MEG
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Megiddo » 2 years ago

will do today if i can't track @Ulka down
MEG

Ulka
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

Sorry Guys. School got incredibly busy and I was traveling out of state yesterday but here we go!!!
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
2 years ago
Mizzix Snow-shoveler 1UR
Artifact - Vehicle (U)
Whenever Mizzix Snow-shoveler attacks, permanents aren't snow until the beginning of your next turn.
Crew 2
"And they called me mad!" - Riz-Kos, Izzet mad scientist
4/4

IIW: Terrible usages of cleave
Man thats a lot of power on a vehicle for that cmc but I think in a snow set this is probably needed to help balance the set.
Phyrexian Editor wrote:
2 years ago
Ice Cocoon Spinner / hybrid, / hybrid
Snow Creature—Spider Yeti Shaman {U}
, : Tap target creature. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step. If you control that creature, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
The Simic quickly discovered that the cold's anesthetizing properties allowed them to bring myriad procedures out of the laboratory and onto the battlefield.
2/2

IIW: A mechanic that introduces a new game piece, like enter the dungeon or daybound.
I love the hybrid snow/ color mana cost. very unique and feels very ravnica with snow.

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
Hot-Ice Paradox
1ur
Snow Creature - Weird (U)
Defender, haste
T: Add
5/1
"EUREKA!" -Niv-Mizzet

IIW: Fungus
I love the idea here with the themes. it feels odd and off balance as a card which is exactly what it should be.
chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
Zal Rarek, mad inventor 2uU
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard (R)
Whenever you play an island, scry 1. If that island is snow, draw a card instead.
"My insane brother caused this, we need to figure out how to shut it down." - Ral Zarek, Izzet Guildmaster.
2/4

IIW: Phyrexian invasion of goldmeadow, or other 100% wholesome place/plane.
Well we found the Mad Mage's brother, I love the themes and this feels like it found fit the fiction I have for this set solidly. Amazing.
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
Lekkato, the Rimetide UWBG
Legendary Creature - Nephilim Cat
Companion - Choose two guilds (a guild is a two color identity.) Each other multicolored card in your starting deck is exactly one of those guilds
Whenever you cast a multicolored spell, tap target creature and gain 1 life. If it was already tapped and it's your turn, that creature doesn't untap during its controller next untap step.
4/6

How would this mad mage achieve this? Well, we know nephilim are ancient god-like entities that can absorb limitless mana and threaten the world, so one of them would be perfect to make it happen. This one would be tied to the concept of Winter, and be part of a cycle that all shared the same companion ability. (Which I think makes a very interesting restriction for building a 4-color deck.)
The other nephilim in the cycle would be:

RWBG (no U) - Summer
RWGU (no B) - Spring
RGBU (no W) - Autumn
RBUW (no G) - The Void. The center of Ravnica, and the Space above, heat-sinks untouched by the seasons.

IIW: the pinnacle of its evolution

I love the methodology here and I like the idea of companion here as in a limited setting that would help limit its usability but still they can be very strong bombs.
Megiddo wrote:
2 years ago
Prime Speaker Neupros GGUU
Legendary Snow Creature — Elf Mutant {M}
When Prime Speaker Neupros enters the battlefield, if you control a permanent with a +1/+1 counter on it, draw a card, then proliferate.
When Prime Speaker Neupros enters the battlefield, if you control a permanent with an ice counter on it, draw a card, then proliferate.
4/4

IIW: Spirit in the Shell
this is a really neat take on Simic. It feels very in theme and i love the idea of snow counters returning.

You all did amazing. This is a set ive been kicking around in my head for a few years and yall didn't disappoint.

Winner: chetoos

Next up: FUNGUS
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 2 years ago

Um, I'll be more than happy to judge a contest of fungus cards, but my IIW was a phyrexian invasion of a wholesome plane.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
Um, I'll be more than happy to judge a contest of fungus cards, but my IIW was a phyrexian invasion of a wholesome plane.
I guess because my IIW was right above your name.

