NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

scarbo
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by scarbo » 4 years ago

for shame, @Legend, for shame

Sidisi's Council bgu
Creature - Naga Noble (R)
Tap two untapped creatures you control: Put the top two cards of target player's library into their graveyard.
t: Exile target card from a graveyard. You gain 1 life, its owner loses 1 life, and you add one mana of any color.
3/4

IIW: pay homage to a card currently banned in modern
Last edited by scarbo 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

TacticalCelebrant

Post by TacticalCelebrant » 4 years ago

Shambling Bramble
Creature - Plant Horror (R)
When Shambling Bramble enters the battlefield, put the top three cards of your library into your graveyard.
When Shambling Bramble attacks, you may exile target card in a graveyard.
When Shambling Bramble dies, you may choose a card you own from outside the game and put it into your hand.
3/4

IIW: Vehicles and colored mana symbols.

Stapler
is a liar
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Stapler » 4 years ago

Vizkopa Flagellant 1WB
Creature - Human Cleric (U)
Lifelink
Whenever Vizkopa Flagellant attacks, it deals damage to itself equal to its power.
3/4

IIW: Ikoria-themed creature type fusions (i.e. Wolf Shark).
"Image"

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 4 years ago

Phyrexian Legate 3BB
Creature - Horror Cleric (U)
Infect
If an opponent has three or more poison counters, you may cast Phyrexian Legate without paying its mana cost. If you do, each opponent loses three poison counters and you get three poison counters.
3/4

IIW: A cmc 4 creature.
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 4 years ago

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?
Legend wrote:
4 years ago
Ninja: Mr. Plagius isn't exactly an "internet pop culture slang/meme/buzzword"
I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you.

It's a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life... He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying. The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.

He became so powerful... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. It's ironic - he could save others from death, but not himself.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

My one issue with the Plagueis card was that Plagueis wasn't human, he was Muun.

No really
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

w0mbat

Post by w0mbat » 4 years ago

Aetherbond Mystic
Creature - Elf Druid {R}
Aetherbond Mystic enters the battlefield with three -1/-1 counters on it.
, Remove a -1/-1 counter from Aetherbond Mystic: Add . You get (an energy counter).
, Pay : Put three -1/-1 counters on target creature. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
3/4

IIW: A hate-bear

haywire

Post by haywire » 4 years ago

Garro, the Warmonger 3RR
Legendary creature - Ape Warrior
First strike, haste
Other Apes you control get +0/+1 and have first strike and haste.
3RR, : Each creature deals damage to itself equal to its power.
3/4

IIW:double-sided cards with different types on each face

NinjaCaterpie

pretty good turnout

this time i won't forget to judge

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Magnetispin Weird 3{U/R}{U/R}
Creature - Weird (U)
Flying
If Magnetispin Weird's power and toughness would be switched, instead put two +1/+1 counters on it.
Both sides constantly repel, building up counterrotation.
3/4

IIW: Hybrid mana symbols in the text of monocolor cards
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 4 years ago

Temur Battle Rager 2RR
Creature - Human Shaman
1R, T: Activate this ability only before combat. Target creature you control gains double strike until end of turn. Ferocious — That creature also gains trample until end of turn if you control a creature with power 4 or greater.
If only he could harness the powers of ember.
3/4

IIW: Create a card based on your favorite pokemon.

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 4 years ago

NinjaCaterpie wrote:
4 years ago
pretty good turnout

this time i won't forget to judge
ya ok
MEG

scarbo

reply # 1337 nice

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Judge?

