spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 2 years ago

Champion of the Favored 2WW
Creature — Cat Knight (R)
First strike
At the beginning of combat on your turn, each non-God creature you control that shares a color with a God you control gains indestructible until end of turn.
5/5

IIW: Neon anticapitalist cyberpunk Kamigawa
Last edited by spacemonaut 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

Hazoret, Great Protector 2RW
Legendary Creature - God (M)
Haste, indestructible, vigilance,
Hazoret, Great Protector can't attack unless you've gained life this turn.
2RW, Discard a card: Hazoret deals 2 damage to target creature, you gain 2 life.
5/5

IIW: Let's go on an adventure (as in the card type).
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Phenax, Sovereign of Selves 3UB
Legendary Enchantment Creature — God (M)
Hexproof from nonenchantment
Whenever Phenax, Sovereign of Selves attacks, up to one target non-God creature gets -X/-X until end of turn, where X is your devotion to blue and black. Create a tapped and attacking token that's a copy of that creature, except it has base power and toughness X/X.
3/5

Last edited by spacemonaut 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 2 years ago

The Elder Elemental Eye 4
Legendary Creature - Elder Eye (M)
Defender, indestructible
If one or more cards would be put into a player's graveyard from anywhere, exile them instead and that player loses 1 life.
At the beginning of your end step, if you've exiled twenty or more cards with The Elder Elemental Eye, transform it.
5/5

//

Tharizdun Unchained
() Legendary Creature - Elder God (M)
Trample, indestructible
When this creature transforms into Tharizdun Unchained or attacks, you may play a card exiled with it without paying its mana cost.
Whenever Tharizdun deals combat damage, exile that many cards from the top of defending player's library.
13/13

IIW: monsters and/or monster hunters
Last edited by NinjaCaterpie 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 2 years ago

Power of the Pantheon WUBRG
Legendary Enchantment
Your devotion to each color is increased by 1, and your devotion to each combination of colors is increased by the number of colors in that combination.
Each god you control has trample if it's green, first strike if it's red, flying if it's blue, lifelink if it's white, and menace if it's black.
Whenever another legendary enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, it becomes a creature with haste until end of turn. If that creature is not a god, it has base power and toughness equal to its mana value.

Mostly putting this in because you could make the argument that my other cards don't really count as gods.

IIW: Psychonauts

Megiddo
MEG
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Megiddo » 2 years ago

The pantheon will assemble this afternoon!
MEG

Megiddo
MEG
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Megiddo » 2 years ago

chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
The Milkman 2RW
Legendary Creature - God
Indestructible
The Milkman can't attack or block unless you sacrificed an artifact this turn.
1RW: Create an artifact token named "Milk Bottle" with "2, , sacrifice this artifact: This artifact deals 2 damage to any target. You gain 2 life."
"I am the milkman, my milk is delicious. It's fortified with what the world wants. What the world deserves."
5/5
spoilers for psychonauts 2
Show
Hide
Maligula, the Deluge of Grulovia 4UB
Legendary Creature - Psychic God
Creatures your opponents control get -2/-0
Whenever a creature an opponent controls dies, that creature's controller mills 2. If a land card is milled this way, gain 1 life.
When Maligula dies or is exiled, return her to the battlefield transformed.
6/6
///
Nona Aquato (color indicator: U)
Legendary Creature - Human Psychic
Whenever one or more creatures you control deal combat damage to a player, draw a card.
Whenever another creature you control dies, you may pay 2UB. If you do, transform Nona Aquato
3/3
Unfortunately I didn't play this game, so I don't really "get the joke" so to speak. But we can still evaluate the cards.
Milkman seems alright, though a bit expensive. You could certainly build around it; this is in the right colors for that, but without the setup I'd be disappointed in the rate. No rarity, but this would demolish any draft game, so it probably needs to be mythic.
Maligula feels like a card I might be missing an element from the flavor to really understand, as these effects feel a bit disjointed to me. It does two completely different things that, as far as I can tell, work at cross-purposes. Might be worth the challenge to build around, but it's confusing.
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Fraudulent Godhood 1B
Enchantment Aura
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature is a God in addition to its other types and has Indestructible.
If the enchanted creature becomes the target of a spell of ability, sacrifice Fraudulent Godhood at the beginning of the next upkeep step.
Ray... When someone asks you if you are a god you say yes!

