Thanks for the reminder.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
I make a silver, church makes a gold, that's how I know I'm here 'till I'm old. - Work song sung by orzhov laborers.
See what I mean about all the WB factions
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Mergatroid_Jones
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 2 years ago

The Actual Real World
World Land (M)
T, Pay 1 life: Add one mana of any color.
At the beginning of your upkeep, flip a coin. If you lose, a creature type goes extinct. (Choose a creature type at random where fewer than twenty non-shapeshifter cards of that type have been printed. Exile all non-shapeshifter cards of the chosen type from players libraries.)

(Unfortunately this would have to be a digital card, not that it could ever exist even as that.)
Another card
Show
Hide

The Ultimate Capitalist Game-Model 1BU
Enchantment (R)
When The Ultimate Capitalist Game-Model enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice it and create two treasures. If you don't, open a sealed pack of Magic face down (don't look at it). Then put the top card from it into your hand.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put the top card from the sealed pack into your hand. (Tokens and rules inserts are not cards. Starting with the pack face down usually places the commons or a basic land first.)

"Buy. Buy. Spend. Spend. Collect. Build. Buy. Forever."
-Hasbro, Praetor of the Coast

IIW: A land cycle
Last edited by Mergatroid_Jones 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

stille_nacht

Post by stille_nacht » 2 years ago

Misattributed Causality 2UBW
Enchantment (R)

Whenever a player generates mana, they tap a land they control.
Whenever a player loses life, they tap a creature their opponents control.
Whenever a creature dies, destroy the most recently played creature.

Wet streets cause rain, ice cream drowns people, and low interest rates lead to low inflation. Don't you forget it!

IIW: Ridiculous goblin contraptions

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

Crippling Depression UB
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature or planeswalker
Enchanted creature or planeswalker can't attack or block and its activated abilities can't be activated.
Enchanted creature or planeswalker has "At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 1 life and mill 3 cards."

IIW: Orcs
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 2 years ago

Abort GU
Instant (C)
Counter target creature spell.
Create a Food token.

IIW: An oath for a planeswalker that we don't have a Gatewatch Oath enchantment for, but who has had at least one planeswalker card printed for.
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Ulka

Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
Abort GU
Instant (C)
Create a Food token.

IIW: An oath for a planeswalker that we don't have a Gatewatch Oath enchantment for, but who has had at least one planeswalker card printed for.
exclaim

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

>a Food token
@NinjaCaterpie I think I've seen just about enough of this challenge
NEO spoilers
Show
Hide
and fwiw I think you may correctly be predicting a cyberpunk dystopia Kamigawa given a certain character's image revealed
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Juancu

Post by Juancu » 2 years ago

Contentment 4WB
Creature - Incarnation (M)
When Contentment enters the battlefield, each player may discard their hand. Each player that doesn't, draws cards until they have seven or more in their hand, then they can't draw cards for the rest of the game.
4/4

Conformity 3WU
Enchantment
When Conformity enters the battlefield, create two 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens.
At the beginning of each upkeep, choose a creature with a name that repeats the most among creatures. Each other creature becomes a copy of that creature until end of turn.

IIW: surprise mechanics

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
Abort GU
Instant (C)
Create a Food token.
I'm sorry create a what
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 2 years ago

ughh
MEG

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 2 years ago

Much like society, it appears this challenge has been a mistake.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
Ruthless Boss
2bb
Creature - Human Advisor (U)
Ruthless Boss can't attack or block.
When Ruthless Boss enters the battlefield, create three 1/1 white Human Employee creature tokens.
T, Sacrifice an Employee: Create a Treasure token.
4/4

Privileged Politician
ww
Creature - Human Advisor (R)
As long you have more life than each other player, Privileged Politician has protection from everything.
2/2
Power begets privilege, and privilege begets power.

