NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Togs
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Togs » 2 years ago

Slogatog 1r
Creature - Atog (C)
Exile the top ten cards of your library: Slogatog gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
1/2
"On Mirrodin, a predator."

IIW: ___pox

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Heartclamp 2
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Equipped creature gets +2/-2.
Whenever equipped creature dies, you gain life equal to its power.
Equip 2
The soul is an exquisite work of art hidden in an ugly cage of flesh.

IIW: An alt-win that you could conceivably build a draft deck around
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

vishamon
Custom Card Connoisseur

Post by vishamon » 2 years ago

Vuel Konda of Jamuraa.png
Vuel Konda of Jamuraa
Legendary Creature - Human Warrior {R}
First strike
At the beginning of combat on your turn, target creature gains +1/+1 until end of turn.
Vuel and Gerrard flourished under their father's watchful eye. Both grew to be great leaders of men.
2/2

IIW: Artifact Creature -- Blinkmoth
Last edited by vishamon 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Eyy, it's Master of Arms! Many good times were had with Daggerfall Covenant Items.dek.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

Svogthir, Undercity Archlich
2bbgg
Legendary Creature - Zombie Elf Wizard (M)
If damage would be dealt to Svogthir, Undercity Archlich, sacrifice that many permanents instead.
Each creature card in your graveyard has dredge X, where X is its mana value.
You can't lose the game by drawing from an empty library.
4/6

IIW: Interesting vanilla creature (i.e. no abilities)
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

TacticalCelebrant

Post by TacticalCelebrant » 2 years ago

So I'm basing this on the thing that Bolas used to lure planeswalkers in to Ravnica for the war of the spark. An interplanar beacon, tweaked to gain power from attention. Now grown out of control with infinite attention.

Epicenter Attention 2wubrg
Legendary Enchantment
Players play with the top card of their library revealed.
Players may cast spells from the top of their opponent's library.
You may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast spells this way.

IIW: Card name includes your favorite word.

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 2 years ago

I will judge tonight! Get your entries in.
MEG

vishamon
Custom Card Connoisseur

void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
Eyy, it's Master of Arms! Many good times were had with Daggerfall Covenant Items.dek.
What can I say, Jamuraan humans have a lot of the same design cues as Redguard

Togs

Post by Togs » 2 years ago

Clampatog 1r
Creature - Atog (C)
Sacrifice another creature: Clampatog gets +1/-1 until end of turn.
When Clampatog dies, draw two cards.
1/2
"In a black hole, not much of a predator."

IIW: ___ of Tarkir

Megiddo
MEG

As I think most of you figured out, the challenge was a reference to a quote from this article about the banning of Skullclamp. If you haven't seen this article, it's worth a read in the context of 2019-2020 Magic. By the way, if you don't end up reading it, Card2 is Arc-Slogger. What were we looking for from the entries? Who knows, it's pretty open-ended. We'll see what fun people got up to, though.
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Bloodgift Cultist
Creature - Human Cleric
If an opponent would draw a card during an upkeep step, that player loses 2 life.
2, Sacrifice Bloodgift Cultist: Search your library and/or graveyard for a card named Bloodgift Demon, reveal it and put it into your hand. If you searched your library this way, shuffle.
1/1

Ailheen, Inquisitor of Llanowar WG
Legendary Creature - Elf Advisor
At the end of each turn, if you gained life, create a 1/1 Green Elf warrior creature token.
Tap three untapped nonblack creatures you control: Exile target black creature.
"Cast out the abominable heathens, crush the darkness of their being."
2/2

IIW: Cards that would fit in Time Spiral Block
Ok, off to a fun start. I like Cultist. It's cute as both a tutor for a specific card (Bloodgift Demon in case somebody needs a card link) and an enabler in multiples. Personally I might enjoy this design more on a legendary creature, as there is incentive to NOT sacrifice your tutor guy to get a second copy of the payoff card. Commander. (Imagine I elaborated at length about the applications of this card in the singleton format where your main legendary creature starts the game somewhere other than your deck.)

