NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

vishamon
Custom Card Connoisseur
Pronoun: he / him

Post by vishamon » 2 years ago

Desolate Barrens
Land (C)
Desolate Barrens enters the battlefield tapped unless you control three or more Wastes.
When Desolate Barrens enters the battlefield untapped, you may put target artifact card from your graveyard on top of your library.
: Add .

IIW: Graveyard Mechanics
Last edited by vishamon 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

Desert Survivor 1GG
Desert Creature - Human Scout
1W, T: Desert Survivor gains protection from Deserts until the end of turn.
Tap an untapped Desert land: Create a Food token.
2/2

(this would require desert to become supertype of cards similar to snow, mana made by desert things would be sand mana)

IIW: Sand mana and desert as a Supertype similar to snow
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

(So basically Dominaria)

Anyway,

Dust Storm 2
Instant (C)
Dust Storm costs 1 less to cast if you control a Desert.
Dust Storm deals 1 damage to each attacking creature.

Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done.

IIW: Disney Animated Canon. (That means no Pixar. Only movies made by Disney Animation Studios.)
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 2 years ago

Nemesis of the Ebon Crusade WW
Legendary Creature — Human Cleric (R)
Lifelink, hexproof from black
Whenever Survivor of the Ebon Crusade attacks, exile target black permanent with mana value less than Nemesis of the Ebon Crusade's power.
After the Ebon Crusade toppled the last of the empires of Terisaire, the only ones willing to fight the zealots were fanatics themselves.
3/1

IIW: Homarids
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

stille_nacht
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by stille_nacht » 2 years ago

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
Welp, looks like my prompt didn't stimulate the imaginations as I hoped, which is surprising considering the breadth of monsters Resident Evil has to offer, most notably Zombies.

Ah well, better luck next time.
stille_nacht wrote:
2 years ago
Dimitrescu 2BR
Creature - Legendary Vampire (M)

Trample
When Dimitrescu enters the battlefield, gain control of target human.
When Dimitrescu deals damage to a human, gain control of that human.

Wait. If she doesn't have that kind of magic, how did she enthrall Chris?

4/4

IIW: Fantasy Post-Apocalypse
Name drop of a villain from Resident Evil 8. The card itself is a perfectly serviceable vampire, although Lady Dimitrescu doesn't enthrall Chris or anyone in the game. Perhaps you meant Ethan, our 1st person view protagonist?
Winning by default lol.

I was referring to all the memes about her online haha. 8ft tall vampire girlfriend etc etc.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

stille_nacht wrote:
2 years ago
Winning by default lol.

I was referring to all the memes about her online haha. 8ft tall vampire girlfriend etc etc.
So engrossed was I in the world of pathogens and parasites and mutated freaks, that I forgot I lived in a world were no media exists in a vacuum and all are subject to meme culture.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 2 years ago

Ghoul Farm
Land - Desert (C)
T: Add c.
When Ghoul Farm leaves the battlefield, you may pay . When you do, return up to one target Zombie card from your graveyard to your hand.
DONT OPEN

Iiw: Urban Horror

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 2 years ago

Plant Among the Ashes 2GG
Sorcery
Search your library for X basic lands, where X is the number of land cards in your graveyard, reveal them, put two of them onto the battlefield tapped, and the rest in your hand, then shuffle.
"The end is over. All that's left for us is to begin anew."
—Merkar, survivor

Buried Under Permafrost 2BBB
Snow Enchantment
When Buried Under Permafrost enters the battlefield, exile all creature cards from all graveyards with a frost counter on them.
2S: Return target creature card from exile with a frost counter on it onto the battlefield tapped under your control. It's a black snow Zombie in addition to its other types. Activate only once per turn.
Many cities and battlefields were covered in deep snow after the wars ended. The ice hides the corpses, but also preserves them so well, they sometimes dig their way out.

IIW: creature type Dreadnought

EDIT: buried all creature cards in the graveyard under permafrost
Last edited by lookingupanddown 2 years ago, edited 6 times in total.

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 2 years ago

A huge amount of fantasy settings have ancient ruins filled with powerful magic or tech that nobody can create anymore, making them de facto post-apocalyptic.

But I'm guessing you want something a little more explicit.

