A Custom Mechanic Question

Legend
Aethernaut
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Legend » 4 years ago

Recall is a mix of flashback and emerge. My question is, must the cost reduction only check converted mana cost or is it okay for it to include colors? Why or why not?

Rejection (Common)
3U
Instant
Return target nonland permanent to its owner's hand.
Recall 5U (Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may cast this card from your graveyard for its recall cost reduced by that creature's mana cost. Then exile this.)
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Don't see why not considering offering reduces costs by mana costs.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 4 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Don't see why not considering offering reduces costs by mana costs.
Is it required for the reminder text to include "Mana cost includes color."?
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Using a card's full cost in the mana reduction ought to work mechanically. It isn't a thing that is usually done though - most cards only reduce the colorless component (such as Helm of Awakening) or colored component (such as Edgewalker). I can't actually think of any cards that reduce both. It also raises weird rules questions - if you cast Nightveil Specter, does it reduce the cost by 3, U, or 2U? Generally preferable to stick with the implementation that reduces ambiguity. (edit: I forgot Offering. I blame it being from Kamigawa block.)

From a balance perspective, I would recommend only reducing the colorless component, by the creature's CMC - requiring colored mana gives you another knob to manipulate when balancing the cards (ex: 5u vs 4uu is a much bigger difference if you can't get rid of the colored mana). It also means people have to actually make a choice with regards to whether or not the use the Recall ability - if it's free, then the answer will generally be 'always yes'. Free spells are also very often problematic developmentally. Consider how you want your cards to function alongside Evoke creatures like Aethersnipe, for example.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Card Rulings”