Ailheen is a good reference. The colors/abilities here are very on the nose (not to mention the flavor text) but they definitely sell the story. You may want to take a cue from Hand of Justice and add a T to that ability.
wonderful wrote:
2 years ago
Gull, the Liberator
Legendary Creature - Human Warrior (R)
Creatures your opponents control attack each turn if able.
At the end of combat, choose an opponent. If that player attacked with one or more creatures this turn, and did not attack you or a planeswalker you control, you may have Gull, the Liberator fight target creature that player controls.
3/3

Archdruid Greensleeves
Legendary Creature - Human Druid (M)
Whenever another creature you control dies, put a number of +1/+1 counters on Archdruid Greensleeves equal to that creature's power.
, : Choose target creature you control. When that creature dies this turn, return a creature card with power less than or equal to Archdruid Greensleeves' power from your graveyard to the battlefield.
1/1

iiw: water themed spells
Gull is interesting. It forces your opponent's creatures to attack, and punishes them if they DON'T attack you. I think that's unique, and I like it. (Correct me if I am wrong!) I'm not going to do this right now, but this card makes me want to pull up a Scryfall search to look for cards to put into an EDH deck built around it.

Greensleeves (and Gull!) are some deep lore characters from old continuity. Cool reference, and I will not pretend I didn't have to look it up first. I'm actually not super read on the stuff pre-Onslaught era! Anyway, this card reads as very strong to me. It will grow very big and the recursion effect is cheap and strong. The synergy with Gull is nice as well, provided you can manage the three colors required.
Togs wrote:
2 years ago
Slogatog 1r
Creature - Atog (C)
Exile the top ten cards of your library: Slogatog gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
1/2
"On Mirrodin, a predator."

IIW: ___pox
Man of taste, etc.
I wonder how good this card is. It's a two-drop 1/2, but it can hit for up to 11 damage with zero further mana investment if it connects. T1 Land Goblin Guide, T2 Land Slogatog, T3 they are probably dead with 1 card left in your deck.

I love it.
void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
Heartclamp 2
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Equipped creature gets +2/-2.
Whenever equipped creature dies, you gain life equal to its power.
Equip 2
The soul is an exquisite work of art hidden in an ugly cage of flesh.

IIW: An alt-win that you could conceivably build a draft deck around
Into it. Cute. Not a lot more to say.
vishamon wrote:
2 years ago
Vuel Konda of Jamuraa.png

Vuel Konda of Jamuraa
Legendary Creature - Human Warrior {R}
First strike
At the beginning of combat on your turn, target creature gains +1/+1 until end of turn.
Vuel and Gerrard flourished under their father's watchful eye. Both grew to be great leaders of men.
2/2

Vuel! Also known as Volrath the Fallen! I hope we get this card, actually. It would be nice. Something to point out (thanks to Void)... Master of Arms is meant to represent Gerrard. :)
Card seems alright. Attack for 3 or boost another attacker by a little bit. I think you can get slightly more for your mana these days but I appreciate the card. Could get a rarity downgrade maybe? Anyway, I'll spare you my "Boros two drops" rant since it doesn't apply in this context, but you can imagine it if you like.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
Svogthir, Undercity Archlich
2bbgg
Legendary Creature - Zombie Elf Wizard (M)
If damage would be dealt to Svogthir, Undercity Archlich, sacrifice that many permanents instead.
Each creature card in your graveyard has dredge X, where X is its mana value.
You can't lose the game by drawing from an empty library.
4/6

IIW: Interesting vanilla creature (i.e. no abilities)
The man behind the Tomb, as it were. I like this. It's fun. Absurdly busted, for sure, but fun. I like the last ability a lot! Putting all of the pieces together raises a very simple question for me: Can you Dredge 0 with an empty library?
TacticalCelebrant wrote:
2 years ago
So I'm basing this on the thing that Bolas used to lure planeswalkers in to Ravnica for the war of the spark. An interplanar beacon, tweaked to gain power from attention. Now grown out of control with infinite attention.

Epicenter Attention 2wubrg
Legendary Enchantment
Players play with the top card of their library revealed.
Players may cast spells from the top of their opponent's library.
You may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast spells this way.

IIW: Card name includes your favorite word.
This would be the Interplanar Beacon, right?
It's Shared Fate for the modern age. As it already requires you to have all five colors to cast the spell, I wonder if the last clause is necessary, though did you intend for that ability to be symmetrical too?

