[FOB] Fallen Obalt

NUMBERS
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NUMBERS » 4 years ago

This is in the middle of a pretty major rework.
Fallen Obalt
Size: ~264
Major Themes: Crime, Clues, Sacrifice
Minor Themes: Punishment, Cost Reduction, Tribal
Mechanics
Show
Hide
Blackmail
Blackmail — EFFECT if an opponent sacrificed a permanent this turn.
Blackmail — When an opponent sacrifices a permanent, EFFECT.

Criminal Cycling
Cycling (, Discard this card: Draw a card.)

When you cycle CARD NAME, each opponent investigates. (To investigate, create a colorless Clue artifact token with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")

Ravenous
Ravenous (You may cast this spell for its ravenous cost. If you do, sacrifice a permanent as you cast it.)
Special thanks to [mention]spacemonaut[/mention] for the updated wording!
Example Cards
Show
Hide
Forsworn Edict
1B
Sorcery
Each opponent sacrifices a creature.

When you cycle Forsworn Edict, each opponent investigates. (To investigate, create a colorless Clue artifact token with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")
Retributive Lightning
2R
Instant
Blackmail — This spell costs less if an opponent sacrificed a permanent this turn.

Deal 3 damage to any target.

"Justice is best served swiftly and smelling of ozone."
-Abliont, Constable Mage

Powerful Revelations
2UU
Instant
Ravenous 1U (You may cast this spell for its ravenous cost. If you do, sacrifice a permanent as you cast it.)

Draw two cards.

"Who can say what is a fair price?"
-Gogugy, Street Merchant

Special thanks to [mention]void_nothing[/mention] for inspiring this posts layout with his Mercadian Mysteries thread.
Last edited by NUMBERS 4 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
[FOB] Fallen Obalt | A custom set of Crime, Clues, and Sacrifice.

NUMBERS

White
Show
Hide
Favored Protector
1W
Creature - Leonin Wizard
Blackmail — Favored Protector has flash if an opponent sacrificed a permanent this turn.

When Favored Protector enters the battlefield, you may have target creature you control gain protection from the color of your choice until end of turn.

2/2
Obalt Constable
1W
Creature - Human Knight Mercenary
Obalt Constable has First Strike as long as a player controls a Clue.

When you cycle Obalt Constable, each opponent investigates. (To investigate, create a colorless Clue artifact token with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")
2/1
Sacrificial Rebuke
2WW
Instant
Ravenous 2W (You may cast this spell for its ravenous cost. If you do, sacrifice a permanent as you cast it.)

Target attacking creature's controller sacrifices it.

"Swords to what now?"
-Enk, Battle Scholar

Call The Irregulars
W
Instant
Create a 1/1 white Soldier creature token.

Investigate. (Create a colorless Clue artifact token with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")

"I hate them."
-Grie, Goblin Fixer

Blue
Show
Hide
Evidence Processing
1U
Enchantment
When Evidence Processing enters the battlefield, investigate. (Create a colorless Clue artifact token with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")

, Sacrifice a Clue: Draw a card.
Refuse Magic
1U
Instant
Ravenous (You may cast this spell for its ravenous cost. If you do, sacrifice a permanent as you cast it.)

Counter target non-creature spell.

"Well, that was rude."
-Gogugy, Street Merchant

Unwitting Conspiracy
U
Instant
Draw a card.

Each player investigates. (To investigate, create a colorless Clue artifact token with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")

"Before you know it, they've pulled you in."
-Grie, Goblin Fixer

Obalt Inspector
1u
Artifact Creature - Vedalken Artificer
Flash

When Obalt Inspector enters the battlefield, you may counter target spell with converted mana cost X or less, where X is the number of artifacts you control. (To investigate, create a colorless Clue artifact token with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")
1/2
Demur Detective
U
Creature - Spirit Soldier
Flash

When Demur Detective enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice a permanent. If you do, draw a card.

Surprisingly reckless.

1/1
Powerful Revelations
2UU
Instant
Ravenous 1U (You may cast this spell for its ravenous cost. If you do, sacrifice a permanent as you cast it.)

Draw two cards.

"Who can say what is a fair price?"
-Gogugy, Street Merchant

Black
Show
Hide
Forsworn Edict
1B
Sorcery
Each opponent sacrifices a creature.

When you cycle Forsworn Edict, each opponent investigates. (To investigate, create a colorless Clue artifact token with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")
Obalt Brute
B
Creature - Vampire Mercenary
Lifelink

When Obalt Brute deals combat damage to a player, they investigate. (To investigate, create a colorless Clue artifact token with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")

Organized crime thrives on Fallen Obalt.