NinjaCaterpie

ok so you won't believe this, but I may have forgotten slightly.

less than a day after the last entry is pretty good though

Legend / Survey Drone: I like the concept a lot, but the numbers are hard to gauge. Potentially spooky in a format with Duals. I rate 2/4 On another note, I initially misread this as lose life equal to Domain, which would have been beyond nuts.
scarbo / Sidisi's Council: This card is very soup. It feels like it's trying to do a lot, and none of it looks impressive, especially at rare. I rate it a 1/4
TacticalCelebrant / Shambling Bramble: I don't know if that last ability fits in hybrid b/g but it's certainly interesting. I don't quite get the flavour though. I rate it a 2/4
Stapler / Vizkopa Flagellant: Neat. Bonus points for making the 3/4 meaningful. This one's worth a 3/4.
Cythare / Phyrexian Legate: Boy this is a weird one. Free feels dangerous - isn't thise close to "you may have a player gain 6 life instead of paying ~"? I think this one's a 2/4
w0mbat / Aetherbond Mystic: This seems good. Mana + energy + removal + can turn into a beatstick seems preeetty good. I think the removal ability is pulling it to do too many things. 1/4
haywire / Garro, the Warmonger: It's very weird to see a mono-R creature give a mono-toughness boost. Repeatable self-slapping seems strong too. 1/4
void_nothing / Magnetispin Weird: this card is so great but so hilariously niche. I love it but it might've been more relevant as a Weird lord. Still gets a solid 3/4.
chetoos / Temur Battle Rager: aha, I get it, it's a person who Temur Battle Rages. Decent use of a 3/4 but it's not a particularly inspired card. 2/4

The winner is Stapler who scored a perfect 3/4. Honorable to void_nothing.

Next challenge: Ikoria-themed creature type fusions (i.e. Wolf Shark).

w0mbat

Post by w0mbat » 4 years ago

Ursine Spike-Tail
Creature - Dragon Bear {R}
At the beginning of combat on your turn, put a +1/+1 counter on Ursine Spike-Tail. Then for each +1/+1 counter on it, you may have it gain your choice of haste, flying, first strike, trample, vigilance, hexproof, or menace until end of turn.
2/2

IIW: Pox-like cards

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 4 years ago

Woolfish (Uncommon)
1GU
Creature - Fish Wolf
5/4
Whenever Woolfish attacks, target opponent* creates a 0/1 white Sheep creature token.

IIW: a non-Equipment card that creates one or more 0/0 black Germ creature token(s)

*Think Commander. 🙂
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 4 years ago

Giant Brushwagg 2GG
Creature — Brushwagg Pincher {U}
Whenever Giant Brushwagg blocks or becomes blocked, it gets -2/+2 until end of turn.
Whenever a creature blocking or blocked by Giant Brushwagg dies, untap Giant Brushwagg.
4/4

I'm excited for the return of Brushwaggs.

IIW: a "cog" or similar (artifact that would have been in fifth dawn or kaladesh).
MEG

scarbo

Flue Fiend 4b
Creature - Jackal Imp (U)
Flying, menace
r: Flue Fiend gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
Whenever a creature with flying dies, its controller puts a card from their hand on top of their library.
1/3

IIW: a mono-colored card with one if its enemy-color mana symbols in its rules text (like Quenchable Fire)

TacticalCelebrant

Post by TacticalCelebrant » 4 years ago

Shelldiver 1GU
Creature - Turtle Bat (U)
Flying
t: Shelldiver loses flying until end of turn, then fights target creature an opponent controls. Shelldiver doesn't untap during your next untap step.
1/4

IIW: Vehicles and colored mana.

chetoos

Dextrous Climber 1RG
Creature - Spider Monkey (U)
Reach
Whenever a creature with flying an opponent controls dies, put a +1/+1 counter on dextrous climber
2/3

IIW: Choose a card from a recent set (anything released after guilds of ravnica. reprints from standard sets are fine, but for something like commander etc, only if new art) and make a new card based on the art.

chetoos

Silver bordered entry for April Fools!
Priscilla, queen of the lab 3GW
Legendary Creature - Monkey Fish Dragon (Rare)
(Crossbreed labs watermark)
Dice you roll count as 1 higher for each creature you control with augment plus each host creature you control.
Whenever you roll a 6 or higher on a dice, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control.
"We may not have been meant to fly originally, but how about now?"
3/5

IIW: Design a card based on your favorite pokemon.
Last edited by chetoos 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Skypouncer 1WW
Creature - Cat Bird (C)
Flying
Whenever Skypouncer blocks or becomes blocked by a creature with flying or reach, it gains first strike until end of turn.
2/1

