Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Lord of Purgation 6
Creature - Eldrazi Vampire (M)
Mutate 3BB
Flying, lifelink
Whenever this creature mutates, choose target card in a graveyard that's one or more colors. Search its owner's hand, graveyard, and/or library for any number of nonland cards with the same converted mana cost as that card and exile them. That player shuffles their library.
5/5

IIW: Monstrosity
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 3 years ago

Judging tomorrow afternoon, looking forward to seeing more entries.

kwanyeegor-ii
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 3 years ago

Seeker of the Strange U
Creature--Human Wizard (Uncommon)
Whenever a creature you control mutates, investigate.
As long as you control three or more mutated creatures and/or Clues, Seeker of the Strange is a Human Insect with flying and base power and toughness equal to the number of mutated creatures and Clues you control
1/1

iiw yetis
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

TacticalCelebrant

Post by TacticalCelebrant » 3 years ago

Vivigrafter's Opus 1bb
Creature - Zombie (R)
Menace
Other creatures you control that share a type with Vivigrafter's Opus get +1/+1 and have menace
Mutate 2bb
2/2

IIW: Subtype: Elder

chetoos

Welcome to Ludevic's gallery of mutations, the finest display of all kinds of horrific terrors you'll find anywhere on Innistrad! Today in our displays, we have several recent... developments to show for you all!
Spacemonaut
Show
Hide
spacemonaut wrote:
3 years ago
Luckily all the monsters that go bump in the night don't have the Human type, and werewolves I would be mutateable while on their back face if they keep up the DFC theme for them.

Emrakul's bloodshed has left a lot of twisted and/or restless spirits on the plane and her lingering presence in the moon is making things weirder (not Eldrazi-er) at night. I think we'll see a world in which mutation would be thematically about monstrous spirits connecting with the already-monstrous creatures of the night and possessing or empowering them to be bigger and meaner.

Howler of Ulvenwald 2G
Creature — Wolf Spirit (U)
Mutate 3GG (If you cast this spell for its mutate cost, put it over or under target non-Human creature you own. They mutate into the creature on top plus all abilities from under it.)
This creature gets +1/+1 for each other Wolf or Werewolf you control.
Whenever this creature mutates, create two 2/2 green Wolf creature tokens with vigilance.
2/2

IIW: A tokenlink ability, like squirrellink
Firstly, you know I don't work in wolves too often, they're already deadly enough, but this one seems intriguing. I like the lineage here, you can tell it was raised by the howlpacks. Wolves don't normally have vigilance, though, so that does seem odd, especially on an already powerful spirit here.
Chetoos' review
Show
Hide
I like this one, a good evolution of mutation, as well as a nice call back to Raised by Wolves. As I mentioned, the vigilance on the tokens seems odd, but other than that, it's very nice.
lord asbord schutta
Show
Hide
Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
3 years ago
Ludevic's Parasite
Creature - Insect (R)
Mutate
At the beginning of your upkeep, put X cards from the top of your library into your graveyard, where X is this creature's power.
Whenever this creature mutates, target opponent gain control of it.
After Eldrazis' outbreak, Ludevic - being a genius he was - designed monsters to keep monsters in check.
1/2

IIW: A card that mentions bottom of library.
This display is quite grotesque, but I unfortunately do have to take my name off of it, this was the work of an underling. Everyone knows the best mad scientists don't care about keeping their monsters in check, if anything, they want to go more mad. With all the power you can get from discarded spells on Innistrad, it's a wonder you'd ever want to give a source of insanity like this up!
Chetoos' review
Show
Hide
usually in Innistrad sets, you want to mill yourself, they're all graveyard decks. So either you're milling your OP for 1 each turn, or you're giving them a really big creature and trying to mill them out faster. Not gonna work, especially with the power you're giving them in the form of the self mill.
void_nothing
Show
Hide
void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Lord of Purgation 6
Creature - Eldrazi Vampire (M)
Mutate 3BB
Flying, lifelink
Whenever this creature mutates, choose target card in a graveyard that's one or more colors. Search its owner's hand, graveyard, and/or library for any number of nonland cards with the same converted mana cost as that card and exile them. That player shuffles their library.
5/5

