NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Sporegorger_Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

Vorn Carias, Spiral of Evolution
4bggu
Legendary Creature - Elder Dragon (M)
Flying
When Vorn Carias, Spiral of Evolution enters the battlefield, create a 0/1 green Plant creature token for each creature card in your graveyard.
Whenever Vorn Carias attacks, until end of turn each other creature token you control becomes a black, green and blue Plant Dragon with base power and toughness 5/5, loses all abilities, and gains flying.
7/7

IIW: Cleave
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 2 years ago

Judging tonight

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 2 years ago

Monument to Crucius 2WUUB
Legendary Artifact
When Monument to Crucius enters the battlefield, return all artifacts to their owners' hands.
X, , Discard a card: Search your library or a graveyard for an artifact card with mana value X and put it onto the battlefield. If you search your library this way, shuffle.
Whenever a nontoken artifact enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, scry 3, then reveal the top card of your library. If an artifact was revealed this way, untap Monument to Crucius and that opponent loses 2 life.

IIW: White and/or black Elementals

Juancu
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Juancu » 2 years ago

Up and Down GB|BW
Flex Instant
(You may cast a flex spell ignoring before or after |.)
Return target permanent card from your graveyard to your hand.
|
Exile target creature with power 4 or more.

chetoos

Welcome to the wedge showcase! Enjoy.
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
What's with today?

Maw of Greed XUGGB
Creature - Horror
Delve
When you cast Maw of Greed, choose two cards from your graveyard with combined mana costs equal to Maw of Greed's mana cost. If you do, an opponent chooses one of them. Cast that card without paying its mana cost.
3/3
A cycle
Show
Hide
Spirit of Resilience XGBBW
Creature - Spirit
Convoke
When you cast Spirit of Resilience, choose two cards from your graveyard with combined mana costs equal to Spirit of Resilience's mana cost. If you do, an opponent chooses one of them. Cast that card without paying its mana cost.
3/4

Scourge of Wrath XRWWB
Creature - Demon
Scourge of Wrath costs 1 less to cast for each creature that attacked this turn.
When you cast Scourge of Wrath, choose two cards from your graveyard with combined mana costs equal to Scourge of Wrath's mana cost. If you do, an opponent chooses one of them. Cast that card without paying its mana cost.
4/2

Paragon of Inspiration XWRRU
Creature - Efreet Artificer
Affinity for Artifacts
When you cast Paragon of Inspiration, choose two cards from your graveyard with combined mana costs equal to Paragon of Inspiration's mana cost. If you do, an opponent chooses one of them. Cast that card without paying its mana cost.
2/2

Weaver of Leylines XGUUR
Creature - Spider
Flash
Weaver of Leylines costs 3 less to cast if there are three or more instant and/or sorcery cards in your graveyard.
When you cast Weaver of Leylines, choose two cards from your graveyard with combined mana costs equal to Weaver of Leylines' mana cost. If you do, an opponent chooses one of them. Cast that card without paying its mana cost.
1/3
IIW: There's no one here!
I was going to just hand you the contest, honestly, but then you expanded into a full cycle, and only changed the cost reduction methods on the other cards. Judging just your original card, I love it, chef's kiss, nothing wrong, perfect, but then the rest of the cycle drags it down so far.
Megiddo wrote:
2 years ago
Narset, Mind Afire URRW
Legendary Planeswalker — Narset {M}
+1: Exile the top two cards of your library. You may put a noncreature, nonland card exiled this way into your hand.
-3: Choose any target, then exile the top three cards of your library. Narset deals damage to that permanent or player equal to the highest mana value among the exiled cards. You gain that much life.
-7: You get an emblem with "You may cast cards you own from exile."
{4}

