Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

CCL August Quarterfinals

"Plowing On Through"

Bringer of the Blue Dawn, taken from EchoMTG, by Greg Staples and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

So, here is the first CCL on MTGNexus - time to begin. What are the first creature abilities that new Magic players know about? That's right - it's Evergreen Abilities Month here in the CCL.

Challenge
Design a nongreen creature card with trample.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • The card must have trample at all times, not merely be able to gain trample.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Contestants:
RaikouRider
barbecube
spacemonaut
bravelion83
Henlock
Ink-Treader
Cardz5000
Krishnath
Your submissions are due Wednesday, August 21st, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (July 31st-August 6th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (August 7th–12th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due August 14th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (August 18th–21st)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due August 23rd)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (August 24th–27th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due August 29th)
  • Final (End of month, winner determined by public poll)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

Hoarders Gang 4RR
Creature — Human Rogue (M)
Trample
When Hoarders Gang deals combat damage to a player, exile that many cards from the top of your library face down.
You may look at and play cards exiled with Hoarders Gang (as long as this creature is on the battlefield).
"If you want to know our story, just take a look at our trophies."
4/4
Last edited by bravelion83 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Cardz5000

Post by Cardz5000 » 4 years ago

Sunderer of Minds 3UBR
Creature - Demon {R}
Flying, trample
Whenever Sunderer of Minds deals combat damage to a player, that player exiles that many cards from their hand at random and then draws a card for each card exiled in this way. Until end of turn, you may cast nonland cards from among those exiled cards, and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any color to cast those spells.
5/5
Last edited by Cardz5000 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Clockwork Rhinoceros 7
Artifact Creature - Rhino (Common)
Trample
Clockwork Rhinoceros enters the battlefield with four +1/+1 counters.
Whenever Clockwork Rhinoceros attacks or blocks, remove a +1/+1 counter from it at end of combat.
2, T: Put a +1/+1 counter on Clockwork Rhinoceros.
0/0
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 4 years ago

Ocean Devourer 3UUU
Creature - Leviathan {M}
Trample
Ocean Devourer's base power and toughness are each equal to the number of Islands on the battlefield.
Ocean Devourer can't attack unless defending player controls at least three Islands.
1UU: Put a flood counter on target land. That land is an Island in addition to its other types for as long as it remains on the battlefield.
*/*

barbecube

Post by barbecube » 4 years ago

Snowblind Yeti 2R
Snow Creature — Yeti (U)
Trample
S: Snowblind Yeti gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
It hunts from the hearts of snowstorms.
2/2
formerly willows

Henlock
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

Havoc Gang 1rr
Creature - Human Berserker (u)
Prowess
Trample
Havoc Gang has Menace as long as its power is 4 or greater.
They are young and ruthless. They never knew the warmth of a home. Every vandalized building and every outraged citizen only seems to fuel their cruel escapades.
2/2

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

Eljagar, the Icetomb 2WUB
Legendary Snow Creature - Elemental (M)
When Eljagar, the Icetomb enters the battlefield, exile a card from your graveyard for each snow mana spent to cast it.
Trample
Whenever Eljagar deals combat damage to a player, exile target nonland permanent they control.
When Eljagar leaves the battlefield, return each card exiled by it to its owner's hand.
3/6

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

It's been almost a day since the deadline passed and we're missing one contestant. In the interest of expediency I'll give them until 9AM Eastern tomorrow and then close the round.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

Shockwave Elemental 1RRR
Creature — Elemental
Trample, haste
Whenever Shockwave Elemental deals combat damage to a player, it deals that much damage to each creature that player controls.
At the beginning of the end step, sacrifice Shockwave Elemental.
Always leaves a good first impression.
5/1

---

I appreciate the unexpected reprieve. Lots of Life Stuff(tm) was happening this week.

(The Ball Lightning card family is fun.)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And with that of course the round is closed. Please critique and T3 everyone - you have until 11:59 PM Eastern on the 25th.