I think the choice to exclude lands is interesting. My initial gut reaction was that it was smart. My second reaction was that it would lead to feel-bads where you cast a cool spell from your opponent's deck and then leave them with a land on top as their card to draw for the turn. They'll still have YOUR deck, but I am assuming you may have some top-of-library control to deny them good spells. Would be worth testing out.
Togs wrote:
2 years ago
Clampatog 1r
Creature - Atog (C)
Sacrifice another creature: Clampatog gets +1/-1 until end of turn.
When Clampatog dies, draw two cards.
1/2
"In a black hole, not much of a predator."

IIW: ___ of Tarkir
At it again, I see...

Winner: wonderful
Next: Water-themed spells
MEG

dangerousdice

Post by dangerousdice » 2 years ago

leviathans of Tarkir
"from the depths they rose"
"and under their furious blows"
"the mountains crumbled, full of ancient woes"
"thus was the rise of the kei-vakose"

Yormkifar, the tidetwister
legendary creature - elder leviathan
islandwalk
whenever one or more islands you control leave the battlefield, scry 2.
return 3 islands you control to their owner's hand: Put target non-land permanent on top of its owner's library. that player shuffles his library.
5/5

I personally like the idea that the next tarkir block will be monocolor. ;) (ALSO. this is a "WATER SPELL" as dictated by the current challenge.)
iiw: hobo magic
Last edited by dangerousdice 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Megiddo
MEG

Yanling's Thousand-Year Flood 4UU
Legendary Sorcery {M}
(You may cast a legendary sorcery only if you control a legendary creature or planeswalker.)
Exile all permanents. For each of those cards, as long as that card remains exiled, its owner may play it.

IIW: more Burrog
MEG

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

Icy Impalement 1UU
Snow Instant (U)
Icy Impalement deals damage to target creature equal to the number of snow lands you control.

Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Post by avatarz » 2 years ago

Uncessant Drip 3U
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of each upkeep, combat and end step, each player mills a card.
1U: Each player mills a card.
Renno spent his final days curled up in a corner of his decaying room. They say he gouged out his eyes, when he finally heard them crying.

IIW: Little horror story

vishamon
Custom Card Connoisseur

Relentless Tide 3uu
Instant {R}
Split Second
Return all creatures to their owner's hands.
Last edited by vishamon 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 2 years ago

Torrent of Ideas 4UU
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a player casts a spell, they draw three cards, then discard three cards.

IIW: Baby's first swamp
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Megiddo
MEG

Aqua Shot 3U
Artifact — Equipment {R}
Equipped creature gets +1/+1 and has hexproof from red.
If a red source would deal damage to you while Aqua Shot isn't attached to a permanent, prevent 1 of that damage.
Equip 2

(this is a really stupid reference, so to aid in judging, imagine the art is depicting an Izzet fireman suit.)

IIW: green thumb
MEG

wonderful
Pronoun: she / her

Post by wonderful » 2 years ago

dangerousdice wrote:
2 years ago
Yormkifar, the tidetwister
legendary creature - elder leviathan
islandwalk
whenever one or more islands you control leave the battlefield, scry 2.
return 3 islands you control to their owner's hand: Put target non-land permanent on top of its owner's library. that player shuffles his library.
5/5
I like the idea, and do appreciate the short poem to go with it. I think it could stand to be a bit bigger of a body for that price (6/6?), and clean up the wording a little ("Shuffle target nonland permanent into its owner's library."). A mono-theme focus Tarkir would make for an interesting story.
Megiddo wrote:
2 years ago
Yanling's Thousand-Year Flood 4UU
Legendary Sorcery {M}
(You may cast a legendary sorcery only if you control a legendary creature or planeswalker.)
Exile all permanents. For each of those cards, as long as that card remains exiled, its owner may play it.

IIW: more Burrog
This intrigues me. A very unique ability, one not explored much, and thrown onto upheaval. I think nowadays this could be printable if it said nonland, and it'd make for fun card.
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Icy Impalement 1UU
Snow Instant (U)
Icy Impalement deals damage to target creature equal to the number of snow lands you control.

While I like the flavor, I wish this was more interesting than a downgraded colorshift.
2 years ago
Uncessant Drip 3U
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of each upkeep, combat and end step, each player mills a card.
1U: Each player mills a card.
Renno spent his final days curled up in a corner of his decaying room. They say he gouged out his eyes, when he finally heard them crying.

