NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Mergatroid_Jones
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 4 years ago

It's weird that Nexus doesn't seem to have a mana tag button like MTGS. You have to type out [/mana] yourself. Lame.

Cardz5000
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Cardz5000 » 4 years ago

Yeah, same for the cardtext tag

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 4 years ago

i t a l i a n
MEG

Juancu

Post by Juancu » 4 years ago

I made a little http form that has all the inputs needed to create a cardtext, with a button for mana (useful to make all the cards in the Marvelous Magic Market.) I'll try turning it into a userscript so it can be injected here.

mellifluoresce
the winner is tibalt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by mellifluoresce » 4 years ago

Megiddo wrote:
4 years ago
i t a l i a n
a wizard is never late
Club Flamingo Alumnus

Disappointing Signet + co-founder

talk to me about the Black Market format! Now ready for your Hogaaks
SPOILER
Show
Hide
mirrorentity wrote: Judging.
Ogre of the Gray Ogre: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogre of the Pit: No IIW. Disqualified.
Toll Troll: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
My Hair Caught Fire!: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
Ogre Under: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogrenacle at Pendrell Vale: Overcosted.
Ogreforge Mystic: Judge. Disqualified.

Winner: Gerrard's Mom becomes a Tier I spammer!

Next spamellenge: Make the Ogre philosopher Gnerdel.

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 4 years ago

Two decks!

Dragon Grr 4RR
Sorcery
Create a 5/5 Red dragon creature token with flying.
Flashback 5RR
"Grr!"
"Grrr!" -One dragon to another

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

...he always takes lunch exactly when he is needed
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Cardz5000

Faux Bro UU
Sorcery (R)
Create a token that's a copy of target creature, except it's an Illusion in addition to its other types and it has "When this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it."
Flashback - Sacrifice an Illusion (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)

Amuzet

Post by Amuzet » 4 years ago

Is there still time! YES!

Ursa Manifested
1G
Creature - Bear
Morph GGG
When Ursa Manifested is turned face up, exile a creature you control then manifest another card you own in exile.
2/2

IIW: Draft Matters or Before Shuffle Effect

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 4 years ago

mellifluoresce wrote:
4 years ago
Megiddo wrote:
4 years ago
i t a l i a n
a wizard is never late
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Too bad we're dealing with a flamingo.

Escalating Denial UR
Instant (R)
Shuffle target spell into its owner's library. If this spell was cast from a graveyard, exile target spell instead.
Flashback 1WU

IIW: A Legendary Creature for an EDH deck built around retrace.
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

5 more hours and I'm dropping my entry and judging this thing. Tradition!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Cardz5000

Meg starting out the thread strong abandoning judgment without even having won.

mellifluoresce
the winner is tibalt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by mellifluoresce » 4 years ago

this is how we do it yeee
Club Flamingo Alumnus

Disappointing Signet + co-founder

talk to me about the Black Market format! Now ready for your Hogaaks
SPOILER
Show
Hide
mirrorentity wrote: Judging.
Ogre of the Gray Ogre: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogre of the Pit: No IIW. Disqualified.
Toll Troll: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
My Hair Caught Fire!: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
Ogre Under: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogrenacle at Pendrell Vale: Overcosted.
Ogreforge Mystic: Judge. Disqualified.

Winner: Gerrard's Mom becomes a Tier I spammer!

Next spamellenge: Make the Ogre philosopher Gnerdel.

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Sojourner Dusk
Dominarian Hitchhiker

Post by Sojourner Dusk » 4 years ago

And now it's a race.

Who will post first: Megiddo, who has a two day head start but may never finish; or void_nothing, who declared a five hour countdown but has already managed to exceed it?

Tradition!

(Hmmm... need to find a Fiddler On the Roof gif or something).
May your games be chaotic and your decks be rogue.

UBR Nekusar (EDH)
RGW Mayael, Naturally (EDH)

Amuzet

Post by Amuzet » 4 years ago

I'm on the edge of my seat!

Megiddo
MEG

stay tuned it's coming very shortly (for real this time)
MEG

Megiddo
MEG

void u a mod but you can't usurp me in my own thread
MEG

Megiddo
MEG

EDH IS KILLING MAGIC, PART 1
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Tether with Glory 3WU
Sorcery (R)
Exile target creature or enchantment. At the beginning of the end step of your next turn, return that permanent to the battlefield under your control.
Flashback 5WU

IIW: Fun with the design space of flash and/or split second
Some years back I learned of the concept of categorizing thinking and problem solving into one of two camps: convergent and divergent thinking. Convergent thinking describes the ability to come to a single "optimal" solution from among a large problem space with many different data points. Divergent thinking is the opposite—starting with a single data point and extrapolating out from there.
mellifluoresce wrote:
4 years ago
Spamming the Thread 2WW
Sorcery (M)
Populate X times, where X is the number of creatures that entered the battlefield this turn.

