3 years ago
lookingupanddown wrote:
3 years ago
TacticalCelebrant wrote:
3 years ago
Great Guardian of the City 3
Artifact - Vehicle (U)
Defender
Tap an untapped creature you control: Great Guardian of the City may attack this turn as though it didn't have defender.
Crew 3 (Tap any number of creatures you control with total power 3 or more: This Vehicle becomes an artifact creature until end of turn.)
6/8
Finally, a large robot. It's a bit worrying power level-wise how easy an undercosted 6/8 is to crew with just a single 1/1 token, but I could see situations where it doesn't do much (especially without trample). It's a fun big beater all around, though, so it should be enjoyable to play.
You might have misread mine. It has crew 3, so you'll need a 3/X or something to turn it into a creature with defender, and then an additional 1/1 to make it attack.
Anyway, time to make a carnivorous plant!
Huh, I did misread that, Apologies to you and your 4-man (on offense) robot.

Mergatroid_Jones
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 3 years ago

Canopy Pitchers G
Creature- Plant Wall (U)
Defender, Reach
When Canopy Pitchers blocks a creature with flying, tap that creature, and put two -1/-1 counters on it. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
0/3

Nepenthic Growth W
Enchantment (R)
You may choose not to untap one or more forests you control during your untap step.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put a growth counter on target forest you control. For as long as it has a growth counter on it, it gains "T: Exile target attacking creature with power less than or equal to the number of growth counters on this land until this land becomes untapped."

Carnivorous Forest
Land- Forest (U)
(T: Add G.)
Carnivorous Forest enters the battlefield tapped unless an opponent controls a creature with flying.
G,T: Target attacking creature with flying gets -3/-1 until end of turn.

IIW: Rural Kaladesh
Last edited by Mergatroid_Jones 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 3 years ago

I feel like we've been waiting to see this one for MONTHS so hopefully we get some good plants
MEG

Megiddo
MEG

Ravenous Pitcher 1G
Creature — Plant {R}
Dormant 2 (This creature enters the battlefield tapped with 2 rest counters on it and doesn't untap as long as it has any on it. Remove one at the beginning of each of your upkeeps.)
Reach
At end of combat, destroy each creature blocked by Ravenous Pitcher. If a creature was destroyed this way, tap Ravenous Pitcher and put two rest counters on it.
0/5

IIW: one half of a two-card combo (do not post the other half)
SPOILER
Show
Hide
bad mechanics, etc.
MEG

Sporegorger_Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 3 years ago

Well, 24 hours have passed, but I'll let this run a little longer; might have been a wild weekend.

Alternate IIW:
UB: Resident Evil
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 3 years ago

Lava Pitcher 3RG
Snow Creature - Elemental Plant (U)
Whenever a creature becomes blocked by Lava Pitcher, destroy it.
2R: Target nonsnow creature attacks this turn if able. Activate this ability only once per turn.
"Many seek the heat it gives off in the cold wastes of Kaldhiem, but few survive to talk about it."
0/3

IIW: Oozes
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

Post by Flatline » 3 years ago

Monkey Cups 4g
Creature — Plant (U)
t: Monkey Cups deals damage equal to its toughness to target creature an opponent controls. When that creature dies this turn, put a +0/+1 counter on Monkey Cups.
Its appetite grows with its size.
0/1

IIW: A black bordered MCU card.
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

Sporegorger_Dragon

Judging will be a bit delayed, as right now I have to go to work.

TacticalCelebrant

Post by TacticalCelebrant » 3 years ago

Towering Pitcher Maw 3gg
Creature - Plant Giant (U)
Reach
Whenever a creature dealt damage by Towering Pitcher Maw dies, exile it and put a +1/+1 counter on Towering Pitcher Maw.
Remove a +1/+1 counter from Towering Pitcher Maw: Target creature attacks this turn if able.
3/5

IIW: Card name included your favorite word.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Greetings, I'm glad you're all here.

Let's get to the point. My patron is a greedy, selfish, demanding and egoistical five-headed monster, each head seemingly more unpleasant than the last.

If I can get him a specimen worthy of his attention, I will be awarded a generous commission, you'll receive your cut, and a promise of future work.

If I fail, I'll be eaten by the green-aligned head, and you'll receive jack-squat.

