NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

chetoos
Answers: 3
Pronoun: he / him

Post by chetoos » 2 years ago

Banruna, Pirate Queen 3RB
Legendary Creature - Minotaur Pirate
At the beginning of combat on your turn, you may pay RB. When you do, gain control of target creature until end of turn. Untap it, it gains haste. If that creature has mana value 3 or less, sacrifice it at the beginning of the next end step.
Whenever a creature you control but don't own deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card.
While she was overjoyed to have her husband back, Banruna didn't like what he'd had to do to survive on Ixalan, until he gave her a first hand experience of what it felt like.
3/6

IIW: MTG What If

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 2 years ago

Laannu, Scourge of the Voda Sea
1RR
Legendary Creature - Minotaur Pirate (M)
The first time each turn you discard a card, create a Treasure token.
Whenever one or more Pirates or Minotaurs you control deal damage to an opponent, for each player damaged in this way you may discard a card. If you do, draw a card.
UUBBRRR: Create two 1/1 blue Merfolk creature tokens with Hexproof, two 2/2 black Pirate creature tokens with Menace, and two 3/2 red Minotaur creature tokens.
2/3

IIW: A card that "batches" together different creature types for a strong theme deck.

Phyrexian Editor

Post by Phyrexian Editor » 2 years ago

NinjaCaterpie wrote:
2 years ago
Rumi Devil-Chain 3BR
Haste, menace
At the beginning of combat on your turn, discard a card. If you do, gain control of target nonland permanent until end of turn and untap it. It gains haste.
If a permanent you control would deal damage to its owner, it deals double that damage instead.
"She certainly takes after her father..." - Admiral Beckett Brass
4/3

Don't ask me how she ended up on Ixalan.

IIW: Floating cities, skyships, magic stones, oh my!
This is the Act of Treason Commander I want. 5 horns out of 5.
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
Berrete, Retired Admiral 4RR
Legendary Creature - Minotaur Pirate (R)
When Berrete enters the battlefield, create three Vehicle artifact tokens. Each has power and toughness 4/4 (as long as they are creatures), Haste, and Crew 3.
1R, T: Create a 3/1 red Minotaur Pirate creature token. Activate only as a sorcery.
2/5

IIW: secure, contain, protect
I like a minotaur queen with a three-car garage and lots of minions. Numbers-wise, though, I think this could use some tweaking. As it stands it's swingy in what feels like kind of an arbitrary way. Three 4/4s is a lot for an ETB ability, even if they require a crew. (4/1s might be better?) And the tokens having haste but the admiral not being able to crew them (or make a crew right away) is a bit of a feel-bad moment.
Pygyzy wrote:
2 years ago
Zara, Beast-Clan Heiress 1rg
Legendary Creature - Minotaur Pirate (U)
When this creature or another nontoken Pirate enters the battlefield under your control, create a 1/1 red Ferret creature token and a 1/1 green Snake creature token.
Red creature tokens you control have menace.
Green creature tokens you control have deathtouch.
2/2

Iiw: Incarnations of Abstract Concepts
This is cool! I would like to run this with the guy who makes deathtouchers poisonous whose name I don't remember. 5 strings leading back to the entrance of the maze out of 5.
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Dread Queen Recet 2RB
Legendary Creature - Minotaur Pirate Noble
Menace
Whenever another creature dies, Dread Queen Recet gets +X/+0 where X is equal to that creature's power.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may have Dread Queen Recet fight another target creature you control. If you do, Dread Queen Recet Gains Trample and Haste until the end of turn.
When her bloodlust is ignited she is know to take whole crews on by herself.
4/4

IIW: The narnia mythos but in a new magic plane.
This is a fun design! It's slightly harder to judge without a rarity, but I don't think you need the trample. Menace is enough to guarantee at least a two-for-two in most cases. Also, just FYI, colors (generally) go in clockwise order around the WUBRG circle in mana costs, so this should cost 2BR like Brawl-Bash Ogre.
Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
Althea, Heir to the Forge 1RW
Legendary Creature — Minotaur Pirate Noble (M)
Haste, vigilance
Exalted
Artifacts you control have exalted.
Whenever Althea, Heir to the Forge enters the battlefield or attacks, create a Treasure token.
3/3