IIW: Movie Line inspired cards
This is cute. Indestructibility suggests that this is probably fair!
Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
The Beatitudes of Avacyn WW
Enchantment — Saga (R)
I — Create two 1/1 white Human creature tokens.
II — Put a +1/+1 counter on each Human creature you control.
III — Create a white Angel creature token with flying, vigilance, and "this creature's power and toughness are each equal to 1 plus the number of Human creatures you control."

IIW: An abundance of caution
This is a lot of value for two mana! This might be more busted than History of Benalia in multiples.
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Goat of Dark Secrets 2B
Creature - Goat (C)
Whenever Goat of Dark Secrets enters the battlefield or dies, scry 1 then draw a card and lose a life.
0/2

IIW: Card titles that spell words with the first letter of each word
Part of me was hoping for a Black Phillip reference on this one, but the "sacrificial goat" angle seems to be where we're going here. Good value, definitely the kind of card I personally like.
spacemonaut wrote:
2 years ago
Champion of the Favored 2WW
Creature — Cat Knight (R)
First strike
At the beginning of combat on your turn, each non-God creature you control that shares a color with a God you control gains indestructible until end of turn.
5/5

i'm ready for cyberpunk anticapitalist action.
i'm also ready for my eyes to roll so hard they fall out of my head. we'll see. new set spoilers don't really do it for me anymore. But that's a longer, different post.
Did I miss some transition when creatures became obviously bonkers or something? Back in my day these things had drawbacks. I'm medium on the design; I like the concept but it feels like maybe it could be done differently. I don't have anything more specific than that at this moment.
Krishnath wrote:
2 years ago
Hazoret, Great Protector 2RW
Legendary Creature - God (M)
Haste, indestructible, vigilance,
Hazoret, Great Protector can't attack unless you've gained life this turn.
2RW, Discard a card: Hazoret deals 2 damage to target creature, you gain 2 life.
5/5

Cute, and makes sense with Hazoret's new role in AKH. My quibble would be that the haste is *far* less likely to be relevant here than on the original. Unless you have eight mana AND two cards in hand, it'll require some outside help. At that point I'd simply remove haste entirely I think. I'm noting that it can be on blocking duty even if you don't meet the condition. I'd playtest that.
spacemonaut wrote:
2 years ago
Phenax, Sovereign of Selves 3UB
Legendary Enchantment Creature — God (M)
Hexproof from nonenchantment
Whenever Phenax, Sovereign of Selves attacks, up to one target non-God creature gets -X/-X until end of turn, where X is your devotion to blue and black. Create a tapped and attacking token that's a copy of that creature, except it has base power and toughness X/X.
3/5

hold on, I recognize this IIW.
This is pretty strong, right? Kills their best guy every attack so they can't block it effectively and dodges nearly all removal? I like a lot of the elements here but it's a brutal package.
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
2 years ago
The Elder Elemental Eye 4
Legendary Creature - Elder Eye (M)
Defender, indestructible
If one or more cards would be put into a player's graveyard from anywhere, exile them instead and that player loses 1 life.
At the beginning of your end step, if you've exiled twenty or more cards with The Elder Elemental Eye, transform it.
5/5

//

Tharizdun Unchained
() Legendary Creature - Elder God (M)
Trample, indestructible
When this creature transforms into Tharizdun Unchained or attacks, you may play a card exiled with it without paying its mana cost.
Whenever Tharizdun deals combat damage, exile that many cards from the top of defending player's library.
13/13

hold on, I gotta take a screenshot real quick.
Ok, we're back. Remind me later to post something funny for you.
"elder eye" is certainly a type line. Why isn't it an elemental?
chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
Power of the Pantheon WUBRG
Legendary Enchantment
Your devotion to each color is increased by 1, and your devotion to each combination of colors is increased by the number of colors in that combination.
Each god you control has trample if it's green, first strike if it's red, flying if it's blue, lifelink if it's white, and menace if it's black.
Whenever another legendary enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, it becomes a creature with haste until end of turn. If that creature is not a god, it has base power and toughness equal to its mana value.

Mostly putting this in because you could make the argument that my other cards don't really count as gods.

Unfortunately I haven't gotten a chance to play Psychonauts since I started this post.
This is going to be tough to parse mentally since it increases your devotion to each color by two and to each combination of colors by three (assuming color pairs). I think this is confusing enough to remove that line of text entirely. The rest is amusing.