Now, let see what you've brought me.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
3 years ago
Canopy Pitchers G
Creature- Plant Wall (U)
Defender, Reach
When Canopy Pitchers blocks a creature with flying, tap that creature, and put two -1/-1 counters on it. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
0/3

Nepenthic Growth W
Enchantment (R)
You may choose not to untap one or more forests you control during your untap step.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put a growth counter on target forest you control. For as long as it has a growth counter on it, it gains "T: Exile target attacking creature with power less than or equal to the number of growth counters on this land until this land becomes untapped."

Carnivorous Forest
Land- Forest (U)
(T: Add G.)
Carnivorous Forest enters the battlefield tapped unless an opponent controls a creature with flying.
G,T: Target attacking creature with flying gets -3/-1 until end of turn.

IIW: Rural Kaladesh
A strong beginning. Here we have a Nepenthes draped like a liana in the upper canopy, specializing in arboreal and aerial prey. Most Nepenthes pitcher-plant have two different pitcher morphologies; lower pitchers, produced on the basal shoots, and upper pitchers, produced when the plant starts vining.

The upper and lower pitchers often differ greatly in both structure and color, likely an adaptation for different types of prey encountered in different levels.

This particular species, however, seems to have eschewed lower pitchers altogether. I will tentatively name it Nepenthes aerophila, "air-lover".

Oh, there are whole forests comprised of Nepenthes? That's sure to interest my patron, but here's some personal advice; keep the location to yourself, and negotiate a higher price. You now have a bargaining-chip, and leverage over the dragon, but be careful.

However, if you do not wish to deal with him directly, then I will gladly broker a deal between you two, for a sufficient cut of course.

Very interesting that the denizens of the plane also utilize these forests to protect their homes; my patron would like to see to see that in-person, or rather in-dragon.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
A good entry by Mergatroid, a strong contender, and a nice little bit of world-building that I appreciate very much. I like how all three mechanically evoke the feel of carnivorous plants.

The first is basically flyer-hate, a cornerstone of green, and I think the second has w to justify the banishment effect. I myself don't mind creature-only banishment as tertiary in green, but I can understand why some, including Mr. Rosewater himself, feel that green shouldn't get it.
Megiddo wrote:
3 years ago
Ravenous Pitcher 1G
Creature — Plant {R}
Dormant 2 (This creature enters the battlefield tapped with 2 rest counters on it and doesn't untap as long as it has any on it. Remove one at the beginning of each of your upkeeps.)
Reach
At end of combat, destroy each creature blocked by Ravenous Pitcher. If a creature was destroyed this way, tap Ravenous Pitcher and put two rest counters on it.
0/5

IIW: one half of a two-card combo (do not post the other half)
SPOILER
Show
Hide
bad mechanics, etc.
A gluttonous plant, but with slow digestion. Its feeding strategy is that of snakes; consuming large prey infrequently with long periods of digestion in between.

I will name Nepenthes ophiomorpha, "snake-form".

Interesting specimen. This species appears to have more potent digestive liquids than other species. Usually, if pitchers become overloaded with prey items, they will begin to putrefy, but this species doesn't have that problem.

The digestive juices appear sufficient to prevent decay of food before digestion is complete. My patron will want to hybridize with his other strains,
SPOILER
Show
Hide
A call back to the original Carnivorous Plant, and possibly a reference to the Chomper from Plants vs Zombies series. Seems a bit underpowered though for a rare; this can't block the turn it comes into play, and can't block the turn it loses the last counter because the untap step has already passed by then.
Ulka wrote:
3 years ago
Lava Pitcher 3RG
Snow Creature - Elemental Plant (U)
Whenever a creature becomes blocked by Lava Pitcher, destroy it.
2R: Target nonsnow creature attacks this turn if able. Activate this ability only once per turn.
"Many seek the heat it gives off in the cold wastes of Kaldhiem, but few survive to talk about it."
0/3

IIW: Oozes
Now this is strange! Nepenthes are mostly a tropical genus, but many of the more spectacular species grow at high elevations; where even in the tropics temperatures can be very cold.

But this specimen originates from a primarily snow-covered plane, and appears to have adapted to utilizing geothermal energy to allow to survive freezing temperatures.

My patron will not want this housed with his other specimens, but he will be very interested in its adaptions that allow it to withstand the extreme heat.

I will name it Nepenthes pyrophila, "fire-lover".
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Kaldheim?! A strange choice for a tropical plant, but like I mentioned above, a lot of the more famous species grow in the highlands; I know one grower who has to keep his Nepenthes villosa in a modified refrigerator.

