NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

Chaotic Polymorph was supposed to be dumb, remember, people are allowed so sacrifice whatever they want to it (that isn't a land), so they can chose to sacrifice a treasure token if they want, and they do get at least a 1/1 in return. (also, on a not entirely unrelated note, we really need a :shrug: emoji/emoticon.)

Anyway, onwards to the next challenge.

Mosswillow Troll 3GG
Creature - Troll (R)
Trample, haste
Revitalize: 6GG (You may cast this card from your graveyard by paying its revitalize cost.)
6/3

Restless Warrior 1B
Creature - Skeleton Warrior (C)
Revitalize: 4B (You may cast this card from your graveyard by paying its revitalize cost.)
2/1
About the Revitalize mechanic
Show
Hide
Above is a basic common and a more spicy rare. The mechanic was concepted as a "bounce back" mechanic in an environment heavy on removal. Theoretically it could easily be put on any kind of spell, although it would quickly get broken by being used on counter spells and bounce spells. As a base line, the revitalize cost is about three generic mana higher than the mana value of the card, but it could easily be higher or lower depending on the card it is on. You pay the revitalize cost in place of the spells regular cost when activating the ability, and normal timing rules apply. The spell is cast, and can be countered as normal, so it is not a way to dodge counterspells. Sorry. Also, since normal timing rules apply, the spell needs to either have flash or be an instant for you to cast it outside of your main phases.

I want to be entirely honest about this. I primarily created the ability for the Commander format, because it is where it would do the most good and said format can handle it.
IIW: Disney Animated Canon (That means no Pixar).
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Phyrexian Editor

Post by Phyrexian Editor » 2 years ago

Artigraph Machine 5
Artifact {R}
t: Exile a card from a graveyard. You may play a copy of that card.
The great leveler isn't charity or revenge. It's reverse engineering.

IIW: More Sarpadian Empires flavor text.

Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

Lily of Paradise 1G
Creature - Plant (U)
Defender
T: Add one mana of any color.
Last Gasp — Tap an untapped green creature you control (You may pay the last gasp cost and exile this card from your graveyard to activate one of its abilities.)
0/1

Earthspasm Hellion 3RR
Creature - Hellion (R)
Earthspasm Hellion can't be blocked by creatures with flying.
XRR, T: Earthspasm Hellion deals X damage to each other creature without flying.
Last Gasp — XRR, Exile X land cards from your graveyard
Many a bold gladiator has found their triumph short lived as the beast began its death throes.
4/4

IIW: Search for the truth

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 2 years ago

Hardened Cloak 2G
Enchantment — Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 and has trample and vigilance.
Reenchant5G: Create a 2/2 green Wolf creature token, then return Hardened Cloak from your graveyard to the battlefield attached to it. Activate only as a sorcerery.

IIW: Alter-egos from another multiverse/timeline
Last edited by spacemonaut 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

stille_nacht

Post by stille_nacht » 2 years ago

Eager Student 2UR
Creature - Human Wizard (U)

Legacy 2 (When this creature enters the battlefield, exile up to two cards that share a creature type with it from your graveyard. This creature gains their activated abilities.)

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Newton
1/1

IIW: Daily life in a fantasy world
Last edited by stille_nacht 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Necrotic Chrysalis 2GB
Creature — Egg (R)
Defender
When Necrotic Chrysalis enters the battlefield, exile target non-Egg creature card from your graveyard.
When Necrotic Chrysalis dies, put the exiled card onto the battlefield under your control tapped. It's a black Zombie in addition to its other types.
0/2

Last edited by spacemonaut 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

I just had another idea, and I want it to stand on it's own, so...

Spiritbound Wolf 2G
Creature - Wolf Spirit (U)
Possess 4G (If this is in your graveyard, you may pay 4G to return it to the battlefield as an Aura Enchantment with enchant creature and attach it to target creature. If it leaves the battlefield as an aura, exile it. Possess only as a sorcery.)
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2.
Spiritbound Wolf and enchanted creature deals combat damage as though they weren't blocked.
2/2

It's a sort of reversed bestow mechanic.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 2 years ago

Oathbound Inquisitor 1WB
Creature — Dwarf Cleric (U)
Vigilance
Stitch WB (As you cast a creature spell, if this card is in your graveyard, you may pay its stitch cost. If you do, exile this card and that creature enters the battlefield with a number of additional +1/+1 counters on it equal to this card's power.)
When you stitch Oathbound Inquisitor, the stitched creature enters the battlefield with a vigilance counter on it.
2/2

IIW: Universes Beyond: Gordon Ramsey's Cooking Shows
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

Venomous Gravefang 2B
Creature - Snake (U)
Deathtouch
Death Rattle 2 (When Gravefang dies, it deals 2 damage to target creature or planeswalker)
1/3

