NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
Pygyzy wrote:
2 years ago
A cursed book is a popular trope and this is a good representation.
Oh, that's - a different kind of paper.
Indeed. I knew it was a little risky going for a Japanese urban legend when I made the card though, though in the reflavored context I presented it wasn't necessarily 'toilet paper'

Juancu

Post by Juancu » 2 years ago

Ozkler, Chaotic Inventor 1UR
Legendary Creature - Human Artificer (R)
Look at the top card of your library any time
You may cast the top card of your library if it's an artifact, or has a single target. When you cast a spell this way, reselect its controller at random, then reselect its target at random.
"Did I cast that?"
1/4

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Is there a way to do sitcom tropes outside of silver border? I love this challenge in theory but uncards genuinely take longer to design
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
"Did I cast that?"
Steve Urkel?!
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
"Did I cast that?"
Steve Urkel?!
No, obviously that's a quote from Ozkler, the wacky and bumbling artificer who is the star of the hit Bablovian primetime comedy "My Life as a Lab Homunculus"
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Sporegorger_Dragon

Lucinda the Lovely
2rr
Legendary Creature - Human Citizen (M)
Partner with Richie Ronaldo
Vaudeville- Whenever another creature you control becomes the target of a spell or ability that can target Lucinda the Lovely, copy that spell or ability, and change its target to Lucinda.
Wacky Scheme- When Lucinda becomes the target of a spell or ability, you may change the target of that spell or ability from Lucinda to another target chosen at random.
2/2

Richie Ronaldo
2bb
Partner with Lucinda the Lovely
You've Got Some 'Splaining To Do!- Creatures you control named Lucinda the Lovely have ward-Pay 3 life.
¡Mira que tiene cosa!- When a creature you control named Lucinda the Lovely becomes the target of a spell or ability, Richie Ronaldo gets +2/+0 and gains menace until end of turn. This ability triggers only once per turn.
4/2

Token Minority
1g
Creature - Human (C)
Token Minority counts as a token.
2/2
"Really?" -Teferi

Himbo Jock
2g
Creature - Human Warrior (C)
4/2
"He's got pecs the size of watermelons and ten-pack abs, and can bench-press a truck, but I saw him pushing a door that said 'pull' for a solid ten minutes." -Darryl, college student

IIW: Alice in Wonderland

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

Don't mind me, just making sure people don't think I died again, lol.

I'm gonna have to sit this one out as well, as I am not really a sitcom kinda person. To be honest, I don't really watch television, and haven't for 20+ years.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 2 years ago

Laugh Track 1BB
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a creature dies, put a sound counter on Laugh Track. If there are five or more sound counters on Laugh Track, that creature's controller discards a card.
4RR, Remove X counters from Laugh Track: Each player discards X cards, then draws X cards. Activate this ability only once per turn and only if three or more creatures you control died this turn.
Some Rakdos riot mages have found that those who died in previous performances help fill dead air during an ongoing one.

IIW: a moment of desperation
Last edited by lookingupanddown 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Juancu

Very Weird experimental mechanics: Plot Twist, Mistaken Identity
Show
Hide

Expert Fraudster 3U
Creature - Human Rogue (C)
Mistaken Identity 3UU (You may cast this for 3UU, as if it had flash, to be merged on top of target creature you control. Unmerge the bottom into exile, then it phases in tapped.)
2/5

Mistaken Identity is like Mutate (which uses 'merge' in the rules) except it always merges on top, it doesn't care about Humanity, and expels the bottom creature as a new object. I made it "phase in from exile" so it doesn't interact with Etb triggers, which would make this mechanic focus on flickering. Instead its power is in changing targets and blocking assignments. It should be a combat trick, not a value engine.

Jump the Megadolon U
Instant
Target creature you control gains flying and hexproof until end of turn.
Plot Twist 3 - (3, Exile this card from your hand: Shuffle this card and the top card of your library, face down, into your Script Pile, then draw a card.)

Script Pile
Whenever an opponent casts a spell, look at the top card of this pile. If it has Plot Twist, you may cast it without paying its mana cost. If you don't cast it, put it on top or the bottom of your library.

A random effect mechanic. It's an expensive cycling, but each time an opponent casts a spell, you get a random effect. Maybe it was the perfect Plot Twist, maybe a Scry 1. This mechanic is kinda parasitic, cause you want to get Plot Twists from the top of your library, but then again, there's only one Script pile.
Last edited by Juancu 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

The Never Seen Wall 2W
Legendary Creature - Wall
The Never Seen Wall can not be the target of spells or abilities.
Whenever The Never Seen Wall dies, create five White 1/1 Human creature tokens.
0/4

IIW: Cards that shouldn't win a Club Flamingo Game
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Sporegorger_Dragon

Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Whenever The Never Seen Wall dies, create five White Human creature tokens.
:rofl: At least give the friends some toughness.
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
I hope you win just so we can see you try to judge this without invoking a paradox.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 2 years ago

Drop-In Landlord
Creature — Human Rogue (U)
Menace
Whenever Drop-In Landlord deals combat damage to a player, tap target land that player controls. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step. Create a Treasure token.
Dash RR
2/1

IIW: Genies, djinns, and efreeti
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 2 years ago

Winter Spirit RGW
Enchantment (R)
Creatures you control get +1/+1.
Whenever one or more creatures you control attack, goad target creature an opponent controls. (Until your next turn, that creature attacks each combat if able and attacks a player other than you if able.)

