New Modes and Targets

Legend
Aethernaut
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

Tracer's Quill (Common)
{U/R}
Sorcery
Create a Scroll token. (It's an artifact with "3, T, Sacrifice this artifact: Copy target instant or sorcery spell you control. You may choose new modes and targets for the copy.")

Is it necessary to include "modes" in the reminder text or can you already normally change modes of copied modal spells?
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

That's a very nice mechanic and if the Scrolls existed they would swiftly be my favorite predefined token but it really could only be used at uncommon and higher - I think it's too complex for common.

As to the rules issue: Yes you have to say "new modes" if that's your intent. A mode is a copiable value for a spell (or activated or triggered ability): See CR 706.10.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Card Rulings”