IIW: banned MTGS users In Kaladesh development, you have been asked to design a last-minute replacement for Aetherworks Marvel due to balance concerns. Create a card to fill that hole.
Convergent thinking is described as the skill one needs to take a standardized test. You are given a set problem space and asked to come up with the "correct" answer.
Cythare wrote:
4 years ago
Ruh roh

Sanguine Psychosis 2BR
Enchantment (R)
If you would discard a card, you may instead pay half your life total rounded up and exile it. When you do, you may play that card without paying its mana cost.

IIW: A creature card with a casting cost of UUR
Divergent thinking is used nearly synonymously with creativity, as the leaps of logic required to go from one piece of information to many are aligned with how we imagine the creative process.
Juancu wrote:
4 years ago
Chaosblood Mixer R
Creature - Vampire
Marphness R (If you would discard this card, discard it into the battlefield face down as a 1/1 creature. Turn it face up anytime for its marphness cost.)
2/1

IIW: Double Dip
I personally think those descriptions sell convergent thinkers short, as the skill of parsing through a mess of data to arrive to one correct solution is incredibly valuable. So just think of it in these more general terms: convergent thinkers work from a problem space inward to a single solution, and divergent thinkers work outward from a single point to build a solution space. The two skills are complementary, and most people use both in their day to day lives.
Stapler wrote:
4 years ago
ayo

Corpseshell Crab UB
Creature - Zombie Crab (R)
Megamorph 2UB (You may cast this face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. Turn it face up any time for its megamorph cost and put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
As Corpseshell Crab is turned face up, you may have it become a copy of a creature card in your graveyard, except it has "When this creature dies, return another card with the same name as it from your graveyard to your hand."
1/4

iiw: sig Spies, assassins, or espers.
So what does this have to do with Magic?
chetoos wrote:
4 years ago
Mad Multiplication 3R
Sorcery
Mad Multiplication deals 4 damage to target creature or planeswalker. When a permanent dealt damage this way dies this turn, populate.
Madness 1RR
Hiding from Sanity 3BB
Enchantment
If you cast this spell for its madness cost, it enters the battlefield facedown as a 2/2 creature. You may turn it face up any time by paying 2B
Whenever you discard a card, each opponent discards a card
Madness B
Study 2U
Sorcery
Scry 3, then draw a card.
/////
Learn 1U
Aftermath
Manifest the top card of your library. That creature gains "2U: Return this creature to your hand."
Recreation 2W
Sorcery
Populate, then gain 1 life for each creature you control.
Retrace
Note: All cards are uncommon, as they are meant to be in more than one deck.
IIW: Take an uncommon walker from WotS and make it a rare walker.
Something that has bothered and really befuddled me for a long time was why seemingly so many Commander players would get SO upset about supposedly "missing" commanders. Why oh why do we need a UR commander that works with artifacts? Why does EVERY creature type need a legendary creature (that's also a lord, of course). And the wailing and gnashing of teeth about Nephilim!
ForestsCarl wrote:
4 years ago
Repawning Pool 4RR
Enchantment (R)
4RR, Discard a creature card: Create two token copies of the discarded card, except they are red and have haste. Exile them at the end of turn, unless your commander dealt combat damage this turn.

IiW: Take a creature → Add 1 cost → add +1/+1 to its base P/T
If you follow Magic on social media in any capacity, the complaints and asks seem incessant, and for the longest time I wrote them off as pure entitlement; to be dismissed. Until now.
Cythare wrote:
4 years ago
Treasure Heist XUU
Sorcery (R)
Gain control of up to one target artifact with converted mana cost X or less.
If you cast this spell from your graveyard, exile this spell then put it onto the battlefield transformed.
Flashback XRR
//
Fickle Djinn
Color Indicator: Blue/red
Creature - Djinn (R)
Flying, haste
At the beginning of your end step, if you control no permanents owned by another player, target opponent gains control of Fickle Djinn.
3/3