2/1
Suspicious Murder
BB
Instant
Destroy target creature. It's controller investigates. (To investigate, create a colorless Clue artifact token with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")

"Killed in broad daylight, everyone's talking, and we're still no closer to an arrest."
-Aithen, Constable

Obalt Fixer
2B
Creature - Goblin Mercenary
This spell costs less to cast for each Clue an opponent controls.

"Sure we're blatant, but that's our strength."
-Grie, Goblin Fixer

3/2
Red
Show
Hide
Unbridled Rage
2R
Sorcery

Each opponent sacrifices a non-land permanent.
Unsubtle Blast
R
Instant
Deal 3 damage to target creature. It's controller investigates. (To investigate, create a colorless Clue artifact token with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")

"You know that had to come from somewhere."
-Aithen, Constable

Forswear Artifice
R
Instant
Each opponent sacrifices an artifact.

When you cycle Forswear Artifice, each opponent investigates. (To investigate, create a colorless Clue artifact token with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")
Vengeful Pyromancer
RR
Creature - Viashino Wizard
Haste

Blackmail — When an opponent sacrifices a permanent, deal 1 damage to any target.

She knows. And for that, you'll pay.

2/1
Obalt Brutalist
2R
Creature - Goblin Soldier
First Strike

Obalt Brutalist has Double Strike as long as a player controls a Clue.

"Do not investigate!"
-Marker Street Murders Case Notes

2/1
Retributive Lightning
2R
Instant
Blackmail — This spell costs less if an opponent sacrificed a permanent this turn.

Deal 3 damage to any target.

"Justice is best served swiftly and smelling of ozone."
-Abliont, Constable Mage

Burn Away Lies
R
Instant
Deal 1 damage to any target.

Investigate. (To investigate, create a colorless Clue artifact token with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")

"It may not be the truth, but it's nearly as good!"
-Maryhk, Street Preacher

Green
Show
Hide
Enk's Interrogation
G
Legendary Enchantment
Whenever an opponent casts a non-creature spell, investigate. (Create a colorless Clue artifact token with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")

"Curiosity never hurt no one!"
-Enk, Battle Scholar

Ravenous Growth
G
Instant

Target creature gets +2/+2. If you paid this cards Ravenous cost, it gets +4/+4 instead.
Unhallowed Tiller
1G
Creature - Human Horror
When Ravenous Tiller enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice a permanent. If you do, you may search your library for a basic land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped. If you search your library this way, shuffle it.
1/2
Ravenous Beast
G
Creature - Beast Horror
When Ravenous Beast deals combat damage to a player, you may sacrifice a permanent. If you do, deal damage equal to Ravenous Beast's power to that player.
1/1
Original Version
Show
Hide
Ravenous Beast
G
Creature - Beast Horror
When Ravenous Beast deals combat damage to a player, you may sacrifice a permanent. If you do, deal damage equal to its power to that player.
1/1
Last edited by NUMBERS 4 years ago, edited 6 times in total.

NUMBERS

Multi
Show
Hide
Cothyriz' Pet
{b/g}{b/g}
Creature - Human Horror
Ravenous 0 (You may cast this spell for its ravenous cost. If you do, sacrifice a permanent as you cast it.)
Haste
If Cothyriz' Pet's Ravenous cost was paid, sacrifice it at the beginning of the next end step.

"Pity the thing. But forsake it all the same."
-Maryhk, Street Preacher

2/1
Amathos, the Ravenous
UBR
Legendary Creature - Horror Wizard
Ravenous {u/r}{b/r} (You may cast this spell for its ravenous cost. If you do, sacrifice a permanent as you cast it.)
Cards in your hand gain Ravenous. Their Ravenous cost is equal to their mana cost as you play them.
You may cast spells for their Ravenous cost as though they had flash.

"My favorite nightmare."
-Cothyriz, Sadistic Aristocrat

3/2
Cothyriz, Sadistic Aristocrat
GB
Legendary Creature - Zombie Wizard
Haste, Lifelink
Sacrifice a permanent: Cothyriz, Sadistic Aristocrat gets +1/+0 and Trample until end of turn.

"It merely must suffer..."
-Cothyriz

2/1
Exploit Existence
2WB
Instant
Ravenous WB (You may cast this spell for its ravenous cost. If you do, sacrifice a permanent as you cast it.)

Target permanent's controller sacrifices it.

'What's yours is nothing.'