The Mournland 3BG
Legendary Enchantment (M)
Players can't produce mana.
All mana can be paid with 2 life (per mana)

IIW: Elementals

vishamon
Custom Card Connoisseur

lookingupanddown wrote:
2 years ago
Snow Enchantment
When Buried Under Permafrost enters the battlefield, exile a creature cards from all graveyards with a frost counter on them.
2S: Return target creature card from exile with a frost counter on it onto the battlefield tapped under your control. It's a black snow Zombie in addition to its other types.
Many cities and battlefields were covered in deep snow after the wars ended. The ice hides the corpses, but also preserves them so well, they sometimes dig their way out.
I think you want "exile all creature cards" :teach:

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 2 years ago

@stille_nacht it's almost time...
MEG

Megiddo
MEG

i'm about to not have internet for two days so... I hope stille_nacht judges.

if not, prepare yourselves for a treat when I return.
MEG

stille_nacht

Judging! Sorry I got slammed with work this week.

stille_nacht

On the spot, arbitrary criteria:
Fantasy:
- Is this fantasy?
Post Apocalyptic:
- Is this post apocalyptic?
Design:
- Does this fit into some kind of format that people play?
- Does the design inform the flavor of the card?
- Generally am I excited?

God there are so many entries. AGH

The Last Sliver
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Megiddo
Megiddo wrote:
2 years ago
The Last Sliver WUBRG
Legendary Creature — Sliver {M}
Each Sliver card in your graveyard has mutate. The mutate cost is equal to its mana cost.
You may cast Sliver spells from your graveyard using their mutate ability.
7/7
Fantasy: 2/2
Good use of a magic tribe. Slivers are like roaches canonically, so them surviving an event makes sense

Post Apocalypse: 3/3
Love the mutate flavor, a good example of card functionality following intended flavor. I could easily imagine a story where the last remaining sliver roams around the hive, eating other slivers and gaining their abilities.

Design: 4/5
EDH staple for sure, which I interpret as the intention. The mutate is very interesting, because you start to create one mega-sliver, but if you don't choose crystalline first its quite vulnerable.
New Beginnings
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Legend wrote:
2 years ago
New Beginnings (Mythic)
2BRG
Enchantment
When New Beginnings enters the battlefield, destroy all lands.
Players may play basic land cards from their graveyards
You may play an additional land each turn.

IIW: entropy counters (A permanent is exiled when its entropy counters exceed its mana value.)
Fantasy: 0/2
Unfortunately this doesn't really imply a fantasy element.

Post-Apocalypse: 1.5/3
"Reclaiming polluted land" flavor is interesting! Technically though, the biggest effect of the card (destroy all lands) is really the apocalypse itself.

Design: 2/5
Very hard for me to evaluate this card, so this might be unfair. I have a hard time imagining the deck this goes in. It's a jund armageddon that allows your opponent to replay two basics, and that play pattern is a bit odd to me. Typically, geddon effects are paired with Flagstones of Trokair or maybe mana-generating artifacts. As it is, this seems like an OK card for EDH maybe? I would actually have preferred this without the "basic" restriction to enable maybe some interesting shenanigans.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
vishamon wrote:
2 years ago
Desolate Barrens
Land (C)
Desolate Barrens enters the battlefield tapped unless you control three or more Wastes.
When Desolate Barrens enters the battlefield untapped, you may put target artifact card from your graveyard on top of your library.
: Add .

IIW: Graveyard Mechanics
Unfortunately this does not directly imply a fantasy element. We even have desolate barrens on Earth! [(cough)] Nevada [(cough)]
Apocalyse: 2/3
Ruin-delving is a very popular trope, and I like it! Searching through barrens for lost technology is always nice.
Design: 3.5/5
I usually evaluate commons in draft context, and would say it fits in fine as a common-power-level card (especially given that its restriction is basically impossible to fulfill) but this feels like an uncommon-and-up effect to me personally (build-around, engine). Moreso if the set has a lot of land-wastes in it or some such theming. Also I am less fond of really restrictive conditioning, I would have preferred if it just always entered tapped, or upping its rarity and requiring only 1 waste.

Desert Survivor
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Desert Survivor 1GG
Desert Creature - Human Scout
1W, T: Desert Survivor gains protection from Deserts until the end of turn.
Tap an untapped Desert land: Create a Food token.
2/2

(this would require desert to become supertype of cards similar to snow, mana made by desert things would be sand mana)

IIW: Sand mana and desert as a Supertype similar to snow
Despite this being super cool, it fits into fallout as much as fantasy.

Post-Apocalyse: 1.5/3
Really like the surviving in the desert flavor, bunkering down against sand and foraging. Scraping survival out of nothing feels very post-apocalypse. Unfortunately, it isn't really distinctly "post-apocalypse", as there are people who live in the desert.