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

Done.
Cardz5000
Show
Hide
Cardz5000 wrote:
4 years ago
Sunderer of Minds 3UBR
Creature - Demon {R}
Flying, trample
Whenever Sunderer of Minds deals combat damage to a player, that player exiles that many cards from their hand at random and then draws a card for each card exiled in this way. Until end of turn, you may cast nonland cards from among those exiled cards, and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any color to cast those spells.
5/5
I personally would hate to play against this card, because it does two of the things that I dislike the most in Magic: stealing my things, and doing it at random. This looks like a very unfun card to me. There is no problem with this card and what it does from a design point of view, it's just not for me as a player, like, at all.
Krishnath
Show
Hide
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
Clockwork Rhinoceros 7
Trample
Whenever Clockwork Rhinoceros attacks or blocks, remove a +1/+1 counter from it at end of combat.
0/0
First and foremost, this is just not a common card for today's standards. This is at the very least uncommon, for multiple reasons: text length, complexity, logistics, and maybe more. In a vacuum there are no problems with the design of this card, but not respecting the current design rules for rarity is a problem.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
RaikouRider wrote:
4 years ago
Ocean Devourer 3UUU
Creature - Leviathan {M}
Trample
Ocean Devourer's base power and toughness are each equal to the number of Islands on the battlefield.
Ocean Devourer can't attack unless defending player controls at least three Islands.
1UU: Put a flood counter on target land. That land is an Island in addition to its other types for as long as it remains on the battlefield.
*/*
I really think this card would care about "Islands you control" (both while counting them and while putting flood counters on them) if it were to be printed for real today, but this and the sheer length of the text are the only problem that I have with this card. Compared to other cards in this bracket, this card is simple and elegant, which is saying a lot about most of the cards that have been submitted in this round. This might need to get into my top three despite the remarks that I have expressed.
barbecube
Show
Hide
barbecube wrote:
4 years ago
Snowblind Yeti 2R
Snow Creature — Yeti (U)
Trample
2/2
Finally. Finally! Finally! A short, simple, and very elegant card, effective, very playable, and easy to understand for any player, regardless of whether competitive or casual and of their experience. I have nothing but words of praise for this card. Get the first place in my top three and let's move on.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Henlock wrote:
4 years ago
Havoc Gang 1rr
Prowess
Trample
They are young and ruthless. They never knew the warmth of a home. Every vandalized building and every outraged citizen only seems to fuel their cruel escapades.
2/2
Menace should not be capitalized, but that is the only problem on this card. I really like it. It's simple and elegant but also very effective. Another card that will for sure be in my top three.
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader wrote:
4 years ago
When Eljagar, the Icetomb enters the battlefield, exile a card from your graveyard for each snow mana spent to cast it.
Trample
Whenever Eljagar deals combat damage to a player, exile target nonland permanent they control.
When Eljagar leaves the battlefield, return each card exiled by it to its owner's hand.
3/6
I have no big problems with this card, it's just too long and complicated for my taste. I understand what it does and I like from a Mel point of view how the last ability is linked to both the first and the third ones (the second one is trample), and I can also appreciate the originality of having an effect depending on the amount of snow mana spent to cast the card. But again, this card is just too long and complicated for me to really like it. I'm sorry.
spacemonaut
Show
Hide
spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago
Shockwave Elemental 1RRR
Creature — Elemental
Trample, haste
Whenever Shockwave Elemental deals combat damage to a player, it deals that much damage to each creature that player controls.
5/1
While I have no big problems with the design of this card in a vacuum, just two words are enough to say what's wrong with it: missing rarity. Rarity is just too important as a part of a Magic card and I just can't vote for a card that's missing it. I'm sorry.
Top 3
1st place: barbecube
2nd place: Henlock
3rd place: RaikouRider
Last edited by bravelion83 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 9th 2024 - Added TLL #8).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on February 27th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (30): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar 2024 || Judge (58): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (3): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022 || Host (12): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun 2023

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

No time like the present, here's the critiques:

RaikouRider (Ocean Devourer) - Now this feels like a mythic leviathan. I am also happy that it doesn't colorscrew people, by making the target lands islands in *addition* to their other types. Only real difference I would do, would be to up the cost to 4UUU, but that is at most a minor issue.

barbecube (Snowblind Yeti) - Major disconnect between the name and the cards abilities. But the card itself is perfectly fine. Good use of the Snow mana mechanic.