IIW: Time Spiral-style keyword/ability word mashups, but only for mechanics created since Lorwyn.
I actually love EDH. It is the ultimate creative outlet and build-around format. Pick a general and craft a deck to exploit its strengths and mitigate its weaknesses. Find the diamonds in the rough that can turn a wacky last-pick rare into a terror. Discover hilarious and unexpected ways to use your bulk bin to win games!
mellifluoresce wrote:
4 years ago
Double Post WW
Instant (U)
Create a colorless Post artifact token with "When this permanent enters the battlefield, add one mana of any color." If Double Post was cast from a graveyard, it gains "Whenever this permanent becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it."
Flashback R

IIW: B4rbmorygmos
The complaints about missing generals and things like that always confused me. Why waste your energy trying to find something that doesn't exist when you could have so much fun with what does?

Does this sound familiar at all?
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
4 years ago
Brass Warfare 2RGW
Sorcery (Rare)
Create a colorless Equipment artifact token named Brass Sword attached to each tapped creature you control. Those tokens have "Equipped creature gets +2/+2" and equip 2
If you control four or more tapped creatures, create a number of colorless artifact token named Brass Chest equal to half the number of tapped creatures you control rounded up. Those tokens have "T: Permanent spells of the type of your choice you cast cost 1 less to cast this turn"
If you control eight or more tapped creatures, create a 14/14 colorless Golem artifact creature token named Brass Colossus. That token has "This creature can block any number of creatures"

IIW ancient arabia
Ten years ago I took a battery of tests to help my parents figure out why I had failed my first year of college. Unfortunately none of those tests were able to tell them that it was because I spent all of my time drafting instead of doing homework or going to class, but one of the tests actually was to determine whether one was a convergent or divergent thinker.

[ed: I was in college during the original heyday of Club Flamingo. Totally unrelated to failing my first year, of course.]
Sojourner Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
Infraction 2BR
Enchantment
Whenever an opponent discards a card, Infraction deals 1 damage to that player.
Madness BR

IIW: Megiddo chooses the next challenge and judges again. After all, it's a Meg, Meg, Meg, Meg World.
I learned from this test that I fell in the Divergent camp. This means in theory that I am better at taking a single starting point and building out from it, while I am relatively weaker at taking a large body of information and distilling it down to a single solution.
barbecube wrote:
4 years ago
Plant a Viceroy 2GW
Sorcery (R)
Create a token that's a copy of target commander creature you control, except it's not legendary and it's a Dryad in addition to its types.

IIW: Noncreature Dryad stuff.
I've found this to be more or less true throughout my life, but rather than give you a ton of examples I'll focus on just one: Commander.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
4 years ago
Clandestine Meddling U
Instant (R)
Counter target artifact, enchantment, planeswalker, or creature spell. If a spell is countered in this way, its controller manifests that card instead of putting it anywhere else.
If Clandestine Meddling targets a spell you control, manifest Clandestine Meddling instead of putting it anywhere else.

IIW: Remake a legend from Legends.
If it wasn't obvious, I love the deckbuilding challenge of the Commander. The restrictions make it super interesting to me. Even now, having not cracked a booster pack in years, every so often I go down the rabbit hole of building Commander decks. Every time I start by finding an interesting general and then firing up Gatherer (or my better-performing MTG card search engine of choice) and going to town. Nine times out of ten I abandon the effort after a couple of hours after realizing that a deck didn't have potential, but that's OK. There are so many options that it's easy to dip back into the well time and time again.
Cardz5000 wrote:
4 years ago
Aetheric Haze
2GU
Enchantment
Whenever an opponent casts a spell or activates an ability, if it has a single target and is targeting a face-down creature you control, you may change the target to another face-down creature you control.
Morph GU (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. Turn it face up any time for its morph cost.)

IIW: Out of color guild mechanics
Because of how I approached decks, I never really stopped to consider that others might approach it differently. When I had the realization that my EDH deckbuilding approach matched up perfectly with my preference for divergent thinking, I did what any divergent thinker would do and immediately thought of the implications:

How would a convergent thinker build a Commander deck?
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
4 years ago
Since multiposting seems almost encouraged--

Master of Doofusses 3G
Creature- Human Shaman
Morph 2G
Creatures you control with no abilities get +2/+2.
"There's no way they could foresee such an idiotic attack!"
3/3