I initially felt that the plant should be nonsnow, and its ability should target snow creatures, but then I realized that the plant was luring prey with the promise of warmth; hence why it targets a nonsnow creature.
Flatline wrote:
3 years ago
Monkey Cups 4g
Creature — Plant (U)
t: Monkey Cups deals damage equal to its toughness to target creature an opponent controls. When that creature dies this turn, put a +0/+1 counter on Monkey Cups.
Its appetite grows with its size.
0/1

IIW: A black bordered MCU card.
Huh, young specimen, but apparently fast-growing. My patron usually likes to know what he's getting, but he's known to take a chance and grow out young specimens to see what they will become.

I will name Nepenthes glotonoria, "glutton".
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Nepenthes are indeed known as "monkey cups" in their countries of origin. And apparently primates do occasionally take a sip.
Card seems fine for an uncommon, but very slow. Might even be too slow for Limited, but of course that depends on the environment.
TacticalCelebrant wrote:
3 years ago
Towering Pitcher Maw 3gg
Creature - Plant Giant (U)
Reach
Whenever a creature dealt damage by Towering Pitcher Maw dies, exile it and put a +1/+1 counter on Towering Pitcher Maw.
Remove a +1/+1 counter from Towering Pitcher Maw: Target creature attacks this turn if able.
3/5

IIW: Card name included your favorite word.
Oh my, an impressive specimen! Aggressive and very mobile too.

It's morphology is unique as well. Is it a giant that has been parasitized by an aberrant species of Nepenthes, or is it a Nepenthes that mimics a giant. Worthy of further study.

It seems its sickly fragrance causes creatures to attack recklessly; possibly some sort of pheromone or mind-altering agent. My patron will be very interested in this ability and its applications.

I will name it Nepenthes titanomachia, "war of the titans".
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Nepenthes as a beatstick, but again with the ability to provoke and attack to emulate the quality of attracting prey.
While I like the "Vampire" ability of eating creatures via exile and growing, I feel the provoke should have necessitated a splash of a second color.
I will be taking these specimens to the dragon. If I don't come back, run.

Ok, @Ulka ? He'll take the Lava Pitcher. Good job.

And @Mergatroid_Jones? He'll take the Canopy Pitchers. And he wants to have an audience with you. Good luck.

HM: Ulka

Winner: Mergatroid_Jones

Next Prompt:
Rural Kaladesh

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

Field Plow 4
Artifact — Vehicle (R)
Whenever Field Plow enters the battlefield or attacks, create two 0/1 green Plant creature tokens.
Creatures you control crew Vehicles using their toughness rather than their power.
Crew 2
3/4

IIW: Band names as black-bordered card names.
Last edited by Flatline 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

Ulka

Wandering Seedfoot 2RG
Creature - Giant
Trample
When Wandering Seedfoot enters the battlefield, search your library for a forest or plains, reveal it, and put it on the the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.
"Giants follow the flow of the aether and they come through these parts twice a year dropping seeds that cling to their feet twice a year, hopefully this year we will get rutabagas." - Jyhn, Kale Farmer
4/4

IIW: oozes

Sporegorger_Dragon

Cowl Caterpillar
1bg
Creature - Insect (U)
When Cowl Caterpillar enters the battlefield, you get .
When Cowl Caterpillar dies, you may pay . If you do, create a 2/2 black and green Insect creature token with flying named Butterfly.
2/3
They inspire many designs.

IIW: Bad red flyer at Common.
Last edited by Sporegorger_Dragon 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Megiddo
MEG

Skywhale Encampment 2U
Artifact {R}
At the beginning of your upkeep, you get E.
2U, Sacrifice Skywhale Encampment: Draw two cards.
"The city-dwellers hunt the skywhales only for their Aether. We're more than happy to use the rest."

IIW: One of the other classes at Strixhaven
MEG

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 3 years ago

Panka Sharecropper 2GG
Creature — Human Peasant (U)
When Panka Sharecropper enters the battlefield or attacks, create a Food token.
For each E in a cost or effect, you may sacrifice a Food rather than pay that E.
"Compostable, recyclable energy is the future!"
3/3

IIW: The surveillance state
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

TacticalCelebrant

Post by TacticalCelebrant » 3 years ago

Off The Grid w
Enchantment (U)
Flash
When Off The Grid enters the battlefield, exile target permanent you control until Off The Grid leaves the battlefield.
1, Sacrifice Off The Grid: Gain 3 life.

