Legend
Aethernaut
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Legend » 4 years ago

Town Guard (Common)
3W
Creature — Human Soldier
2/4
Town Guard can block up to one creature of each color each combat.

Is this capable of blocking colorless creatures?
Is it capable of blocking Battlewise Hoplite creature and Agent of Masks creature, even though they share a color?
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

I'm not 100% on the wording, will keep checking, it can't block colorless but can block both creatures you mentioned as well as a mono white creature because its ability looks for the five colors and checks them off it doesn't look at the blocked creatures and count all of its colors.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

Nice concept!

I suspect the template you're drafting here is a bit too ambiguous. It also rubs up badly against rule 101.1: to override a rule you need to directly contradict it, and I think this doesn't contradict the "you can only block one creature" restriction directly enough.

Current cards which can block multiple creatures do so by saying they can block additional creatures. I think this card might need to say the following:
For each color, Town Guard can block an additional creature each combat if the additional creature is that color.
This lets me block any arbitrary creature (colored or colorless) plus an additional white creature, additional blue, etc. I could block three Battlewise Hoplites this way: one for my ordinary block, one for white, and one for blue. I could also block a colorless creature, an Agent of Masks, and a Battlewise Hoplite.

Legend wrote:
4 years ago
Is it capable of blocking Battlewise Hoplite creature and Agent of Masks creature, even though they share a color?
Whichever template you go with, Muldrotha, the Gravetide's ruling helps us with a precedent in its rulings:
For example, you may cast an artifact creature card as your artifact card and cast another artifact creature card as your creature card.
This means we can say the Agent of Masks counts as the black blocker and the Battlewise Hoplite counts as the blue blocker. (Or we can count it as the white blocker and, in addition to those two, block a mono-blue creature.)

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 4 years ago

Thanks y'all!
spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago
For each color, Town Guard can block an additional creature each combat if the additional creature is that color.
Would this allow it to block two Squires? My goal is for it to be able to block wubrg, but not wwubr.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

Legend wrote:
4 years ago
Thanks y'all!
spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago
Would this allow it to block two Squires? My goal is for it to be able to block wubrg, but not wwubr.
You can block two Squires with this template. One would be your normal block, one would be your additional block for white. You could not block three squires.

So you can block {WUBRG}WUBRG where is any color or colorless.

I don't know of a template yet that constrains you away from blocking two squires without having other breaking side-effects. That's not to say there isn't one, maybe there's something super obvious I'm missing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Card Rulings”