NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Cythare » 3 years ago

Looks like this slowed down quickly, so let's see...
chetoos wrote:
3 years ago
Brokkos, the forever beast 3BGU
Legendary Creature - Nightmare Beast Elemental
Mutate 3(u/b)gg
Trample
Each creature you control gets +1/+1 for each time it has mutated.
Each creature you control that has mutated at least twice has hexproof and deathtouch.
6/6

IIW: The dark souls of MTG
I like that this is a mutate lord that cares about how often things have mutated, but I dislike giving things hexproof and deathtouch, especially given that Brokkos himself has trample. This feels like too much in one card, even for a mythic (I'm assuming it's mythic). It's virtually impossible to interact with if you drop it onto something that's already mutated.
Ulka wrote:
3 years ago
The Evershifting Plasm
Legendary Creature - Ooze Horror(M)
Mutate
The Evershifting Plasm can only have cards mutated underneath it.
Whenever The Evershifting Ooze enters the battlefield or attacks, exile target card from a graveyard. If it was a creature card, it mutates under The Evershifting Ooze.
Whenever The Evershifting Ooze mutates, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
"Stories are told of a shapeless horror in the Zagoth that will shape the world" Jerzu, Zagothan Guide
2/2

IIW: Oozes
I'm generally not a fan of extreme hybrid mixing, but that aside, this is pretty neat. Requiring that this always be the top card helps mitigate the mutations, and I like that it leverages mutate in a way that isn't within the usual confines.
Megiddo wrote:
3 years ago
Ascendancy of Brokkos BGU
Enchantment {R}
During each of your turns, you may cast up to one permanent spell from your graveyard.

IIW: Sports you might play on a Magic plane.
Clean, straightforward, and on-brand for both the color combination in general and Zagoth specifically.
mellifluoresce wrote:
3 years ago
Ken Nagoth
Legendary Creature - Human Shaman (M)
, , Sacrifice a creature: Search your library for up to two creature cards with total converted mana cost equal to the sacrificed creature's converted mana cost and exile them. Put one onto the battlefield, then put the rest onto the battlefield merged with that permanent.
1/1

IIW: Dora the Explorer
But why. Also, why can't you settle on two cards with a lower total converted mana cost?
Flatline wrote:
3 years ago
Thing of Nightmares bg
Creature — Nightmare Beast Illusion (R)
You may cast Thing of Nightmares for its Mutate cost as though it has flash.
Mutate gu (If you cast this spell for its mutate cost, put it over or under target non-Human creature you own. They mutate into the creature on top plus all abilities from under it.)
Exile a card underneath this creature: This creature gains indestructible and hexproof until end of turn.
3/2

IIW: Green Goblins
I'm not sure how the mechanics of the activated ability work, so I'll assume it's fine or would be ironed out before print. This seems reasonably costed for either a one-shot hexproof/indestructible effect or a resilient beater you're hoping to grow later on.
lookingupanddown wrote:
3 years ago
Zagoth Pollinator G(u/b)
Creature - Nightmare Insect Elemental
Flying
1G, : Choose a kind of counter on target creature. Put a counter of that kind on Zagoth Pollinator.
X(u/b)(u/b), Remove a counter from Zagoth Pollinator: Put a counter of the kind removed from Zagoth Pollinator on up to X target creatures.
0/2
I don't know what rarity this is supposed to be, but I'd expect this to be at uncommon and require a higher activation cost for the second ability (or maybe a sacrifice)? It seems quite swingy.

HM: Flatline, for a surprisingly smooth-feeling rare despite all the baggage associated with it.
Winner: Megiddo, for an on-theme card that was cleanly executed and exciting for Limited.

Next: Sports you might play on a Magic plane
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

mellifluoresce
the winner is tibalt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by mellifluoresce » 3 years ago

Cythare wrote:
3 years ago
But why. Also, why can't you settle on two cards with a lower total converted mana cost?
imagine proofreading cards! then i might have to judge
Club Flamingo Alumnus

Disappointing Signet + co-founder

talk to me about the Black Market format! Now ready for your Hogaaks
SPOILER
Show
Hide
mirrorentity wrote: Judging.
Ogre of the Gray Ogre: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogre of the Pit: No IIW. Disqualified.
Toll Troll: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
My Hair Caught Fire!: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
Ogre Under: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogrenacle at Pendrell Vale: Overcosted.
Ogreforge Mystic: Judge. Disqualified.

