spacemonaut
38%

Total votes: 13

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

It's time to vote for the winner of the August CCL! Here's the challenge the finalists were up against:
Challenge
Design a monocolored creature card of each of the following colors that has or can gain the corresponding ability:
White - Deathtouch
Blue - First strike or double strike
Black - Vigilance
Red - Lifelink
Green - Prowess
And here are their entries:
barbecube wrote:
4 years ago
Shadowscale Resistance 2W
Creature — Hound Warrior (U)
Whenever Shadowscale Resistance blocks or becomes blocked by a Dragon, it gains deathtouch until end of turn if you control a Swamp.
Whenever a Dragon dies, put a +1/+1 counter on Shadowscale Resistance.
They wear armor forged in secret, deadly to Dromoka's brood.
2/3

Dragon's Eye Questioner 1U
Creature — Djinn Monk (C)
Flying
As long as you control a red creature, Dragon's Eye Questioner has first strike.
Every so often, a student comes along who sees a flaw in the Great Teacher's teachings.
2/1

Orphaned Rider 3B
Creature — Orc Warrior (R)
Tap an untapped white creature you control: Orphaned Rider gains vigilance until end of turn.
Whenever a creature dies, if Orphaned Rider is untapped, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
What good is conquering, if we are always alone?
3/3

Skyfire Shaman 2R
Creature — Orc Shaman (U)
3R: If w was paid to activate this ability, Skyfire Shaman gains lifelink until end of turn. Skyfire Shaman deals 2 damage to target creature. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
2/2

Riverbranch Shaman 1G
Creature — Human Shaman (R)
As long as you control an Island, Riverbranch Shaman has prowess.
1R: The next time you cast a spell, exile the top card of your library. You may play it until the end of your next turn.
2/1
spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago
W — Deathtouch
Arashin Cutthroat W
Creature — Hound Assassin (U)
Whenever a black or green creature enters the battlefield under your control, Arashin Cutthroat gains deathtouch until end of turn.
"Just the distraction I needed..."
1/1

U — First/double strike
Mistfire Prodigy 1U
Creature — Human Monk (U)
Prowess
Whenever you cast your second red or white noncreature spell each turn, Mistfire Prodigy gains first strike and flying until end of turn.
1/1

B — Vigilance
Legion Sentry 3B
Creature — Vampire Knight (R)
Magan Sentry has vigilance as long as you control a white creature.
3W, T: Target Vampire gains indestructible until end of turn.
4/4

R — Lifelink
Warband Restorer 1R
Creature — Cat Shaman Warrior (U)
Whenever Warband Restorer and at least two other white or black creatures attack, Warband Restorer gets +2/+0 and gains lifelink until end of turn.
"Through the blood of war we strengthen the bond of the clan."
2/2

(Warband Restorer would be found on an alternate non-Tarkir wedge plane where the red-white-black faction is white-centered.)

G — Prowess
Rhox Bloomtender 1G
Creature — Rhino Monk (R)
Hexproof, prowess
{W/U}, T: Add an amount of mana equal to Rhox Bloomtender's power in any combination of colors. Spend this mana only to cast noncreature spells.
1/3
Poll will be open for five days. Good luck to both finalists!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

I'm going to give critiques. It'll help me decide.
barbecube
Show
Hide
Shadowscale Resistance: Pretty similar to how I would have approached this. I bet this could do without the swamp requirement too, aiming for the flavor of taking down a - usually - higher power opponent.
Dragon's Eye Questioner: Seems pretty straight forward. Decent use of flavor to justify it.
Orphaned Rider: Seems okay. Flavor feels a little weak, but it's not too bad. Wondering if there was a better way to flavor the vigilance.
Skyfire Shaman: Yeah this works. Potentially a little oppressive, but it takes some spending and mana to get there.
Riverbranch Shaman: Honestly this seems actually quite a dangerously potent mana sink. Needs an until end of turn for that first half to avoid memory issues.
spacemonaut
Show
Hide
Arashin Cutthroat: Kind of an odd flavor, and a little weak. I suppose off-color effects should have to work for it though.
Mistfire Prodigy: This is kind of exciting. It gets some strong keywords for that relatively tricky requirement.
Legion Sentry: Seems pretty clever. I wonder if it has to be rare.
Warband Restorer: Seems fine. I kind of wish there was something more red going on though.
Rhox Bloomtender: Ah, this is a cute way to make use of prowess.
Some interesting approaches to such an odd challenge, that's for sure.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

Congratulations, [mention]barbecube[/mention] :) Well deserved

barbecube
Pronoun: he / him

Post by barbecube » 4 years ago

Thanks [mention]spacemonaut[/mention]! I really enjoyed this round and it was exciting being up against you!
formerly willows

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

I feel the same way, competing against you was great. :D

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”