NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Sporegorger_Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

Eliminate Options
3u
Instant (C)
Cleave 1uu
Counter target spell [unless its controller pays 3].
[Draw a card.]

Cull
b
Sorcery (C)
Cleave 2bb
Destroy target creature or planeswalker [you control].

Big Nepenthes Tree
g
Creature - Plant (C)
Cleave 3g
Reach
[Big Nepenthes Tree can't attack or block.]
3/5
Unless it's regularly trimmed, it eventually takes root in one spot permanently.

IIW: Fungus
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Juancu
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Juancu » 2 years ago

Awful, Awful Choices 2B
Sorcery (C)
Kicker 1B - If you kicked this spell, ignore any number of text in brackets.
Cleave 1B
[Choose two:]
- [Draw a card] If you've drawn two or more cards this turn, [discard a card.
- Sacrifice a creature. If you do,] each opponent sacrifices a creature[.
- You discard a card.][ If a player did, gain 4 life] and you scry 2.

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 2 years ago

time to cut this challenge off

i'll judge tomorrow morning

Phyrexian Editor

Post by Phyrexian Editor » 2 years ago

Arcane Cloak w
Instant {u}
Cleave 2uu
[Put a +1/+1] counter [on] target creature[. The next time you cast a] spell [targeting that creature this turn], draw a card.

IIW: I won't but uhhhh make a big fish that wants to be your friend

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 2 years ago

I [was going to do a] co[mplex meme j]u[dging where I c]l[eave]d [every respo]n[se. I]t [would have] be[en hilarious or something] b[ut] other [things cam]e [up (like work) an]d [in the end, ]
Cleave 0
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader wrote:
2 years ago
Carving Charm 1RG
Instant (R)
Cleave 4BBB
[Choose one-]
-Destroy [target artifact or ench]a[ntment.
-The next spe]ll [you cast this turn costs 3RG less.
-Carving Charm deals 4 damage to target ]creature[ or plane]s[walker.]

IIW: Cost reduction
Atrocious. The cleave mode seems like a bit of a meme given how versatile the rest of the card is, too.
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
Unprintable or too tame
Show
Hide
Mass Acceleration 2R
Instant (U)
Cleave 5R
Creatures you control gain double [first] strike until end of turn. (Multiple instances of first strike do nothing extra.)

Probably unprintable because of the different languages, so I'll try again.

Cheat 2B
Sorcery (R)
Cleave 6BB
Search your library for a card, then [shuffle your library and] put that card on top.

This one doesn't have language problems (I presume), but it's still probably unprintable due to searching/ordering undefined rules. Third try:

Cooking Four Primates 6GW
Sorcery (R)
Cleave - 2GG
Create a 8/8 green Ape creature token [with Trample, a Food token, and four 1/1 white Human Monk creatures] with Defender.
"A slow and methodical Field Cook becomes one with their diner."
Overeager Welding 6U
Sorcery
Cleave -
Create a 1/1 colorless Construct [artifact creature token, a] Food [token, a] Clue [token, a] Treasure [token, and a] Blood [token, and a 1/1 colorless] Thopter artifact creature token with Flying.
"Gizdo, go fetch me a.... Oh."

IIW: the pinnacle of its evolution
Cheat is quite cute, actually. That seems like something that might exist in silver border.
Overeager Welding is something, for sure. It's funny, mostly functional, but also utterly terrible. Probably shouldn't be monoblue though...
chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
Seraph's Kiss 1WW
Sorcery
Cleave WW
[target creature ]you [control] gain[s lifelink and gets +0/+] 4[until end of turn. Until end of turn, whenever you gain] life[, you may pay 2]. [If you do,] draw a card.

IIW: Base a card on a psychonauts enemy
Bonus points for splicing the
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
I know cleave's been printed only on instants and sorceries so far, but based on rulings from text-altering spells/abilities, any changes to the text of the spell on stack should also carry over to the permanent that it becomes.

Pitcher-Drop Nepenthes
3bgu
Creature - Plant (R)
Cleave 2g
When Pitcher-Drop Nepenthes enters the battlefield, create a 0/1 green Plant creature token [for each land you control], a 1/1 green Saproling creature token [for each creature card in your graveyard], and a 1/1 blue and black Insect creature token [with flying for each card in your hand].
1/1

[Cutting-]Grafted Nepenthes
1bgu
[Host] Creature - Plant (U)
Cleave 1g
Reach
When [Cutting-]Grafted Nepenthes enters the battlefield, create a 0/1 green Plant creature token, [then create an X/X black, green, and blue Plant creature token named Nepenthes Pitcher-Plant, where X is the number of Plants you control plus the number of Plant cards in your graveyard].
1/2
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Edit: Basically, if you pay the cleave cost, it's no longer a host and can't be augmented, and its name changes as well.