Poor Ulka must be very tired.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Ulka

%$#% you are right sorry. I spent 8 hrs driving yesterday and then got to attend remote class from 4:30 until 10:30 and now am back into class before the wedding I traveled for so yea my mind is elsewhere.

IIW: Phyerxians Invade a wholesome place like smurfsville, goldmeadow or Mickeymouse's club house XP

Juancu

Post by Juancu » 2 years ago

Parakeetumor 2U
Creature - Phyrexian Bird(C)
Flying
Corrupted creature has Flying.
Corrupt 4U (If you cast this for 4U, it's a non-creature Corruption spell targeting a creature you control. Tap that creature and draw a card. This becomes a creature when the corrupted creature leaves, and while it's blocked, blocking, or unblocked, joining corrupted creature's combat group.)
2/2

Melding two horrors keeps the horror constant. But conjoining something cute and cheerful, now that's disturbing.
Mechanic Release Notes
Show
Hide
Corruption is a new permanent type (although it's not actually printed in a card). If a spell resolves as a Corruption, it taps the targeted creature and causes its controller to draw a card. Like Bestow and Mutate, a Corrupting spell doesn't fizzle if it loses its target, it just resolves as a Creature spell. A Corruption permanent becomes a creature if the Corrupted creature no longer exists, or temporarily if that creature is blocked, blocking or unblocked, joining that creature's combat group (before it is ordered by the opponent.) Then returns being a non-creature Corruption after combat (unless the creature left.)

The main differences with Bestow/Mutate are the fact that a Corruption can be shocked to remove it (during combat) or simply die in combat with 2 damage. There's also a card advantage consideration built in, and becoming corrupted is an arduous process that taps the creature, so you can't use it immediately to attack. Better to do it after an attack, but it may be hard to corrupt if you are on the defensive.
IIW: The pinnacle of its evolution
Last edited by Juancu 2 years ago, edited 11 times in total.

Ulka

Phyrexian Mutagene
Creature - Phyrexian Germ
Mutate 1BB
Spells without a mana cost can't be cast.
Phyrexian Mutagene must mutate below another creature.
The kithkin were ready for the combat aspect of the invasion but never contemplated the horror that the Phyrexians would cause.
0/0

IIW: farm animals

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 2 years ago

Ichorborn Menace BBB
Creature - Phyrexian Aetherborn (U)
Infect
Whenever Ichorborn Menace deals damage, put a -1/-1 counter on it.
5/3

Ichorworks Marvel 4
Artifact (M)
Whenever a permanent you control is put into a graveyard from play, you lose a poison counter.
T, gain nine poison counters: Look at the top nine cards of your library. You may cast a spell from among them without paying its mana cost. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 2 years ago

Contagion Smurf {BP}
Creature — Phyrexian Carrier Smurf (U)
Infect (This creature deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters and to players in the form of poison counters.)
"You don't look so good today, Sniffly Smurf!"
—Inept Smurf, last words

0/1

IIW: Make an Elder for a tribe that doesn't have an Elder yet.
Last edited by spacemonaut 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 2 years ago

Phyrexia High
Land (Un-U)
When Phyrexia High enters the battlefield, you may sing a verse of a TV show theme song featuring young adults in high school. If you do, you get a high five counter. (Remove a high five counter from yourself, an opponent high fives you: You gain 1 life for each opponent you high fived this turn.)
T: Add 1. If you high fived a player other than yourself this turn, add one mana of any color instead. Spend this mana only to cast spells with three or more creatures in their art.
We're all compleat! We're all compleat! Hello, Phyrexia!