IIW: Tempo Cards
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

vishamon
Custom Card Connoisseur

Post by vishamon » 2 years ago

judgement
Show
Hide
I'll be looking at the mechanic itself, as well as the card(s) you submitted as part of the judgement.
mellifluoresce wrote:
2 years ago
Orchard Kraonar
Creature - Beast (C)
Tilling (, Exile this card from your graveyard: Choose a basic land type. Create a basic land token of the chosen type.)
4/4

IIW: it's coming home
This is potentially a very powerful ramp mechanic. I'm not sure how often keyworded abilities appear in only one color, and I don't think this belongs in any color other than green. If this is supposed to be an AFR style card where it's a flavor keyword for a one-off ability, I like the card. It's way overpriced for a green 4/4 with no other abilities while on the battlefield, but after it dies it ramps and fixes colors, so that's pretty strong. I feel like I'd usually rather be discarding this than casting it anyway.
Pygyzy wrote:
2 years ago
Touch from Beyond 2B
Instant (C)
Touch from Beyond deals 1 damage to any target and you gain 1 life.
Sculpt (As you cast this spell, you may add the effect of cards in your graveyard with sculpt to this spell by paying their mana cost.)

Iiw: new silver border mechanics
Sort of like Splice onto Arcane, but way more powerful. I'd be worried about what cards this gets printed on at higher rarities, could definitely have format-warping potential.
Krishnath wrote:
2 years ago
Mosswillow Troll 3GG
Creature - Troll (R)
Trample, haste
Revitalize: 6GG (You may cast this card from your graveyard by paying its revitalize cost.)
6/3

Restless Warrior 1B
Creature - Skeleton Warrior (C)
Revitalize: 4B (You may cast this card from your graveyard by paying its revitalize cost.)
2/1
About the Revitalize mechanic
Show
Hide
Above is a basic common and a more spicy rare. The mechanic was concepted as a "bounce back" mechanic in an environment heavy on removal. Theoretically it could easily be put on any kind of spell, although it would quickly get broken by being used on counter spells and bounce spells. As a base line, the revitalize cost is about three generic mana higher than the mana value of the card, but it could easily be higher or lower depending on the card it is on. You pay the revitalize cost in place of the spells regular cost when activating the ability, and normal timing rules apply. The spell is cast, and can be countered as normal, so it is not a way to dodge counterspells. Sorry. Also, since normal timing rules apply, the spell needs to either have flash or be an instant for you to cast it outside of your main phases.

I want to be entirely honest about this. I primarily created the ability for the Commander format, because it is where it would do the most good and said format can handle it.
Revitalize could definitely be a format-defining mechanic in a standard-legal set. I think you're right to only have put it on creatures - the fact that it doesn't require expending cards to fuel the recursion (like retrace or delve) could be very overbearing.
Phyrexian Editor wrote:
2 years ago
Artigraph Machine 5
Artifact {R}
t: Exile a card from a graveyard. You may play a copy of that card.
The great leveler isn't charity or revenge. It's reverse engineering.

IIW: More Sarpadian Empires flavor text.
This is wildly abusable. Not having to pay any mana for the activated ability is pretty nuts.
Ink-Treader wrote:
2 years ago
Lily of Paradise 1G
Creature - Plant (U)
Defender
T: Add one mana of any color.
Last Gasp — Tap an untapped green creature you control (You may pay the last gasp cost and exile this card from your graveyard to activate one of its abilities.)
0/1

Earthspasm Hellion 3RR
Creature - Hellion (R)
Earthspasm Hellion can't be blocked by creatures with flying.
XRR, T: Earthspasm Hellion deals X damage to each other creature without flying.
Last Gasp — XRR, Exile X land cards from your graveyard
Many a bold gladiator has found their triumph short lived as the beast began its death throes.
4/4

IIW: Search for the truth
I really enjoy this mechanic from a flavor perspective as well as from a gameplay perspective - well done. The plant feels like it could be pushed a bit more, especially at uncommon.
spacemonaut wrote:
2 years ago
Hardened Cloak 2G
Enchantment — Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 and has trample and vigilance.
Reenchant5G: Create a 2/2 green Wolf creature token, then return Hardened Cloak from your graveyard to the battlefield attached to it. Activate only as a sorcerery.

As our fearless megiddo always says, "any way to make auras not suck is an admirable undertaking" (I might be paraphrasing a bit). Living weapon for auras is an idea we've toyed with in the past, and this takes the idea a step further, making it a recursion ability as well. -points for "sorcerery" though.
stille_nacht wrote:
2 years ago
Eager Student 2UR
Creature - Human Wizard (U)

Legacy 2 (When this creature enters the battlefield, exile up to two cards that share a creature type with it from your graveyard. This creature gains their activated abilities.)