Winner: Gerrard's Mom becomes a Tier I spammer!

Next spamellenge: Make the Ogre philosopher Gnerdel.

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 3 years ago

Oketra's Archer 2W
Creature - Bird Archer
Reach
w,t: Oketra's Archer deals damage equal to its power to target creature that attacked or blocked since your last turn. When that creature dies this turn, put a +1/+1 counter on Oketra's Archer. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
Skills forged for combat are just as sharp in competition.
2/3

IIW: Runner up judges "Seven Deadly Sins"
Last edited by chetoos 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Megiddo
MEG
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Megiddo » 3 years ago

asking about sports on a card nerd forum = big brain
MEG

mellifluoresce
the winner is tibalt

Mox Presented by StateFarm 0
Legendary Artifact (M)
: Add .
: Add one mana of any color. Activate this ability only if a player is at match point in a best-of-three or best-of-five series.

IIW: degeneral
Last edited by mellifluoresce 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Club Flamingo Alumnus

SPOILER
Show
Hide

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Akroan Mud-Wrestler 1W
Creature - Human Warrior (U)
W, T: Remove Akroan Mud-Wrestler and target attacking creature from combat. That creature deals damage equal to its power to Akroan Mud-Wrestler.
0/4

IIW: A rare Human with converted mana cost 3.
Level 2 Judge circa 2016

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 years ago

Icatian Javelineers ... um, maybe not.

Jump... probably no.

Fencing Ace ... don't think so.

Mogg Shotputter -- R
Creature - Goblin
Goblin Shotputter enters the battlefield with a rock counter.
, Remove a rock counter: Mogg Shotputter deals one damage to any target.
, , Remove a rock counter, Exert Mogg Shotputter: Mogg Shotputter deals two damage to any target. Put a rock counter on Mogg Shotputter.
1/1
Last edited by OneAndOnly 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 3 years ago

Hipcheck 1R
Instant (U)
Choose target creature you control and target creature an opponent controls. Each deals damage equal to its toughness to the other.
"Members of the Sun empire play a game called Ulama. We don't understand it well but we do understand it to avoid their hips." - Pizarro Tecsor, Soldier of the Legion of Dusk

IIW: White Card Advantage
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 3 years ago

Log-Rocket Hopper UR
Creature - Goblin (U)
Flying, haste
Whenever Log-Rocket Hopper attacks, flip a coin. If you lose the flip, Log-Rocket Hopper deals 1 damage to itself and loses flying until end of turn.
Statute 316B - Mizzium transfer rockets are not a valid form of public transportation.
Statute 316B-2 - They are not valid private transportation either.

3/2

IIW: Acceptable crossovers

cadp_
Proprietor of Acoustic Gaming

Post by cadp_ » 3 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
That was also a time in which every challenge would get 20 entries within those 24 hours without fail
For what it's worth, dealing with nine entries on a 7" tablet with just the on-screen keyboard definitely feels like dealing with 20 entries.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Strix-Chesses
Artifact (U)
, : Tap target creature you control and target creature you don't control. Owner of a creature tapped this way with higher converted mana cost draws a card.
Among mages of Azure Club of Strixhaven School there is only one kind of sport, as they frown up any other kind of non-school activity.

IIW: First thing you see, magicified.

mellifluoresce
the winner is tibalt

Saddleback Lagacrosse Champion
Creature - Elf (U)
Provoke (Whenever this creature attacks, you may have target creature defending player controls untap and block it if able.)
Dash (You may cast this spell for its dash cost. If you do, it gains haste, and it's returned from the battlefield to its owner's hand at the beginning of the next end step.)
3/2

IIW: Doran the explorer
Club Flamingo Alumnus

SPOILER
Show
Hide

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

wonderful

Post by wonderful » 3 years ago

Mountain-Molder Ghorn 4RG
Legendary Creature - Giant Shaman (R)
Vigilance
1R: Target creature you control with power 2 or less gains flying until end of turn. At the beginning of your end step, sacrifice that creature.
2G, Sacrifice a land: Create a 1/1 red Elemental creature token with haste.
Along with being a skilled shaman, Ghorn is also an award-winning Goblin Tosser.
6/6