Winner: spacemonaut for Phenax!
Next: Neon anticapitalist cyberpunk Kamigawa
MEG

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

This next round is going to be painful.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Yeah, I am going to bow out of this one. Only cyberpunk I am familiar with is that based directly on Neuromancer and other works by Phillip K. Dick.

Also, if you can't make use of the haste on the turn you play the Hazoret, why are you even playing that color combo? Seriously. Dealing damage is what red does.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Some popular Cyberpunk properties in case anyone's struggling for a point of reference:
  • Akira
  • The Matrix
  • Ghost in the Shell
  • Bladerunner
  • Alita Battle Angel
  • Dark City
  • Robocop
  • Terminator
  • Judge Dredd
Basically, get you a cyber. Use it to create an oppressive world, probably with megacorporations. Now get you some punks who've been disempowered and pushed to the edges of society. Punk's a philosophy based around using the tools of society to fight back against society. In this case they use the cyber stuff to struggle and kick against the social order. Now you've got the start of a cyberpunk narrative.

If all else fails, just get something cool and Kamigawa-y and put some glowy stuff on it.

If you're attached to Kamigawa and don't want to see it touch cyberpunk, you're also free to use this round to make fun of it.
Krishnath wrote:
2 years ago
Yeah, I am going to bow out of this one. Only cyberpunk I am familiar with is that based directly on Neuromancer and other works by Phillip K. Dick.
If you do want to enter, I'm sure you'll do fine. that is cyberpunk.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

spacemonaut wrote:
2 years ago
If you do want to enter, I'm sure you'll do fine. that is cyberpunk.
Created and defined the genre.... I might come up with something. I had a flash of inspiration...

Also, for the record, I forgot that GitS was Cyberpunk. I really should have remembered as it is my favorite Anime (Seen all the animated movies, Stand Alone Complex, and 2nd Gig. Once you realize SAC takes place before the first movie, and 2nd Gig takes place after the second movie, it all makes perfect sense.)

Sporegorger_Dragon

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Uragiri, the Dying Star
4ub
Legendary Creature - Dragon Spirit (M)
Flying
When Uragiri, the Dying Star dies, each player mills five cards, then you may cast a spell with mana value 5 or less from a graveyard without paying its mana cost.
5/5
Even the most advanced of security systems couldn't protect them when they uplinked their minds to the cloud.

Benji Hikari, Pilot Prodigy
wrr
Legendary Creature - Human Pilot (M)
Defender
Benji Hikari, Pilot Prodigy gets +2/+0 for each Vehicle you control.
Whenever Benji Hikari crews a Vehicle, that Vehicle gains double strike and indestructible until end of turn.
2/1
"Our most gifted pilots are forged in trauma and hardship; I see to that personally." -General Yuu Hikari

Tsukishima, Mind Hacker
1ub
Legendary Creature - Moonfolk Ninja (R)
Ninjutsu 1ub
Whenever Tsukishima, Mind Hacker deals combat damage to a player, that player reveals that many cards from their hand. You choose one of those cards and exile it.
You may cast that cards exiled by Tsukishima, and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast that spell.
2/1
"You really need to invest in some better antivirus."

Kami of Malicious Apps
3uu
Creature - Spirit (C)
Flying
If a player would mill one or more cards, they mill that many cards plus one instead.
3/3

Kami of Unbridled Surveillance
3u
Creature - Spirit (U)
Players play with their hands revealed.
2/4
Privacy is a forgotten and naive concept.

IIW: Fruit
Last edited by Sporegorger_Dragon 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 2 years ago

"Anticapitalist" cyberpunk seems a bit redundant, no?

Relentless Street Rat 1B
Creature - Human Rogue (R)
When Relentless Street Rat enters the battlefield, each player discards a card
Daybound
2/1

//

Dauntless Decker
() Creature - Human Rogue (R)
Menace
When Dauntless Decker deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card
Nightbound
3/2

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

A Boring Dystopia 5
Legendary World Enchantment (R)
All nonlegendary nonland permanents lose all abilities.

