Combat damage triggering separately

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

I just had this weird idea I dunno if it works or if it even does anything

Resolve each instance of creatures dealing combat damage separately. Each player chooses which creature they control deals it's combat damage simultaneously.

Just a weird idea. I know this next question is outside of rulings but it doesn't actually feel like it does much. It changes combat some but it's so minor it seems like a lotta rules for pretty much no effect. Does this do anything really? My first impression is it's just some kinda weird first strike.

user_938036
Answers: 21
Pronoun: he / him

Post by user_938036 » 3 years ago

Besides being a funky firststrike It can only really do things when you attack for lethal damage but the defender has lifelink creatures. You can make it so you assign lethal damage before their lifelinkers assign damage thus killing them. It's so incredibly narrow that I can't imagine its worth the nightmare of getting it to function right.

Actually I have no idea what the second sentence is trying to accomplish. Is it specifically undoing what the first sentence did? You resolve the damage separately but players choose how they happen Simultaneously?

Pygyzy

I was trying to make "batches" with combat. It's supposed to be each player's creature deals damage simultaneously. So you have one and I have one both deal damage, then repeat

user_938036
Answers: 21
Pronoun: he / him

Post by user_938036 » 3 years ago

Ok, I understand what you were doing there. And it removed the one value of doing this. You don't want your opponent to have any choice here because you already get such a minor advantage you can't hand any advantage over to your opponent. Such an effect has to essentially have your creatures all deal damage first or there is no value.

It sounds like it would be fun but 99.999% of the time its best outcome will be "Target creature gains firststrike."

Pygyzy

That's what i thought ok. I guess I'll see if the funky first strike has any interesting applications.

I thought it might interact with combat triggers in a weird way.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Card Rulings”