Slick Goblin 1R
Creature - Goblin (U)
Whenever Slick Goblin deals combat damage, it deals 1 damage to any target.
Slick Goblin can't be sacrificed.
A veteran of Goblin Tossing, he always lands on his feet.
1/1

iiw: goblins doing unusual things

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Tavern Drinker
Creature - Ogre Peasant (U)
At the beginning of combat phase, tap Tavern Drinker unless an artifact was put into graveyard from the battlefield this turn.
Whenever you gain life, Tavern Drinker gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the amount of life you gained. Tavern Drinker fights another target creature.
He always wins at Gnome-drinking, not necessarily in fair way.
1/4

IIW: Card named with random worrds generator

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Atog 1R
Creature — Atog (U)
Sacrifice an artifact: Atog gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
On Dominaria, a scavenger. On Mirrodin, a predator. On Kaladesh, a competitive eating champion.
Level 2 Judge circa 2016

Megiddo
MEG

Welcome.... to the MTGNexus Halftime Report. MTGNexus: Your home for all things Magic: The Gathering™.

Wow, what an exciting time it's been here at the Brofaux Memorial stadium this afternoon. We talk about the importance of energy in these games and let me tell you, that's what we're seeing today.

Let's take a look at some of the highlights from the first half:
chetoos wrote:
3 years ago
Oketra's Archer 2W
Creature - Bird Archer
Reach
w,t: Oketra's Archer deals damage equal to its power to target creature that attacked or blocked since your last turn. When that creature dies this turn, put a +1/+1 counter on Oketra's Archer. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
Skills forged for combat are just as sharp in competition.
2/3

IIW: Runner up judges "Seven Deadly Sins"
First up we have this great card by cheetoos. It's got a unique combination of targeting and timing restrictions that I don't think I've ever seen before. Unfortunately, this one got called back due to a flag on the IIW. You have to stick the landing to make the play!
mellifluoresce wrote:
3 years ago
Mox Presented by StateFarm 0
Legendary Artifact (M)
: Add .
: Add one mana of any color. Activate this ability only if a player is at match point in a best-of-three or best-of-five series.

IIW: degeneral
Next is this one—I have to interject here, I'm not sure I like the idea of the players wearing sponsorship gear. I know that we do it here in the booth, but this isn't NASCAR. Anyway, you gotta love the drama here. This card is going to sit on the bench for most of the game, but when it's prime time and you need a clutch finisher, it steps up. Some people might say there's no spot on the roster for a card like that, but we like that kind of thing around here.
Cythare wrote:
3 years ago
Akroan Mud-Wrestler 1W
Creature - Human Warrior (U)
W, T: Remove Akroan Mud-Wrestler and target attacking creature from combat. That creature deals damage equal to its power to Akroan Mud-Wrestler.
0/4

Sometimes you just have to get down and dirty. Maybe grandpa complains that the game isn't as physical anymore, but really, all you have to do is take a look at cards like this and you'll see that things are as exciting as always. What I really appreciate here is the subtlety. Yeah, most of the time that ability doesn't do anything, but when you need a trick play down the stretch to make a big swing in the game, watch out!
OneAndOnly wrote:
3 years ago
Mogg Shotputter -- R
Creature - Goblin
Goblin Shotputter enters the battlefield with a rock counter.
, Remove a rock counter: Mogg Shotputter deals one damage to any target.
, , Remove a rock counter, Exert Mogg Shotputter: Mogg Shotputter deals two damage to any target. Put a rock counter on Mogg Shotputter.
1/1
It's always unfortunate when you have a penalty-heavy game. The fans want to see action, not flags! Hopefully these players will clean it up for the second half.
Ulka wrote:
3 years ago
Hipcheck 1R
Instant (U)
Choose target creature you control and target creature an opponent controls. Each deals damage equal to its toughness to the other.
"Members of the Sun empire play a game called Ulama. We don't understand it well but we do understand it to avoid their hips." - Pizarro Tecsor, Soldier of the Legion of Dusk

IIW: White Card Advantage
Oof, speaking of physical games, take a look at this one! That's gotta hurt. They say this is one of the most cerebral games out there, and I have to agree—one of the best things you can do is disguise your plans to try to trick your opponents. When it works, it works. But sometimes you get sniffed out and the play gets broken up. So it goes!
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
3 years ago
Log-Rocket Hopper UR
Creature - Goblin (U)
Flying, haste
Whenever Log-Rocket Hopper attacks, flip a coin. If you lose the flip, Log-Rocket Hopper deals 1 damage to itself and loses flying until end of turn.
Statute 316B - Mizzium transfer rockets are not a valid form of public transportation.
Statute 316B-2 - They are not valid private transportation either.