IIW: the teachings of Ojutai
This is very good, my only note is that the ult should probably specify face up cards, otherwise cards you exile face down you could also cast.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
Vorn Carias, Spiral of Evolution
4bggu
Legendary Creature - Elder Dragon (M)
Flying
When Vorn Carias, Spiral of Evolution enters the battlefield, create a 0/1 green Plant creature token for each creature card in your graveyard.
Whenever Vorn Carias attacks, until end of turn each other creature token you control becomes a black, green and blue Plant Dragon with base power and toughness 5/5, loses all abilities, and gains flying.
7/7

Some way to grant haste to your board makes this probably an instant win in draft (but let's be real, this is already an instant win in draft without removal). Very powerful, splashy effect that works in the wedge, but feels too strong in one direction, though the decks that would get to play this likely aren't filled with creatures. I'm torn.
lookingupanddown wrote:
2 years ago
Monument to Crucius 2WUUB
Legendary Artifact
When Monument to Crucius enters the battlefield, return all artifacts to their owners' hands.
X, , Discard a card: Search your library or a graveyard for an artifact card with mana value X and put it onto the battlefield. If you search your library this way, shuffle.
Whenever a nontoken artifact enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, scry 3, then reveal the top card of your library. If an artifact was revealed this way, untap Monument to Crucius and that opponent loses 2 life.

IIW: White and/or black Elementals
DQed on two points: It's not a wedge card (Wedge is the name for the khans tricolor, this is a shard) and because it returns itself to its owner's hand when you play it. And you can't even use the X ability in response, because then it just returns to your hand as well.
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
Up and Down GB|BW
Flex Instant
(You may cast a flex spell ignoring before or after |.)
Return target permanent card from your graveyard to your hand.
|
Exile target creature with power 4 or more.
This is a very interesting new mechanic, that's basically just a step up on modal cards. I'm not sure how to judge this one, but you already have another entry with an actual IIW, so I'll just keep that one in.

Winner: Megiddo
Next: The teachings of Ojutai

chetoos

Lessons of the dragon 1WU
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
If enchanted creature is a monk or a dragon, it gets +1/+2 and gains vigilance and flying. Otherwise, enchanted creature can't attack or block, and it loses all abilities.
Those who understand what Ojutai says gain power from his words. All others freeze, as they attempt to ponder the impossible contradictions he gives.

IIW: A card for green stompy

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

Rotting Carp
2bb
Creature - Zombie Fish (C)
1/6
"And yet a trace of the true self exists in the false self." -Ojutai, translated from Draconic

"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Juancu

Balance and Strike
Show
Hide
BSSS.jpg
Trying this mechanic again. Yes, it's simply Fuse, a mechanic I loved so much, but probably won't see again. Plus Split cards look so ugly now.

IIW: Stimulating

vishamon
Custom Card Connoisseur

Post by vishamon » 2 years ago

Teachings of Ojutai 2URW
Enchantment (R)
Untapped permanents you control have hexproof.
Whenever a Dragon you control attacks, tap target nonland permanent an opponent controls. That permanent doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.

IIW: literalism

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 2 years ago

i will judge with my morning coffee. get your entries in!
MEG

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 2 years ago

Patience 1WU
Enchantment (U)
At the beginning of combat on your turn, you may tap up to X target creatures, where X is the number of frost counters on Patience.
At the end of combat on your turn, if you didn't attack this combat, put a frost counter on Patience.

IIW: An Elder for a tribe that doesn't yet have Elders

Juancu

Aikido WU
Instant (U)
Gain control of target creature spell. When that creature enters the battlefield, sacrifice it.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 2 years ago

Dragons are the Best 1WU
Sorcery (R)
You may choose a Dragon card you own from outside the game and reveal it. If its converted mana cost is 4 or less, you may manifest it. Otherwise, put it into your hand and scry 2. Then, if you didn't reveal a Dragon card this way, draw two cards and you gain 2 life.

