NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

[meeseeks voice] Nexus competitions aren't supposed to exist this long! It's getting weird!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

@Stapler
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Stapler
is a liar

Post by Stapler » 4 years ago

ROLL FOR INITIATIVE
Show
Hide
spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago
I've been away for a weekend travelling. I rolled a 16 before the weekend and it's been kind of tough figuring out a design that really uses it and is fun+good+viable+balanced. Sixteen's just such a big number in MTG, and it's not a thematically resonant number like 13 or a rounded number like 20.

I think this is the closest I've come:

Word of Replication XUUU
Sorcery
Create X tokens that are a copy of target creature. If X is 8 or greater, instead create two times X tokens that are a copy of target creature.

At its threshold of X=8 (CMC 11), it creates 16 tokens. This thing's got pretty nuts power levels at game-ending CMCs, but I think it's too powerful even for those CMCs. It's also better than Rite of Replication and I'm not comfortable with that. But then, XXUU means at CMC=10 this thing's just creating four tokens and I can't find a way to work sixteen into it in within any CMC relevant to gameplay.

There's also this one:

The First Warren 4RRRR
Enchantment — Saga
I — Create two 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens.
II — Create four 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens.
III — Create eight 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens.
IV — Create sixteen 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens. Creatures you control gain haste and attack this turn if able.

This puts down 30 tokens total. Maybe it will inspire a mono-red control deck??? Somehow I feel it'll be played in mostly-blue decks waiting for this as a potential wincon though.

IIW: Cards that change the target(s) of something on the stack.
I like the idea of the first card, but the numbers don't work in a way that's balanced. At X=2, you've got 5 mana for 2 clones, which is a better rate than any currently printed card, and at X=3 or 4 it gets even sillier. The First Warren is a lot better though; the doubling works out really nicely and it's a big splashy effect, and it feels balanced despite how absurd 16 haste damage is.
Megiddo wrote:
4 years ago
I know you have no way or reason to believe me but google dice roller gave me a 20 first try.

First-Blood Vanguard R
Creature - Goblin Warrior {R}
Haste
As long as an opponent has 20 or more life, First-Blood Vanguard gets +2/+0 and has trample.
1/1

IIW: insects
Man, this card gets way worse on the draw in a format with fetches, shocks or Thoughtseizes. The fact that it only gets the bonus on turn 1/2ish and is a Raging Goblin otherwise makes it pretty unexciting especially for a rare.
haywire wrote:
4 years ago
14... the third worst number I could've gotten. (19 and 17 would be worse imo since they're prime and big, but everything else higher (15,16,18,20) divides nicely down to small numbers (yes, I did put a parenthetical in a parenthetical)).

Rage of the Forest
Sorcery
This spell can't be countered.
Create a 2/2 green Bear creature token, a 3/3 green Boar creature token, a 4/4 green Beast creature token, and a 5/5 green Dinosaur creature token. Then, creatures you control gain vigilance and haste until end of turn. Damage can't be prevented this turn.

(Puts a total of 14 power on the board)
I think I like this more as a Gruul card? Not that green doesn't get haste, but both the name and the creature types push me in that direction (Boars and Dinosaurs feel red as much as they feel green). Otherwise, I like what the card is doing, but I don't think it needs the damage prevention and uncounterable clause. Also, you're missing an IIW.
jamblock wrote:
4 years ago
Rolled a 9

Blessing of the Nine Muses 4GWU
Sorcery (M)
Draw three cards, then put any number of nonland permanents with total converted mana cost 9 or less from your hand onto the battlefield. Exile Blessing on the Nine Muses.

IIW: A nonartifact creature with a usually-artifact creature type
Huh. I think this is fair? You're getting a decent cheat on mana + getting some cards, but you had to pay 7 mana to start, you can't cast other copies of this off the effect (or other spells), and you have to be in three colours. The effect is pretty neat too, and I think it'd be fun to find a way to make this effect worth it.
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Three Heirlooms 3WW
Sorcery (R)
You may put an Aura card, an Equipment card, and a Fortification card from your hand onto the battlefield.
Reinforce 3 - 1W, Sacrifice an artifact or enchantment.
Cho-Thakran's faith in Ramos would never bend. His axe Revengetaker would never dull. His home in Rushwood would never give him up.

IIW: Bandar (i.e. Cat Monkeys from Kaladesh)
Man, it's been a while since I've thought about Fortifications. I feel like this is an interesting enough build-around without the Reinforce, which distracts from the rest of the card and doesn't really mesh well with the flavour I'm getting from the card.
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
4 years ago

By Three They Come 9
Sorcery (M)
Search your library for a card with converted mana cost 10, a card with converted mana cost 11 and a card with converted mana cost 12. Exile them, then shuffle your library. You may play those cards as long as they're exiled, and they cost 6 less to cast.