IIW: A 4-cmc creature
Level 2 Judge circa 2016

Stapler
is a liar

Post by Stapler » 4 years ago

HIPPO + GUPPY
Show
Hide
w0mbat wrote:
4 years ago
Ursine Spike-Tail
Creature - Dragon Bear {R}
At the beginning of combat on your turn, put a +1/+1 counter on Ursine Spike-Tail. Then for each +1/+1 counter on it, you may have it gain your choice of haste, flying, first strike, trample, vigilance, hexproof, or menace until end of turn.
2/2

IIW: Pox-like cards
There's a lot I like about the card, but also a lot of things I find questionable. For a three-colour card (which this card likely shouldn't be; Gruul, or even mono-G with some alterations to the keyword choices would work fine), this card is really weak for the first two turns it's out there; turn 1 the best it can be is a 3/3 haste for 5, and turn 2 it becomes slightly more reasonable but still not impressive. It takes 3 turns for this to be at all exciting, but for a 5-drop that's just not good enough. Once you do reach turn 3, I think you just always pick first strike + deathtouch + trample as that makes it essentially unkillable and prevents your opponent from chumping effectively; one of those 3 keywords (probably deathtouch) needs to go. Hexproof can likely go too since the use case for it is extremely narrow compared to the others. Finally I think it should come with either haste or flying naturally, since the "Dragon" part of the card isn't really there. Removing haste from the pool of choices is elegant since you basically only ever pick that for the first turn, but flying would connect it more to being a Dragon, so *shrug*. All that said, I do like how it offers a lot of choices, has lots of build-around potential, and avoids having memory issues by having the keywords only last until end of turn.
Legend wrote:
4 years ago
Woolfish (Uncommon)
1GU
Creature - Fish Wolf
5/4
Whenever Woolfish attacks, target opponent* creates a 0/1 white Sheep creature token.

IIW: a non-Equipment card that creates one or more 0/0 black Germ creature token(s)

*Think Commander. 🙂
You say "think Commander", but a 3 mana 5/4 vanilla even with no downside is unplayable at most Commander tables nowadays, especially in Simic colours. Woolly Thoctar was never a commander staple, and it's not just because it's limited to Naya. I'm not saying you wouldn't play it ever - giving your opponent tokens (Revel in Riches) and having efficient cost-to-power ratio creatures (Varolz, the Scar-Striped) are both useful effects - they're just incredibly limited and far too niche. Even as a political tool, giving out 0/1s is so marginal it's not worth spending a card for this. This card is WAY more interesting in 1v1, as it's essentially a 5/4 defender for 3 mana, which is playable in limited, but if you can give it evasion like trample or flying it suddenly becomes a monster. Coincidentally, with the speculation that keyword counters might be in Ikoria, I could see this being a strong build-around piece in a UG "keyword counter" deck that might exist in that limited format (SPOILERS for a potential leak, but using the Godzilla with cycling to put a trample counter on this is pretty neat). Maybe that's too swingy for limited, IDK, but regardless I like the card and hate you for the name.
Megiddo wrote:
4 years ago
Giant Brushwagg 2GG
Creature — Brushwagg Pincher {U}
Whenever Giant Brushwagg blocks or becomes blocked, it gets -2/+2 until end of turn.
Whenever a creature blocking or blocked by Giant Brushwagg dies, untap Giant Brushwagg.
4/4

I'm excited for the return of Brushwaggs.

IIW: a "cog" or similar (artifact that would have been in fifth dawn or kaladesh).
Definitely didn't expect this combination of creature types and abilities when I thought of this challenge. It's ultimately just bigger Brushwagg with minor trinket text that's unlikely to matter that often, and while that's reasonable in limited, it isn't that exciting, and I'm not thrilled to be playing a 4-drop that gets stonewalled by a Maritime Guard. It's fun that running over something lets it keep "rolling" on your opponent's turn, but it isn't quite a perfect flavour match IMO.
scarbo wrote:
4 years ago
Flue Fiend 4b
Creature - Jackal Imp (U)
Flying, menace
r: Flue Fiend gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
Whenever a creature with flying dies, its controller puts a card from their hand on top of their library.
1/3

