Basic Equipment

Legend
Aethernaut
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

I'm looking for a way, if it's possible, to create identic Equipment tokens in the way that Treasure tokens are created. Such as:

Create an Equipment token. (It's an artifact with "Equip 1" and "Equipped creature gets +1/+1.")

Does that work?
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 2 years ago

There is, and that does work! Treasure, Food, and so on are called predefined tokens, and they're all declared in Comprehensive Rule 111.10:
111.10. Some effects instruct a player to create a predefined token. These effects use the definition below to determine the characteristics the token is created with. The effect that creates a predefined token may also modify or add to the predefined characteristics.
111.10a. A Treasure token is a colorless Treasure artifact token with "{T}, Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color."
111.10b. A Food token is a colorless Food artifact token with "{2}, {T}, Sacrifice this artifact: You gain 3 life."
111.10c. A Gold token is a colorless Gold artifact token with "Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color."
111.10d. A Walker token is a 2/2 black Zombie creature token named Walker.
111.10e. A Shard token is a colorless enchantment token with "{2}, Sacrifice this enchantment: Scry 1, then draw a card."
111.10f. A Clue token is a colorless Clue artifact token with "{2}, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card."
Give your token a definition in this list, and you're done—that's it! Reminder text like you wrote would imply such an entry exists in this list for the purpose of that custom card.

The identifier doesn't necessarily have to relate to subtypes (see Walkers), so you can define more specific equipment. For example, I could create a card that says "create an Axe token" and add this to the list to support it:
111.10g. An Axe token is a colorless Equipment artifact token with equip {1} and "Equipped creature gets +2/+0" named Axe.
(As it turns out, the definition of Shard seems to fail to mention it uses the Shard subtype, but that seems like it might be a mistake?)

Legend
Aethernaut
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

spacemonaut wrote:
2 years ago
There is, and that does work!
Great news! Thanks!
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Card Rulings”