NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

wonderful
Pronoun: she / her

Post by wonderful » 4 years ago

Soulsucker Spirit 1BB
Creature - Spirit (R)
Cumulative Upkeep - Pay 1 life.
When Soulsucker Spirit dies, choose one -
Each opponent loses life equal to the number of age counters on it.
You draw cards equal to the number of age counters on it.
3/2

iiw: an interesting take on Shades

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Judging tomorrow
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Post by avatarz » 4 years ago

wonderful wrote:
4 years ago
Wow, morning came really late today. Weird. I swear the sun is just rising rn.
4 years ago
Essence Painter GWU
Creature — Elf Shaman (R)
If one or more creature tokens would enter the battlefield under your control, you may have them enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield, except Essence Painter.
1GWU: Create a 3/3 Reflection creature token that's all colors.
3/3

IIW: A world in a card.
I like the first ability. The second ability feels undercosted, especially on a 3/3 for 3 already
I was not sure about costing it 2GWU, because it felt too large. It's a 3 colored mana ability: it's strong, but I don't think it would be gamebraking (for instance, Soul of Zendikar does it for 3GG)
Probably the right choice was to leave the "may" out.

Attrition Tactics RWW
Sorcery (R)
Choose one, plus one for each card named ~ in your graveyard —
• Create two 1/1 white Soldier creatures with haste.
• Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.
• Creatures you control gain first strike and lifelink until end of turn.
• Each creature you control deals damage equal to its power to target creature or planeswalker you don't control.

IIW: a World in a card.

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 4 years ago

Two Evils 1B
Sorcery (U)
Choose one -
• Sacrifice a creature
• Discard a card
Each opponent copies this spell and chooses the other one for the copy.

IIW: Catch em all

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Judging in, eh, an hour or so?
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

TacticalCelebrant - This is not really modal - it literally doesn't have modes in the rules sense - but it functions similarly so it gets a pass. Both of the adamants give you an extra three power which is concerning balance-wise at four mana, even for something so mana intense. Double adamant is definitely something I can see being done though.

spacemonaut - So this is basically the Siege cycle, right? The "Battle" mode here is way too much. Two 2/2s per turn for no investment on a hard to remove card like an enchantment is too much, and the detain option is also strong. (Also, Soldier tokens should never be 2/2, that's what Knights are for.)

chetoos - For godsakes please put line breaks, between cards, this hurt my eyes. I love the flavor and the fact that they're all from different planes, but the balance on these is all over the place (Marwyn looks like an insane amount of ramp) and some of them are microtext levels of wordy. (More token weirdness - blue Drake with haste but not flying?)

barbecube - This is perfectly fine Limited material that protects itself well, but it's even less modal than TactCele's entry - your land base is a choice but which lands you can play in the course of a game isn't really necessarily.

Subject16 - I get the sinking feeling this card is badly misworded - this is an "every player flips a bunch of coins" thing where the number of coins flipped is the number of cards in their hand, yes? This is innovative multiplayer wackiness but would take forEVER to resolve.

mellifluoresce - "Limitless Blaze" is the kind of abstract and vaguely flavorless name that the Kamigawa epic spells had. I like all the modes here but two of them directly work together and one of them is not synergistic with the others, which is ehh. I'd play this in Commander but ultimately it's just a large Confluence.

wonderful - SPICY! I have a secret shameful love for cumulative upkeep and this is a card that shows that mechanic's design space off. I am worried that you get diminishing returns after you dump in, say, four+ turns and 10+ life into the big machine.

avatarz - Innovative AND flavorful! I love the whole Kindle dynamic here and the card actually does capture the flavor of a war of attrition very well. Now if only the tokens were red and white I could pretend this were a Ravnican card and love it wholly.

NinjaCaterpie - This feels very much like a Conspiracy card - or a member of a cycle of Conspiracy cards - and I like what you're trying to do here but the rules make it so that you have to word this more inelegantly than you want in order for it to function, because mode is a copiable value and you don't get to choose new modes for a spell you copy, so maybe the best way without saying something paradoxical like "may choose a new mode for the copy and must choose the one you didn't choose" is "Each opponent copies this spell card and casts the copy without paying its mana cost," etc, which, again, is a mess.

HMs: wonderful, NinjaCaterpie
Winner: avatarz
Next challenge: A world in a card.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

>when you kill cf

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

Rathi Overlay BBBRRR
Sorcery
Choose another Magic game you can see from your seats. It becomes a two-headed giant game. Its players become a team. All players in your current game become the opposing team and join that game. End the turn. (Teams join life totals. Players keep their hands, libraries, and battlefield as-is for the combined game. This isn't optional for the other players; that's how an invasion works.)

Safe to say this card should never be printed and should never have been designed. Look at what you've made me do.