IIW: Non-magical creatures (ie Flea-Bitten Coyote, Angry Goat, etc)
Oof. The flavour on both is clear and executed well. It's a bit weird for Boss to be a creature (and a large one) that can't enter combat, and it does seem a bit too linear with itself. Politician I can't really gauge too well, it's probably OK?
TacticalCelebrant wrote:
2 years ago
Oof. This challenge could end up being cathartic or depressing. Probably both.

Oppositional Mindset 3uub
Enchantment
Exile the top seven cards of your library: Counter target spell. Any player may activate this ability.
Whenever a player counters a spell, that player creates a treasure token.
All spells gain "When this spell resolves, each opponent loses 3 life"

(I'm not sure about wording on that last line. Would it work on permanent spells? I want someone's opponents to lose life whenever they cast a spell and it isn't countered. Too bad "Successfully cast" isn't a thing any more.)

IIW: An instant or sorcery that can make a token
This is a messy meatball. It's a weird almost-punisher card; since the countering and resolving hit different resources it becomes a weird/interesting game of which one you tax yourself on. The countering is probably too easy to make the game interesting though, and the kinda deck that wants to resolve a 6 mana enchantment might not have the mass of spells needed to brute force value out of this? Though I guess being able to counter stuff manually is pretty good too.
chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
Unfair Contract 2WB
Enchantment
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, they create a treasure token.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you create X treasure tokens, where X is 1 more than the number of opponents you have.
Sacrifice 6 treasure tokens: Choose 1. Any player may activate this ability but only as a sorcery.
  • Put 2 +1/+1 counters on target creature, then put a lifelink, vigilance, and first strike counter on that creature as well.
  • Search your library for a card, put that card into your hand, then shuffle. You lose 2 life.
I make a silver, church makes a gold, that's how I know I'm here 'till I'm old. - Work song sung by orzhov laborers.

IIW: Draft a card from this card's spellbook.
A very interestingly dangerous multiplayer card, though it does give everyone a round to deal with it. In duel it's... probably fine? It does give a lot of mana. The two abilities seem somewhat arbitrary and I'm not seeing their connection to each other or the card. Six treasures is also 6 but with extra steps - that's a lot.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
2 years ago
The Actual Real World
World Land (M)
T, Pay 1 life: Add one mana of any color.
At the beginning of your upkeep, flip a coin. If you lose, a creature type goes extinct. (Choose a creature type at random where fewer than twenty non-shapeshifter cards of that type have been printed. Exile all non-shapeshifter cards of the chosen type from players libraries.)

(Unfortunately this would have to be a digital card, not that it could ever exist even as that.)
Another card
Show
Hide

The Ultimate Capitalist Game-Model 1BU
Enchantment (R)
When The Ultimate Capitalist Game-Model enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice it and create two treasures. If you don't, open a sealed pack of Magic face down (don't look at it). Then put the top card from it into your hand.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put the top card from the sealed pack into your hand. (Tokens and rules inserts are not cards. Starting with the pack face down usually places the commons or a basic land first.)

"Buy. Buy. Spend. Spend. Collect. Build. Buy. Forever."
-Hasbro, Praetor of the Coast

IIW: A land cycle
Oof. As a digital card, would it always choose a creature type that's relevant to the game? I think that'd be interesting as an enchantment of some kind to create a sorta desperate countdown, but if it picks completely randomly, it might as well just be a City of Brass.
stille_nacht wrote:
2 years ago
Misattributed Causality 2UBW
Enchantment (R)

Whenever a player generates mana, they tap a land they control.
Whenever a player loses life, they tap a creature their opponents control.
Whenever a creature dies, destroy the most recently played creature.

Wet streets cause rain, ice cream drowns people, and low interest rates lead to low inflation. Don't you forget it!

IIW: Ridiculous goblin contraptions
Oof. Managing some of this stuff is a bit painful but it's a funny card. Though... doesn't that last ability just instantly wipe the board?
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Crippling Depression UB
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature or planeswalker
Enchanted creature or planeswalker can't attack or block and its activated abilities can't be activated.
Enchanted creature or planeswalker has "At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 1 life and mill 3 cards."