Henlock (Havoc Gang) - It feels like there is a major disconnect between the cards abilities and its flavor. A large creature with Trample wants to be blocked by fewer creatures not more, so it getting menace when large feels very off.

Ink-Treader (Eljagar, the Icetomb) - Now, this card feels legendary, and it is also combolicious which makes it perfect for Commander. It also hits all three of the colors of its color identity. Nothing negative to say about it really.

spacemonaut (Shockwave Elemental) - This card wants to be mythic, it's basically a one shot Mirrorwing Dragon with trample and haste instead of flying. Unless your opponent blocks it, it could be a one sided sweeper. The card feels very, very red, which is perfect.

bravelion83 (Hoarder's Gang) - Feels weird that a rogue is a 4/4, even if it is a whole gang of them. Other than that, the card is fine, although perhaps a little expensive. I feel it wants to cost 3RR as a mythic.

Cardz5000 (Sunderer of Minds) - This card could be perfectly fine as a pure red and black card. Nothing about it seems blue, at all. The power level also seems a bit high for a rare card, I could see it as a mythic for that CC, but as a rare it would cost at least eight mana.

Votes:

#1: Ink-Treader
#2: RaikouRider
#3: spacemonaut

Edit: Forgot a critique, all good now.
Last edited by Krishnath 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

bravelion83
Show
Hide
Simple and straight forward. I wonder if red should be allowed to keep that information secret,
Cardz5000
Show
Hide
Exiling at random is brutal, but at least it gives something back. Can be entertaining. Wonder if it should be a little smaller.
Krishnath
Show
Hide
A throwback to the Clockwork creatures eh? This is significantly worse than Clockwork Vorrac though.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Not too scary on its own, not attacking until 2 turns after it comes down under normal conditions. But with certain other cards, this thing turns into true terror of the deep.
barbecube
Show
Hide
Nice little package. Potentially very potent.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Quite intriguing. Almost feels like a rare.
spacemonaut
Show
Hide
At its best, this would probably cost at least 1 more. At its worst... it's got the same weaknesses as Ball Lightning. I think this is a lot fairer than it seems at first glance.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. RaikouRider
2. Henlock
3. Cardz5000

barbecube

Post by barbecube » 4 years ago

bravelion83: Weak name, but looks fun to play. Nice work here.

Cardz5000: This doesn't feel like a demon to me, I guess, but again that's a small quibble and I generally like the card.

Krishnath: Ok sure.

RaikouRider: I dunno, I'm not feeling this; I think it's because it's so very texty, but I can't really tell you for sure.

Henlock: I like this a lot.

Ink-Treader: I enjoy this use of exile.

spacemonaut: Dramatic! I like this use of trample as direct damage.