IIW: Famous legendary creatures as children
That exalted ability is powerful. I think this could use some editing. At least, templating it as "Althea and artifacts you control have exalted," though you could probably lose haste and/or vigilance, honestly.
chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
Banruna, Pirate Queen 3RB
Legendary Creature - Minotaur Pirate
At the beginning of combat on your turn, you may pay RB. When you do, gain control of target creature until end of turn. Untap it, it gains haste. If that creature has mana value 3 or less, sacrifice it at the beginning of the next end step.
Whenever a creature you control but don't own deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card.
While she was overjoyed to have her husband back, Banruna didn't like what he'd had to do to survive on Ixalan, until he gave her a first hand experience of what it felt like.
3/6

Very similar to the first entry, which I liked, but not as clean. At 5 mana for this, the discard ability is going to matter rarely enough that it could probably be cut.
Hawk wrote:
2 years ago
Laannu, Scourge of the Voda Sea
1RR
The first time each turn you discard a card, create a Treasure token.
Whenever one or more Pirates or Minotaurs you control deal damage to an opponent, for each player damaged in this way you may discard a card. If you do, draw a card.
UUBBRRR: Create two 1/1 blue Merfolk creature tokens with Hexproof, two 2/2 black Pirate creature tokens with Menace, and two 3/2 red Minotaur creature tokens.
2/3

IIW: A card that "batches" together different creature types for a strong theme deck.
Nice synergy on the first and second abilities and good on you for giving the Commander player an incentive to mess with everyone. She also makes her own crew! The extra r in that activation cost is bothering me more than it should.

Overall, strong entries, including some good top-down efforts! It's very close between Pygyzy and NinjaCaterpie, but I gotta give it to NC for extra piratey flavor. Thank you, everybody!

UP NEXT:
Floating cities, skyships, magic stones, oh my!
Last edited by Phyrexian Editor 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

awww I got skipped... =(
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Phyrexian Editor

Post by Phyrexian Editor » 2 years ago

Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
awww I got skipped... =(
I'm so sorry, I multi-quoted too hastily! I've added a critique for your card.

chetoos

From the gemcraft series!

Grade 4 Orange Gem GR
Artifact (U)
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell with at least one target, add 1 mana of any color.
Each hit leeches mana from the target, allowing you to expand your supply of gems sooner.

Grade 6 Yellow Gem 2RR
Artifact (R)
If an instant or sorcery spell you control would deal damage to a target, roll a d20
1-9: the spell deals damage as normal
10-20: The spell twice that much damage to that target instead.
The increase in damage is unreliable at first, but devastating when it succeeds.

Grade 8 Lime Gem 3UR
Artifact (R)
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell with at least one target, copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
As a gem's grade increases, its abilities become more sure. Increasing a lime gem beyond will allow it to hit even more targets.

IIW: MTG What If!
Last edited by chetoos 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

Megiddo
MEG
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Megiddo » 2 years ago

Floating cities, skyships, magic stones

hmm... I'm sensing a theme.

Cateran Assassin 2B
Creature — Human Mercenary Assassin {U}
When Cateran Assassin enters the battlefield, destroy target tapped creature.
2/2

IIW: Deep lore
MEG

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

Odus, Seat of the Skylord
Legendary Artifact Land - Vehicle (M)
Odus enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add C.
Flying, trample, decayed
5: Odus gains Crew 5.
The last, crumbling vestige of their glory.
10/10

IIW: Lands with additional card types.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 2 years ago

Floating Cities, skyships, and magic stones - sounds like Eberron to me!

Argonth, the Last Stronghold
Artifact Land - Plains Vehicle (M)
(T: Add W to your mana pool.)
Argonth, the Last Stronghold enters the battlefield tapped unless you control three or more artifacts.
Flying, Vigilance
Crew 4 (Tap any number of untapped creatures you control with power 4 or more: This vehicle becomes an artifact creature until end of turn)
4/4

IIW: Class cards! (e.g. Cleric Class)

EDIT: I didn't see the "Artifact Land Vehicle" was already done. I like my Argonth, but just in case...

Dragonshard of Lightning
1RR
Artifact Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant Creature, Player, or Planeswalker
Whenever enchanted creature or planeswalker would deal noncombat damage to a permanent or player, it deals that much damage plus 1 instead.
Whenever an instant or sorcery enchanted player controls would deal damage to a permanent or player, it deals that much damage plus 1 instead.

Juancu

Post by Juancu » 2 years ago

Crystalvein Refiner 1W
Creature - Dwarf Artificer (C)
2W, T: Put a Powerstone counter on target vehicle you control (it's a +1/+1 counter that reduces Crew costs by 1.)
2/2

Snap the Line 3B
Instant (U)
Destroy target permanent if it's a creature. Scry 1.
Snap the Line costs 3 less to cast if it targets a vehicle, land, or enchantment.

