NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Flatline » 3 years ago

Apparently I only make Food related cards now.....

Punch Bowl 3
Artifact (C)
1, t: Create a Food token. (It's an artifact with "2, t, Sacrifice this artifact: You gain 3 life.")
t, Sacrifice a Food : Tap or untap target creature.
The strength of the punch effected the part-goers in vastly different ways.

IIW: Thief as a creature type. Bonus points if the card has an ability word or keyword ability that would only be seen on thieves.
Last edited by Flatline 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

Mergatroid_Jones
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 3 years ago

Ultimate Death Fight 2G
Sorcery (R)
Kicker 8G
You fight target creature. (You deal damage to it equal to your life total and it deals damage to you equal to its power.)
If Ultimate Death Fight was kicked, and you have more than one opponent, you fight target player. (You each deal damage equal to your life total to the other.)

IIW: Based on one of these randoms: Mass Calcify, Famine, Irresistible Prey, or Half-Squirrel, Half-
Last edited by Mergatroid_Jones 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 years ago

a REALLY BIG punch -- R
Instant
Tap a 1/1 creature you control. If you do, it deals 7 damage to target creature.
IIW: Don't make me.

Togs

Post by Togs » 3 years ago

Grapepunch 1R
Instant (U)
Until end of turn, target creature gets +1/+0 and gains "T: This creature deals damage equal to its power to any target."
Storm

IIW: Grapes

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Strike a God 3G
Instant (U)
Split second
Target creature you control fights target creature you don't control. If the creature you control is legendary, double its power until end of turn before it fights. If the creature you don't control is legendary, you gain life equal to that creature's power.
Caught in the path of Bolas and Ugin's duel, and with no hope of running away, Surrak knew exactly what he had to do.

IIW: A slick and subtle reference
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 3 years ago

Jawbreaker XRW
Instant (U)
Jawbreaker deals X damage to any target. If 4 or more damage was dealt this way, that player can't cast spells until your next upkeep, or that permanent's abilities can't be activated until your next upkeep.
Sometimes a more direct approach is needed.

IIW: MLD that can only be used to end the game

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 3 years ago

Into the Stratosphere 2GW
Sorcery
Target creature you control gets +8/+8 until end of turn. Tap it. It fights target creature you don't control. If the creature you don't control would die this turn, exile it instead.

IIW: Watermarks matter

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Punches in the guts count, right?

Venser Dies
Instant (R)
As an additional cost to cast this spell, sacrifice planeswalker.
Exile target artifact or planeswalker you own, then return it to the battlefield under your control. If that permament had converted mana 7 or greater, take an extra turn after this one.
Exile Venser Dies.
"We all have to make sacrifices."

Dack Gets Stabbed
Instant (R)
You may play a card you own from outside the game this turn as though it had flash. If that card is an artifact, add X mana in combination of any color, where X is the converted mana cost of that artifact.
Exile Dack Gets Stabbed.
Some deaths you don't get to see but through deeds that outlast them.

IIW: Profession you hate the most as a card in Ravnica.

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 3 years ago

Gauntlet Gash 1R
Instant {C}
You may attach an equipment you control to target creature you control. Then that creature fights another target creature.

Focus Punch
Sorcery {U}
President's punch deals 5 damage to any target.
Whenever you're dealt damage, if President's Punch is suspended, put it into your graveyard.
Suspend 1 — 1R

President's Punch 1RR
Sorcery {R}
President's Punch deals 1 damage to any target.
If another red source you control would deal damage to a permanent or player this turn, it deals that much damage plus 2 to that permanent or player instead.

IIW: Snow
MEG

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 3 years ago

Dimensional Punch 1GR
Sorcery (R)
Target creature you control deals damage equal to its power to target creature you don't control. You may put a card you own from outside the game with converted mana cost less than the amount of excess damage into your hand.
I am a man!

IIW: Top down nintendo world.
Last edited by chetoos 3 years ago, edited 4 times in total.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 3 years ago

Punch-Drunk 1GR
Enchantment (U)
When Punch-Drunk enters the battlefield, create a Food token.
Each Food you control is an Equipment with equip 2 and "Equipped creature gets +1/+0 for each Food equipped to it".
We're all gluttons for punishment.