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Newton
1/1

IIW: Daily life in a fantasy world
This is a fun mechanic. Could really find a place in tribal humans decks. I can also see how it would flavorfully fit in with a variety of settings and creature types. bravo
spacemonaut wrote:
2 years ago
Necrotic Chrysalis 2GB
Creature — Egg (R)
Defender
When Necrotic Chrysalis enters the battlefield, exile target non-Egg creature card from your graveyard.
When Necrotic Chrysalis dies, put the exiled card onto the battlefield under your control tapped. It's a black Zombie in addition to its other types.
0/2

Should be "other colors and types," Other than that, I like this design. "non-Egg creature" makes me giggle a little.
Krishnath wrote:
2 years ago
I just had another idea, and I want it to stand on it's own, so...

Spiritbound Wolf 2G
Creature - Wolf Spirit (U)
Possess 4G (If this is in your graveyard, you may pay 4G to return it to the battlefield as an Aura Enchantment with enchant creature and attach it to target creature. If it leaves the battlefield as an aura, exile it. Possess only as a sorcery.)
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2.
Spiritbound Wolf and enchanted creature deals combat damage as though they weren't blocked.
2/2

It's a sort of reversed bestow mechanic.

Sort of a cross between bestow and haunt. I like this mechanic conceptually, but (much like mutate) I'm not sure I'd actually like to play with it
Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
Oathbound Inquisitor 1WB
Creature — Dwarf Cleric (U)
Vigilance
Stitch WB (As you cast a creature spell, if this card is in your graveyard, you may pay its stitch cost. If you do, exile this card and that creature enters the battlefield with a number of additional +1/+1 counters on it equal to this card's power.)
When you stitch Oathbound Inquisitor, the stitched creature enters the battlefield with a vigilance counter on it.
2/2

IIW: Universes Beyond: Gordon Ramsey's Cooking Shows
I'm not sure I understand how this isn't just a more limited version of the scavenge mechanic. I'd be welcome to re-evaluate it if you explain to me some aspect that I'm overlooking.
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Venomous Gravefang 2B
Creature - Snake (U)
Deathtouch
Death Rattle 2 (When Gravefang dies, it deals 2 damage to target creature or planeswalker)
1/3

IIW: Tempo Cards
I think this is another mechanic that I have trouble seeing existing on more than a handful of cards. I guess if it's supposed to be that way, like some of the guild mechanics from Ravnica block, then that could be fun and flavorful. Combining deathtouch with a damage ability is always a cool way to get extra value out of a creature card. The fact that this is almost guaranteed to be a 2-for-1 unless your opponent has an empty board makes me wonder if it's undercosted for an uncommon.
winner & next
Show
Hide
HM: mellifluoresce, stille_nacht
Winner: Ink-Treader
Next: Search for the truth

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 2 years ago

Explore the Timeline 1UB
Enchantment (R)
Skip your draw step.
At the beginning of your upkeep, look at the top card of each player's library, then exile one of them. You may play that card as long as it remains exiled. If you don't own it, you may spend mana as though it were mana of any color to cast it.
The investigator paused. He had been able to predict everything happening, but... how?

IIW: Detectives and such

Phyrexian Editor

Post by Phyrexian Editor » 2 years ago

Epiphany of the Warrior Prince 3rgw
Sorcery {R}
If you control more lands than creatures, create a 0/0 green Avatar creature token with X +1/+1 counters on it, where X is the number of lands you control. If you control more creatures than lands, creatures you control gain vigilance and haste until end of turn and after this main phase, there is an additional combat phase followed by an additional main phase. If you control an equal number of creatures and lands, do both.

IIW: More Sarpadian Empires flavor text

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 2 years ago

One Question Left 6WW
Enchantment - Aura (R)
Enchant bottom card of your library
At the beginning of your upkeep, if enchanted card is the only card in your library, you win the game.

Iiw: new silver border mechanics

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Archaeologist Class WU
Enchantment - Class (R)
When Archaeologist Class enters the battlefield, investigate (create a clue token, it's a artifact with "2, T, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.)
WU: Level 2
Whenever a nontoken artifact or enchantment leaves the battlefield, investigate.
2WU: Level 3
You may cast artifact and enchantment spells from your graveyard.

