2)
Sagharri 21 (+1)
void_nothing 21 (+5)
emily 19 (+1)
Rithaniel 17 (+3)
slimytrout 16 (+2)
shukkets 16 (+5)
RattingRots 15 (+1)
Henlock 9 (+2)
netn10 8 (+2)
Ink-Treader 7 (+0)
Krishnath 6 (+0)
Legend 6
marioguy3 4
kwanyeegor-ii 2

RattingRots wrote:
4 years ago
emily, Sagharri

HM: netn10 (modern allstar right there :P)

Master Wrangler 2W
Creature - Human Cowboy (U)
1W, : Untap target attacking creature and remove it from combat.
0/3
bravelion83 wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: Rithaniel, shukkets
Very brief comments on those two cards and honorable mentions
Show
Hide
• Rithaniel: it feels very strange to see a nongreen Elf, but I do like the card mechanically, and the idea of monowhite Elves makes me curious about how you would flavor them.
• shukkets: even though I do understand why they don't use it anymore, I have never had big problems with the Tribal card type personally.

Honorable mentions
• Sagharri: "You may have Clone etb..."? I guess it's a typo, like the lack of the article "a" before "-1/-1 counter". I really like the idea though, it's one of those cards that makes me go like: "Wait, this doesn't exist yet? Seriously?"
• Other honorable mentions: netn10, void_nothing.
Loot the Corpse 2BB
Instant (C)
Destroy target creature.
Investigate. (Create a colorless Clue artifact token with "2, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")
"Alright, my employer has been satisfied. Now let's see what this one had with themselves..."
—Zomart, mercenary assassin
slimytrout wrote:
4 years ago
henlock, shukkets

The upcoming return to Theros got me thinking about what a Roman-inspired set would look like, so the next few days worth of cards all spring from that:

Wary Centurion 2W
Creature – Ainok Soldier (U)
Legion – Whenever Wary Centurion attacks with at least one other Soldier, untap all attacking Soldiers. They get +1/+1 until end of turn.
"Keep your nostrils open. They could come from anywhere."
2/3
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: void_nothing, shukkets
Notes
Show
Hide
Tough one today. So many good cards.

Ink-Treader: I think I understand what the card does, if a player has less cards in their library than the difference between their starting life-total and their current life total they lose the game, if their current life total is less than their starting life total, right?. But damn if it isn't hard to grok at a first look at the card. I still like the card a lot, it's very interesting, reasonably costed, and entirely in color.

Anyway, on to today's entry
Vainglorious Bastard WB
Creature - Human Noble (Rare)
First strike
Whenever you cast a spell, you may pay 1. If you do, each opponent loses 1 life, and you gain life equal to the life lost.
2/1
Notes on the card
Show
Hide
It is the classical meaning of the word "Bastard". A noble person born out of wedlock.
Rithaniel wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: netn10, void_nothing
Comments/Replies
Show
Hide
  • To bravelion83: I was originally going to add some flavor text to the card, but my attention was occupied elsewhere. The idea was essentially that of wood elves/high elves, with high elves living in the Emerald Fields and wood elves being the more traditional type of elves. To define them more than that, though, you would need a little backstory. First one that comes to mind is that a long time ago all of the elves were united in trying to preserve nature. Some sought to become conservationist and others sought to spread their message. These two factions eventually grew apart, with the conservationists becoming the woods elves and the message-spreaders becoming the high elves, who are now more concerned with inter-nation politics.
  • Ink-Treader: You could have worded it as "Whenever a player's life total plus the number of cards in their library is less than or equal to their starting life total, they lose the game," which might make it easier to grok upon initial reading.
  • shukkets: Reminds me of Ghitu Firebreathing. Also, I wish WotC would do more with Tribal. There is a lot of stuff to explore in it.
Xodhreh's Querier
Creature - Eldrazi Drone U
Kicker
If Xodhreh's Querier was kicked, it enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it.
: Tap target permanent. If Xodhreh's Querier has a +1/+1 counter on it, that permanent doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
Xodhreh seeks to understand the world before it, as any other child would.
3/2
Ink-Treader wrote:
4 years ago
vote: bravelion83 and Rithaniel
Show
Hide
Rithaniel: That's definitely better wording. I appreciate it.
Sequestered Existence WW
Enchantment - Aura (R)
Enchant player
Enchanted player and permanents they control have protection from enchanted player. This effect doesn't remove Sequestered Existence.
What good is it to have a thing if you can't hold it?
shukkets wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: slimeytrout, bravelion83

Pathokinesis URR
Instant (R)
Attacking creatures get -2/-0 until end of turn.
Each attacking creature deals 2 damage to their controller.
emily wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: slimytrout, void_nothing

Mutaflux Weird 1UR
Creature — Weird (U)
0: Mutaflux Weird becomes your choice of a 2/2 with flying, a 3/1 with haste, or a 4/5 with defender. Then it loses this ability. (This effect lasts indefinitely.)
3/3
Sagharri wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: netn10, shukkets

Improvised Weapon 2
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Equipped creature gets +2/+1.
Whenever an artifact is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may return Improvised Weapon from your graveyard to your hand.
Equip 1
One man's trash is another man's bane.
netn10 wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: RattingRot, void_nothing

Dusk and Down, Duel Swords 4
Legendary Artifact - Equipment (Mythic)
Equipped creature has deathtouch and lifelink.
wb: Equipped creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
wb: Equipped creature gains indestructible until end of turn.
Equip 2
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Votes: Henlock, Rithaniel