Iiw: A vigilante gang of fanatical Gleemax worshippers created a cyborg-bus that took over WoTC headquarters and deleted all upcoming sets. Maro and R&D are safe in a doomsday bunker, but the cyborg-bus is holding the Rules Manager hostage and demands all sets must be crowdsourced, and that every new premier set must include cards that don't fully work within the current official comprehensive rules. The Rules Manager now has to make it work or Gleemax will have him Kindslavered permanently. MaRo's been given permission to accept custom card submissions as long as they don't function as written, but any card accepted must have a printed comment from Maro about why it would never be printed. Submit a card to save the Rules Manager.

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 2 years ago

Inkfathom Prophet 2U
Creature — Merfolk Wizard {R}
Whenever a counter is put on Inkfathom Prophet, untap it.
U, Tap an untapped Merfolk you control: Target creature can't be blocked this turn.
"Fear not the darkness. Fear not the current. Trust, and let us guide you."
3/2

IIW: Another mechanic that uses something other than the cards in your deck and, like, counters.
MEG

chetoos

Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
Parakeetumor 2U
Creature - Phyrexian Bird(C)
Flying
Corrupted creature has Flying.
Corrupt 4U (If you cast this for 4U, it's a non-creature Corruption spell targeting a creature you control. Tap that creature and draw a card. This becomes a creature when the corrupted creature leaves, and while it's blocked, blocking, or unblocked, joining corrupted creature's combat group.)
2/2

Melding two horrors keeps the horror constant. But conjoining something cute and cheerful, now that's disturbing.
Mechanic Release Notes
Show
Hide
Corruption is a new permanent type (although it's not actually printed in a card). If a spell resolves as a Corruption, it taps the targeted creature and causes its controller to draw a card. Like Bestow and Mutate, a Corrupting spell doesn't fizzle if it loses its target, it just resolves as a Creature spell. A Corruption permanent becomes a creature if the Corrupted creature no longer exists, or temporarily if that creature is blocked, blocking or unblocked, joining that creature's combat group (before it is ordered by the opponent.) Then returns being a non-creature Corruption after combat (unless the creature left.)

The main differences with Bestow/Mutate are the fact that a Corruption can be shocked to remove it (during combat) or simply die in combat with 2 damage. There's also a card advantage consideration built in, and becoming corrupted is an arduous process that taps the creature, so you can't use it immediately to attack. Better to do it after an attack, but it may be hard to corrupt if you are on the defensive.
IIW: The pinnacle of its evolution
I'm impressed that you managed to make banding even more complicated while also just making a strictly worse bestow (It can't be killed by a disenchant, I know). Still, the idea of it is very interesting, and I'm sure that it would play well, after getting used to it.
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Phyrexian Mutagene
Creature - Phyrexian Germ
Mutate 1BB
Spells without a mana cost can't be cast.
Phyrexian Mutagene must mutate below another creature.
The kithkin were ready for the combat aspect of the invasion but never contemplated the horror that the Phyrexians would cause.
0/0

IIW: farm animals
You don't really need that last line of text, but I like having it there anyway, just to remind players not to be idiots. They need all the help they can get.
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
2 years ago
Ichorborn Menace BBB
Creature - Phyrexian Aetherborn (U)
Infect
Whenever Ichorborn Menace deals damage, put a -1/-1 counter on it.
5/3

Ichorworks Marvel 4
Artifact (M)
Whenever a permanent you control is put into a graveyard from play, you lose a poison counter.
T, gain nine poison counters: Look at the top nine cards of your library. You may cast a spell from among them without paying its mana cost. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.