Anyway,

Corporate Rebel 2W
Creature - Human Rebel (U)
Vigilance
Jack In 2 (When this spell resolves, scry 2 then reveal the top card of your library. If the revealed card is an artifact, enchantment, or shares a type with this card put it in your hand, otherwise put it on the bottom of your library.)
2/2

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

NinjaCaterpie wrote:
2 years ago
"Anticapitalist" cyberpunk seems a bit redundant, no?
after Cyberpunk 2077 coming out with its neon liberalism take, I felt the redundancy was worth specifying

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Judging will be in a few hours, small round or not! Get your hot takes in

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 2 years ago

Breaker of Shackles 2GW
Creature — Human Soldier (U)
Whenever Breaker of Shackles enters the battlefield or deals combat damage to a player, destroy up to one target artifact or enchantment. If you do, create a 1/1 colorless Spirit creature token and you gain 1 life.
3/3

Please don't choose me as I am on vacation and can't promise to judge until Saturday
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

chetoos

Unending Crunch 2b
Sorcery - Common
Target player discards 2 cards. Create a 1/1 colorless spirit for each land card discarded this way.
The new boss at Norntendo implemented extreme measures to ensure that the products ship on time.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Courier of Secrets 2U
Creature - Human Scout (M)
Ward 3
When Courier of Secrets enters the battlefield, exile the top four cards of your library face down.
Whenever Courier of Secrets deals combat damage to a player, exile the top card of your library face down.
You may look at cards exiled with Courier of Secrets at any time.
At the beginning of your end step, you may return a card exiled with Courier of Secrets to your hand. If you do, exile the top card of your library.
1/2

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
Uragiri, the Dying Star
4ub
Legendary Creature - Dragon Spirit (M)
Flying
When Uragiri, the Dying Star dies, each player mills five cards, then you may cast a spell with mana value 5 or less from a graveyard without paying its mana cost.
5/5
Even the most advanced of security systems couldn't protect them when they uplinked their minds to the cloud.

Benji Hikari, Pilot Prodigy
wrr
Legendary Creature - Human Pilot (M)
Defender
Benji Hikari, Pilot Prodigy gets +2/+0 for each Vehicle you control.
Whenever Benji Hikari crews a Vehicle, that Vehicle gains double strike and indestructible until end of turn.
2/1
"Our most gifted pilots are forged in trauma and hardship; I see to that personally." -General Yuu Hikari

Tsukishima, Mind Hacker
1ub
Legendary Creature - Moonfolk Ninja (R)
Ninjutsu 1ub
Whenever Tsukishima, Mind Hacker deals combat damage to a player, that player reveals that many cards from their hand. You choose one of those cards and exile it.
You may cast that cards exiled by Tsukishima, and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast that spell.
2/1
"You really need to invest in some better antivirus."

Kami of Malicious Apps
3uu
Creature - Spirit (C)
Flying
If a player would mill one or more cards, they mill that many cards plus one instead.
3/3

Kami of Unbridled Surveillance
3u
Creature - Spirit (U)
Players play with their hands revealed.
2/4
Privacy is a forgotten and naive concept.

IIW: Fruit
listen i was going to make a four-point scoring thing where you were graded against neon, anticapitalist, cyberpunk, and kamigawa, but then I have no idea how to grade five whole cards so I'm skipping that.

But they're good cards okay?? So this is fine. In hindsight that might've been exhausting grading everything on four scales and it's late at night while i'm on the tail end of recovery from a flu so I guess I distinctly appreciate someone submitting a whole five cards for once for breaking my system.

They are all some quantity of solid card, kamigawa vibes, anticapitalist vibes, and cyberpunk vibes.

Benji Hikari's my personal favourite and it makes perfect sense that cyberpunk kamigawa would have kami of the surveillance state.
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
2 years ago
Relentless Street Rat 1B
Creature - Human Rogue (R)
When Relentless Street Rat enters the battlefield, each player discards a card
Daybound
2/1

//

Dauntless Decker
() Creature - Human Rogue (R)
Menace
When Dauntless Decker deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card
Nightbound
3/2

You know, the division between daytime and nightlife works really well in a cyberpunk setting. (Oh my goodness, are they going do approach these sets with daybound/nightbound the way they tried to approach Zendikar/Kaldheim/Strixhaven with MDFCs? It might even work better.)

These are great, and Dauntless Decker is a menace.
Krishnath wrote:
2 years ago
A Boring Dystopia 5
Legendary World Enchantment (R)
All nonlegendary nonland permanents lose all abilities.