IIW: Vehicles that aren't cars, boats, or floaty airships.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago
Rathi Overlay BBBRRR
Sorcery
Choose another Magic game you can see from your seats. It becomes a two-headed giant game. Its players become a team. All players in your current game become the opposing team and join that game. End the turn. (Teams join life totals. Players keep their hands, libraries, and battlefield as-is for the combined game. This isn't optional for the other players; that's how an invasion works.)
In the perfected version of Magic in the World-to-Come this will be printed in Planeshift Remastered

wonderful

Post by wonderful » 4 years ago

Miniature Snowglobe {s}
Artifact (R)
At the end of each combat, exile each attacking creature with power 0 or less.
When Miniature Snowglobe leaves the battlefield, return each permanent card exiled with it to the battlefield under its owner's control.
3, t: Target creature gets -2/-0 until end of turn.

iiw: yetis

mellifluoresce
the winner is tibalt

Post by mellifluoresce » 4 years ago

Mirror Crucible 4WU
Artifact (M)
When Mirror Crucible enters the battlefield, for each creature, that creature's owner creates a token that's a copy of that creature.
Nontoken creatures can't attack or block.
When a player controls no token creatures, sacrifice Mirror Crucible.

IIW: Urabrask's Rebellion
Club Flamingo Alumnus

Disappointing Signet + co-founder

talk to me about the Black Market format! Now ready for your Hogaaks
SPOILER
Show
Hide
mirrorentity wrote: Judging.
Ogre of the Gray Ogre: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogre of the Pit: No IIW. Disqualified.
Toll Troll: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
My Hair Caught Fire!: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
Ogre Under: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogrenacle at Pendrell Vale: Overcosted.
Ogreforge Mystic: Judge. Disqualified.

Winner: Gerrard's Mom becomes a Tier I spammer!

Next spamellenge: Make the Ogre philosopher Gnerdel.

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Reign of Dragons WUBRG
Enchantment
Dragons you control get +2/+2 and have haste.
Non-dragon creatures enter the battlefield tapped.
"Whoops. Sorry everyone." — Sarkhan

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

Underworld of Nyx 3BB
Legendary Enchantment (M)
As Underworld of Nyx enters the battlefield, exile all creatures on the battlefield, then each player returns all creature cards in their graveyard to the battlefield. Creatures entering the battlefield this way don't cause abilities to trigger.
When Underworld of Nyx leaves the battlefield, each player sacrifices all creatures they control, then returns each creature card they own exiled with Underworld of Nyx to the battlefield under their control. Creatures entering or leaving the battlefield this way don't cause abilities to trigger.
"Let Heliod have the overworld. There are plenty to rule down here."
—Erebos, God of the Dead

IIW: Mystery Booster playtest cards

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 4 years ago

Presence of Zhalfir {W/U}
World Enchantment (U)

Chandra: "But it doesn't do anything!"
Teferi: "Yes."

IIW: "What card can save standard?" OR "do nothing"

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 4 years ago

Christmas Town
Snow Land
Christmas Town enters the battlefield tapped.
t: add G or W
2, T: Target creature and up to one target vehicle each gain flying until end of turn.
Sacrifice a food, T: draw a card.
Had some trouble figuring out what color the land should tap for. I feel like any combination of naya colors would work, but the full shard would probably be OP.
IIW: uncommon walkers from war of the spark upshifted to rare.

Togs
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Togs » 4 years ago

Worldgorger Wurm 4GGG
Creature - Wurm (M)
Trample
When you cast Worldgorger Wurm, exile all permanents you control until Worldgorger Wurm leaves the battlefield.
Worldgorger Wurm gets +1/+1 for each card you own in exile.
0/0

IIW: Make a small creature big

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

That's definitely one way to have a world in a card :laugh:

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Judge? The challenge has been live for 3 days, so it might be time for the next one.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Italian Lunchtime is underway though

mellifluoresce
the winner is tibalt

Post by mellifluoresce » 4 years ago

which is longer, an Italian lunch or an R&D lunch
Club Flamingo Alumnus

Disappointing Signet + co-founder

talk to me about the Black Market format! Now ready for your Hogaaks
SPOILER
Show
Hide
mirrorentity wrote: Judging.
Ogre of the Gray Ogre: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogre of the Pit: No IIW. Disqualified.
Toll Troll: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
My Hair Caught Fire!: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
Ogre Under: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogrenacle at Pendrell Vale: Overcosted.
Ogreforge Mystic: Judge. Disqualified.

Winner: Gerrard's Mom becomes a Tier I spammer!

Next spamellenge: Make the Ogre philosopher Gnerdel.