I wouldn't have considered Kaladesh to be a wholesome plane, but I guess after the aether revolt, it's pretty nice. phyrexian aetherborns are a very scary idea, and I like the alternate take on the aetherworks marvel. Maybe make it 6 to be more in line with the original, though I noticed you also made it look at more. Plus, the drawback is very nice.
spacemonaut wrote:
2 years ago
Contagion Smurf {BP}
Creature — Phyrexian Carrier Smurf (U)
Infect (This creature deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters and to players in the form of poison counters.)
"You don't look so good today, Sniffly Smurf!"
—Inept Smurf, last words

0/1

IIW: Make an Elder for a tribe that doesn't have an Elder yet.
Well, I guess that this is a legal card to make, but... I just don't see myself playing it ever.
Pygyzy wrote:
2 years ago
Phyrexia High
Land (Un-U)
When Phyrexia High enters the battlefield, you may sing a verse of a TV show theme song featuring young adults in high school. If you do, you get a high five counter. (Remove a high five counter from yourself, an opponent high fives you: You gain 1 life for each opponent you high fived this turn.)
T: Add 1. If you high fived a player other than yourself this turn, add one mana of any color instead. Spend this mana only to cast spells with three or more creatures in their art.
We're all compleat! We're all compleat! Hello, Phyrexia!

Iiw: A vigilante gang of fanatical Gleemax worshippers created a cyborg-bus that took over WoTC headquarters and deleted all upcoming sets. Maro and R&D are safe in a doomsday bunker, but the cyborg-bus is holding the Rules Manager hostage and demands all sets must be crowdsourced, and that every new premier set must include cards that don't fully work within the current official comprehensive rules. The Rules Manager now has to make it work or Gleemax will have him Kindslavered permanently. MaRo's been given permission to accept custom card submissions as long as they don't function as written, but any card accepted must have a printed comment from Maro about why it would never be printed. Submit a card to save the Rules Manager.
That is certainly a fiction you've written in the IIW there, and I'm more interested in reviewing it than your entry, but that's not what we're here for. The land is definitely right there in silver border, but we are still in a pandemic, so maybe keep the touching to a minimum.
Megiddo wrote:
2 years ago
Inkfathom Prophet 2U
Creature — Merfolk Wizard {R}
Whenever a counter is put on Inkfathom Prophet, untap it.
U, Tap an untapped Merfolk you control: Target creature can't be blocked this turn.
"Fear not the darkness. Fear not the current. Trust, and let us guide you."
3/2

IIW: Another mechanic that uses something other than the cards in your deck and, like, counters.
I don't really see this as phyrexian at all, no reference to any invasion, since inkfathom is already a class of merfolk. The counter untap is useful, I suppose, but I just don't see the phyrexians.

Winner: NinjaCaterpie
Next: Terrible Uses of Cleave:
https://i.redd.it/v1sy3m5ttcw71.png

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 2 years ago

I'm probably going to regret this.

note that if it's atrocious but printable, you will [probably] win.

Sporegorger_Dragon

NinjaCaterpie wrote:
2 years ago
I'm probably going to regret this.

note that if it's atrocious but printable, you will [probably] win.
I'm actually looking forward to this round, thanks for the clarification.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

Carving Charm 1RG
Instant (R)
Cleave 4BBB
[Choose one-]
-Destroy [target artifact or ench]a[ntment.
-The next spe]ll [you cast this turn costs 3RG less.
-Carving Charm deals 4 damage to target ]creature[ or plane]s[walker.]

IIW: Cost reduction
Last edited by Ink-Treader 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Welp, Ink-Treader copying the spell for each creature that spell could target set the bar pretty high right off the bat.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
Welp, Ink-Treader copying the spell for each creature that spell could target set the bar pretty high right off the bat.
I figured this was going to be the likely direction most people were going to go. I could improve it, but I don't have time to think that through right now.

Juancu

Post by Juancu » 2 years ago

Unprintable or too tame
Show
Hide
Mass Acceleration 2R
Instant (U)
Cleave 5R
Creatures you control gain double [first] strike until end of turn. (Multiple instances of first strike do nothing extra.)

Probably unprintable because of the different languages, so I'll try again.

Cheat 2B
Sorcery (R)
Cleave 6BB
Search your library for a card, then [shuffle your library and] put that card on top.