Ulka

Search for the Truth UG
Sorcery
Look at the top three cards of your library. Put one of those cards into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in any order. You may reveal it. If it is a land card, you may put it into play tapped instead. If this spell was cast from anywhere other than your hand, put each of those cards into your hand instead.
Suspend 2 - 3UG

IIW: Suspend

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 2 years ago

Kado, Tortured Investigator 1UU
Legendary Creature — Human Rogue {R}
When Kado, Tortured Investigator enters the battlefield, each opponent creates a 3/3 blue Illusion creature token.
At the beginning of each opponent's end step, if that player controls no Illusions, draw a card.
2/3

IIW: Seek a Way Out!
MEG

Ink-Treader

I will aim to judge in about 12 hours. Get those entries in if you have them.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 2 years ago

Amara, Fractured Psyche 1BR
Legendary Creature — Human Warlock (R)
Whenever you discard a card, investigate.
Hellbent — Whenever you sacrifice a Clue, if you have no cards in hand, draw a card.
The truth forever eludes the broken mind.
3/2

IIW: Alligators and tricksters
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Ink-Treader

And done

NinjaCaterpie: Potentially very annoying for your opponent, but you do lose your draw step for it. Exploring the timeline feels like it should involve digging deep, as opposed to looking through other people's things.

Phyrexian Editor: My main issue here is that the 'more lands' option feels very overcosted, while the 'more creatures' option is probably still a little overcosted, but much less so. The 'equal' option, however, is decent for the cost and conditions, but those conditions are pretty difficult to achieve, especially as a game goes on.

Pygyzy: Cute, but dreadfully expensive compared to similar win cons like Laboratory Maniac.

Krishnath: The initial effect is pretty weak, but tier 2 is quite solid. Tier 3 is pretty ridiculous though, especially with Tier 2's effect. Spam Spellbomb and Seal type cards for days.

Ulka: The base effect is quite good. Coiling Oracle and Growth Spiral would almost be envious. The Suspend I find kind of weird. I think it might be a hair overcosted. The wording is weird, but I suspect you intend the player to a be able to dump lands from the Suspend mode too. I should note that the player should reveal before putting those cards in hand for anticheat reasons.

Megiddo: This is some intriguing flavor. I like that they themselves can't beat the Illusions. Potentially very powerful in multiplayer, but not unreasonable. And blue has access to some interesting ways of getting around the Illusions being there.

Cythare: I like the flavor on this too. I do wonder if this might be a little strong, but I think it's at least strong in a fun way. The Hellbent bonus is a nice bonus in flavor and utility, but the investigate on discard is definitely stealing the show.

Winner: Cythare
HM: Megiddo
Next challenge: Alligators and tricksters

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 2 years ago

Snapjaw Prestidigitator 2UG
Creature - Faerie Rogue (R)
Flying
Whenever Snapjaw Prestidigitator attacks, choose one:
• Manifest the top card of your library.
• Target face-down creature becomes a 5/5 green Crocodile until end of turn.
"That tree? Alligator. That rock? Alligator. The hat on your head - believe it or not, alligator."
2/1

IIW: Detectives and such

Ulka

Crocodile Tears
Instant (U)
If B was spent to cast this spell, each opponent discards a card. If U was spent to cast this spell, until end of turn target creature becomes a blue Crocodile with Base power and toughness 3/3.
Target creature you control deals damage equal to its power to target creature you don't control.

IIW: If (Color) mana was spent to cast this spell, then

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

My previous submission from the alliteration round:

Crafty Creeper
2bb
Creature - Crocodile (C)
Creatures can't convoke.
2/4
"Crikey!"-Cris, Crocodile Catcher

IIW: Ice Cream
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Mangrove Mountebank BGU
Creature - Human Shaman (R)
Hexproof
When Mangrove Mountebank enters the battlefield, create a 4/4 green and black crocodile creature token named "Alligator"
Crocodile creatures you control are unblockable.
0/1

IIW: Disney Animated Canon (that means no Pixar).

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 2 years ago

Floating Debris UU
Artifact
When Floating Debris enters the battlefield, scry 2.
Whenever a creature attacks you or a planeswalker you control, you may pay 2G. If you do, Floating Debris becomes a 3/3 Crocodile creature and loses all other types.
1BB: Floating Debris gains deathtouch until end of turn. Activate only if Floating Debris is a creature, and only if it is blocking a creature with power 3 or less.

Swarming Settlement
Land
Swarming Seaport enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add B, G, or U.
2BGU: Swarming Seaport becomes a 3/3 green Crocodile creature with islandwalk and swampwalk until your next upkeep. It's still a land.
The small fishing village was once full of people who thought building on stilts would keep the alligators away.

IIW: creature type Dreadnought

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Later Alligator GG
Creature — Alligator Illusion (U)
You can't cast Later Alligator before your third turn of the game.
Whenever Later Alligator becomes the target of a spell, exile it, then return it to the battlefield tapped at the beginning of the next end step.
4/4

IIW: Alter-egos from another timeline/multiverse

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”