IIW: Un-Iverses Beyond
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Megiddo
MEG

coffee's hot, and so am I. Time to judge.
chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
Lessons of the dragon 1WU
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
If enchanted creature is a monk or a dragon, it gets +1/+2 and gains vigilance and flying. Otherwise, enchanted creature can't attack or block, and it loses all abilities.
Those who understand what Ojutai says gain power from his words. All others freeze, as they attempt to ponder the impossible contradictions he gives.

IIW: A card for green stompy
This is a good Aura in the same family as Bonds of Faith, where it's got a strong default mode with a contextually-strong alternate. I'll always love these cards for their depth, which isn't always obvious at first glance. This being three mana and two colors, it makes sense that the bonuses are a bit stronger than what we see on Bonds or similar enchantments. No rarity provided, but I intuit this as an uncommon. I'd consider possibly boosting the monk/dragon ability slightly in that case.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
Rotting Carp
2bb
Creature - Zombie Fish (C)
1/6
"And yet a trace of the true self exists in the false self." -Ojutai, translated from Draconic

"Mock not the scavengers. You see desperation where you should notice resilience."
—Ojutai, translated from Draconic

Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
Balance and Strike
Show
Hide
BSSS.jpg
IIW: Stimulating
I like the adventurousness in template here, though I admit I was confused when I first looked at it last night. I wanted to sleep on it; new things are often offputting at first, but familiarity smooths it over (I think of adventure cards here). Now that I'm looking with a fresh mind, I think my initial issue remains: It's somewhat unclear to me exactly how this should work just by viewing the card. If I pay 1U, do I only get "Tap or untap?" or can I also get the "deals 4 damage?" I know the answer, but it's unclear. I wish the textbox had a better way to indicate how the abilities were tied together. A split-colored text box would help, though at that point you're more or less back to just using split cards. I also enjoyed fuse quite a bit, so I understand the desire to revisit it. A very minor quibble is that the card's halves aren't in color order. That's something that's subtly jarring to an experienced eye. There's an obvious functional reason you did this, but I'll ask whether it's worth it. This out-of-order thing was done with half of the aftermath cards, but here we have the benefit of the weird frame to help; I don't think there's a single traditional split card that does reverse order. That doesn't mean you can't do this, but I wouldn't unless you had the colored frame to help guide the eye.
I didn't talk about the card effects at all, but it's a remarkably versatile and flexible card, ranging from a cantrip to a straight-up unconditional removal spell, with several useful modes in between. I think you might need to add a generic mana to each half of this, following the conventions of split card costing.
vishamon wrote:
2 years ago
Teachings of Ojutai 2URW
Enchantment (R)
Untapped permanents you control have hexproof.
Whenever a Dragon you control attacks, tap target nonland permanent an opponent controls. That permanent doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.

IIW: literalism
This is a fairly powerful enchantment. I'll assume this is on-cost; it matches up with similar existing effects. The dragon text is directly lifted from Ojutai, Soul of Winter, which is a bit on the nose but we'll accept it. Actually, now that we mention that card, this enchantment seems practically made for the original Ojutai. The quibble here then becomes: When both players control one of these... how miserable is the game going to be? (The second quibble being that Ojutai doesn't use Red magic, and this enchantment doesn't need it, either.) I'd at least add "other" as the first word on the card so that there's counterplay.
spacemonaut wrote:
2 years ago
Patience 1WU
Enchantment (U)
At the beginning of combat on your turn, you may tap up to X target creatures, where X is the number of frost counters on Patience.
At the end of combat on your turn, if you didn't attack this combat, put a frost counter on Patience.

IIW: An Elder for a tribe that doesn't yet have Elders
This made me smile, mostly because I know that if I put this card into one of my decks it would accumulate frost counters fairly rapidly. This is a strong effect. It breaks board stalls very effectively and makes defense very difficult. Even taking a single turn off of attacking will set you up for brutally effective offense the rest of the game. Taking two?
At minimum this would need to be rare, I think. Or have a cap in some way. The good part is that it ends games rather than prolonging them!
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
Aikido WU
Instant (U)
Gain control of target creature spell. When that creature enters the battlefield, sacrifice it.
No IIW, but I like this one. Cost probably needs to double though.
Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
Dragons are the Best 1WU
Sorcery (R)
You may choose a Dragon card you own from outside the game and reveal it. If its converted mana cost is 4 or less, you may manifest it. Otherwise, put it into your hand and scry 2. Then, if you didn't reveal a Dragon card this way, draw two cards and you gain 2 life.