IIW: Secure, Contain, Protect
Last edited by Juancu 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Ulka

Fjorhoff, Dwarven Skycitadel 4WR
Legendary Artifact - Vehicle
Haste, Flying, Vigilance
Dwarf creatures you control get +0/+1 for each artifact you control.
T: Add W or R.
Crew 4
4/6

IIW: Return to Mercadia

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 2 years ago

tfw you spend all day code review to come home and do card review
SPOILER
Show
Hide
chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
From the gemcraft series!

Grade 4 Orange Gem GR
Artifact (U)
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell with at least one target, add 1 mana of any color.
Each hit leeches mana from the target, allowing you to expand your supply of gems sooner.

Grade 6 Yellow Gem 2RR
Artifact (R)
If an instant or sorcery spell you control would deal damage to a target, roll a d20
1-9: the spell deals damage as normal
10-20: The spell twice that much damage to that target instead.
The increase in damage is unreliable at first, but devastating when it succeeds.

Grade 8 Lime Gem 3UR
Artifact (R)
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell with at least one target, copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
As a gem's grade increases, its abilities become more sure. Increasing a lime gem beyond will allow it to hit even more targets.

IIW: MTG What If!
Oh, what a throwback. Love this game. Cute abilities though I think the whole thing's a bit on the nose.
Megiddo wrote:
2 years ago
Floating cities, skyships, magic stones

hmm... I'm sensing a theme.

Cateran Assassin 2B
Creature — Human Mercenary Assassin {U}
When Cateran Assassin enters the battlefield, destroy target tapped creature.
2/2

IIW: Deep lore
Wow you really did that to me, huh. I'll just assume the card is a functional reprint.
Ink-Treader wrote:
2 years ago
Odus, Seat of the Skylord
Legendary Artifact Land - Vehicle (M)
Odus enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add C.
Flying, trample, decayed
5: Odus gains Crew 5.
The last, crumbling vestige of their glory.
10/10

IIW: Lands with additional card types.
Hoy moy that's a big castle. Love the flavour of a decayed land/vehicle, though it seems quite expensive to activate.
Hawk wrote:
2 years ago
Floating Cities, skyships, and magic stones - sounds like Eberron to me!

Argonth, the Last Stronghold
Artifact Land - Plains Vehicle (M)
(T: Add W to your mana pool.)
Argonth, the Last Stronghold enters the battlefield tapped unless you control three or more artifacts.
Flying, Vigilance
Crew 4 (Tap any number of untapped creatures you control with power 4 or more: This vehicle becomes an artifact creature until end of turn)
4/4

IIW: Class cards! (e.g. Cleric Class)

EDIT: I didn't see the "Artifact Land Vehicle" was already done. I like my Argonth, but just in case...

Dragonshard of Lightning
1RR
Artifact Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant Creature, Player, or Planeswalker
Whenever enchanted creature or planeswalker would deal noncombat damage to a permanent or player, it deals that much damage plus 1 instead.
Whenever an instant or sorcery enchanted player controls would deal damage to a permanent or player, it deals that much damage plus 1 instead.
Not sure if I like Argonth being a Plains and therefore fetchable, but the rest of it's very fun. The crew aspect seems reasonable given the land has no cost.
Dragonshard is cute but clunky. I like what it does in theory, but it's got too many words.
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
Crystalvein Refiner 1W
Creature - Dwarf Artificer (C)
2W, T: Put a Powerstone counter on target vehicle you control (it's a +1/+1 counter that reduces Crew costs by 1.)
2/2

Snap the Line 3B
Instant (U)
Destroy target permanent if it's a creature. Scry 1.
Snap the Line costs 3 less to cast if it targets a vehicle, land, or enchantment.

IIW: Secure, Contain, Protect
Crystalvein Refiner is fun! I like the idea of Powerstone counters, though they are a bit narrow.
Snap the Line is supposed to act as a manland/vehicle hoser, right? I think it would be clearer if it just said "Destroy target creature" with the same cost rider. Being able to Scry 1 against an invalid target is a bit confusing.
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Fjorhoff, Dwarven Skycitadel 4WR
Legendary Artifact - Vehicle
Haste, Flying, Vigilance
Dwarf creatures you control get +0/+1 for each artifact you control.
T: Add W or R.
Crew 4
4/6

IIW: Return to Mercadia
This seems like a very expensive crew cost. I think almost every existing vehicle has more power than it takes to crew? Especially since this buffs the creatures you'll presumably be using to crew it...
Winner: Juancu
Next: Secure, Contain, Protect

Ink-Treader

Inspired by SCP-140

Retroactive Chronicle 2
Artifact (R)
1, T, Pay 3 life: Reveal a card you own from outside the game and put it into your graveyard.
The true history of the world is writ in blood.

