Avornath's Veil (Custom Set Concept)

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dusk » 4 years ago

I've had the idea for this set for awhile now, playing with it here and there. Would like to get an idea of where it's worth fleshing out or not. Any thoughts and feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Plane Information:
Avornath - Plane, due to a world-breaking event from ages ago the plane was split into two halves, divided by an impassable wall of visible, raw energy known as the Veil. On one side is perpetual day, where everything is orderly and organized, run by a group called the Lightkeepers, and is closer to nature and natural beauty due to the abundance of sunlight. On the other side is perpetual night, run by the Shaded Council, and has made leaps and bounds in artifice in order to cope with the darkness. What the denizens of Avornath do not realize is that there is someone nearly identical to them on the other side of the Veil

The Veil - A wall of pure energy (likely mana), visible to the naked eye. No one who has attempted to cross the Veil has returned.

Lightkeepers and Lightkeep - Lightkeep is central city on the light side, and serves as the Lightkeepers' seat of power. Through an intricate system of rules, roles, and forced community, the Lightkeepers control everything on the light side, quashing any form of difference before it can threaten them. For them, they want nothing to do with the Veil or trying to pass it. Instead they want to sit back and enjoy their power.

Shaded Council and Shadow's Den - Shadow's Den is the meeting place for the Shaded Council, a group of the most distinguished people from each of the different areas of life in the dark. Usually the Council is comprised of 7-10 people, with the number being in flux depending on the needs of the people. The Shaded Council wants to find a way to either bridge the Veil or destroy it, as they want to know what's on the other side in a pursuit of more knowledge and ways to advance their work.

Set information:
Colors - Lightkeepers and the light side will be GW while the Shaded Council and the dark side will be UB. R will serve a bridge color between the two, appearing on cards from both sides.

Mirrored Pairs - one of the biggest themes will be mirrored pairs, reflecting the fact that for every one person on the light side, there is one very similar person on the other.

Planeswalkers - Two of the walkers would be natives from the plane. Due to the split nature of the plane itself, their sparking has some particular side effects to their mental state, which would be explored. The third walker would be from off plane, interested in the Veil.

Mechanics - Each side would have their own mechanic, playing to what they do and strive for.
That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

An excellent resonant concept, first off - parallel universes with less narrative mess/a cleaner and more current riff on Rabiah.

A mirrored pair theme sounds great but that doesn't really lend itself to anything specifically mechanically - I'd advise you to try to do something mechanically tight with the idea of symmetry.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

Was not around for Rabiah, but will take a look at the plane to see what was done.

For the mechanic, I have an idea for one but not really sure if it would work. Most recent versions have been reliant on what mana was spent on the creature, using hybrid mana symbols. Something like:
Loyal Soldier 2{w/b}
Human Soldier
Chosen Path (working name) - If was paid with , this creature is light. If was paid with , this creature is dark.
Loyal Soldier has First Strike if it is light or has Menace if it is dark.
2/1

My worry is that the mechanic would be too wordy/confusing and does not completely represent the dual nature of the plane. Would simply turning light and dark into mechanics accomplish this?

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

These are the two mechanics I've come up with for now, the ones for the two factions/groups. Not sure how much these play into the symmetry of the plane, but fit the groups flavor and what they are striving/working for
Lightkeepers mechanic - Impose
Impose X: When this creature enters the battlefield, you may tap X untapped creatures you control. If you do, ...
Impose is meant to represent the rules and regulations set by the Lightkeepers in order to keep control over the people. By imposing their will upon their citizens, they keep power, but only if they manage their imposing (represented by the tapping of creatures).

Shaded Council mechanic - Discover
Discover: At the beginning of your untap step you may choose the not untap this permanent. If you do, ...
Discover is meant to represent the Shaded Coucil's idea of continued learning, no matter what. Leaving the permanent tapped is the sacrifice needed to discover something.

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

I think the light/dark mechanic is fine, because if it was an actual Wizards release they'd do punch out cards like the exert ones from Amonkhet so you could keep track of what was marked where.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

dangerousdice

Post by dangerousdice » 3 years ago

this... works really well with mdfcs! just have one side be light and one side be dark!

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

Post by Dusk » 3 years ago

That is a great idea and actually will help me return to this concept once grad school is done kicking my ass. I've had ideas off and on, but really want to take the time to flesh this idea and concept out more.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Set Creation”