Modularish

Legend
Aethernaut
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Legend » 3 years ago

Does this sound right? I'm looking at modular reminder text for the wording. But this isn't reminder text, and I don't want it to target (for thematic if not mechanical reasons). And does it need "When it leaves the battlefield this way" at all?

Astral Rejection (Common)
1U
Instant
Return target nonland permanent to its owner's hand. When it leaves the battlefield this way, put its counters on a permanent.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

As it is currently worded, it'll lead to some strange situations, like loyalty counters on land for example. You can get around this problem by tacking on "That shares a type with the permanent returned in this way" at the end.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 3 years ago

The use of "When..." indicates a delayed trigger. Is this intentional or did you want it all one effect. If so there is no reason to talk about it leaving the battlefield. There is no way to keep the card on the field without countering this spell so you don't need to call it out.
Making it all one clear effect.
Move all counters from target nonland permanent to another permanent of your choice. Then return it to its owner's hand.
This is very powerful especially with Planeswalkers. To keep the cost low I think you need "With the same controller" on the counter moving.
Move all counters from target nonland permanent to another permanent controlled by the same player. Then return it to its owner's hand.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Card Rulings”