IIW: A second iteration of any legendary land.
Because I don't approach the game this way I am speculating, but I imagine this scenario: A convergent thinker realizes that there are a lot of artifact synergies in blue and in red. Blue has Tinker effects and Tezzeret and Grand Architect and so on. Red has Goblin Welder and Atogs and a lot of other ways to use artifacts as a resource.
Henlock wrote:
4 years ago
Dreadmaw Egg 1G
Creature - Dinosaur Egg (c)
Defender
4gg, Sacrifice Dreadmaw Egg: Create a green 6/6 Dinosaur creature token with trample named Colossal Dreadmaw.
Locals will come nowhere near hills that look a little too oval.
0/5

IIW: A monowhite commander
Cool. So I, the convergent thinker, have identified my problem space (blue and red "artifacts matter" cards). The solution is obvious: I need a commander that works well with these things. Quick trip to Gatherer later, and...

er...

hm.
Subject16 wrote:
4 years ago
Flamingo Swarm 3UU
Creature - Bird (Rare)
Flying
When Flamingo Swarm is turned face up, end the turn. (Exile all spells and abilities on the stack, including this card. The player whose turn it is discards down to their maximum hand size. Damage wears off, and "this turn" and "until end of turn" effects end.)
Megamorph 4UU
They reveal themselve only when judgment is nigh.
3/2

IIW: Push a new tribe at uncommon
Prior to 2018 there were ZERO legendary creature cards with color identity UR that had ANY relevance to artifacts. 2018 brought three (Tawnos, Urza's Apprentice; Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain; and Brudiclad, Telchor Engineer. I have seen Joira called "not good enough" and Brudiclad is certainly a stretch, though it IS an artifact creature).
Joakim wrote:
4 years ago
"Sephon19" here

-

Surgurean Sprouter 3GG
Creature - Plant U
Morph G
When Surgurean Sprouter enters the battlefield face up, you may put a card with morph from your hand onto the battlefield face down.
When Surgurean Sprouter is turned face up, morph costs you pay this turn cost 2 less to pay. This reduction cannot reduced colored mana of those costs.
3/3

Sorry about the bad wording, I'm crap at morph wordings.

Next: Show me a custom keyword mechanic, custom keyword action or custom ability word of your own design, on a common card.
In one of his better articles, Mark Rosewater outlined some basic communications theory, covering Comfort, Surprise, and Completion. I won't rehash the entire article here, but the idea that humans desire completion, and find the lack of it incredibly frustrating, fed into my understanding of this issue.
TheRavenManIsSquee wrote:
4 years ago
Sunder the Sky 2BBRR
Sorcery (Rare)
Discard your hand. For each card with madness discarded this way, you may cast it without paying it's madness cost. Each opponent loses life equal to the number of cards cast this way.
Madness 3BBR
Bolas promised Kaya that if she did his bidding, he would mend the broken sky of her world. Little did she know it was him who had broken it in the first place.
IIW: Eldrazi with colored mana in their mana costs.
Additional: Please tell me how to use the mana symbols on this site, the ones from Salvation don't work.
Taking that into account, I imagine the ultimate frustration for a convergent thinker must be "solving" a problem (like identifying the best general to run in a UR artifact based deck) only to find that the solution does not exist!
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
4 years ago
Two decks!

Dragon Grr 4RR
Sorcery
Create a 5/5 Red dragon creature token with flying.
Flashback 5RR
"Grr!"
"Grrr!" -One dragon to another
The catharsis of completion is denied because the problem that the convergent thinker is trying to solve has no solution.
Cardz5000 wrote:
4 years ago
Faux Bro UU
Sorcery (R)
Create a token that's a copy of target creature, except it's an Illusion in addition to its other types and it has "When this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it."
Flashback - Sacrifice an Illusion (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)
I ran this scenario through a few times. When you approach deckbuilding from a desire to "solve a problem," e.g. finding a leader for a tribe of creatures, it's going to be extraordinarily maddening when that problem can't be solved.
Amuzet wrote:
4 years ago
Is there still time! YES!

Ursa Manifested
1G
Creature - Bear
Morph GGG
When Ursa Manifested is turned face up, exile a creature you control then manifest another card you own in exile.
2/2

IIW: Draft Matters or Before Shuffle Effect
And so, as a response to the frustration caused by being unable achieve completion, people make appeals to WOTC to give them the solutions to problems that don't have answers.
Sojourner Dusk wrote:
4 years ago
mellifluoresce wrote:
4 years ago
Megiddo wrote:
4 years ago
i t a l i a n
a wizard is never late
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Too bad we're dealing with a flamingo.