IIW: a mono-colored card with one if its enemy-color mana symbols in its rules text (like Quenchable Fire)
Chimney Imp + Jackal Pup but with some twists? I can dig it. As much as I appreciate the mana cost, I do feel like the card costs way too much for how punishing it is to have this get killed before you get to at least attack with it. Ultimately this card is making some cute references but the overall package will play out a little too vanilla in most games.
TacticalCelebrant wrote:
4 years ago
Shelldiver 1GU
Creature - Turtle Bat (U)
Flying
t: Shelldiver loses flying until end of turn, then fights target creature an opponent controls. Shelldiver doesn't untap during your next untap step.
1/4

IIW: Vehicles and colored mana.
Probably my favourite creature type fusion of the bunch, and you nailed the flavour of the fusion pretty well. There's really no reason this needs to lose flying at all aside from flavour, and I'm fine with trinket flavour text, but it's a lot better when the trinket text has a reasonable chance to ever matter. The fight ability is fairly limited on its own, though with buffs it can get out of hand, but the untap clause helps ensure the opponent has a reprieve from devastation if you can get this going. I was initially put off about this being a 1/4, but in the right limited format with the right support cards this can be a real monster, so I think I'm in for Turtle Bat.
chetoos wrote:
4 years ago
Dextrous Climber 1RG
Creature - Spider Monkey (U)
Reach
Whenever a creature with flying an opponent controls dies, put a +1/+1 counter on dextrous climber
2/3

IIW: Choose a card from a recent set (anything released after guilds of ravnica. reprints from standard sets are fine, but for something like commander etc, only if new art) and make a new card based on the art.
I do like the real-life animal pun as a creature type line, and a Spider Monkey is definitely a piece of MTG art I'd love to see, but the overall package here is pretty underwhelming. Being reliant on your opponent playing fliers makes this card fairly situational, especially for a multicolour card, and the reward in limited for going Gruul being a slightly large blocker is disappointing. The flavour of the card is there, but not very strong, and if you told me this card was a Spider and not a Monkey I'd have no trouble believing you.
chetoos wrote:
4 years ago
Silver bordered entry for April Fools!
Priscilla, queen of the lab 3GW
Legendary Creature - Monkey Fish Dragon (Rare)
(Crossbreed labs watermark)
Dice you roll count as 1 higher for each creature you control with augment plus each host creature you control.
Whenever you roll a 6 or higher on a dice, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control.
"We may not have been meant to fly originally, but how about now?"
3/5

IIW: Design a card based on your favorite pokemon.
Even in Un-land, building a deck to support this is a pretty tall order. While there are hosts and augments that support Dice, getting all of that together at once is a real challenge, and the payoff you get for it is decent but not amazing. I also don't really understand the combination of flavour text, types and mechanics, but I might be missing something (I know Priscilla from Dark Souls but this doesn't seem to represent her that well).
Cythare wrote:
4 years ago
Skypouncer 1WW
Creature - Cat Bird (C)
Flying
Whenever Skypouncer blocks or becomes blocked by a creature with flying or reach, it gains first strike until end of turn.
2/1

I swear I remember this card being posted before. :hmm: Regardless, the flavour is very cute, though triggering off reach is somewhat strange (I understand Spiders are Birds' prey, but Archers and Giants aren't), and will often be somewhat irrelevant as most reach creatures have 3 or more toughness. It's fine limited filler but the flavour isn't enough to pull me in.
= HIPPY
Show
Hide
Winner: @TacticalCelebrant!
HM: @Legend for accidentally making a fun limited build around while designing a card for EDH.

NEXT CHALLENGE: Vehicles and colored mana.
"Image"

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Godzilla Cannon 2RG
Tribal Artifact - Lizard Vehicle (R)
Mutate 1RG (If you cast this spell for its mutate cost, put it over or under target non-Human creature you own. They mutate into the creature on top plus all abilities from under it.)
Haste
Whenever Godzilla Cannon attacks, it deals X damage to target creature defending player controls, where X is the total power of tapped creatures you control.
Crew 2
4/4

Level 2 Judge circa 2016

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”