Liege of Traitors 1WB
Creature - Skeleton Knight (R)
Whenever a nontoken creature dies, create a 1/1 black Skeleton Knight creature token with first strike.
1WB: Target creature gets your choice of +2/+1 or +1/+2 until end of turn. That creature gains lifelink until end of turn if it's a Skeleton. Untap that creature if it's a Knight.
2/2
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Henlock
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

rattinhrots, emily

Femeref Storyteller wg
Creature - Human Druid (r)
Reveal the first card you draw each turn. If the revealed card is an enchantment card, draw a card.
Little birds do tell her...
2/2

bravelion83
MKM MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

Votes: shukkets, RattingRots

Temporal Loop 4UU
Sorcery (M)
Take an extra turn after this one. Exile Temporal Loop.
Suspend 4—1U (Rather than cast this card from your hand, pay 1U and exile it with four time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter. When the last is removed, cast it without paying its mana cost.)
"Wait! Wasn't this exactly what happened as I woke up yesterday too?"
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | For my projects, including Jeff Lionheart, my murder mystery story "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", and republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", see Leo's content index (Last updated on March 24th 2024 - Added OPHTMH Episode 4).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

RattingRots
Pathological Scryer

Post by RattingRots » 4 years ago

slimytrout, Rithaniel

Pirate's Cove
Land (U)
: Add .
: Add one mana of any type an artifact you control could produce.
For Sale: Boots of +2 intellect. Never worn.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 4 years ago

Votes: shukkets, Rithaniel

Tarra, Master of the Dunes
Legendary Creature - Human Troll (Mythic Rare)
Flying, first strike, haste, lifelink, trample
: Target creature phases out.
YY: Tarra, Master of the Dunes gets +Y/+Y until end of turn.
5/5
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

emily, ink-treader (the card is pretty freaking weird, but I like it)

Second Roman-inspired card:

Passionate Tribune 2R
Creature – Human Noble (C)
Passionate Tribune attacks each combat if able.
Numen (When this creature dies, you may return it to the battlefield as an Enchantment - Aura with "Enchanted creature gets +3/+1 and attacks each combat if able.")
"I will always fight for these citizens. Always."
3/1

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 4 years ago

Votes: Ink-Treader, netn10

Engine of Postponement
Artifact R
, , Exile the top card of your library: Put target creature into its owner's library just beneath the top X cards of that library, where X is the converted mana cost of the exiled card.
"A clever device. It both fulfills and is fueled by people's instinct to procrastinate."
—Irala Koh, master of mnemodynamics
Last edited by Rithaniel 4 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Votes: emily, Sagharri,
Notes
Show
Hide
Honorable Mention: Ink-Treader. Sequestered Existence is kinda awesome. You can use it to disrupt your opponent in some instances, or you can play it on yourself to make yourself immune to things like your own Pestilence. Fun times.
Architecture Gnomes 3
Artifact Creature - Gnome (Rare)
2, T: Search your library for a land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library and put the revealed card back on top of it.
If Architecture Gnomes dies, you may search your library for a land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped. If you do, shuffle your library.
1/1
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

emily
No TERFs on Gruul Turf
Answers: 1
Pronoun: she / her

Post by emily » 4 years ago

Votes: RattingRots, Sagharri

Gravetender 3B
Creature — Zombie (U)
Whenever a creature card enters your graveyard from anywhere, if Gravetender is in your graveyard, you gain 1 life.
Dredge 1
2/2
Spelled with a lowercase "e". Formerly master_of_the_universe on MTGsalvation. Two time DCC champ (06/21, 07/21).

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

Vote: bravelion83 and Sagharri

Aether Yank UURR
Instant (R)
Counter target spell. If that spell is countered this way, permanents that produced mana spent to cast it don't untap during their controller's next untap step.
"How embarrassing. Should have trained those muscles."

shukkets

Post by shukkets » 4 years ago

Votes: emily, sagharri

Alchemic Prinicple 3U
Enchantment (R)
U, Sacrifice a permanent: Search your library for a card with same card type and converted mana cost as the permanent sacrificed to activate this ability.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 4 years ago

Votes: bravelion83, void_nothing

Dazzling Faerie W
Creature - Faerie (Rare)
Flying
Whenever Dazzling Faerie deals combat damage to a player, you may pay 1WW. If you do, until your next turn, that player can't cast noncreature spells.
No dancing partner could ever keep up with her moves.
1/1

Sagharri

Post by Sagharri » 4 years ago

Votes: Rithaniel, void_nothing

This was hard choice today - so many nice cards.

Boon of Eileefu 3G
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Incarnate 2G (When this Aura enters the battlefield, if you cast if for its incarnate cost, create a 0/0 colorless Spirit creature token, then attach this Aura to it.)
Enchant creature
Enchant creature gets +3/+3 and gains trample.
"Praise elephant-god and its children!" - Kuuza, the Enlightened"

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Votes: shukkets, emily

Din of Arcanum 1RR
Instant (R)
Copy target instant or sorcery spell. You may choose new targets for the copy. If an instant spell was copied in this way, each opponent sacrifices an artifact or a land. If a sorcery spell was copied in this way, Din of Arcanum deals 3 damage to each opponent.
Wort had a calling-bellow that could make earthquakes and thunder anywhere on Shadowmoor.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”