Anyway,

Corporate Rebel 2W
Creature - Human Rebel (U)
Vigilance
Jack In 2 (When this spell resolves, scry 2 then reveal the top card of your library. If the revealed card is an artifact, enchantment, or shares a type with this card put it in your hand, otherwise put it on the bottom of your library.)
2/2

(small clap for boring dystopia and i hope never to see it in print)

Jack in is a nice mechanic. And it's a rebel mechanic! You put rebels in here! In cyberpunk! You sly dog, that almost snuck right past me, but it's perfect.
Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
Breaker of Shackles 2GW
Creature — Human Soldier (U)
Whenever Breaker of Shackles enters the battlefield or deals combat damage to a player, destroy up to one target artifact or enchantment. If you do, create a 1/1 colorless Spirit creature token and you gain 1 life.
3/3

Please don't choose me as I am on vacation and can't promise to judge until Saturday
I hope you enjoy your vacation! I really like this one and you did a good job. Smashing it and releasing its spirit is a nice touch—it makes this card stand apart from other naturalize effects and makes this feel Kamigawa-y.
chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
Unending Crunch 2b
Sorcery - Common
Target player discards 2 cards. Create a 1/1 colorless spirit for each land card discarded this way.
The new boss at Norntendo implemented extreme measures to ensure that the products ship on time.

eyyyy is that a CDPR jab? topical humor, I like it

This one makes the player give up their actually useful cards from the pressure of crunch or gives you spirits if they opt to keep them and toss lands instead. That's a pretty neat dilemma to offer up.
Krishnath wrote:
2 years ago
Courier of Secrets 2U
Creature - Human Scout (M)
Ward 3
When Courier of Secrets enters the battlefield, exile the top four cards of your library face down.
Whenever Courier of Secrets deals combat damage to a player, exile the top card of your library face down.
You may look at cards exiled with Courier of Secrets at any time.
At the beginning of your end step, you may return a card exiled with Courier of Secrets to your hand. If you do, exile the top card of your library.
1/2

this is some good smuggling flavor and a compelling (if complex!) approach at card draw & curiosity effects.

this is one of those difficult rounds where everyone made some solid cards and I've been trying to decide which one is just a stronger contender than all the others for 15 minutes and I don't think I can make that call in my present condition (see: flu) (not covid thankfully, i got that tested twice) so i'm going to choose on the completely unfair criteria of the IIW i want to see next.

WINNER by tiebreaker: NinjaCaterpie

NEXT: monsters and/or monster hunters

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

But did you catch the reference for the Courier of Secrets?
SPOILER
Show
Hide
It's Johnny Mnemonic! And if you haven't seen that movie, do so. It catches the Cyberpunk flavor flawlessly, PKD even thought so, only second movie based on his work he actually liked and endorsed, the other being Blade Runner.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Krishnath wrote:
2 years ago
But did you catch the reference for the Courier of Secrets?
I did!!! :grin:

(I actually half expected a self-burn effect to really stick to what Johnny deals with, but I totally respect keeping the design clean without it.)

Also, I think Benji Hikari might've been a thinly veiled Shinji Ikari reference. I could gush about the designs from this competition but I don't have the oomph in me today for that so I had to make it brief.)

Sporegorger_Dragon

spacemonaut wrote:
2 years ago
Also, I think Benji Hikari might've been a thinly veiled Shinji Ikari reference.
Bingo!

chetoos

I probably should have used skull raid wording. ""If less than 2 nonland cards..."

Entry:
One who hunts monsters 1W
Creature - Human Warrior
First Strike
Whenever a non-human creature an opponent controls dies, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature. Then, you may pay XBB, where X is 5 minus the number of +1/+1 counters on this creature. If you do, transform this creature and remove all +1/+1 counters on it.
"I will protect my town from the monsters that plague it."
2/2
/////
Monstrous Hunter (Color indicator: Black)
Creature - Human Assassin
Deathtouch
Whenever one or more creatures die, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature. This ability only triggers twice each turn.
2B, Sacrifice one other creature: Destroy target creature. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
"Even if I have to kill them all to do it."
3/3

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

huh it never posted my post for the last challenge.... and this is why I don't post via mobile.

Anyway on to this current challenge:

Starving Cannibal BR
Creature - Human (U)
Whenever another Human creature dies, create a food.
Whenever you sacrifice a food, transform Starving Cannibal.
The bitter cold of winter had taken everything from Igor but his hunger
1/1

------------

The Wendigo
Legendary Snow Creature - Beast Horror
First Strike, Shroud
The Wendigo must attack each turn if able.
Whenever a creature dealt combat damage by The Wendigo dies, create a food and put a +1/+1 counter on The Wendigo.
For feasting on its own kind, the Wendigo is cursed to never be satiated
5/5

IIW: Innistrad: Monster of the Week
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”