IIW: Monstrosity
This one was actually a development from the strange tentacle episode we had a while back. I managed to isolate some of that tissue and graft it onto a vampire. Unfortunately, this one is almost too good at drinking your life away, able to take too much with a single bite. Maybe if it was only able to drink from the vein it bit. I'll have to revisit it.
Chetoos' review
Show
Hide
This one is too good of an extraction effect. Hitting any number of cards with the same CMC is way too good, you'd hit half their spells that way. I know it costs a fair bit to do that, but it's still way too good for that rate, especially with the two keywords.
kwanyeegor-11
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
3 years ago
Seeker of the Strange U
Creature--Human Wizard (Uncommon)
Whenever a creature you control mutates, investigate.
As long as you control three or more mutated creatures and/or Clues, Seeker of the Strange is a Human Insect with flying and base power and toughness equal to the number of mutated creatures and Clues you control
1/1

iiw yetis
What, Igor, how did you get in the tank? Erm, anyway, Igor here is my assistant, and actually the one responsible for that flipflopping insect we saw earlier. He's always seeking out new things for me to mutate with, but watch out, he's spent enough time around the chemicals that he's delved a few secrets of his own.
Chetoos' review
Show
Hide
Mutate on Innistrad would already leave little complexity for other mechanics, and I honestly think that Investigate would be too much, even there, since you also expect DFC on Innistrad. I like the idea, but I don't think that the two mechanics work together well, especially since this card would work better with an upkeep trigger for transformation.
tactical celebrant
Show
Hide
TacticalCelebrant wrote:
3 years ago
Vivigrafter's Opus 1bb
Creature - Zombie (R)
Menace
Other creatures you control that share a type with Vivigrafter's Opus get +1/+1 and have menace
Mutate 2bb
2/2

IIW: Subtype: Elder
And here we have my opus, the perfect form of creation between life and death. The graft can be applied to any monster on Innistrad, and will enhance all of those nearby, but making sure to keep them safe for your use. In fact, those pitiful town defenders will find it much harder to defend against your ravenous hordes or lurching monstrosities if you use this beasty. Shall we start the bidding at 20 souls?
Chetoos' review
Show
Hide
This is sick mutate tech, a shifting lord with a relevant combat keyword, fairly costed, and powerful. I really like this one.
Honorable Mention: spacemonaut for the nice callback to raised by wolves
Winner: Tatical Celebrant

Next: Subtype Elder

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Iarema, Crusade Eternal
Legendary Creature - Elder Knight (M)
Vigilance, First Strike
When Iarema, Crusade Eternal enters the battlefield, each player creates seven 1/1 white Soldier creatures tokens.
Soldier creatures have lifelink.
Other Knight creatures have vigilance and first strike.
When Iarema attacks, all creatures you control must attack if able and all creatures the opponent Iarema is attacking controls must block if able.
7/7

IIW; Coloring
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

chetoos

The First Dead BBBB
Legendary Creature - Elder Zombie (MR)
Deathtouch, Menace
Whenever The First Dead deals combat damage to an opponent, that player puts that many cards from the top of their library into their graveyard.
Whenever a creature card is put into an opponent's graveyard from anywhere, you may pay B. If you do, create a tapped 2/2 black zombie creature token.
BBB, T: Draw X cards and lose X life, where X is the number of zombies you control.
5/5

I know that Innistrad zombies are in UB, but the U zombies are created in a lab, and this guy is just a risen zombie.

Next: A planeswalker that uses a counter in addition to loyalty counters.
Last edited by chetoos 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 3 years ago

Adon, the Last Source 3WB
(art: a super old, white haired vampire, yet still standing upright, spry, and dignified. He's holding a bloodied sword.)
Legendary Creature — Elder Vampire (MR)
Lifelink, deathtouch
At the beginning of your end step, return up to one target creature card with converted mana cost X or less from a graveyard to the battlefield under your control, where X is the amount of life you gained this turn. It's a black Vampire in addition to its other colours and types.
"Be blessed with new life among the Legion of Dusk."
4/4

(I'm thinking his blood is what they use to create new vampires, just because it would be interesting to see the legion have such a vulnerability.)

IIW: A tokenlink ability, like squirrellink

kwanyeegor-ii

Uthakan, Primal Baloth 4RGW
Legendary Creature--Elder Beast (Mythic)
Lifelink
When Uthakan enters the battlefield, create two 3/3 green Beast creature tokens.
Beasts you control have "T: Put a +1/+1 counter on this creature, then this creature fights target creature."
4/4

iiw new planeswalkers
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Kurtaljyu, Planar Canopy 3GGWW
Legendary Creature - Elder Treefolk (M)
Each other creature you control has protection from converted mana cost less than its toughness.
Whenever a creature you control becomes tapped, if it isn't attacking, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control other than that creature.
1GW, T: Destroy target noncreature permanent.
He stretches his branches out, and all that they cover finds serenity.
4/12

IIW: Number changing and/or numbers matter
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

TacticalCelebrant

Welcome to antiques roadshow here in the Blind Eternities. Let's see what we've got today, shall we?