3/2

IIW: Acceptable crossovers
Usually we don't get to talk about the coin toss here in the halftime report, but we get that rare opportunity today. 99.9% of the time the toss goes off without a hitch, and you really only ever get to talk about failures hypothetically or in fiction. But when it fails, things really go wrong. I'm sure we'll all forget about this by next week.
Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
3 years ago
Strix-Chesses
Artifact (U)
, : Tap target creature you control and target creature you don't control. Owner of a creature tapped this way with higher converted mana cost draws a card.
Among mages of Azure Club of Strixhaven School there is only one kind of sport, as they frown up any other kind of non-school activity.

IIW: First thing you see, magicified.
Now this is the kind of high risk play you only get to see at this level. Plays like this can be devastating if you pull them off, but having to pull your best player out of the play just to make a move like this is going to keep this one in the back page of most coach's playbooks. I'm glad we got to see it today, but I'd be surprised if we saw it again anytime soon.
mellifluoresce wrote:
3 years ago
Saddleback Lagacrosse Champion
Creature - Elf (U)
Provoke (Whenever this creature attacks, you may have target creature defending player controls untap and block it if able.)
Dash (You may cast this spell for its dash cost. If you do, it gains haste, and it's returned from the battlefield to its owner's hand at the beginning of the next end step.)
3/2

For all of the flags today sometimes a card like this comes through where you wonder why it didn't get flagged. You see something like that and you wonder whether there was a blown call somewhere. Power like this shouldn't be so freely available, if you ask me. I wonder if they'll be more vigilant on calling these in the second half.
wonderful wrote:
3 years ago
Mountain-Molder Ghorn 4RG
Legendary Creature - Giant Shaman (R)
Vigilance
1R: Target creature you control with power 2 or less gains flying until end of turn. At the beginning of your end step, sacrifice that creature.
2G, Sacrifice a land: Create a 1/1 red Elemental creature token with haste.
Along with being a skilled shaman, Ghorn is also an award-winning Goblin Tosser.
6/6

Slick Goblin 1R
Creature - Goblin (U)
Whenever Slick Goblin deals combat damage, it deals 1 damage to any target.
Slick Goblin can't be sacrificed.
A veteran of Goblin Tossing, he always lands on his feet.
1/1

iiw: goblins doing unusual things
Here's another trick play, a two-card formation. You know the team is looking for fun when they bust one of these out. It's all about synchronization with this kind of play. When you only have half of the pieces you only get half of the picture. But together they're more than the sum of their parts.
Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
3 years ago
Tavern Drinker
Creature - Ogre Peasant (U)
At the beginning of combat phase, tap Tavern Drinker unless an artifact was put into graveyard from the battlefield this turn.
Whenever you gain life, Tavern Drinker gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the amount of life you gained. Tavern Drinker fights another target creature.
He always wins at Gnome-drinking, not necessarily in fair way.
1/4

IIW: Card named with random worrds generator
This group is really in love with the gimmick plays today it seems. Sometimes you draw up a play with all of the angles considered, all of the routes planned, but when you get onto the field you realize that it isn't quite as exciting as it looked on the whiteboard. That's ok, I'm sure the coach will take that one back to the film room to review, but for now it does leave us with some interesting on-the-field viewing.

I think that's about all the time we have. The game's been great so far—I hope we get to see some more exciting cards from this group in the second half. Thanks for watching the MTGNexus Halftime Report. And now back to the booth for more live coverage!

---
Winner: wonderful
Next: goblins doing unusual things
MEG

chetoos

I want to design cards for that contest, is that so wrong? :P

Megiddo
MEG

It's a good challenge! Maybe others will take up the call for their IIWs.
MEG

chetoos

Grotag Insurance Salesman 2r
Creature - Goblin Advisor Rogue
1r, t: Target creature gets +2/-1, and gains "This creature attacks each combat if able. When this creature dies in combat, its controller creates 2 treasure tokens." until end of turn.
He offers a feeling of security that most adventuring parties would kill for.
2/3

IIW: Secret Lair X Nintendo

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 3 years ago

Whoops, I was too late for the last one.... It took time to tinker with the stuff. It's a shame, I was pretty happy with it.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Trombatto: a world of sports, where high stakes competitions in massive stadia determine the fate of the world. Nations go to literal war on the playing field, and the tournament for Emperor of Trombatto is underway! But who should enter but Chandra! She's evil for some reason now, and wants to conquer the plane! What?! Not if the Gatewatch has something to say about it!