I really like the core idea, getting food from deserts is really interesting to me. This might even serve as a core engine for some archetype of token/food deck. The one comment I have is that the food generation should probably at least cost something / be sorcery speed. Assuming deserts are playable in this theoretical set, it seems a bit excessive for every single one to be able to make a food token. Any payoff would be really easy when you can make 3+ foods per turn at instant speed, and I could easily imagine a standard format overtaken by such a thing. It might even be dangerous in modern with asmo... and feasting troll king!
Dust Storm
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Krishnath wrote:
2 years ago
(So basically Dominaria)

Anyway,

Dust Storm 2
Instant (C)
Dust Storm costs 1 less to cast if you control a Desert.
Dust Storm deals 1 damage to each attacking creature.

Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done.

IIW: Disney Animated Canon. (That means no Pixar. Only movies made by Disney Animation Studios.)
I've even been in a dust storm. I seen it! Dust everywhere, very unpleasant.

Post-Apocalypse: 1/3
While dust-storms certainly might be a feature of the post-apocalypse, they aren't really unique to it.

I like the design, it's rare to see a draftable common which also might be a viable sideboard card! Assuming there's some kinda desert theming.
Nemesis of the Ebon Crusade
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
Nemesis of the Ebon Crusade WW
Legendary Creature — Human Cleric (R)
Lifelink, hexproof from black
Whenever Survivor of the Ebon Crusade attacks, exile target black permanent with mana value less than Nemesis of the Ebon Crusade's power.
After the Ebon Crusade toppled the last of the empires of Terisaire, the only ones willing to fight the zealots were fanatics themselves.
3/1

It is quite fantasy.

Post-Apocalypse: 0/3
While it's reasonable to say that some kind of war could be apocalyptic, this feels much more like a holy war than an apocalypse.

Interesting black hate card, very thematic. Probably more of a standard card (perhaps mainboard in white aggro at its rate), if only because modern hate has been pushed pretty far. Just personal preference, but it doesn't really make me excited to play it to be honest.

Ghoul Farm
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Pygyzy wrote:
2 years ago
Ghoul Farm
Land - Desert (C)
T: Add c.
When Ghoul Farm leaves the battlefield, you may pay . When you do, return up to one target Zombie card from your graveyard to your hand.
DONT OPEN

Iiw: Urban Horror
It is fantasy.

Post-apocalypse: 1.5/3
Really the main post-apocalyptic implication is that it's a desert. Perhaps a different name might have made it more specific? As it is, for example, it would fit perfectly well into Amonkhet/ other egypt themed stuff.

Design: 3/5
Common power level payoffs are always interesting in draft, but tricky because this requries some kind of hypothetical way to sac your lands and you have to run zombies. Additionally, the flavor is a bit confusing to me in that it seems more like burial ground or pit or something rather than a Farm.

Also random note, I'm a big fan of the DONT DEAD OPEN INSIDE memes.
Plant Among Ashes // Buried Under Permafrost
SPOILER
Show
Hide
lookingupanddown wrote:
2 years ago
Plant Among the Ashes 2GG
Sorcery
Search your library for X basic lands, where X is the number of land cards in your graveyard, reveal them, put two of them onto the battlefield tapped, and the rest in your hand, then shuffle.
"The end is over. All that's left for us is to begin anew."
—Merkar, survivor

Snow Enchantment
When Buried Under Permafrost enters the battlefield, exile all creature cards from all graveyards with a frost counter on them.
2S: Return target creature card from exile with a frost counter on it onto the battlefield tapped under your control. It's a black snow Zombie in addition to its other types. Activate only once per turn.

EDIT: buried all creature cards in the graveyard under permafrost
Fantasy: 1.5/2
Buried under permafrost is a good fantasy spin on the nuclear winter, given that it makes zombies, but the flavor text is a bit clumsy to me. Plant among ashes has great flavor text, but is not explicitly fantasy.

With the flavor text, both of these are clearly post apocalyptic.

Plant among ashes is pretty interesting in that it basically ramps you 2, but has the potential to do some other interesting combo things if it can empty your deck of all lands. Also, just having the lands in hand / discarding them provides some potential use space. (4/5)
Buried under permafrost, while cool, seems a bit clunky to me. It's incredibly expensive to the point where it's barely even a draft bomb, and I kind of doubt it can be used competitively. In EDH it probably wins you the game immediately, but it doesn't really excite me as an edh card (personal opinion I know). (3/5)
The Mournland
SPOILER
Show
Hide
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
2 years ago
A huge amount of fantasy settings have ancient ruins filled with powerful magic or tech that nobody can create anymore, making them de facto post-apocalyptic.