This is a lovely suit of armor. Quite ornate, and well maintained, and it's not hard to imagine why. Knights of this time would often have as many as seven squires attending to them, Keeping their armor and weapons polished and sharp. As I understand it, knights of this era would ride together into battle , or to compete in grand tournaments with their squires at their side. And from what I can tell, many suits of armor were made at this time, of varying degrees of quality, and sold to anyone who could afford them. So it would not be impossible for a jouster would find themselves riding against someone wearing similar if not identical armor. But as you can see by the maker's mark, here under the collar, it appears as though this suit was crafted by Lorn Asbord Schutta. Which leads me to believe it may have been worn by the famous knight Iarema. Quite a rare find and could easily be seen going at auction for 8 or 9 out of 10.

Elder Knight. Neat. It's got a lot going on. Maybe more than it needs? Has an effect that buffs soldiers. Has an effect that buffs knights. Both of these buffs can apply to your opponent's creatures as well, which is old kind of design that I don't really miss. I think I like the combat ability that forces attacking and blocking the most, but might streamline it such that you don't have to do so much to keep track of which creatures get which buff.

Ah, here we have a painting by the prolific artist Chetoos. In this piece, a departure from their previous style, we see depicted a scene from folklore of the first mortal death. A remarkable work that would see a shift in the artist's style and would later inspire works collectively known as Chetoos's Black Period. Being the first of these works, it is a very notable piece that would be highly sought after by collectors. However, you can see that some water damage has accumulated on the bottom portion of the painting, whuch may drive down the demand despite the critical acclaim. Before restoration, I would suspect this piece would go at auction for around a 6 out of 10. After restoration however, this could easily get an 8 or 9 out of 10.

I really like the concept of The First Dead. Huge flavor resonance. Big Elder vibes. Reminds me of Dark Souls. And you really dodged a bullet when you changed the Mana cost away from a previous version that had blue. I was going to dock you some points. I feel like Zombie, as an iconic creature type, is too heavily associated with black. While I can see how the abilities would lend themselves to needing blue. It's kinda like a Sidisi, Blood Tyrant that checks your opponent's graveyard. I like the feel of an Elder Zombie that dredges up more zombies by attacking. I feel like that may be cool enough that it doesn't need the card drawing ability. Anyway, I still think this card is pretty Nito.

Thank you for bringing this in for us today. As you can see it's a set of medical tools. But you may not know that these tools were specifically that of a Phlebotomist, or someone who collects blood. This was early on in the advancement of medical science, and doctors were beginning to extract blood from patients to examine it for various maladies. The manufacturer's label here, says that it was made by Spacemount industries, which would go on to be one of the largest medical manufacturers of the time. And, this particular toolbag came with the journals and notes from one Doctor Adon, who famously perfected the Adon blood transfusion technique. It would be considerd quite dangerous by today's standards, but at the time was revolutionary, and would save hundreds of lives. I could easily see this medical bag with the journals going for 9 out of 10 at auction.

Cool vampire with a lifegain / reanimation theme. Seems balanced. The art description is nice. The trope that sticks out to me the most when I think elder vampire is the one where there is an oldest vampire that is the sure of all others. This card mostly hits that mark. You mention the Dusk Legion, so maybe there's some extra lore there that I don't know. I haven't read much Ixilan stuff. Cool card either way.

And who's this cute little fella? This stuffed animal, as many of our viewers might be aware is known as an Uthky Beast. Named for Uthakan, the 26th president of Naya. Uthakan ran on a strong platform of growing and fighting that resonated with the population of Naya. It became fashionable to stitch together pelts into stuffed likenesses of Uthakan and call them Uthky Beasts. One popular manufacturer of these stuffed beasts was Kwanyeegor-ii. And judging by the hand-stitched crown, this particular model seems to be the special 10th anniversary edition Uthky Beast. Only 1000 of which were manufactured, these are highly sought after by collectors. And with this in such good condition, I wouldn't be surprised to see it going for 9, maybe 9.5 out of 10 at auction.