Air-Layered Nepenthes
2gg
Creature - Plant (C)
Cleave 3bgu
When Air-Layered Nepenthes enters the battlefield, [you may sacrifice it. If you do,] create an X/X black, green, and blue Plant creature token named Nepenthes Pitcher-Plant, where X is the number of Plants you control plus the number of Plant cards in your graveyard.
3/4

Pitcher-Drop is quite interesting, actually, and I wouldn't necessarily call it atrocious, aside from the fact that making three different tokens is questionable in general. Losing flying is definitely a bit unintuitive too.
I'm not even going to read the Host.
Air-Layered Nepenthes is just evoke with extra steps.
Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
[Stagger]shock 2R
Instant (U)
Cleave R
[Stagger]shock deals 2 damage to any target.
[Rebound (If you cast this spell from your hand, exile it as it resolves. At the beginning of your next upkeep, you may cast this card from exile without paying its mana cost.)]

IIW: A green vampire
Yes
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Butcher's Chop 1BB
Instant (R)
Cleave B
[Destroy target creature.] Create a food token.
"I got the pork chop at the butcher's shop in the 8th District but man that place was sketchy'

IIW: Designer's choice
Good pun. Poor usage of cleave (by WotC's design guidelines), but not atrocious.
Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
[Yamazaki and] The Thousand Heirs 2RR
[Legendary] Creature — Human Samurai (C)
Cleave 1R
[Haste, trample]
[Yamazaki and] The Thousand Heirs gets +1/+1 for each other creature named The Thousand Heirs you control.
2/2

IIW: A monoblue treefolk
No.
Pygyzy wrote:
2 years ago
Reskin UU
Instant (R)
Cleave target spell's text box.
Yugi-OH!?

The art depicts a Magic cards face being torn off to reveal a Pokemon card underneath.

Iiw: Gleemax is elected president in the 2024 campaign. Magic cards are now the official currency. Due to a printing error, every set printed for an entire year contained only Colossal Dreadmaws and Negates, tanking the US economy. To fix the problem, the Federal Reserve must issue the most expensive card ever printed. Submit a card to save the USA.
Does this let you cleave whichever parts you like?
2 years ago
Eliminate Options
3u
Instant (C)
Cleave 1uu
Counter target spell [unless its controller pays 3].
[Draw a card.]

Cull
b
Sorcery (C)
Cleave 2bb
Destroy target creature or planeswalker [you control].

Big Nepenthes Tree
g
Creature - Plant (C)
Cleave 3g
Reach
[Big Nepenthes Tree can't attack or block.]
3/5
Unless it's regularly trimmed, it eventually takes root in one spot permanently.

These look suspiciously like normal usages of cleave.
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
Awful, Awful Choices 2B
Sorcery (C)
Kicker 1B - If you kicked this spell, ignore any number of text in brackets.
Cleave 1B
[Choose two:]
- [Draw a card] If you've drawn two or more cards this turn, [discard a card.
- Sacrifice a creature. If you do,] each opponent sacrifices a creature[.
- You discard a card.][ If a player did, gain 4 life] and you scry 2.
Kicleave. That's even worse than I was expecting, to be honest. What version of the kicked form is even remotely useful? 5 mana draw a card and each opponent sacrifices a creature?

Oh it's a common.
Phyrexian Editor wrote:
2 years ago
Arcane Cloak w
Instant {u}
Cleave 2uu
[Put a +1/+1] counter [on] target creature[. The next time you cast a] spell [targeting that creature this turn], draw a card.

IIW: I won't but uhhhh make a big fish that wants to be your friend
Ah yes, Ambiguity. Lovely but unprintable.
Winner is Juancu for Cheat.
HM:
- Sporegorger, for recognising that all usages of cleave are atrocious.
- Myself for reading all these cards
DM:
- Everyone else.

Next: the pinnacle of its evolution

Sporegorger_Dragon

NinjaCaterpie wrote:
2 years ago
Losing flying is definitely a bit unintuitive too.
The cleave cost omits and , that's why.
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
2 years ago
I'm not even going to read the Host.
:P :rofl:
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
2 years ago
Air-Layered Nepenthes is just evoke with extra steps.
You get three options;
1-Get the token only for 2gg.
2-Get just a 3/4 (without the token) for 2gg.
3-Get both the 3/4 and the token for the cleave cost.

