When a nontoken creature ETB, exile it and create a token...

Mimicvat
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Mimicvat » 3 years ago

I've been putting together a deck for a custom commander from the Custom Dragon Highlander group. The commander is named Yoko, Scrambled Reality, and it has the rules text "whenever a nontoken creature enters the battlefield under your control, exile that creature with a scrambled counter on it and create a 1/1 white egg golem creature..."

If a creature enters the battlefield, this ability will trigger. Then lets say the creature is killed or sacrificed at instant speed. I imagine the creature would not go into exile with a scrambled counter. But, what I'm not sure about, is if the egg will be created. Is this a case of the game fulfilling all the rules that it can (no exile, but yes egg) or is the entire replacement clause nullified because the creature is no longer exiled? Or something else entirely??
Currently building: ww Bruna, the Fading Light (card advantage tribal / reanimator)
Main decks;
r Neheb, Big Red Champion g Yeva's Mono Green Control, b Ayara's Aristocrats rb Greven, Predator Captain the One Punch Man, ugw Derevri, Empirical Tactician Aggro,rwbu Tymna & Kraum's Saboteurs, wbg Kondo & Tymna's Hatebears wugTuvasa's Silver Bullets, urBrudiclad does Brudiclad thingsgubSidisi, Brood Tyrant (lantern control)

WizardMN
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WizardMN » 3 years ago

As you have it right now, the creation of the egg is not contingent on the exiling of the creature that entered. That is, if they do what you are suggesting, the Egg is created anyway for the reason you stated: the game is trying to do as much as possible.

If you want it to be contingent on it being exiled, just add in a "if you do" condition. So, it will read "whenever a nontoken creature enters, exile it with a scrambled counter on it. If you do, create a token".

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Card Rulings”