IIW: Card name includes your favorite word.

Megiddo
MEG

@Mergatroid_Jones it may be time
MEG

Mergatroid's_Ghost

Post by Mergatroid's_Ghost » 3 years ago

Sorry folks, I had a wee issue of getting locked out of my account, but not to worry.
Judge
Show
Hide
Flatline wrote:
3 years ago
Field Plow 4
Artifact — Vehicle (R)
Whenever Field Plow enters the battlefield or attacks, create two 0/1 green Plant creature tokens.
Creatures you control crew Vehicles using their toughness rather than their power.
Crew 2
3/4

Lovely. They've very much hinted at this kind of design with Enchanted Carriage and Esika's Chariot, but the toughness-crew text is a cute way to do something interesting while making more conservative bodies-- allowing you to go nuts if left unchecked. If this ever gets to attack, it becomes pretty impossible to contain but the bodies are never broken.
Ulka wrote:
3 years ago
Wandering Seedfoot 2RG
Creature - Giant
Trample
When Wandering Seedfoot enters the battlefield, search your library for a forest or plains, reveal it, and put it on the the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.
"Giants follow the flow of the aether and they come through these parts twice a year dropping seeds that cling to their feet twice a year, hopefully this year we will get rutabagas." - Jyhn, Kale Farmer
4/4

IIW: oozes
Alrighty, so it's a GR card that gets a GW land. Perhaps Kaladesh II is shard-based. The card itself is alright, but not inspiring. But what I love is how perfectly this carries through lore from Kaladesh I (Wayward Giant) into the bigger world of Kaladesh. Which is actually what I was looking for.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
3 years ago
Cowl Caterpillar
1bg
Creature - Insect (U)
When Cowl Caterpillar enters the battlefield, you get .
When Cowl Caterpillar dies, you may pay . If you do, create a 2/2 black and green Insect creature token with flying named Butterfly.
2/3
They inspire many designs.

IIW: Bad red flyer at Common.
I see, so it's very much an extension of the Aether Chaser family, and in all likelihood it would be a cycle. I'd actually rather produce one more energy than it costs.
Megiddo wrote:
3 years ago
Skywhale Encampment 2U
Artifact {R}
At the beginning of your upkeep, you get E.
2U, Sacrifice Skywhale Encampment: Draw two cards.
"The city-dwellers hunt the skywhales only for their Aether. We're more than happy to use the rest."

IIW: One of the other classes at Strixhaven
A good old fashioned energy farm. Again, I could see this being a cycle where each sacrifices for a different benefit. In Kaladesh, they were very very careful to make cards that use Energy also produce energy and vice-versa (with few exceptions), and I think it's best to stand by that rule. But if it's not a cycle, it can just be the Rogue Refiner of the set.
Cythare wrote:
3 years ago
Panka Sharecropper 2GG
Creature — Human Peasant (U)
When Panka Sharecropper enters the battlefield or attacks, create a Food token.
For each E in a cost or effect, you may sacrifice a Food rather than pay that E.
"Compostable, recyclable energy is the future!"
3/3

IIW: The surveillance state
I can see what you're doing mechanically, and I think it's a neat idea, but I don't really feel that food has a place in Kaladesh, even in rural Kaladesh. Sure, they eat food everywhere, but it just doesn't feel like the place. Nonetheless I do like the idea.
TacticalCelebrant wrote:
3 years ago
Off The Grid w
Enchantment (U)
Flash
When Off The Grid enters the battlefield, exile target permanent you control until Off The Grid leaves the battlefield.
1, Sacrifice Off The Grid: Gain 3 life.

IIW: Card name includes your favorite word.
Huh, so it's kinda like a one-off Cold Storage. Pretty neat. That's a worthwhile mechanical idea you've got there. Flavor text coulda made it feel a lot more in place for Kaladesh.
Winner
Show
Hide
HM: Tactical Celebrant
Winner: Ulka
Next: Oozes

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 3 years ago

Compost Ooze 2GB
Creature - Ooze
1(b/g): Exile target card from a graveyard. You gain 1 life. Put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
~ has all activated abilities of all creature cards exiled with it.
2/4

IIW: Slice of life scenes with planeswalkers hanging out. (Bonus points if it's not just a green or white card.)