But I'm guessing you want something a little more explicit.

The Mournland 3BG
Legendary Enchantment (M)
Players can't produce mana.
All mana can be paid with 2 life (per mana)

IIW: Elementals
Why must I be attacked sirra? But you aren't wrong. For the card specifically, I wish there was some flavor text on this thing , but the name is pretty explicit.

Again, name is really explicit. I like the idea that the land is tainted and it fits in with some kind of magical / mana disaster.

Design: 4.5/5
TBH I'm unsure if "players can't produce mana" means lands can't produce mana? But the meat of the card is very interesting. It's clearlly enabling some kind of very unfair life-gain-mana-draw engine, and I'm here for it. THe conditions are difficult enough that the deck shell will need to be quite interesting and synergistic (you need to rush it out, you need to have lifegain cards, you need to translate mana into draw in BG). Overall I'd be excited to see this card.
Winner:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Winner: NinjaCaterpie
HM: Megiddo
Next: Elementals

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

Elementals, eh?

Surprise Elemental 2UR
Creature - Elemental (U)
Flash, First Strike
Surprise Elemental gets +1/+0 for each instant and sorcery in your graveyard, and for each instant and sorcery you own in exile.
At the beginning of your end step, sacrifice Surprise Elemental.
"Well, that was certainly unexpected" - Daltus, Izzet Partymage.
0/1

IIW: Disney Animated Canon (that means no pixar).
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 2 years ago

Sludge Elemental 2GB
Creature — Elemental (U)
Menace
Whenever one or more counters are placed on a non-planeswalker permanent you don't control, you may pay 2 life. If you do, return Sludge Elemental from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.
4/1

Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Ulka

Amosite Elemental 2RR
Creature - Elemental (U)
B/R: Amosite Elemental deals 1 damage to every target.
"The flaming limbs of the smoking elemental are the least deadly part."
- Thranian Miner

2/4

IIW: A card that would fit in either modern horizion set

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 2 years ago

Sun Dog 2WW
Snow Creature - Elemental Dog (U)
Flying
As long as it's your turn, Sun Dog has double strike.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain 5 life.
"I've seen them accompany every sunrise on this plane. I've always felt well-rested and ready for a new day afterwards, even after a long night on patrol."
—Ajani

2/3

Last edited by lookingupanddown 2 years ago, edited 4 times in total.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 2 years ago

but isn't it also a dog

Megiddo
MEG

and we're back on wifi! To a great judging, no less.

Corruption 2BB
Creature — Elemental Incarnation {M}
Lifelink
Exude 3B (While you search your library, you may pay 3B and reveal this card from your library. Exude only once each turn.)
Whenever you exude Corruption or when it dies, each opponent loses 2 life and you gain 2 life.
4/4
SPOILER
Show
Hide
(if the reminder text isn't clear, the intention is that you can't reveal two different cards while you search. you can only reveal one card with an exude ability per turn even if you have multiples available.)
IIW: one card of a cycle.
MEG

vishamon
Custom Card Connoisseur

stille_nacht wrote:
2 years ago
Unfortunately this does not directly imply a fantasy element. We even have desolate barrens on Earth! [(cough)] Nevada [(cough)]
Apocalyse: 2/3
Ruin-delving is a very popular trope, and I like it! Searching through barrens for lost technology is always nice.
I usually evaluate commons in draft context, and would say it fits in fine as a common-power-level card (especially given that its restriction is basically impossible to fulfill) but this feels like an uncommon-and-up effect to me personally (build-around, engine). Moreso if the set has a lot of land-wastes in it or some such theming. Also I am less fond of really restrictive conditioning, I would have preferred if it just always entered tapped, or upping its rarity and requiring only 1 waste.
I went with three and common rarity because of the existing cycle. I guess I should have given it the "Waste" subtype and made the wording "three or more other" Wastes, in order to make it limited playable. This would of course imply a future Oracle change that gives the Wastes the Waste subtype, which is the reason I originally didn't do it.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 2 years ago

Kolaghan's Last Breath 1BR
Instant (R)
Target player discards a card. If a Dragon died under your control this turn, create a 2/1 red and black Elemental creature token for each card that player has discarded this turn.

IIW: Blaseball and other surreal splorts
Last edited by spacemonaut 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 2 years ago

Thank you for the fair judgment. I appreciate your input. I think I missed the mark a little for the reasons you pointed out, but taking your feedback into consideration, I have some ideas how to make it a little more cohesive.

