Legend
Aethernaut
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

Simple question: Does this work?

Pattern for Conquest (Rare)
1R
Enchantment
When Pattern for Conquest enters the battlefield, exile target token you control.
3R: Create a token that's a copy of the exiled token. Activate only as a sorcery.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 2 years ago

It does not work.

This is because "the exiled card" (or in this case "the exiled token") depends on the card actually being there in exile. If it somehow exits exile, the card doesn't use last known information, it just stops working. Tokens vanish immediately once in exile, so this card would just never function.

You can see this reflected in the rulings on Exclusion Ritual:
If the exiled card somehow leaves exile, the last ability will no longer have any effect. (2011-06-01)

Legend
Aethernaut
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

spacemonaut wrote:
2 years ago
It does not work.

This is because "the exiled card" (or in this case "the exiled token") depends on the card actually being there in exile. If it somehow exits exile, the card doesn't use last known information, it just stops working. Tokens vanish immediately once in exile, so this card would just never function.

You can see this reflected in the rulings on Exclusion Ritual:
If the exiled card somehow leaves exile, the last ability will no longer have any effect. (2011-06-01)
That's what I was afraid of. I think I got it. Thanks.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Card Rulings”