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

Ooodles of Oozes - Judge 1 or all
Show
Hide
Undulating Ooze g
Creature — Ooze (U)
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Undulating Ooze has two or more +1/+1 counters on it, remove all +1/+1 counters from it. Otherwise, put a +1/+1 counter on Undulating Ooze.
1/1

Expanding Experiment gg
Creature — Ooze Beast (R)
Evolve (Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, if that creature has greater power or toughness than this creature, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.)
When Expanding Experiment dies, create X 1/1 green Ooze creature tokens with evolve, where X is the number of +1/+1 counters on Expanding Experiment.
1/1

Fluctuating Ooze 2gg
Creature — Ooze (R)
When Fluctuating Ooze enters the battlefield, you may pay 2g. If you do, choose both. Otherwise, choose one —
• Put three +1/+1 counters on Fluctuating Ooze.
• Create three 1/1 green Ooze creature tokens.
2/2

Lava Blob 1r
Creature — Elemental Ooze (U)
Prowess
r, Sacrifice Lava Blob: Lava Blob deals damage equal to its power to target creature or planeswalker.
You never know when it might erupt.
1/3

Assimilating Sludge 3b
Creature — Ooze (R)
Devour 1 (As this enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice any number of creatures. This creature enters the battlefield with that many +1/+1 counters on it.)
If a creature with flying was devoured with Assimilating Sludge's devour ability, Assimilating Sludge has flying. The same is true for first strike, double strike, deathtouch, haste, hexproof, indestructible, lifelink, menace, reach, trample, and vigilance.
3/3

Creeping Ick 1bb
Creature — Ooze (R)
Whenever Creeping Ick deals combat damage to a creature, put a -1/-1 counter on that creature and that creature becomes black instead of its other colors.
1u: Creeping Ick becomes a copy of target black creature until end of turn.
1/4
Last edited by Flatline 3 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
MCC
Show
Hide
CCL
Show
Hide

Mergatroid's_Ghost

Post by Mergatroid's_Ghost » 3 years ago

Crystal Slime U
Creature- Ooze (C)
Crystal Slime enters the battlefield with a number of +1/+1 counters on it equal to the number of other spells you've cast this turn.
When Crystal Ooze dies, if it had no +1/+1 counters on it, draw a card.
0/0

Slime Gardener
Creature- Human Ooze Mutant (C)
Each Ooze creature you control enters the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter on it.
0/0

Burbling Gook xG
Creature- Ooze
Burbling Gook enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
When Burbling Gook dies, draw a card.
0/0

IIW: The IIW on the last card you posted (choose any recent IIW if you're new here)

Megiddo
MEG

Stellar Ooze 2GG
Enchantment Creature - Ooze {R}
When Stellar Ooze enters the battlefield, mill 3, then you may return an enchantment card from your graveyard to your hand.
The first time another enchantment enters the battlefield under your control each turn, draw a card.
2/2

IIW: One with something
MEG

mellifluoresce
the winner is tibalt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by mellifluoresce » 3 years ago

Snoozing Ooze
Creature - Ooze (R)
Whenever Snoozing Ooze attacks, exert it.
Inspired - Whenever Snoozing Ooze becomes untapped, you may pay . If you do, put X +1/+1 counters on Snoozing Ooze, where X is its power.
3/3

IIW: Bulk rares
Club Flamingo Alumnus

Disappointing Signet + co-founder

talk to me about the Black Market format! Now ready for your Hogaaks
SPOILER
Show
Hide
mirrorentity wrote: Judging.
Ogre of the Gray Ogre: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogre of the Pit: No IIW. Disqualified.
Toll Troll: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
My Hair Caught Fire!: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
Ogre Under: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogrenacle at Pendrell Vale: Overcosted.
Ogreforge Mystic: Judge. Disqualified.

Winner: Gerrard's Mom becomes a Tier I spammer!

Next spamellenge: Make the Ogre philosopher Gnerdel.

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Ulka

Okay I will be judging Monday as we only have 5 entries as of now ( if we get 1-2 more entries tonight I might judge tonight around 1 am central instead)

Megiddo
MEG

Berserker Jelly 2RR
Creature - Ooze {R}
Haste
When Berserker Jelly attacks, choose a creature type other than Ooze. Untap each creature you control of that type. After this phase there's an additional combat phase. Only creatures of the type you chose can attack during that phase.
3/3

posted with apologies

IIW: after I'm gone,
MEG

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”