Unfortunate that Emrakul doesn't cost 12, but you can't win them all.

IIW: a kraken and/or a kraken cult.
There's a lot of clunk going on here. You need a deck that can get to 9 mana, that also contains a 10, 11, and 12 drop, and your plan is to spend your 9 mana on this doing nothing, then spend the next 2 turns casting your bombs? Even if you somehow cheat this out, the deck that can pull this card off probably won't be that effective a lot of the time. This is too niche of a card I think.
HDYWTDT
Show
Hide
WINNER: jamblock!
HM: void_nothing, spacemonaut

NEXT CHALLENGE: A nonartifact creature with a usually-artifact creature type.
"Image"

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Ah, balance is restored and the challenge is good.

Plus add another HM to my pile
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Gnome:
Tinker Gnomes 1W
Creature — Gnome Artificer
1, T, Sacrifice an artifact: Search your library for an artifact card with converted mana cost X or less, where X is 1 plus the sacrificed artifact's converted mana cost. Put that card onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
1/1
"Look! We added a flamethrower, for roasting chestnuts!"

(Could also be red; I'm not sure which one it should be.)

IIW: A tokenlink ability like Earl of Squirrel's squirrellink.
Last edited by spacemonaut 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

wizyard
Pronoun: they / them

Post by wizyard » 4 years ago

gnome's a good one

Flesh Golem UBB
Creature - Golem (R)
As Flesh Golem enters the battlefield, exile a creature card from each player's graveyard.
Flesh Golem's power is equal to the combined power of all cards exiled with it.
Flesh Golem's toughness is equal to the combined toughness of all cards exiled with it.
0/0

iiw: a red/blue keyword that could be evergreen

Megiddo
MEG
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Megiddo » 4 years ago

Mishra's Foreman 2U
Creature — Human Assembly-Worker {R}
If an effect would create one or more Assembly-Worker creature tokens under your control, it creates twice that many of those tokens instead.
Tap two untapped Assembly-Workers you control: Add CC.
Never one for small talk or office politics, Hildur was happy to have found a job without either.
2/2

IIW: One of the remaining Noun and Noun swords (there are three left: UB, RG, and GW)
MEG

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 4 years ago

Barkbones, protector of Kessig 3GG
Creature - Treefolk Construct {R}
Trample, Vigilance
Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on target human you control. If that land was a forest, put a +1/+1 counter on Barkbones as well.
Created by a child to protect her yard, Barkbones quickly found himself protecting more and more
5/5

IIW: Design an Oko that isn't Broko
Last edited by chetoos 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 4 years ago

Thunderous Fieldhand RG
Creature - Ogre Scarecrow (C)
Thunderous Fieldhand can't attack unless you control six or more lands.
"At least he's good for something."
4/4

IIW: There's a new mobile game where they turn unexpected things into cute girls. This time, it's Auras from Magic the Gathering! Make a card representing one of the previously-aura-now-creature creatures.

Megiddo
MEG

imagine here i entered a doomed dissenter variant that's a non-artifact Golem that makes an artifact Golem token when it dies. the IIW would be something exciting, but entry so pedestrian that it will never be picked.
MEG

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Golem Made of Mud That Hasn't Quite Been Fired Yet 2R
Creature - Elemental Golem (C)

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

In case anyone's struggling, the artifact creature page on MTG wiki lists a few!

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Primordial Discovery 2W
Instant
Create three 1/1 white Blinkmoth creature tokens with flying and "When this creature dies, create a 1/1 colorless Blinkmoth artifact creature token with flying."
It took a single piece of amber found and cracked, and an ancient stowaway was suddenly unleashed upon the world of its descendents once more.

IIW: A tokenlink ability like Earl of Squirrel's squirrellink.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Array of Chariotry 2WW
Creature - Horse Juggernaut (U)
Array of Chariotry can't be blocked except by equipped creatures or Vehicles.
Whenever Array of Chariotry deals combat damage to a player, you may pay WW. If you do, create your choice of a 1/3 white Dwarf Archer creature token with reach or a 3/1 white Dwarf Knight creature token with vigilance.
Dwarves do not trust mounts as a rule. But axels and armored platforms, these they understand.
3/3