IIW: Destruction

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 2 years ago

Redact 2U
Instant (U)
Change the text of target instant or sorcery spell by removing a paragraph. (If other paragraphs reference something in that paragraph, they have no effect)

IIW: 3 colour cards with hybrid

chetoos

I am a toaster 2R
My art depicts a normal toaster. I have a vaguely sinister air about me, despite the fact that I am depicted as a normal toaster
I am an artifact (Unset rare)
When I or another nontoken artifact enter the battlefield under our control, I create a food token.
T me, RR, I sacrifice 2 food tokens: I deal 6 damage to target creature.

Last edited by chetoos 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Ulka

Azorius Containment Squad 1WU
Creature - Human Soldier
When Azorius Containment Squad enters the battlefield, detain target creature.
At the end of each other players turns, if a creature is detained exile it un Azorius Detainment Squad leaves the battlefield.
Between Simic's mad creations, Gruul's rampages and Bolas's attack, the Azorius realized they needed a better way to gain a control over certain situations.
2/3

IIW: Return to Innistrad: Acerage day for an innistradian

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

Containment Breach

Keter Class
ubr
Enchantment - Class (M)
When Keter Class enters the battlefield, destroy target creature or planeswalker
ubr: Level 2
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player sacrifices a creature or planeswalker.
3ubbr: Level 3
Planeswalkers you control have indestructible and hexproof.
Creatures you control have indestructible and annihilator 3.

Data Expunged
2uuu
Instant (R)
Choose one-
-Change the text of target spell or permanent by changing all instances of one color word, card type, super-type or sub-type to nothing.
-Exile target spell. Search its controller's graveyard, hand, and library for all cards with the same name as that spell and exile them. Then that player shuffles.

IIW: Spongebob
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Juancu

I'll judge in a couple of hours. No need to fit the SCP universe, just anything that secures, or contains, or protects, is fine.

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 2 years ago

Scranton Reality Anchor 4CCCC
Artifact (M)
You may choose not to untap Scranton Reality Anchor during your untap step.
: Permanents not named Scranton Reality Anchor lose all abilities that aren't mana abilities for as long as Scranton Reality Anchor remains tapped. Players may only cast one spell each turn for as long as Scranton Reality Anchor is tapped.
3C, Discard a card: Flip two coins. If you win both flips, untap Scranton Reality Anchor, and it loses all abilities until its controller's next end step. Any player may activate this ability, but only as a sorcery and only once each turn.

IIW: creature type Dreadnought
Last edited by lookingupanddown 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

Emergency Stasis 1W
Enchantment (U)
Flash
Exile target creature you control for as long as Emergency Stasis remains on the battlefield.
At the beginning of your upkeep, gain 1 life.

IIW: Let's go on an adventure (As in the creature type).
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Juancu

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader wrote:
2 years ago
Inspired by SCP-140

Retroactive Chronicle 2
Artifact (R)
1, T, Pay 3 life: Reveal a card you own from outside the game and put it into your graveyard.
The true history of the world is writ in blood.

IIW: Destruction
Very cool, I hadn't read that SCP, turned out really interesting.
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
2 years ago
Redact 2U
Instant (U)
Change the text of target instant or sorcery spell by removing a paragraph. (If other paragraphs reference something in that paragraph, they have no effect)

IIW: 3 colour cards with hybrid
I could totally see this in an Un set, and I think it would be a great card for some custom cubes. The only problem I see is that some paragraphs are not clear from simple line breaks at the end of sentences. Maybe paragraph or sentence? I want to remove the Lose the Game from Final Fortune!
chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
I am a toaster 2R
My art depicts a normal toaster. I have a vaguely sinister air about me, despite the fact that I am depicted as a normal toaster
I am an artifact (Unset rare)
When I or another nontoken artifact enter the battlefield under our control, I create a food token.
T me, RR, I sacrifice 2 food tokens: I deal 6 damage to target creature.

