New Challenge Every Day - August 18th: Bonds

Locked Previous topicNext topic
starjake
Pronoun: he / him

Post by starjake » 4 years ago

Welcome to New Challenge Every Day!

Today's Challenge:
Bonds (the dual-guild "Bond of _____" cards from War of the Spark)

.::To Enter::.
In a single post:
  • Name exactly two other players to vote for their entries for the previous challenge. (In the event that there are two or less entries that you are allowed to vote for, you may vote for only one.)
  • Make a card that fits the current challenge.
  • Include an "If I Win" (IIW) for tomorrow's challenge if you win.
Each day we use the challenge of the previous day's winner. In the case of a tie, we'll use the IIW of the tied player who has least overall points.

.::Scoring::.
Votes you receive each day go to your points for the duration of the contest (currently planned to end on Sat Aug 31, at which time the points will reset for the next month). The top overall scorer(s) at the end of this period will be the winner(s).
Raptorchan: 16 (2)
slimytrout: 14 (5)
starjake: 11 (7)
Subject16: 11 (4)
Henlock: 10 (1)
void_nothing: 9 (2)
Legend: 9 (0)
folding_music: 8 (1)
Krishnath: 7 (0)
kwanyeegor-ii: 5 (0)
ForestsCarl: 0 (0)
BOVINE: 0 (0)
.::Note of the Day::.
Not sure if everyone loving Strategist of the Meek means it's a good card or obscenely overpowered...

Also, (thanks to void_nothing for showing this) apparently the most official wording for "shuffle your graveyard" is "reorder your graveyard at random", as indicated by the oracle text for Search for Survivors. There are no oracle texts I could find saying "shuffle your graveyard" that didn't involve shuffling it into your library. I've updated everyone's verbiage appropriately. Not sure why Wizards would bother with verbiage like that, but they're the boss I guess.

.::Yesterday's Submissions::.
Graveyard Shuffling
Legend wrote:Tomb Tiller
Artifact (U)
, , Put the top two cards of your library into your graveyard: Reorder your graveyard at random, then return the top card of your graveyard to your hand.

IIW: Casting cost with two or more different hybrid mana costs
Raptorchan wrote:Janimedes, Proctor of Renewal
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard (M)
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may shuffle a permanent card from your graveyard into your library, then reveal the top card of your library. If that card has the same name as the card that was shuffled into your library this way, put it onto the battlefield. Otherwise, put it into your hand.
2/2

IIW: Flying support without flying
folding_music wrote:Tombclasp
Sorcery (R)
Reorder your graveyard at random, then exile the top four cards. Your opponent chooses one of those cards. Add that card to your hand, then your opponent loses X life, where X is the total converted mana cost of the other cards exiled this way.
(honorary Weatherlight watermark)

IIW: Jewelry
Krishnath wrote:Restore Runes
Instant (R)
Multikicker (You may pay an additional any number of times as you cast this spell.)
Cast this spell only if three or more enchantment cards are in your graveyard.
Shuffle all enchantment cards in your graveyard into a facedown pile, then reveal the top card of that pile and put it into your hand. Repeat this process once for each time this spell was kicked. Exile the remaining cards.

IIW: Bringing Buyback Back
Subject16 wrote:Plundered Histories
Sorcery
Reorder target opponent's graveyard at random. Exile X cards from it face down, then that player shuffles their graveyard into their library. For as long as those cards remain exiled, you may look at them, you may play them, and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast them.
"The past belongs to me."

IIW: Entwine/Escalate
slimytrout wrote:Warden of the Tombs
Creature - Spirit (R)
Flash, flying
If a card would be moved from a graveyard to any zone other than the library, its owner shuffles that card into their library instead.
"I guard the buried, and I will not allow their rest to be disturbed."
1/3

IIW: "You win the game"/"Target player loses the game"
Cardz5000 wrote:Qarsi Smuggler
Creature - Naga Rogue
Qarsi Smuggler has hexproof in all zones.
Whenever Qarsi Smuggler is put into your graveyard from your library, you may shuffle it and up to one other target card from your graveyard into your library.
2/4

IIW: Three colored three mana cards.
starjake wrote:Graveyard Rioter
Creature - Goblin (R)
Whenever Graveyard Rioter deals combat damage to a player, you may discard a card. If you do, reorder that player's graveyard at random, Until end of turn, you may play the top card of that graveyard, and you may cast it without paying its mana cost.
1/1

IIW: A new keyword mechanic for Selesnya (since Convoke was repeated).
Henlock wrote:Shaman of Cycles
Creature - Human Shaman (R)
If a player would draw a card while no cards are in their library, that player shuffles their graveyard and all cards they own in exile into their library instead.
2/2

IIW A new Hatebear
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:Series of Hallucinations
Sorcery (R)
Shuffle your graveyard into your library. Each opponent discards a card for each card shuffled into your library this way.