IIW: Octopuses, squids, illithids, and other things with tentacles

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 2 years ago

Lots of peeps missing P/T or IIWs, so be sure to correct that before judging!

Juancu

I think it's just me, since I added extra cards.
I don't want to clutter the contest with my entries, so no IIW on extra posts is my way to say "Skippable" :P

Ulka

2 years ago
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Whenever The Never Seen Wall dies, create five White Human creature tokens.
:rofl: At least give the friends some toughness.
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
I hope you win just so we can see you try to judge this without invoking a paradox.
whoops. I forgot to add that they are 1/1s

Phyrexian Editor

Post by Phyrexian Editor » 2 years ago

Jump the Shark 1wb
Instant {R}
Target creature gains flying and lifelink and gets +1/+1 until end of turn. Exile Jump the Shark and return it to the battlefield transformed.
There is a fine line between an atmosphere of excitement…

Sagging Ratings
Enchantment {R} [Black]
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player puts a -1/-1 counter on a creature they control.
…and the stench of desperation.

IIW: One fun Host Creature and one fun creature with Augment.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
I think it's just me, since I added extra cards.
I don't want to clutter the contest with my entries, so no IIW on extra posts is my way to say "Skippable" :P
Your initial one doesn't have one either, in case you missed it!
Level 2 Judge circa 2016

Juancu

it's on the previous page (IIW: Alliteration)

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Sneaky of you to place posts on multiple pages. :D
Level 2 Judge circa 2016

Ulka

Leave it 1UU
Instant
Counter target spell that targets a player or permanent.
-------
Beaver 1G
Creature - Beaver
Aftermath Cast this spell only from your graveyard. Then exile it.)
Whenever you cast Beaver, create a 2/2 green Beaver creature token with "Whenever this creature enters the battlefield, untap target creature."
0/0

IIW: This better not win

chetoos

Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
Recurring Nemesis 4B
Creature - Human Advisor (C)
Flash
You may cast Recurring Nemesis from your graveyard if you were dealt 2 or more damage this turn.
"Hello, Freshguy!"
3/2

Danice, Standby Interest 2W
Legendary Creature - Human
Lifelink
Backup Partner - You can have two commanders if this is your second one. You can't cast Danice until you declare it didn't work out with your first commander (you may declare anytime that card is not on the battlefield, and then it's no longer your commander.) Until you do, your first commander costs 1 more to cast.
2/2

IIW: Alliteration
Ozkler, Chaotic Inventor 1UR
Legendary Creature - Human Artificer (R)
Look at the top card of your library any time
You may cast the top card of your library if it's an artifact, or has a single target. When you cast a spell this way, reselect its controller at random, then reselect its target at random.
"Did I cast that?"
1/4
Very Weird experimental mechanics: Plot Twist, Mistaken Identity
Show
Hide

Expert Fraudster 3U
Creature - Human Rogue (C)
Mistaken Identity 3UU (You may cast this for 3UU, as if it had flash, to be merged on top of target creature you control. Unmerge the bottom into exile, then it phases in tapped.)
2/5

Mistaken Identity is like Mutate (which uses 'merge' in the rules) except it always merges on top, it doesn't care about Humanity, and expels the bottom creature as a new object. I made it "phase in from exile" so it doesn't interact with Etb triggers, which would make this mechanic focus on flickering. Instead its power is in changing targets and blocking assignments. It should be a combat trick, not a value engine.

Jump the Megadolon U
Instant
Target creature you control gains flying and hexproof until end of turn.
Plot Twist 3 - (3, Exile this card from your hand: Shuffle this card and the top card of your library, face down, into your Script Pile, then draw a card.)

Script Pile
Whenever an opponent casts a spell, look at the top card of this pile. If it has Plot Twist, you may cast it without paying its mana cost. If you don't cast it, put it on top or the bottom of your library.

A random effect mechanic. It's an expensive cycling, but each time an opponent casts a spell, you get a random effect. Maybe it was the perfect Plot Twist, maybe a Scry 1. This mechanic is kinda parasitic, cause you want to get Plot Twists from the top of your library, but then again, there's only one Script pile.
Lumping all of your entries into one entry for ease of judging. I like the variety on display, and the two new mechanics are very interesting. I was more going for Wandavision style cards, playing on tropes without references to characters, but Ozkler is very silly and I can't fault you for that.
lookingupanddown wrote:
2 years ago
Laugh Track 1BB
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a creature dies, put a sound counter on Laugh Track. If there are five or more sound counters on Laugh Track, that creature's controller discards a card.
4RR, Remove X counters from Laugh Track: Each player discards X cards, then draws X cards. Activate this ability only once per turn and only if three or more creatures you control died this turn.
Some Rakdos riot mages have found that those who died in previous performances help fill dead air during an ongoing one.