I like me, but I wish I had an effect that changed things to me, like maybe redirecting Lava Axe into me, or something like that? Or the other way around? me to me? Otherwise I'm just a toaster that shoots bread missiles... which is cool enough, I'll admit.
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Azorius Containment Squad 1WU
Creature - Human Soldier
When Azorius Containment Squad enters the battlefield, detain target creature.
At the end of each other players turns, if a creature is detained exile it un Azorius Detainment Squad leaves the battlefield.
Between Simic's mad creations, Gruul's rampages and Bolas's attack, the Azorius realized they needed a better way to gain a control over certain situations.
2/3
Fun, I like the detain mechanic, I assume this would appear in a set that brought it back in force. As a rare, it has a good bomby feel to it, in limited. It's harder to just splash as a bomb, which is good for a RAV set.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
Keter Class
ubr
Enchantment - Class (M)
When Keter Class enters the battlefield, destroy target creature or planeswalker
ubr: Level 2
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player sacrifices a creature or planeswalker.
3ubbr: Level 3
Planeswalkers you control have indestructible and hexproof.
Creatures you control have indestructible and annihilator 3.

Data Expunged
2uuu
Instant (R)
Choose one-
-Change the text of target spell or permanent by changing all instances of one color word, card type, super-type or sub-type to nothing.
-Exile target spell. Search its controller's graveyard, hand, and library for all cards with the same name as that spell and exile them. Then that player shuffles.
Keter Class seems powerful, as it is a fairish removal that turns into Win The Game eventually in lvl 2, and Win The Game Now at lvl 3. Harder to assemble in limited as a Mythic, but the color restriction is not that hard.
Data Expunged seems a vey cool concept, but it's really hard to do the cooler stuff with it. How about turning it into a Seal of Removal effect? That way I could edit my own removal spells without needing 5 extra mana lying around. Still, it feels like I would just simply play a non-restrictive removal.
lookingupanddown wrote:
2 years ago
Scranton Reality Anchor 3CCCCC
Artifact (M)
You may choose not to untap Scranton Reality Anchor during your untap step.
: Permanents not named Scranton Reality Anchor lose all abilities that aren't mana abilities for as long as Scranton Reality Anchor remains tapped.
3C, Discard a card: Flip two coins. If you win both flips, untap Scranton Reality Anchor, and it loses all abilities until its controller's next end step. Any player may activate this ability, but only as a sorcery and only once each turn.
Weird card. I feel for this mana you could just exile everything, not simply erase abilities. It would feel bad to just play this and simply be killed by vanilla creatures.
Krishnath wrote:
2 years ago
Emergency Stasis 1W
Enchantment (U)
Flash
Exile target creature you control for as long as Emergency Stasis remains on the battlefield.
At the beginning of your upkeep, gain 1 life.
The problem here is that if you want the life without losing a creature, you'd want to play it before creatures. Maybe add 'may' ? Feel bads don't feel good. Otherwise, a cool concept for a sacrifice theme.
Winner: Ink-Treader (hey, I just noticed the link!)
Next: Destruction

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
The problem here is that if you want the life without losing a creature, you'd want to play it before creatures. Maybe add 'may' ? Feel bads don't feel good. Otherwise, a cool concept for a sacrifice theme.
The idea was it that you use it to save a creature that would otherwise get removed by a mass (or targeted) removal spell. Then later on you get rid of the enchantment by either bouncing it or removing it (Or if the mass removal spell is something that also destroys enchantments, getting the creature back the same turn). I agree that it is a niche spell, but in the right environment I could see it.

Anyway, hi, been away for a while, combination of a resurgence of my depression and getting distracted by Fallout 76 now that it has the possibility of playing on private servers.

As for the challenge...

Destruction 3RRGG
Legendary Creature - Elemental Incarnation (M)
Trample, rampage 4, menace
When Destruction enters the battlefield or attacks, each player sacrifices a non creature permanent. If a land was sacrificed in this way, its controller may search their library for a basic land and put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle.
6/6

IIW: Let's go on an adventure (as in the card type).

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

chetoos

Drive By Shooting 1b
Destroy target creature, then lose 3 life unless you control a vehicle.
Battles for territory in New Capenna aren't fought normally, instead they are quick, brutal, and targetted.

IIW: MTG what if

Ink-Treader

I suppose I'll judge this in the morning, and throw in an alternative challenge: Artistry

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Paint a Landscape 2GG
Sorcery (R)
Buyback 4
Search your library for a land card different art than lands you control on the battlefield and put it into play. Then shuffle.

IIW: Let's go on an adventure (as in the card type).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”