I love it. Big Beasty that makes your other beasts get bigger and fight. This feels like an icon of beasts. It may be a bit too powerful, but I don't think it pushes the too far these days. Having it be a 4/4 helps. I know that these days designers try to have 'lords' cards give their abilities only to other creatures rather than include themselves, but I think this one is fine as is. Feels elegant, which I like to see.

This heavy piece of lumber is a cabinet constructed in the Void_Nothing Lumber Camp. As you can see, each board was carefully cut and heavily lacquered, which is remarkable for a time when many lumberjacks would nail together a few rough hewn logs and call it a day. This piece may have been a special display cabinet for visiting dignitaries. There is a funny story, that on one particular trip, an ambassador of the Planar Canopy by the name of Kurtaljyu was visiting the lumber camp on official business to arrange for a trade agreement. He was given many expensive gifts by the leaders of the camp, and they were stored in an unremarkable cabinet in the guest room. As it happened, during a particularly violent storm, the cabinet in the guest room fell over, and all of the fragile gifts stored in it were smashed. Ever since then, the Void_Nothing Lumber Camp insisted on crafting sturdy, and well reinforced cabinets for their guest rooms. And as you can see on this model, the improved craftsmanship lasts. This piece would likely go for 7 out of 10 at auction.

It's a nice card, very Treefolky, and reasonably Eldery. I am inclined to believe that it may be too powerful. Giving each other creature protection from CMC less than it's toughness is a cool effect and fits into the theme of Treefolk having huge toughness, but in a lot of cases would make them unblockable and untargetable. It feels like it's too non-interactive. But since Kurtaliyu can still fall to removal itself, it's could be fine. But the tap ability to destroy non-creature permanents could end up being pretty oppressive. Just look at Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Well, maybe it's closer to Helldozer or Steelbane Hydra. Or maybe it's me being too wary of repeatable noncreature permanent destruction because I love having noncreature permanents. Anyway, solid Treefolk.

Good entries everyone.

HMs: chetoos and spacemount

Winner: Kwanyeegor-ii

Next: new planeswalkers

chetoos

Alistair Voldaren 2RB
Legendary Planeswalker - Alistair
+1 - Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player this turn, put a +1/+1 counter on that creature. That creature becomes a vampire in addition to its other types.
-2 - Alistair Voldaren deals X damage to target creature and you gain X life, where X is the number of vampires you control.
-6 - You get an emblem with "Creatures you control are vampires in addition to their other types and have "T: this creature deals 2 damage to any target, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.""

The current heir to the Voldaren family, Alistair's spark ignited when he was moments from death during Emrakul's invasion. He sees this as an opportunity to spread his glorious family's influence across the planes, a task that Sorin never seemed to be up to.

IIW: Make a card based on a character in a favorite book of yours.
Last edited by chetoos 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

kwanyeegor-ii

I hope to judge tomorrow if there are enough entries
畫龍點睛

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Artago, Reasoning Duelist
Legendary Planeswalker - Artago
+1: Scry 2, then reveal the top card of your library. Prevent the next X damage dealt to Artago, Reasoning Duelist until beginning of your next turn, where X is converted mana cost of the revealed card.
-2: Reveal the bottom card of your library. Return a creature opponent controls with toughness equal or lower then the revealed card's converted mana cost. Put the revealed card into your hand.
-6: You gain an emblem with "If a spell or ability refers to converted mana cost, you may have it refer to twice the converted mana cost instead (You make this decision as the spell or ability enters the stack.)"

IIW:Bloodrush

kwanyeegor-ii

I hope to get more than 2 entries although these are good so far. But I will judge in 24 hours from now, no matter what.
畫龍點睛

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Atmazal, Coatl Caller 2GU
Legendary Planeswalker - Atmazal (M)
+1: Create a 1/1 green and blue Snake creature token with flying. Then, if you control three or more Snakes, you may draw a card.
-3: You get an emblem with "Whenever you draw a card, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control."
-7: Exile all creatures your opponents control. For each creature exiled in this way, its controller creates a 1/1 green and blue Snake creature token with flying and you may draw a card.
{[4]}

IIW: Keyword tribal

kwanyeegor-ii

Chetoos: Really cool! Most tribal walkers have pretty limited use, or can only be tribal in 1 ability or so in order to be more playable in wide number of decks. However, this one gives your non vampire creatures the vampire type in order to use them better... really nice idea. The +1 is my favorite, it is clever how it uses the innistrad vampire ability in order to mark which of your creatures changed. The only thing is the whole card is kind of one note. It's damage and +1/+1 counters. But, that wins games