IIW: Orcs
:( Well designed, though for color (and flavor?) tap-locking might be more appropriate (especially given all the existing blue tap-lock cards which are symptoms of or similar to depression...)

I wouldn't necessarily call this too much of a "take".
Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
Abort GU
Instant (C)
Create a Food token.

An interesting Jonathan Swift cosplay. I won't comment further aside from the fact that, while it does generate Food, it doesn't flavourfully (:sick:) feel very green to do so.
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
Contentment 4WB
Creature - Incarnation (M)
When Contentment enters the battlefield, each player may discard their hand. Each player that doesn't, draws cards until they have seven or more in their hand, then they can't draw cards for the rest of the game.
4/4

Conformity 3WU
Enchantment
When Conformity enters the battlefield, create two 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens.
At the beginning of each upkeep, choose a creature with a name that repeats the most among creatures. Each other creature becomes a copy of that creature until end of turn.

IIW: surprise mechanics
These cards are very interesting. Really triggers the J_nny in me, and I don't even have that much. Both create interesting decisions and push you to break or manipulate the symmetry. I feel like Conformity will end up being a Humility most of the time (with ever so slightly less rules baggage), but there's a large ? on that.
Winner: Juancu.
Next: surprise mechanics
void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
NEO spoilers
Show
Hide
and fwiw I think you may correctly be predicting a cyberpunk dystopia Kamigawa given a certain character's image revealed
SPOILER
Show
Hide
It's kinda a necessary part of the genre, given it is called "punk"

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 2 years ago

Capenan Ambusher 4B
Creature - Demon Warrior (Common)
2BB: Drive By (Put this creature card onto the battlefield from your hand tapped and attacking. When you do, this creature must be blocked this combat if able. Return this creature to your hand at the end of combat. Activate this ability only if you attacked this combat, and only before blockers are declared.)
At the beginning of combat on your turn, this creature gains menace.
"Send him on a mission or two, and by the time he is a regular presence, people will know to keep out of his way." - Nefarox, Consiligere to Nixilis
4/5

Mob Coordinator RB
Creature - Demon Advisor (Uncommon)
First Strike
1RB: Drive By
Whenever this or another creature enters the battlefield under your control, it gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
1/2

Eager Enforcer 1B
Creature - Human Berserker (Rare)
Deathtouch
2bb: Drive By
When this creature enters the battlefield, it gains indestructible until end of turn.
"I'm sure Vinny can take care of it, look at that bloodthirst in his eyes." - Mob Nixilis
1/1

Nefarox, Consiligere to Nixilis 4RB
Legendary Creature - Demon Advisor (Mythic)
Flying, Trample
Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, it gets +X/+X where X is the number of other creatures you control.
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control during your combat phase, it gains first strike until end of turn.
Creature cards in your hand have Drive By. The Drive By cost is equal to their mana cost.
6/6

IIW: Draft a card from this card's spellbook OR something for Human Tribal.
Last edited by chetoos 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Magori First Watch WW
Creature — Shapeshifter Soldier (C)
Vigilance
Shapeshifter swap 4WW (4WW: Exchange this Shapeshifter with a Shapeshifter card in your hand.)
2/2

Level 2 Judge circa 2016

Juancu

Where are all the Artificers with flash?
By the way, already existing mechanics are ok: morph, manifest, flash, clash, foretell, etc.