IIW: legends
void_nothing wrote:Makhdahyndar, the Grisly Chance
Legendary Creature - Zombie Wizard (R)
Flying
, Discard a card: Exile target card from a graveyard.
, : Shuffle your library and reorder your graveyard at random, then reveal the top card of your library and choose a card in your graveyard at random. If they're both nonland cards that share a card type, you may cast them without paying their mana costs and repeat this process. Otherwise, creatures you control get +2/+0 until end of turn.
His name means "He For Whom the Stars Align."
3/1

IIW: Alaran shard-flavored legends
Editor's note: Thanks for telling us what it means. Now tell us how to pronounce it @_@

Cardz5000

Post by Cardz5000 » 4 years ago

please don't edit my cards: hexproof only functions on the battlefield, even though cards still have hexproof when they aren't on the battlefield, they can still be targeted in the graveyard. Qarsi Smuggler needed the specific wording I used to give it a Underworld Cerberus type effect for itself.

starjake

Post by starjake » 4 years ago

Well, something needs to be different, because how you had it worded before made it sound like the "in any zone" clause applied to the spells and abilities your opponents control, not to Qarsi Smuggler.

How about "Qarsi Smuggler can't be the target of spells or abilities your opponents control (even if this card isn't on the battlefield).", similar to the oracle text for Mistform Ultimus?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

You don't need to take it upon yourself to reword contestants' cards. In fact, you really should not do that at all - if someone makes a wording error or typo or formats their cards in a way that you don't, then you should still let it stand.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

Cardz5000 (was about to append a note saying I didn't know exactly what "hexproof in all zones" would mean in practice but I still liked the idea enough to vote for it), Subject16

Bond of Vitality 2G
Instant
Target creature you control gets +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the number of creatures you control. It fights target creature you don't control.
"The clans might not appreciate jasmine-infused herbal tea, but they certainly appreciate the power of nature."

IIW: multicolor sagas
Last edited by slimytrout 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 4 years ago

Votes: Legend, Krishnath

Bond of Utility ww
Sorcery (U)
As an additional cost to cast Bond of Utility, sacrifice any number of creatures. Creatures you control get +1/+1 for each creature sacrificed this way.
"We may have different views on what to do with our allies, but we can agree that having them is always helping."

IIW: More counters on permanents

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Votes: slimytrout, Henlock

Bond of Compatriots
2GW
Instant (Rare)
Buyback 3GW
Creatures you control get +1/+3 and gain banding and vigilance until end of turn.

(Banding is secondary in green, and vigilance is shared among them.)

IIW: Non-red dragons
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

I second/third the editing point. If our wording is off that's on us. Feel free to point it out before the next day if you want, but if you make changes without permission you may be making the card function differently without knowing.

Votes: starjake, Henlock

Bond of Destruction 4R
Sorcery (Uncommon)
Destroy up to two target artifacts and/or lands.
Whether it's an experiment gone wrong or a violent act against civilization, goblins love a good explosion.

IIW: Ninjas

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

votes: Raptorchan, Krishnath

Bond of Excruciation, 4BB
Sorcery (U)
All creatures get +2/-2 until end of turn. Whenever a creature dies this turn, its controller loses one life and you gain one life.
"Well, at least we agree on the whip. Why don't you use it on me first?" - Judith

IIW: storage counters

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

Bond of Restoration 3w
Sorcery (u)
Return target enchantment card from your graveyard to the battlefield. Each player puts three cards from his or her graveyard in the bottom of his or her ibrary in any order.

IIW: A new hatebear

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 4 years ago

raptorchan voidnothing

Bond of Feints 3R
Sorcery (Uncommon)
Gain control of target equipment and attach it to target creature you control. Until end of turn, that creature gains "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, exile that many cards from the top of your library and you may play those cards until the end of your next turn"
"At times like these tricks should be employed in the theater and in battle"

iiw serf tokens

Henlock dont forget to vote!!
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”