This one doesn't have language problems (I presume), but it's still probably unprintable due to searching/ordering undefined rules. Third try:

Cooking Four Primates 6GW
Sorcery (R)
Cleave - 2GG
Create a 8/8 green Ape creature token [with Trample, a Food token, and four 1/1 white Human Monk creatures] with Defender.
"A slow and methodical Field Cook becomes one with their diner."
Overeager Welding 6U
Sorcery
Cleave -
Create a 1/1 colorless Construct [artifact creature token, a] Food [token, a] Clue [token, a] Treasure [token, and a] Blood [token, and a 1/1 colorless] Thopter artifact creature token with Flying.
"Gizdo, go fetch me a.... Oh."

IIW: the pinnacle of its evolution
Last edited by Juancu 2 years ago, edited 7 times in total.

chetoos

Seraph's Kiss 1WW
Sorcery
Cleave WW
[target creature ]you [control] gain[s lifelink and gets +0/+] 4[until end of turn. Until end of turn, whenever you gain] life[, you may pay 2]. [If you do,] draw a card.

IIW: Base a card on a psychonauts enemy

Sporegorger_Dragon

I know cleave's been printed only on instants and sorceries so far, but based on rulings from text-altering spells/abilities, any changes to the text of the spell on stack should also carry over to the permanent that it becomes.

Pitcher-Drop Nepenthes
3bgu
Creature - Plant (R)
Cleave 2g
When Pitcher-Drop Nepenthes enters the battlefield, create a 0/1 green Plant creature token [for each land you control], a 1/1 green Saproling creature token [for each creature card in your graveyard], and a 1/1 blue and black Insect creature token [with flying for each card in your hand].
1/1

[Cutting-]Grafted Nepenthes
1bgu
[Host] Creature - Plant (U)
Cleave 1g
Reach
When [Cutting-]Grafted Nepenthes enters the battlefield, create a 0/1 green Plant creature token, [then create an X/X black, green, and blue Plant creature token named Nepenthes Pitcher-Plant, where X is the number of Plants you control plus the number of Plant cards in your graveyard].
1/2
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Edit: Basically, if you pay the cleave cost, it's no longer a host and can't be augmented, and its name changes as well.

Air-Layered Nepenthes
2gg
Creature - Plant (C)
Cleave 3bgu
When Air-Layered Nepenthes enters the battlefield, [you may sacrifice it. If you do,] create an X/X black, green, and blue Plant creature token named Nepenthes Pitcher-Plant, where X is the number of Plants you control plus the number of Plant cards in your graveyard.
3/4

IIW: Fungus
Last edited by Sporegorger_Dragon 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 2 years ago

[Stagger]shock 2R
Instant (U)
Cleave R
[Stagger]shock deals 2 damage to any target.
[Rebound (If you cast this spell from your hand, exile it as it resolves. At the beginning of your next upkeep, you may cast this card from exile without paying its mana cost.)]

IIW: A green vampire
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Ulka

Butcher's Chop 1BB
Instant (R)
Cleave B
[Destroy target creature.] Create a food token.
"I got the pork chop at the butcher's shop in the 8th District but man that place was sketchy'

IIW: Designer's choice

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 2 years ago

[Yamazaki and] The Thousand Heirs 2RR
[Legendary] Creature — Human Samurai (C)
Cleave 1R
[Haste, trample]
[Yamazaki and] The Thousand Heirs gets +1/+1 for each other creature named The Thousand Heirs you control.
2/2

IIW: A monoblue treefolk
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 2 years ago

Reskin UU
Instant (R)
Cleave target spell's text box.
Yugi-OH!?

The art depicts a Magic cards face being torn off to reveal a Pokemon card underneath.

Iiw: Gleemax is elected president in the 2024 campaign. Magic cards are now the official currency. Due to a printing error, every set printed for an entire year contained only Colossal Dreadmaws and Negates, tanking the US economy. To fix the problem, the Federal Reserve must issue the most expensive card ever printed. Submit a card to save the USA.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”