IIW: Little horror story
Too many triggers :woozy: I get that's the flavor, but this would be so annoying to play irl. Imagining sitting in a commander game: "Wait, did you go to combat? Mill one." someone untaps and draws immediately, you gotta stick your head across the table: "Wait! You have to mill that card!" Every end step someone saying "go" and you giving it a second then saying "did you mill one?"
Basically, people would hate you within about two turn cycles.
vishamon wrote:
2 years ago
Relentless Tide 3uu
Instant {R}
Split Second
Return all creatures to their owner's hands.
Split second!! Nothing crazy here. Seems like a very printable card.
Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
Torrent of Ideas 4UU
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a player casts a spell, they draw three cards, then discard three cards.

IIW: Baby's first swamp
I think the flavor of a torrent fits perfectly here. Cool ability. Part of me wishes this was like, draw three discard two, so it could chain itself off empty hands for both players. But I do see the merits in this version as well.
Megiddo wrote:
2 years ago
Aqua Shot 3U
Artifact — Equipment {R}
Equipped creature gets +1/+1 and has hexproof from red.
If a red source would deal damage to you while Aqua Shot isn't attached to a permanent, prevent 1 of that damage.
Equip 2

(this is a really stupid reference, so to aid in judging, imagine the art is depicting an Izzet fireman suit.)

IIW: green thumb
The art depiction makes me like this card more, but still obviously very clunky and strange. I give it an E for Effort.

Gonna hand this one to dangerousdice for the fun mix of abilities, poetry, and having a good iiw.
HM to Cythare for the card that gets me thinking and has great water-theme flavor.

Winner: dangerousdice
Next challenge: hobo magic

dangerousdice

Post by dangerousdice » 2 years ago

a quick clarification before people ask, hobo magic is manaless magic. (a more elaborate explanation here: https://dwhytegaming.wordpress.com/2017 ... obo-magic/.)

vishamon
Custom Card Connoisseur

Brilliant Afterthought.png
Brilliant Afterthought
Instant
Draw three cards.
Flashback (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

Trick Question 1UU
Instant - Trap Lesson (U)
If an opponent draws two or more cards this turn, you may pay 0 rather than this spells mana cost.
Counter target spell. It's controller learns.

Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

Pit Harpy
3bb
Creature - Harpy (U)
Flying
When Pit Harpy enters the battlefield, create two 1/1 black Harpy creature tokens with flying.
Evoke 2b
Unearth 2bb
2/1

Edit: Are we allowed to resubmit our entries from previous rounds, or does it go against the spirit of Nexus Flamingo?
Like my previous entry from this round:
http://nxs.wf/np126318

Nexacles, Titan of Night's Despair
1ub
Legendary Creature - Elder Giant {M}
When Nexacles enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless it escaped.
Whenever Nexacles enters the battlefield or attacks, you draw two cards, then you discard a card and lose 2 life.
Escape uubb, Exile five other cards from your graveyard. (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its escape cost.)
6/6

IIW: Interesting vanilla creatures (i.e. no abilities)
Last edited by Sporegorger_Dragon 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 2 years ago

Icemirror Entity 2(up)(up)
Snow Creature - Phyrexian Shapeshifter
Icemirror Entity costs 2 less to cast if you control three or more snow lands.
You may have Icemirror Entity enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield, except it's snow in addition to its other types.
"Pray the frozen lake is clear. This close to Phyrexian territory, your reflection might think to drag you in."
—Ashiok

0/0

Wavebreaker Shinobi 3U
Creature - Merfolk Ninja
Ninjutsu 1UU
Elemental creatures you control get +1/+1.
When Wavebreaker Shinobi enters the battlefield, create a 1/0 blue Elemental creature token. Elementals you control can't be blocked this turn.
1/2

IIW: White and/or Black elementals

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 2 years ago

Tinkerer's Regret {WP}{WP}{WP}{WP}
Artifact Creature - Angel (R)
You may spend as if it were when paying for Tinkerer's Regret's mana cost.
Flying
Tinkerer's Regret enters the battlefield with a lifelink counter if was spent to cast it.
"What could go wrong?" - Rark Mosewater, goblin artificer
3/3

IIW: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms (or other D&D settings!)

KoolKoal
For Posterity

Post by KoolKoal » 2 years ago

Channeling Chasm
Land (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may add or remove a charge counter from Channeling Chasm.
T: Add .
: You may put a creature card with mana value equal to the number of charge counters on Channeling Chasm from your hand onto the battlefield, then sacrifice that creature.

IIW: Goblin PC

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”