templating planewalker with parley

Stankweed Imp
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Stankweed Imp » 4 years ago

This is for the MCC. Need any templating help that can be offered.

Arjen, the Deposed 1
Legendary Creature - Human Noble {M}
When Arjen, the Deposed enters the battlefield, you become the monarch.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if an opponent is the monarch transform Arjen, the Deposed.
////
Arjen,
Legendary Planeswalker - Arjen {M}
0: Parley- Each player reveals the top card of his or her library. For each nonland card revealed this way, put a loyalty counter on Arjen. Then each player draws a card.
-2: Until your next turn, whenever a creature an opponent controls attacks, if you're the defending player, create a 3/3 red and white soldier creature token.
-5: Each player other than target player creates a 5/5 red and white Giant creature token.

I'm not convinced by parley in red. Breaks the colour pie. Any thoughts? (the manacost is one of the design parameters).

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

The card is templated just fine. Just look out for quality mistakes in grammar and punctuation for the MCC. Of note, "his or her" has been change to "their" for a couple of years.

As for the issue of the 0 ability on the back face, I can't recall any precedent for putting ability words into loyalty abilities (or as nested abilities of any kind, for that matter). From a templating perspective there it may be best just to drop the parley.

I won't give substantive design advice about contest entries pre-judgment.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Stankweed Imp
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Stankweed Imp » 4 years ago

Thanks that's a huge help. I wasn't aware of grammer changes as I haven't entered the competitions for years (last time was mtgsalvation). Cheers.

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

You've missed an important part of transform walkers. Your creature needs to exile and enter transformed otherwise there is no way to get loyalty counters on them and they will immediately be put into the graveyard.

On the note of Parley. Ability words don't actually mean anything and they aren't really brought back on one of cards. That said because it doesn't mean anything its technically fine to add it.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Also, make sure to use generic mana symbols.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Card Rulings”