IIW: Nonflying Birds

Stapler
is a liar

Post by Stapler » 4 years ago

Time 2UU
Legendary Creature - Construct (M)
Flying
Whenever a player casts a spell or a creature attacks, and at the beginning of each upkeep, put an hour counter on Time.
When the twenty-fourth hour counter is put on Time, exile Time, then restart the game, leaving Time in exile. Then put Time onto the battlefield under your control.
"It's all, like, relative, man."
2/4

IIW: Deconstruct reality.
Last edited by Stapler 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
"Image"

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Pesticore
3BB
Creature - Masticore (R)
Wither
At the beginning of your upkeep, discard a card or sacrifice Pesticore.
2BB: Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature.
4/4

IIW: Things that should not be.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 4 years ago

Propagating Pest RG
Creature — Pest (R)
Whenever another nontoken creature enters the battlefield, create a token copy of Propagating Pest.
Sacrifice a Pest: Propagating Pest deals damage to any target equal to the number of Pests you control.
0/2

IIW: The Lost Saga of Fblthp
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

Megiddo
MEG

i wanted to do pinchers but those aren't artifacts.
MEG

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

But the Spawning Pit Spawns are

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

three days, ten entries, that surely is enough right

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 4 years ago

Eternity Forager 2G
Creature - Prism (U)
Devoid (This card has no color.)
T: Add one mana of any type.
2/3

Eternity Bastion 2WW
Creature - Prism (R)
Vigilance
Whenever Eternity Bastion attacks, you may discard a colorless card. If you do, creatures you control get +1/+1 until the beginning of your next turn.
2/5

Eternity Visionary 1UU
Creature - Prism (R)
Flying
Whenever Eternity Visionary attacks, you may discard a colorless card. If you do, look at the top three cards of your library, put one into your hand, then put the other two on the bottom of your library in any order.
3/3

Eternity Gorger 3BB
Creature - Prism (R)
Lifelink
Whenever Eternity Gorger attacks, you may discard a colorless card. If you do, choose target instant or sorcery card in a graveyard and cast it without paying its mana cost, then you lose life equal to its converted mana cost. If that card would be put into a graveyard this turn, exile it instead.
4/3

Eternity Ravager 3RR
Creature - Prism (R)
Haste
Whenever Eternity Ravager attacks, you may discard a colorless card. If you do, target creature can't block this turn and Eternity Ravager deals 2 damage to that creature's controller.
5/2

Eternity Nourisher 4GG
Creature - Prism (R)
Trample
Whenever Eternity Nourisher attacks, you may discard a colorless card. If you do, return a permanent card that shares a card type with the discarded card from your graveyard to your hand.
5/5

IIW: Ouroboros
Last edited by Cythare 4 years ago, edited 6 times in total.
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Megiddo
MEG

@jamblock
MEG

Togs

Post by Togs » 4 years ago

Gnome Squadron 1G
Creature - Gnome (C)
T: Add G.
T: Put a card named Gnome Squadron from your hand onto the battlefield. It gains haste until end of turn.
0/2

IIW: Revenge of the gnomes

jamblock

Post by jamblock » 4 years ago

Sorry, Valentine weekend. Here we go:

Togs: An interesting idea but you need things to line up really well for this to be a better card than other things that fill similar roles.

Cythare: This is a lot of cards. Overall, this feels like a cool creature type for devoid but I'm not feeling a ton of cohesive identity.

Sojourner: This feels like it gets out of hand very very fast, since it counts everyone's stuff. It might be too powerful, but then again it does start as an 0/2. Fun idea.

Krishnath: A fun rare, that honestly feels like it could be balanced without the drawback, so maybe its overcosted these days.

Stapler: I like this as a gimmick, it's very clever, but I would hate to have it exist as a card!

void_nothing: This makes me laugh and smile, but the thing I can't get past is that it does just sort of FEEL like an artifact, even though it technically isn't.

spacemount: This might be too good. Things that replace themselves are no joke, and this is an intense effect for token decks.

NinjaCaterpie: I like this a lot, but it being a 4/4 blocker for 2 at common is a bit much. Slap one more on that mana cost and maybe give it another ability and then we are talking.

Chetoos: I like it in theory but I'm not necessarily feeling the construct flavor, but the flavor text helps.

Megiddo: Interesting and flavorful, and obviously very narrow. Makes me wish more existed.

wizyard: This is a fun card but seems maybe too easy to abuse?

WINNER: sojourner

NEXT: The Lost Saga of Fblthp

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

jamblock wrote:
4 years ago
spacemount: This might be too good. Things that replace themselves are no joke, and this is an intense effect for token decks.
fair! That sounds like it's Primordial Discovery; I'm curious what your take is on Tinker Gnomes.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”