This is the unspoken message behind all of Ojutai's lessons. This card has a lot of words for what ends up being fairly straightforward. I wish it could be condensed to just "dragon mode" and "not dragon mode."

Winner: chetoos
Next: A card for green stompy
MEG

vishamon
Custom Card Connoisseur

Post by vishamon » 2 years ago

Froghegoyf gg
Creature — Frog Lhurgoyf (R)
Trample, haste
Froghegoyf's power is equal to the number of card types among cards in all graveyards.
Splish splash
*/3

IIW: potatoes

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

Giant Sloth (Uncommon)
2GG
Creature - Beast
4/4
Affinity for Forests
Last strike

IIW: colorless aura
Last edited by Legend 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 2 years ago

Unrelenting Kavu 2GG
Creature - Kavu (R)
Trample
Whenever Unrelenting Kavu is blocked by one or more creatures, it gains +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the greatest power among other attacking creatures you control.
Nothing on Yavimaya can truly stop it.
4/4

IIW: White and/or Black elementals

Juancu

Mystic Resonance 1GG
Enchantment (R)
Whenever you cast a your first creature spell each turn, choose one:
- If it's a creature card with a mana ability, draw a card.
- You may sacrifice two creatures you tapped for mana this turn. If you do, copy that spell.

IIW: that's so Metal!
Last edited by Juancu 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 2 years ago

Nyxfont Hydra XG
Enchantment Creature — Hydra (R)
Bestow XGG
Trample
Nyxfont Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
Enchanted creature has trample and gets +1/+1 for each +1/+1 counter on Nyxfont Hydra.
0/0

IIW: An Elder for a tribe that doesn't have any Elders yet
Last edited by spacemonaut 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Phyrexian Editor

Post by Phyrexian Editor » 2 years ago

Kukunohime, Kami of Rest gg
Legendary Creature—Spirit {R}
t: Add g.
Whenever a Druid you control becomes untapped during your untap step, add g. Until end of turn, you don't lose this mana as steps and phases end.
A beam of sunlight, softened by canopy, glinting off a serene pool under a grove of cedars. There she dwells.
2/3

IIW: A mechanic that creates a new game piece (like Daybound or Venture).
Last edited by Phyrexian Editor 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

chetoos

Judging tonight! Get your entries in!

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

Simic SymbioteGG
Creature - Leech Lizard Mutant (U)
Evolve
Whenever another nontoken creature enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on it as long as it has a greater power or toughness than Simic Symbiote.
1/1

IIW: A simic bioengineer made his way to Theros and is making mutant hybrids
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Megiddo
MEG

Merfolk Mystic G
Creature - Merfolk Druid {R}
Merfolk Mystic enters the battlefield with two +1/+1 counters on it if you control another Merfolk.
T: add G. Activate this ability only if Merfolk Mystic doesn't have any +1/+1 counters on it.
1/1

IIW: snow
MEG

Juancu

Blooming Armodon 1GG
Creature - Elephant (U)
Whenever Blooming Armodon attacks, defending player may remove it from combat. If that player does, add GG to your mana pool. Until end of turn, you don't lose this mana as steps and phases end.
4/4

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 2 years ago

Stalking Dryad GG
Creature — Dryad Scout (R)
Menace
When Stalking Dryad enters the battlefield, you may search your library for a basic land card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle.
You may cast Stalking Dryad from your graveyard by discarding two basic land cards in addition to paying its other costs.
3/1

Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”