Shivan Elemental
Creature - Elemental (R)
Shivan Elemental enters the battlefield with a number of +1/+1 counters on it equal to the amount of r spent to cast it.
r: Move a +1/+1 counter from Shivan Elemental to another target Elemental you control. That creature gains flying and haste until end of turn. Destroy it at end of combat.
Volcanic updrafts on Shiv are extremely dangerous, even for those nowhere near them.
0/0

Iiw: Unlikely Allies

Ulka

lookingupanddown wrote:
2 years ago
Sun Dog 2WW
Flying
"I've seen them accompany every sunrise on this plane. I've always felt well-rested and ready for a new day afterwards, even after a long night on patrol."
—Ajani

2/3

I love the lore here given I look forward to winter for sundogs every year

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 2 years ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Krishnath wrote:
2 years ago
Elementals, eh?

Surprise Elemental 2UR
Creature - Elemental (U)
Flash, First Strike
Surprise Elemental gets +1/+0 for each instant and sorcery in your graveyard, and for each instant and sorcery you own in exile.
At the beginning of your end step, sacrifice Surprise Elemental.
"Well, that was certainly unexpected" - Daltus, Izzet Partymage.
0/1

IIW: Disney Animated Canon (that means no pixar).
Cute, but it feels a bit underwhelming and IMO doesn't do enough to differentiate itself from a burn spell to be worth all the text.
Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
Sludge Elemental 2GB
Creature — Elemental (U)
Menace
Whenever one or more counters are placed on a non-planeswalker permanent you don't control, you may pay 2 life. If you do, return Sludge Elemental from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.
4/1

I'm not seeing the link between counters and sludge but I do dig the life cost on recursion. The trigger wording is unfortunately clunky but otherwise I like it.
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Amosite Elemental 2RR
Creature - Elemental (U)
B/R: Amosite Elemental deals 1 damage to every target.
"The flaming limbs of the smoking elemental are the least deadly part."
- Thranian Miner

2/4

IIW: A card that would fit in either modern horizion set
That... seems like a lot. Pestilence/Pyrohemia on a stick that nukes face and wipes weak creatures every turn is a bit frightening, especially at uncommon.
lookingupanddown wrote:
2 years ago
Sun Dog 2WW
Flying
—Ajani

2/3

Seems like a real solid limited beatstick bordering bomb. The abilities tie nicely to parhelia but as a card feel a bit disjointed.
Megiddo wrote:
2 years ago
and we're back on wifi! To a great judging, no less.

Corruption 2BB
Creature — Elemental Incarnation {M}
Lifelink
Exude 3B (While you search your library, you may pay 3B and reveal this card from your library. Exude only once each turn.)
Whenever you exude Corruption or when it dies, each opponent loses 2 life and you gain 2 life.
4/4
SPOILER
Show
Hide
(if the reminder text isn't clear, the intention is that you can't reveal two different cards while you search. you can only reveal one card with an exude ability per turn even if you have multiples available.)
IIW: one card of a cycle.
Oh goodness, what on earth is this mechanic. This one seems fine because it's expensive even though it doesn't cost cards, but I feel like the design space for this mechanic overall is like one cycle every Modern Horizons set, with abilities limited to what's safe on Storm cards (like this one). It's kind of cool but also so narrow.
spacemonaut wrote:
2 years ago
Kolaghan's Last Breath 1BR
Instant (R)
Target player discards a card. If a Dragon died under your control this turn, create a 2/1 red and black Elemental creature token for each card that player has discarded this turn.

IIW: Blaseball and other surreal splorts
Kind of cool, but seems... very narrow. It needs both discard synergy and dying Dragons - I wouldn't be surprised if you could entirely remove the Dragon clause here and not have this be busted. And all you get at the end is a few weak elementals...
Pygyzy wrote:
2 years ago
Thank you for the fair judgment. I appreciate your input. I think I missed the mark a little for the reasons you pointed out, but taking your feedback into consideration, I have some ideas how to make it a little more cohesive.

Shivan Elemental
Creature - Elemental (R)
Shivan Elemental enters the battlefield with a number of +1/+1 counters on it equal to the amount of r spent to cast it.
r: Move a +1/+1 counter from Shivan Elemental to another target Elemental you control. That creature gains flying and haste until end of turn. Destroy it at end of combat.
Volcanic updrafts on Shiv are extremely dangerous, even for those nowhere near them.
0/0

Iiw: Unlikely Allies
Oh, the updrafts are so flavourful, I love them, though they should sacrifice rather than destroy. The card is a bit busy with the monohybrid Chroma counters and all that, though.
Winner: @Pygyzy
Next: Unlikely Allies

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”