Escalating Denial UR
Instant (R)
Shuffle target spell into its owner's library. If this spell was cast from a graveyard, exile target spell instead.
Flashback 1WU

IIW: A Legendary Creature for an EDH deck built around retrace.
I don't know if I'm right, but for now I'm taking a much more sympathetic view to the complaints I see about needing new commanders. I understand them now, and I can empathize.

Come back for PART TWO: How earnest pleas for completion intersected with Fan Culture to create a monster.

WINNER: Cythare for FICKLE DJINN

NEXT: Time Spiral-style keyword/ability word mashups, but only for mechanics created since Lorwyn.
MEG

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

I already typed out every judgment and ... had the same winner

Megiddo
MEG

great minds

you can post yours too
MEG

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

You know, just in case anyone at all wants any attempt at actual evaluation

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

mellifluoresce - very thematic but the definition of win-more

Cythare - actually pretty good, risky but awesome, could easily get degenerate but man the f l a v o r

Juancu - while this displays some thought put into the challenge, and I like the madness-as-whole-different-thing dynamic, there are several things that offend me about this card, starting with being a red 2/1 for one without a drawback

Stapler - Chromeshell Crab didn't become a copy of anything so the seeming reference is odd. A clever possibly fun card but so many :words:

chetoos - haha like I'm gonna read all of those. Recreation is my favorite. I guess I like the mixed mechanics in general but definitely not for these cmdr decks

ForestsCarl - Really nice - a fun, splashy, less broken Sneak Attack variant that, while expensive, does explosive stuff. I think the last clause is one knob to turn too many, though

Cythare - A work of heartbreaking perfection and genius that actually tells a full-on story. I can't not love this card even though it doesn't make a lot of sense with the deck's commander specifically

mellifluoresce - :mob:

kwanyeegor - an awesome and flavorful but extremely wordy card that makes me wish populate could copy noncreature tokens. the middle ability is concerning balancewise but I wanna make a damn brass corps too

Sojourner Dusk - Very nice build-around that I'm not sure fits thematically with the deck in question. name feels like it needs white flavorfully but mechanically colors are correct

barbecube - Interesting but overcosted idea that doesn't really make sense in white. Green seems to be copying its own creatures lately but if it had a second color it would totally be blue

Mergatroid_Jones - just say "permanent spell" ffs. Unbound Flourishing does. Really odd Swan Song variant that is probably at least pretty fun. flavor's way abstract though

Cardz5000 - I'm pretty sure this should be a monoblue or UR and not green card

Mergatroid_Jones - I took a Mura-gander at this and I betcha-glyphs it's more or less playable in a morph deck

Henlock - Cute but obvious, no marks for originality

Subject16 - We come in swarms now? Great idea but Time Stop that's all but uncounterable and attached to a flying fatty is scary

Joakim - Build-around uncommon is build-around. I'd build a deck around it in Limited I think. Why would a 2 reduction EVER reduce colored costs, though

TheRavenManIsSquee - Great worldbuilding flavor text. Super strong if everything in your hand has madness. Bad if nothing does. So, kind of an all-or-nothing card, which is fitting

Mergatroid_Jones - Fine but zzzzzzz

Cardz5000 - :mob:

Amuzet - This triggered ability is basically a blink effect, which is pretty out of color for green. Blue is more fitting

Sojourner Dusk - Obnoxious power-wise. Shuffle into library does not make this card red nor does exile make it white but the three colors at least make it more difficult to cast. Conceptually I am attracted to this card somehow

Winner is the awesome Heist/Djinn thing whatever that IIW was

Megiddo
MEG

I'll have you know i did read and evaluate every card, but just like how i put a two part article series behind every hot take, i put all of the judgments behind just posting the winner
MEG

Cardz5000

Can we please just make Meg's judgment an article?

(The thought behind green for Aetheric Haze was the hexproof like protection it provides)

Juancu

Post by Juancu » 4 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Juancu - while this displays some thought put into the challenge, and I like the madness-as-whole-different-thing dynamic, there are several things that offend me about this card, starting with being a red 2/1 for one without a drawback
I was happy when the 2/1 for R and 2/2 for 1R were finally printed. They were remnants of the old creature power level design, that were kept way longer than necessary just for tradition's sake. (Falkenrath Gorger) And really, many more of these taboos get erased with each set, just in M20 I see the 1/1 spirit sailor and the 2/1 elemental with flying that cantrips. Good stuff.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”