Juancu

(Think Nazi scientist splicing genomes to create the ultimate lifeform. Or the campiest horror concept. Something like flying piranhas, sharktopus, etc.)

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

Evolving Krasis URG
Creature - Lizard Beast Fish Mutant (R)
Flying, Haste, Trample
Each nonhuman creature card in your hand has Mutate. The mutate cost is equal to their mana cost.
Whenever Evolving Krasis becomes the target of a spell or an ability, if you control the spell or ability put a +1/+1 counter on it. If an opponent controls the spell or ability, you may draw a card.
1/3

IIW: Mutate
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 2 years ago

Hybridizing Kudzu
Land Creature — Plant (R)
Hybridizing Kudzu enters the battlefield tapped and doesn't untap during your untap step.
Landfall — Whenever another land enters the battlefield under your control, untap Hybridizing Kudzu and put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Hybridizing Kudzu has all activated abilities of other lands on the battlefield.
1/1

IIW: A monogreen vampire
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 2 years ago

@NinjaCaterpie Yes and no. It's silver border so I go by whatever you think. I went for brevity instead of explanatory but I just did it mostly for the joke and didn't think about it a whole lot. XD

Slithering Mass 4bg
Creature - Ooze Snake (R)
Slithering Mass enters the battlefield with six progeny counters on it.
X, Remove X progeny counters from Slithering Mass: Distribute X progeny counters among any number of target creatures.
Whenever a creature with a progeny counter on it dies, for each progeny counters on it, create a 1/1 black and green Ooze Snake creature token with "When this creature dies, put a progeny counter on target creature.".
Killing it only makes more.
6/6

Iiw: In the near future, Magic cards gained sentience and are the last hope for humanity against the ruthless God Emperor Gleemax. Top Magic Scientists are working on creating the ultimate card, more powerful than Gleemax himself, but they only have one shot. Submit a card to save the world.
Last edited by Pygyzy 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Vorinclex, End of Evolution
5bggu
Legendary Creature - Phyrexian Praetor (M)
Trample, indestructible
If you would put one or more counters on a permanent or player, put triple that many of each of those kinds of counters on that permanent or player instead.
If an opponent would put one or more counters on a permanent or player, they put none instead.
8/7
The end of everything.

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 2 years ago

Kraj II 2UUG
Legendary Creature — Wolf Fish Lizard {M}
Flying
Evolve
At the beginning of each combat, each creature's base power becomes 0.
6/6

IIW: "rather than pay"
MEG

Juancu

Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Evolving Krasis URG
Creature - Lizard Beast Fish Mutant (R)
Flying, Haste, Trample
Each nonhuman creature card in your hand has Mutate. The mutate cost is equal to their mana cost.
Whenever Evolving Krasis becomes the target of a spell or an ability, if you control the spell or ability put a +1/+1 counter on it. If an opponent controls the spell or ability, you may draw a card.
1/3
I wonder why we didn't see this in ikoria, could it be that it breaks something? Maybe not in paper, but I'm guessing it could cause troubles digitally, as every non-human creature ability could be mixed with every other. This is what got a single card in all of Gloomhaven altered in the digital version. Is not that they couldn't make it, it just would have been too much to test for.
Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
Hybridizing Kudzu
Land Creature — Plant (R)
Hybridizing Kudzu enters the battlefield tapped and doesn't untap during your untap step.
Landfall — Whenever another land enters the battlefield under your control, untap Hybridizing Kudzu and put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Hybridizing Kudzu has all activated abilities of other lands on the battlefield.
1/1
This is certainly the pinnacle of Dryad Arbors. It's not that the Arbor was too powerful, and this can't be Green Sun's Zenithed, so I think it has an ok power level.
Pygyzy wrote:
2 years ago
Slithering Mass 4bg
Creature - Ooze Snake (R)
Slithering Mass enters the battlefield with six progeny counters on it.
X, Remove X progeny counters from Slithering Mass: Distribute X progeny counters among any number of target creatures.
Whenever a creature with a progeny counter on it dies, for each progeny counters on it, create a 1/1 black and green Ooze Snake creature token with "When this creature dies, put a progeny counter on target creature.".
Killing it only makes more.
6/6
I was kinda weirded at first, because not many things work this way, but I think this could be a fun "lord of the unkillable 1/1s", as long as you had the mana (and this manages to survive of course.)
2 years ago
Vorinclex, End of Evolution
5bggu
Legendary Creature - Phyrexian Praetor (M)
Trample, indestructible
If you would put one or more counters on a permanent or player, put triple that many of each of those kinds of counters on that permanent or player instead.
If an opponent would put one or more counters on a permanent or player, they put none instead.
8/7
The end of everything.
Pinacle Vorinclex, although not that much inspired I must say. Bigger and tougher to kill, and its ability gets more geometric, but the seconds stays the same. How about "If an opponent would put one or more counters, you may move them into a permanent you control." That way everything is greater.
Megiddo wrote:
2 years ago
Kraj II 2UUG
Legendary Creature — Wolf Fish Lizard {M}
Flying
Evolve
At the beginning of each combat, each creature's base power becomes 0.
6/6
Interesting, this evolves almost everything, and then almost everything evolves this (and other creatures you control that haven't evolved too much.) The only problem I see is that for 5 mana, it negates too many opposing decks. Sure, in limited you can expect to lose to mythic bombs if you lack removal, but I feel too many decks would go "welp, I was super ahead, and now I can't win anymore" if their removal is pacifisms / auras / 5 damages / fighting with medium creatures.

