Token CMC

Legend
Aethernaut
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Legend » 3 years ago

Could a token be given a mana cost (and therefore a converted mana cost) greater than zero by spelling it out in its rules (or reminder) text? Such as:

Crate a 2/2 colorless Construct artifact creature token with mana cost 2.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

202.1b Some objects have no mana cost. This normally includes all land cards, any other cards that have no mana symbols where their mana cost would appear, tokens (unless the effect that creates them specifies otherwise), and nontraditional Magic cards. Having no mana cost represents an unpayable cost (see rule 118.6). Note that lands are played without paying any costs (see rule 305, "Lands").
Based on a strict reading of this, it does appear possible to have a token with a mana cost if you specify it explicitly.

Legend
Aethernaut
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Legend » 3 years ago

Mookie wrote:
3 years ago
202.1b Some objects have no mana cost. This normally includes all land cards, any other cards that have no mana symbols where their mana cost would appear, tokens (unless the effect that creates them specifies otherwise), and nontraditional Magic cards. Having no mana cost represents an unpayable cost (see rule 118.6). Note that lands are played without paying any costs (see rule 305, "Lands").
Based on a strict reading of this, it does appear possible to have a token with a mana cost if you specify it explicitly.
Thanks for finding that! It didn't even occur to me that there'd be mention of it in the comps. Much appreciated.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Card Rulings”