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

Post by Flatline » 4 years ago

I've never experienced an Italian lunch, but I can tell you that the R&D lunches at my work are legendary.
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

Togs

Glad to see that some things never change : o)

Post by avatarz » 4 years ago

Hi, I really wanted some flavorful cards out of this challenge, but apparently not everyone saw this need. I will have no simpathy for them.
Cards
Show
Hide
spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago
Rathi Overlay BBBRRR
Sorcery
Hi, I hate this card and now will fix it to meet my expectations.
Rathi Overlay 1BB
Enchantment (R)
When Rathi Overlay enters the battlefield, put three Time counters on each creature all opponents control. They gain vanishing. (At the beginning of their controller's upkeep, that player removes a time counter from it. When the last is removed, that player sacrifices it.)
Whenever an opponent sacrifices a creature, create a 1/1 black Horror creature token with menace.
This card seems to cleanly capture the flavour of the terrible experiments Phyrexians inflicted to the Rathi. Nice work!
wonderful wrote:
4 years ago
Miniature Snowglobe {s}
Artifact (R)
At the end of each combat, exile each attacking creature with power 0 or less.
When Miniature Snowglobe leaves the battlefield, return each permanent card exiled with it to the battlefield under its owner's control.
3, t: Target creature gets -2/-0 until end of turn.

iiw: yetis
Hi, interesting card! Flavorfully is a win, it seems something that came out from a Goosebumps book; mechanically, it works well and it's fun when you build around it.
mellifluoresce wrote:
4 years ago
Mirror Crucible 4WU
Artifact (M)
When Mirror Crucible enters the battlefield, for each creature, that creature's owner creates a token that's a copy of that creature.
Nontoken creatures can't attack or block.
When a player controls no token creatures, sacrifice Mirror Crucible.

IIW: Urabrask's Rebellion
Hi, I like this. It makes a "photography" of the board and then freezes it to that point. I really can't evaluate its power level, but the cost seems appropriate and the card is lovely.
spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago
Reign of Dragons WUBRG
Enchantment
Dragons you control get +2/+2 and have haste.
Non-dragon creatures enter the battlefield tapped.
"Whoops. Sorry everyone." — Sarkhan

Hi, I find this card a bit lazy. The cost seems disproportionate to the effect and its mechanics don't give me the depthness in flavour I wanted.
Subject16 wrote:
4 years ago
Underworld of Nyx 3BB
Legendary Enchantment (M)
As Underworld of Nyx enters the battlefield, exile all creatures on the battlefield, then each player returns all creature cards in their graveyard to the battlefield. Creatures entering the battlefield this way don't cause abilities to trigger.
When Underworld of Nyx leaves the battlefield, each player sacrifices all creatures they control, then returns each creature card they own exiled with Underworld of Nyx to the battlefield under their control. Creatures entering or leaving the battlefield this way don't cause abilities to trigger.
"Let Heliod have the overworld. There are plenty to rule down here."
—Erebos, God of the Dead

IIW: Mystery Booster playtest cards
Hi, I don't dislike the card. I love the flavour. I think that all the "don't cause abilities to trigger" clause is omittable. I also I think that it should be a white card, because black doesn't do temporary removal.
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
4 years ago
World Enchantment (U)

Chandra: "But it doesn't do anything!"
Teferi: "Yes."

IIW: "What card can save standard?" OR "do nothing"
Hi, I laughed but now I'm very angry and will fix the card to meet my expectations.
Enchantment (R)
1{W/U}{W/U}}: Create a 1/1 white and blue Illusion creature with flying.
At the beginning of your end step, sacrifice all Illusions.
This card seems to cleanly capture the flavour of fleeting visions of an etherized plane. Nice work!
chetoos wrote:
4 years ago
Christmas Town
Snow Land
Christmas Town enters the battlefield tapped.
t: add G or W
2, T: Target creature and up to one target vehicle each gain flying until end of turn.
Sacrifice a food, T: draw a card.

Had some trouble figuring out what color the land should tap for. I feel like any combination of naya colors would work, but the full shard would probably be OP.

IIW: uncommon walkers from war of the spark upshifted to rare.
Hi, ok, there is flavour but I think that as a card is a bit messy. It tries to do too many unrelated things, that are linked just flavorfully and not mechanically.
Togs wrote:
4 years ago
Worldgorger Wurm 4GGG
Creature - Wurm (M)
Trample
When you cast Worldgorger Wurm, exile all permanents you control until Worldgorger Wurm leaves the battlefield.
Worldgorger Wurm gets +1/+1 for each card you own in exile.
0/0

Hi, nice lazy trick, dude. But I like the card and technically it fits the challenge :V I find the cost exaggerate, since as a hard cast you lose too much land value to then lose the game to a pacifism or a ghostly prison effect.
Results
Show
Hide
Hi, I will give the win to avatarz for his "Rathi Overlay" card! Congratulations.

Next: Maro's secret passion
SPOILER
Show
Hide
The Wonderful wins, with a HM to Mirrorentity

Next: yetis

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Not Yeti WWUU
Creature — Yeti Wizard
Flash
When Not Yeti enters the battlefield, you may put target spell or attacking creature on top of its owner's library.
3/3

Last edited by spacemonaut 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

Togs

Yeti in my Spaghetti 3G
Enchantment (U)
When ~ enters the battlefield, create a Food.
Food you control have "2, T, Sacrifice this artifact: Create a 3/3 green Yeti creature token."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”