IIW: a moment of desperation
Rakdos is Ravnica, ravnica is city plane, not sitcom plane! That said, this is a good representation, just for a sitcom set, not a sitcom plane. I also like the double meaning of "dead air"
2 years ago
Lucinda the Lovely
2rr
Partner with Richie Ronaldo
Vaudeville- Whenever another creature you control becomes the target of a spell or ability that can target Lucinda the Lovely, copy that spell or ability, and change its target to Lucinda.
Wacky Scheme- When Lucinda becomes the target of a spell or ability, you may change the target of that spell or ability from Lucinda to another target chosen at random.
2/2

Richie Ronaldo
2bb
Partner with Lucinda the Lovely
You've Got Some 'Splaining To Do!- Creatures you control named Lucinda the Lovely have ward-Pay 3 life.
¡Mira que tiene cosa!- When a creature you control named Lucinda the Lovely becomes the target of a spell or ability, Richie Ronaldo gets +2/+0 and gains menace until end of turn. This ability triggers only once per turn.
4/2

Token Minority
1g
Creature - Human (C)
Token Minority counts as a token.
2/2
"Really?" -Teferi

Himbo Jock
2g
Creature - Human Warrior (C)
4/2
"He's got pecs the size of watermelons and ten-pack abs, and can bench-press a truck, but I saw him pushing a door that said 'pull' for a solid ten minutes." -Darryl, college student

IIW: Alice in Wonderland
This all seems very silly and wonderful, really the vibe I was going for, though maybe some protection for the himbo, he's too stupid to be effected by magic?
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
The Never Seen Wall 2W
Legendary Creature - Wall
The Never Seen Wall can not be the target of spells or abilities.
Whenever The Never Seen Wall dies, create five White 1/1 Human creature tokens.
0/4

I'm also tempted to just give you the win to see how you judge this contest :P But this is a solid entry regardless, giving you the studio audience when it dies. That said, it seems to be too easy to sacrifice to... anything.
Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
Drop-In Landlord
Creature — Human Rogue (U)
Menace
Whenever Drop-In Landlord deals combat damage to a player, tap target land that player controls. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step. Create a Treasure token.
Dash RR
2/1

IIW: Genies, djinns, and efreeti
This is a great trope space to play in, lots of shows had them, and the mechanics work perfectly to represent it.
spacemonaut wrote:
2 years ago
Winter Spirit RGW
Enchantment (R)
Creatures you control get +1/+1.
Whenever one or more creatures you control attack, goad target creature an opponent controls. (Until your next turn, that creature attacks each combat if able and attacks a player other than you if able.)

IIW: Octopuses, squids, illithids, and other things with tentacles
Really not sure how this one works with the contest, but it's solid mechanically, at least. Why is a spirit an enchantment?
Phyrexian Editor wrote:
2 years ago
Jump the Shark 1wb
Instant {R}
Target creature gains flying and lifelink and gets +1/+1 until end of turn. Exile Jump the Shark and return it to the battlefield transformed.
There is a fine line between an atmosphere of excitement…

Sagging Ratings
Enchantment {R} [Black]
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player puts a -1/-1 counter on a creature they control.
…and the stench of desperation.

IIW: One fun Host Creature and one fun creature with Augment.
I like this as a DFC, allowing for some fun shenanigans. It also indicates that this set would have TDFCs, in order to allow for better storytelling, which is always a plus.
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Leave it 1UU
Instant
Counter target spell that targets a player or permanent.
-------
Beaver 1G
Creature - Beaver
Aftermath Cast this spell only from your graveyard. Then exile it.)
Whenever you cast Beaver, create a 2/2 green Beaver creature token with "Whenever this creature enters the battlefield, untap target creature."
0/0

IIW: This better not win
And it shall not, you don't need to worry :P I like the pun, though.

Winner: Phyrexian editor, because the contest was close and I like host/augment.
Next: A host creature, and a creature with augment.

Sporegorger_Dragon

@Phyrexian Editor, am I allowed to repost some of my stuff from my thread? (Feel free to peruse it, just scroll down that first post...)

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
Why is a spirit an enchantment?
When it's a verb and not a noun. :)

Example: Cynthia really showed some spirit at the cheerleader tryouts.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

chetoos

Krishnath wrote:
2 years ago
chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
Why is a spirit an enchantment?
When it's a verb and not a noun. :)

Example: Cynthia really showed some spirit at the cheerleader tryouts.
I'm well aware of that, but that's also what a lot of people are going to ask. Winter spirit sounds like a creature. All the enchantments that have spirit in the name are more clear about why they aren't creatures. It's like Mystic Remora

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”