Hms: Ulka and Pygyzy, for clever designs.
Winner: Megiddo, I'm also a fan of simple lines with deeper implications.

Next: "rather than pay"

Megiddo
MEG

yeah, good point. it should cost more / be harder to cast.
MEG

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 2 years ago

Pulsemage Revivalist 2WW
Creature — Human Cleric (R)
You may return two cards in each opponent's graveyard to their hand rather than pay the mana cost for activated abilities of creatures you control.
3WW, T: Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield. If no mana was spent to activate this ability, put a lifelink counter on it.
2/4

Last edited by Cythare 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 2 years ago

Galbatorix, insidious King 3UBR
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard
You may give a creature you control -1/-1 until end of turn rather than pay 1 when you cast a spell.
Spells you control can't be countered.
An expert in breaking into people's minds, Galbatorix took control of Alagaesia after destroying the order of Dragon Riders.
5/5

IIW: Large Green Creatures

Ulka

Pearl of Power 4
Artifact (M)
At the beginning of your upkeep, target instant or sorcery card with mana value 3 or less gains flashback until the end of your turn. Its flashback cost is equal to its mana cost.
You may exile Pearl of Power rather than pay the mana cost for any instant or sorcery card with mana value 3 or less. (You can not cast flashback cards this way as flashback is already an alternative cost)

IIW: Design a card for a cube you play

Juancu

Volgen, Steam Engineer 2UR
Legendary Planeswalker - Volgen
+2: Tap up to one target untapped Vehicle you control. Put a +1/+1 counter on it.
-1: Exile the top card from your library. If it's an artifact card, put it into your hand. Otherwise, you may activate this ability an additional time this turn.
-6: You get an Emblem with "Rather than pay for a Crew cost, you may tap that many lands you control that are Islands or Mountains."

IIW: flavor color bleed

Ulka

Trick Question 1UU
Instant - Lesson (U)
You may pay 1U rather than pay this spell's mana cost.
If the 1U cost was paid, an opponent learns.
Counter target spell.

wonderful
Pronoun: she / her

Post by wonderful » 2 years ago

Brother Dan
Legendary Creature - Human Cleric (R)
You may sacrifice a white creature and a black creature rather than pay Brother Dan's mana cost.
When Brother Dan enters the battlefield, exile all creature cards from graveyards. Brother Dan has all activated and triggered abilities of all creature cards exiled this way. (This does not cause enter the battlefield abilities gained this way to trigger.)
2/2

iiw: nonblue fish

Megiddo
MEG

i will judge.... today

get your entries in!
MEG

Juancu

Steal U
Sorcery
Gain control of target artifact. Its controller creates two 1/1 white Human Soldier creature tokens.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

Violent Release XRR
Sorcery (R)
You may pay RR and sacrifice an artifact or enchantment rather than pay Violent Release's mana cost. If you do, X is equal to the sacrificed permanent's mana value.
Violent Release deals X damage to each creature and each planeswalker.
"Breaking magic is usually safe, but rarely exciting. I can show you how to fix that."
-Nassari, Prismari dean

IIW: A card with flavor text from one of the Strixhaven deans

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 2 years ago

Herald of the Fallen 3WWW
Creature - Angel Shaman
Flying
When Herald of the Fallen enters the battlefield, choose a permanent type.
You may cast cards of the chosen type from your graveyard.
If three or more of the chosen permanent were put into the graveyard this turn, you may pay 2 rather than pay for the mana costs of any permanent cast from your graveyard until end of turn.
3/5