Top 3:
1. Henlock
2. spacemonaut
3. Ink-Treader
formerly willows

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

bravelion83
Show
Hide
bravelion83 wrote:
4 years ago
Hoarders Gang 4RR
Trample
When Hoarders Gang deals combat damage to a player, exile that many cards from the top of your library face down.
You may look at and play cards exiled with Hoarders Gang (as long as this creature is on the battlefield).
4/4
I like this and it uses trample well. In mono red this seems like a color break. It'd be on color if it was an impulsive draw: "exile that many cards from your library face down. You may look at and play them until the end of turn." Would work great as a blue-red card.
Cardz5000
Show
Hide
Cardz5000 wrote:
4 years ago
Sunderer of Minds 3UBR
Creature - Demon {R}
Flying, trample
5/5
Powerful and effective. Good use of trample. Random discard isn't used often but this seems like a decent use of it since you're also replacing those cards.
Krishnath
Show
Hide
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
Clockwork Rhinoceros 7
Trample
0/0
Cute design. Nice work.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
RaikouRider wrote:
4 years ago
Ocean Devourer 3UUU
Creature - Leviathan {M}
Trample
*/*
This is pretty cute. Very threatening. I feel like this would be a rare instead of a mythic, but that's a relatively minor detail.
barbecube
Show
Hide
barbecube wrote:
4 years ago
Snowblind Yeti 2R
Snow Creature — Yeti (U)
Trample
2/2
I like this. Good use of trample, and flavorful use of snow mana for the firebreathing effect.
(Is the yeti meant to be snowblind itself? That's what the name seems to suggest.)
Henlock
Show
Hide
Henlock wrote:
4 years ago
Havoc Gang 1rr
Prowess
Trample
2/2
I like the way this is put together.

Outside of this challenge and its constraints I'd put the condition on trample rather than menace since otherwise it might lead to mistakes at uncommon. But given the challenge, this way around is OK.
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader wrote:
4 years ago
Trample
3/6
Abilities are very on color. It banishes and brings you back cards from your graveyard. I like that the cards you might get back acts as a bit of a rattlesnake to discourage removing it. At 3 power though it's going to be difficult to make use of the second to last ability. Granted, it's powerful. I feel like outside this challenge we'd replace the trample with another form of evasion.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. barbecube
2. Krishnath
3. Henlock

Response to bravelion83
Show
Hide
bravelion83 wrote:
4 years ago
While I have no big problems with the design of this card in a vacuum, just two words are enough to say what's wrong with it: missing rarity. Rarity is just too important as a part of a Magic card and I just can't vote for a card that's missing it. I'm sorry.
That's fair, I understand. It's a good thing for me to remember as super-important next time.

(I'm always afraid in these things that critique after someone's dinged me in a review might be perceived as tit-for-tat, but I promise I reviewed without being aware of who'd reviewed me how.)

Cardz5000

Post by Cardz5000 » 4 years ago

bravelion83
Show
Hide
bravelion83 wrote:
4 years ago
Hoarders Gang 4RR
Trample
4/4
This is a serious bend if not a break. Playing from exile is supposed to have a time limit for Red.
Krishnath
Show
Hide
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
Clockwork Rhinoceros 7
Trample
0/0
Clockwork Vorrac wasn't breaking anything to my knowledge, and this is just worse.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
RaikouRider wrote:
4 years ago
Ocean Devourer 3UUU
Creature - Leviathan {M}
Trample
*/*
With this being mythic, it would have been cool to see this rewrite lands rather than just add to them (Sea's Claim rather than Aquitect's Will)
barbecube
Show
Hide
barbecube wrote:
4 years ago
Snowblind Yeti 2R
Snow Creature — Yeti (U)
Trample
2/2
This is honestly much more unique than I thought it would be when I started searching for comparison points, so kudos there. while this would be no problem in limited, I feel like it should cost r more to be safe for constructed.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Henlock wrote:
4 years ago
Havoc Gang 1rr
Prowess
Trample
2/2
I would have liked the conditonal ability to be trample rather than menace to make combat tricks more relevant (I understand that this was a constraint of the challange.)
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader wrote:
4 years ago
Trample
3/6
Trample doesn't feel at home here.
spacemonaut
Show
Hide
spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago
Shockwave Elemental 1RRR
Creature — Elemental
Trample, haste
5/1
Missing rarity, but this feels solidly rare. The cost, power, and effect here all feel very in line with the ball lightning family, good work.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. barbecube
2. RaikouRider
3. spacemonaut

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 4 years ago

A top 3 only, D&D ran late so I'm short on time

1) barbecube
2) bravelion83
3) Cardz5000

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

quick top 3, sorry

3. Ink-treader
2. Barbecube
1. spacemonaut

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Congrats to our top 4:

barbecube
RaikouRider
spacemonaut
Henlock

Next round to come shortly!

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”