Shocking Elemental
{r/g}
Creature - Elemental
Flash (You may cast this spell any time you could cast an instant.)

When Shocking Elemental enters the battlefield, it fights target creature.

"It is given life to die in glorious combat!"
-Tryne, Arena Master

2/1
Obalt Sneak
{g/u}{g/u}
Creature - Merfolk Rogue
Obalt Sneak has flash as long as a player controls a Clue.

When you cycle Obalt Sneak, each opponent investigates. (To investigate, create a colorless Clue artifact token with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")
2/2

Colorless
Show
Hide
Spiritual Awakening
X
Sorcery
As an additional cost to cast Spiritual Awakening, sacrifice X permanents.
Create X 2/2 colorless Spirit creature tokens.

"Absolution comes in many forms."
-Maryhk, Street Preacher

Land
Show
Hide
Obalt Island
Land
As Obalt Island enters the battlefield, if an opponent controls a Clue, investigate and Obalt Island enters the battlefield tapped. (To investigate, create a colorless Clue artifact token with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")

: Add to your mana pool.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

nice cards so far, love how everything locks together. Would this setting have planeswalkers and, if so, would they be part of the sacrifice and clue mini-game or have entirely other abilities that call back to their home planes?

NUMBERS

folding_music wrote:
4 years ago
nice cards so far, love how everything locks together. Would this setting have planeswalkers and, if so, would they be part of the sacrifice and clue mini-game or have entirely other abilities that call back to their home planes?
Thank you!

As to planeswalkers... I haven't quite decided. I feel having them is somewhat obligatory, but haven't really come upon enough interesting ideas for them tied into the mini-games or otherwise. For personal knowledge reasons it's most likely that I would try to use custom walkers over the storyline walkers as well.

zdtsd

Post by zdtsd » 4 years ago

Most of this is pretty good, but Blackmail seems a bit narrow and parasitic. Would something like Revolt but for opponents still make sense? I do like how the three(four?) mechanics work together well and am interested to see how the set turns out.

NUMBERS

zdtsd wrote:
4 years ago
Most of this is pretty good, but Blackmail seems a bit narrow and parasitic. Would something like Revolt but for opponents still make sense? I do like how the three(four?) mechanics work together well and am interested to see how the set turns out.
I suspect, on further introspection along this line of feedback, that this is probably the correct expansion of the mechanic.

I need to go through and make some updates after having taken some time off from this project.

M00NSIDIAN
Pronoun: they / them

Post by M00NSIDIAN » 4 years ago

This is some pretty interesting stuff you're hashing out here. Some of these designs are clever, but I think they need to be re-templated occasionally (not counting things like changing the burn spells to "~ deals" etc., or noting that you pay the ravenous cost of a spell, not a card, for Ravenous Growth) possibly? The land is one I find really cool (though some people will go "wait what" at how it works) but might be subject to this. I'm pretty sure it's fine as is and I'm thinking of the Lake of the Dead templating, which is unnecessary. But I think Favored Protector's blackmail ability needs to read "You may cast ~ as though it had flash [...]" and not what it currently says, otherwise it might not work as you intend it to. Obalt Inspector doesn't need the reminder text because it doesn't investigate in its current form.

I like how you're running all of these permanent-saccing effects in a set with investigate because, while clues are useful, they can feel kind of underwhelming without something else to do with them. You mean my spells are more expensive for a thing I can just pay 2 to draw with once? Meh. Good idea to use them to fuel other things, it adds some flexibility.

Exploit Existence seems really good as an indestructible-piercing Vindicate effect which you can easily play for its ravenous cost with just Call the Irregulars and lose neither lands nor creatures on turn 2. Might need some adjustment.

Other than that... I don't know what else to say except that it's cool and I like any setting that uses the viashino. They're good lizard-people.

Legend
Aethernaut
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Legend » 4 years ago

I especially like Ravenous. imo it would fit best in Jund. It's likely that Wizards would limit the sacrifice it to nonland permanents because new players would wind up mana screwing themselves, resulting in unfun play and a reduced chance that they'll keep playing. Emerge serves as a good prototype for potential reminder text.

Ravenous brg (You may cast this spell by paying its ravenous cost and sacrificing a nonland permanent.)
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

NUMBERS

[mention]Legend[/mention] I think that's a really good fix!

[mention]M00NSIDIAN[/mention] those are some very good points and catches. I definitely need to find the time to make changes throughout this document, but have been somewhat overwhelmed by other commitments. Hopefully soon I'll have some updates...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Set Creation”