Ulka

Kobold Trap Setter R
Creature - Kobold Artificer
Flash
When Kobold Mechanist enters the battlefield, if you cast a trap spell this turn, return target trap spell in your graveyard to hand.
1/1

IIW: Traps

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 2 years ago

Goblin Spy Party 1R
Creature- Goblin Warrior (C)
Flash
Ambush-- When an opponent casts a spell with the same mana value as this card, you may reveal this card from you hand. If you do, create a 1/1 red Goblin creature token.
2/1
The mechanic represented
Show
Hide
Camouflaged Spider 3GG
Creature- Spider (U)
Reach
1G: Return Camouflaged Spider to its owner's hand.
Ambush-- When an opponent casts a spell with the same mana value as this card, you may reveal this card from your hand. If you do, destroy target creature with flying.
4/5

Expert of Poisons 2G
Creature- Elf Warrior(C)
Deathtouch
Ambush-- When an opponent casts a spell with the same mana value as this card, you may reveal this card from your hand. If you do, target creature gets +1/+1 and gains deathtouch until end of turn.
1/3

Ambush Flare 1R
Instant (C)
Ambush Flare deals 2 damage to any target.
Ambush-- When an opponent casts a spell with the same mana value as this card, you may reveal this card from your hand. If you do, it deals 1 damage to any target.

Thunderstep G
Enchantment- Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature loses flying and gains trample.
When Thunderstep enters the battlefield draw a card.
Ambush-- When an opponent casts a spell with the same mana value as this card, you may put this card from your hand onto the battlefield enchanting target creature. (It must have a target.)

Nokoi, Queen of Bandits 2RG
Legendary Creature- Human Rogue (R)
Flash
Ambush-- When an opponent casts a spell with the same mana value as this card, you may reveal this card from your hand. If you do, creature spells you cast this turn cost RG less to cast and have flash.
When an opponent casts a spell, you may reveal a creature card from your hand with the same mana value as that card. If you do, put the revealed creature onto the battlefield.
4/4

Dead-Man's Pass
Land (U)
T: Add C.
Ambush-- When an opponent casts a spell with the same mana value as this card, you may reveal this card from your hand. If you do, target nonbasic land doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.

That's right, I snuck in a legacy/vintage card at the end.
IIW: Nonblue cards in an underwater world.

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 2 years ago

Booster Ignition 2R
(a: a player making an agonising decision over tearing up a rare dual to launch a high mana-value common. mood: tough choices; everything sucks; i hate this game and also PotC is keeping me trapped in a basement forcing me to write these artist descriptions this is a cry for help please)
Instant (R)
Open a sealed Magic booster pack, reveal a card and tear up the rest. Booster Ignition deals damage equal to that card's mana value to target creature or player (choose the target before you open the pack).
"No, no, let's not use the G-word. I prefer the term... 'surprise mechanics'" - Elesh Nagle, Praetor of the Coast

IIW: The next Modern Horizons set is Magic: What If...?, where Wizards ponders alternate universes like "What if Josu became a necromancer?" and "What if Ugin beat Bolas?"

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
That's Meg's bit usually

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

Merl, Magical Mechanic
1urw
Legendary Creature - Minotaur Artificer (R)
Flash
You may cast Vehicle spells as though they have flash.
Vehicles you control have ward-Pay 3 life.
3/4
"So after that bit about 'surprise mechanics,' I flashed in a dreadnought into his gallbladder."

IIW: Non-magical creatures (ie Flea-Bitten Coyote, Angry Goat, etc)
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Juancu

judging in 3 hours

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Lifesurge Druid GG
Creature — Elf Druid (R)
Flash
Lifesurge Druid can't be countered.
As Lifesurge Druid enters the battlefield, choose a creature type.
Creature spells of the chosen type can't be countered.
Other creatures of the chosen type have ward 1.
2/1

IIW: Spooky vehicles/equipment
Level 2 Judge circa 2016

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 2 years ago

Weldfast Wheelsmith 1RB
Creature - Dwarf Pilot Artificer
Flash
This creature enters the battlefield tapped.
When this creature enters the battlefield, untap target vehicle you control. It becomes an artifact creature until end of turn.
3/2

IIW: Draft a card from this card's spellbook OR something for Human Tribal.

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 2 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
That's Meg's bit usually
I got to it too slow this time. But imagine a DFC human artificer with flash that is a phyrexian gremlin on the other side.
MEG

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”