Cambadian Back-Fielder 3W
Creature- Orc Athlete (U)
Vigilance
When two or more creatures attack you, you get a point.
As long as you have three or more points, Creatures you control get +0/+1 and have vigilance.
2/5

Eager Rookie R
Creature- Goblin Athlete (C)
Haste
Competetor (When Eager Rookie deals combat damage to a player, you get a point.)
As long as you have 5 or more points, Eager Rookie gets +3/+0 and first strike.
1/1

Macabre Cheerleaders 1B
Creature- Zombie Athlete (C)
Sacrifice Macabre Cheerleaders: You get a point.
Sacrifice Macabre Cheerleaders: Target player loses 1 life and draws a card. Activate this ability only if you have more points than any other player.
2/2

Drakehide Ball 1
Artifact- Equipment (C)
When a creature you control attacks alone, attach Drakehide ball to that creature.
Equipped creature has competitor.
When you get a point, scry 1 and gain 1 life. If you have more points than any other player, scry 2 and gain 2 life instead.

Ajani of the Trombatholon 2WW
Legendary Planeswalker- Ajani (M)
When you get points, put that many loyalty counters on Ajani.
{{0}}: Creatures you control get +1/+1 and gain vigilance and competitor until end of turn.
{{-4}}: Create 2 2/2 Cat Athlete creature tokens with competitor. If you have 10 or more points, and you have more points than any other player, you win the game.
{{4}}
So the plane is all broken up with space in between.... and they have to travel between the continents in magic powered spaceships. And Jace wears a really idiotic looking space-suit.

Gazzleshax, Interworld Trucker 3R
Creature- Goblin Pilot (R)
Haste, Protection from pirates.
T, Tap an untapped vehicle you control: draw 2 cards then discard a card at random.
T: Target vehicle becomes a creature and gains haste and protection from pirates until end of turn.
"Don't worry, Agness. Ol' Gazzy getcha there.
2/4

IIW: A common and a rare with the same ability.
Last edited by Mergatroid_Jones 3 years ago, edited 4 times in total.

mellifluoresce
the winner is tibalt

Goblin Realtor
Creature - Goblin Advisor (U)
: You may put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield. Sacrifice it at the beginning of the next end step.
1/1

IIW: Turnips
Club Flamingo Alumnus

SPOILER
Show
Hide

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Goblin Courtier R
Creature - Goblin Advisor (R)
Haste
Whenever Goblin Courtier deals combat damage to a player, that player becomes the monarch.
2/2

EDIT: Since this came up in discussion elsewhere, if you attack and deal combat damage to a player who is already the monarch with this, this will trigger and the monarch's innate ability will trigger and be put on top of it. That player will briefly stop being the monarch, but then they'll immediately become the monarch again. It does break things like Palace Jailer, though.
Last edited by Cythare 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Level 2 Judge circa 2016

KoolKoal
For Posterity

Post by KoolKoal » 3 years ago

mellifluoresce wrote:
3 years ago
Hey watch it buddy

Moggo my Doggo
Creature - Goblin Teenager (U)
When Moggo my Doggo enters the battlefield, create a 3/3 red Beast creature token.
When Moggo my Doggo leaves the battlefield, for each Beast creature you control, a random opponent gains control of that creature. (This effect does not end at the end of turn.)
Moggo my Doggo Pet Service is not responsible for lost or eaten animals.
1/1

IIW: creatures that can't attack or block

Megiddo
MEG

joblins
MEG

Togs

Post by Togs » 3 years ago

Goblin Card Designer 2R
Creature - Goblin Wizard (R)
T: Exile the top four cards of your library. You may cast a Goblin creature card exiled this way without paying its mana cost this turn. If you do, it gains haste, and ban that card at end of turn. (Exile that card. You can't cast cards with the same name for the rest of the game.)
2/2
"We'll fix it in play design."

IIW: Return of Tibalt

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”