Lorn Asbord Schutta: Super creative card. However, there are couple of problems. +1 is nice design space interacting with defending the walker directly. -2, I think this is misworded. Return to where? I guess to owner's hand. Bottom card of library interacts really nicely with scry though. It's underused. -6 would be very cool as an enchantment, but tbh that card would cost like 2 mana. It is very weak and narrow for an ultimate. It requires multiple other specific cards to combo with it rather than being good on its own... sure you could Kaboom! with it or something but I wish it did a lot more...

void_nothing: Wow this one is nice. I guess this is Naya walker? Maybe some kind of intelectual of Naya lol. +1 is super strong, might be too good if there is any snake support in Standard. -3 is nice, similar to the Sorin that gives the +1/+0 emblem... I like the idea of getting multiple small emblems. Ultimate seems fun. Altogether pretty good but maybe has balance problems...

Winner @chetoos
Next IIW: Make a card based on a character in a favorite book of yours.
畫龍點睛

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

The Fifth Season:

Syenite of the Fulcrum 1RR
Legendary Creature — Human Artificer (R)
Haste
When Syenite of the Fulcrum enters the battlefield, you may discard up to two cards. If you do, draw that many cards.
T, Sacrifice a land: Syenite deals damage equal to the number of land cards in your graveyard to any target.
2/2

Also, bonus, 'cause I can't not, because reasons.

Schaffa the Guardian 1WBG
Legendary Creature — Human Assassin (R)
Menace
2W: Prevent all damage that would be dealt to Schaffa this turn. Whenever damage from a creature source is prevented this way, Schaffa deals that much damage to that creature.
1G, T: Schaffa fights target creature you don't control.
4/3

People of Syenite's abilities are distrusted in her world. Schaffa is a guardian figure for her, but not in a good, kind way.

(Syenite's class was difficult to pin down given the nuances of her abilities. It was this or Shaman, and while Shaman probably fits a bit better in Magic-ese, I think it gives off the wrong vibe. Artificer fits well and I thought that of the two, Syenite would pick that and find it funny.)

IIW: Pick a legend card you like. Age that character/place/thing. Show how that character/place/thing has grown or changed.
Last edited by spacemonaut 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

kwanyeegor-ii

My choice is Romance of the Three Kingdoms :D

Deng Zhi, Diplomatic General 2WW
Legendary Creature--Human Soldier (Rare)
Horsemanship
T: You may put a white creature card from your hand onto the battlefield. Each opponent draws a card. Activate this ability only during your turn, before attackers are declared.
2/3

IIW: Historic
畫龍點睛

TacticalCelebrant

Based on the web serial Twig.

Sylvester Lambsbridge 1UB
Legendary Creature - Human Mutant (R)
Put a -1/-1 counter on Sylvester Lambsbridge, t: Draw X cards, then discard X cards, where X is the number of -1/-1 counters on Sylvester Lambsbridge.
Sylvester Lambsbridge gets +1/+1 for each other Mutant you control.
1/3

IIW: Fair magic.

chetoos

Judging tomorrow morning, wanna wait for more entries.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

It's a good challenge! I'm interested in seeing more of people's character adaptations too.

chetoos

spacemonaut wrote:
3 years ago
It's a good challenge! I'm interested in seeing more of people's character adaptations too.
Lol, yup. This challenge was the first one that I won in this thread, I think, a few months ago, when you ran it. Did you ever read The Stars Now Unclaimed?

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

chetoos wrote:
3 years ago
spacemonaut wrote:
3 years ago
Lol, yup. This challenge was the first one that I won in this thread, I think, a few months ago, when you ran it. Did you ever read The Stars Now Unclaimed?
I'm still working my way there. Reading books is a challenge for me, but I'm finally getting myself connected with some treatment for what I'm pretty sure is ADHD. So then I'll get there. :D

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Magic-izing Ancalagon the Black...

Dakhnalix, Whose Form is Thunder 5RRR
Legendary Creature - Dragon (M)
Flying, menace
When Dakhnalix dies, sacrifice up to three Mountains. Dakhnalix deals 2 damage to each opponent and each creature and planeswalker your opponents control for each Mountain sacrificed in this way.
9/9

IIW: Class types matter

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”