IIW: White and/or black Elementals

Megiddo
MEG

rather than judge...
Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
Pulsemage Revivalist 2WW
Creature — Human Cleric (R)
You may return two cards in each opponent's graveyard to their hand rather than pay the mana cost for activated abilities of creatures you control.
3WW, T: Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield. If no mana was spent to activate this ability, put a lifelink counter on it.
2/4

Finally, a way to combo kill with Ambassador Laquatus. I think this is a little too obviously easy to break for my tastes.
chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
Galbatorix, insidious King 3UBR
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard
You may give a creature you control -1/-1 until end of turn rather than pay 1 when you cast a spell.
Spells you control can't be countered.
An expert in breaking into people's minds, Galbatorix took control of Alagaesia after destroying the order of Dragon Riders.
5/5

IIW: Large Green Creatures
This one is a little cheaty to me... Just "add C" rather than this. That said, I think this is an interesting concept, but I'd like to turn a couple of knobs on it to reduce the power a bit.
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Pearl of Power 4
Artifact (M)
At the beginning of your upkeep, target instant or sorcery card with mana value 3 or less gains flashback until the end of your turn. Its flashback cost is equal to its mana cost.
You may exile Pearl of Power rather than pay the mana cost for any instant or sorcery card with mana value 3 or less. (You can not cast flashback cards this way as flashback is already an alternative cost)

I like this one. Good recurring effect with a relevant burst ability. Lots of power, with a real deckbuilding cost.
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
Volgen, Steam Engineer 2UR
Legendary Planeswalker - Volgen
+2: Tap up to one target untapped Vehicle you control. Put a +1/+1 counter on it.
-1: Exile the top card from your library. If it's an artifact card, put it into your hand. Otherwise, you may activate this ability an additional time this turn.
-6: You get an Emblem with "Rather than pay for a Crew cost, you may tap that many lands you control that are Islands or Mountains."

IIW: flavor color bleed
If I'm playing a Planeswalker (extremely limited card type; 3-4 per set) that cares about Vehicles (extremely limited card type; none guaranteed to appear in a given set), I want it to at least animate those Vehicles so I can attack with them. And yes, I know that's the emblem, but the first ability reads very poorly.
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Trick Question 1UU
Instant - Lesson (U)
You may pay 1U rather than pay this spell's mana cost.
If the 1U cost was paid, an opponent learns.
Counter target spell.

Extremely powerful considering that you will have 0 lessons available in 99.9% of the games of Magic you ever play. The alt cost is hardly a drawback.
wonderful wrote:
2 years ago
Brother Dan
Legendary Creature - Human Cleric (R)
You may sacrifice a white creature and a black creature rather than pay Brother Dan's mana cost.
When Brother Dan enters the battlefield, exile all creature cards from graveyards. Brother Dan has all activated and triggered abilities of all creature cards exiled this way. (This does not cause enter the battlefield abilities gained this way to trigger.)
2/2

iiw: nonblue fish
This is nice; the kind of self-enabler I like where it isn't egregious. This just converts two pieces of material into a potential combo monster. If you did not know, Necrotic Ooze is one of my favorite cards, to the point that I built a whole EDH deck where the entire point was to get that card onto the battlefield and combo kill. So, uh, yeah.
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
Steal U
Sorcery
Gain control of target artifact. Its controller creates two 1/1 white Human Soldier creature tokens.
No IIW, no "rather than pay," but I'm chucklin.
Ink-Treader wrote:
2 years ago
Violent Release XRR
Sorcery (R)
You may pay RR and sacrifice an artifact or enchantment rather than pay Violent Release's mana cost. If you do, X is equal to the sacrificed permanent's mana value.
Violent Release deals X damage to each creature and each planeswalker.
"Breaking magic is usually safe, but rarely exciting. I can show you how to fix that."
-Nassari, Prismari dean

IIW: A card with flavor text from one of the Strixhaven deans
I hope this works, rules-wise. I like it, though I'll protest that you put enchantment sacrifice into Strixhaven.
lookingupanddown wrote:
2 years ago
Herald of the Fallen 3WWW
Creature - Angel Shaman
Flying
When Herald of the Fallen enters the battlefield, choose a permanent type.
You may cast cards of the chosen type from your graveyard.
If three or more of the chosen permanent were put into the graveyard this turn, you may pay 2 rather than pay for the mana costs of any permanent cast from your graveyard until end of turn.
3/5

IIW: White and/or black Elementals
Reminds a little of Twilight Shepherd in general function. This also feels like it's dying to enable a combo (Su-Chi, anyone?), but it requires a lot more work than some of our other entries today.

Winner: wonderful
Next: nonblue fish
MEG

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”