IIW: "If mana produced by a snow permanent was used to cast this spell"
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Judge?
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Sentient Skillbattery
Creature - Illusion Processor (U)
Sentient Skillbattery enters the battlefield with a flying counter on it. The same is true for banding, battle cry, changeling, fear, first strike, flanking, flash, double strike, deathtouch, defender, dethrone, devoid, echo, exalted, extort, haste, hexproof, horsemanship, indestructible, infect, ingest, intimidate, landwalk of any printed type, lifelink, menace, mentor, phasing, protection of any printed kind, prowess, provoke, reach, shade, shroud, skulk, trample, vigilance and wither.
, : Mave any counter form Sentient Skillbattery onto any creature.
1/1

Release notes: All packs include two punch-out cards with counters that appear in the set. These aren't required for play. As with other counters, players may use any mutually agreeable method to represent the counters.

IIW: One submission too far.

Stapler
is a liar

Post by Stapler » 3 years ago

jaj
Show
Hide
Cythare wrote:
3 years ago
Meteor Fist R
Sorcery (C)
As an additional cost to cast Meteor Fist, sacrifice a creature.
Meteor Fist deals damage equal to the sacrificed creature's power to target creature or planeswalker. If the sacrificed creature was legendary, Meteor Fist can't be countered and excess damage is dealt to that permanent's controller instead.

IIW: "If mana produced by a legendary permanent was used to cast this spell"
Aside from being able to hit planeswalkers, this is a mostly worse version of Ram Through without the cute "trample creatures trample over" flavour - the legendary flavour isn't really doing it for me. Seems pretty busy for a common too.
Flatline wrote:
3 years ago

Punch Bowl 3
Artifact (C)
1, t: Create a Food token. (It's an artifact with "2, t, Sacrifice this artifact: You gain 3 life.")
t, Sacrifice a Food : Tap or untap target creature.
The strength of the punch effected the part-goers in vastly different ways.

IIW: Thief as a creature type. Bonus points if the card has an ability word or keyword ability that would only be seen on thieves.
You aren't selling me on this being a REALLY BIG punch bowl. :thinking: The flavour is fine, but this seems way too strong for a common - 1 mana to make a Food that they can sink their mana into to gain oodles of life later on is just crazy efficient, and it also makes attacking incredibly difficult for the opponent - both stopping their biggest attacker and untapping blockers for 0 mana. Being colourless means this is getting first-picked way too often.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
3 years ago
Ultimate Death Fight 2G
Sorcery (R)
Kicker 8G
You fight target creature. (You deal damage to it equal to your life total and it deals damage to you equal to its power.)
If Ultimate Death Fight was kicked, and you have more than one opponent, you fight target player. (You each deal damage equal to your life total to the other.)

IIW: Based on one of these randoms: Mass Calcify, Famine, Irresistible Prey, or Half-Squirrel, Half-
This is essentially "2G Pay X life: Deal X damage to target creature.", with some small differences if the creature has more or less power than toughness, and that just ain't a green effect no matter how you dress it up. I'm a little less bothered by the second half colour-pie wise - Biorhythm shows that green can make people lose the game for not doing things green likes to do, and green does like to gain life - but "Target opponent loses the game if you have more life than them" is just not a very interesting line of text to play with or against. Being restricted to multiplayer games is also pretty awkward and probably unnecessary.
OneAndOnly wrote:
3 years ago
a REALLY BIG punch -- R
Instant
Tap a 1/1 creature you control. If you do, it deals 7 damage to target creature.
IIW: Don't make me.
I honestly like this quite a bit, even though based on your IIW and the way you named it, you seem to not, lol. Red rewarding playing small creatures with an efficient removal spell makes a lot of sense, and I'm always a fan of build-arounds. I like the flavour of a small guy being unexpectedly storng. I think this could easily be a neat, printable uncommon.
Togs wrote:
3 years ago
Grapepunch 1R
Instant (U)
Until end of turn, target creature gets +1/+0 and gains "T: This creature deals damage equal to its power to any target."
Storm

IIW: Grapes
That's really cute. It should probably be a sorcery given it's nearly strictly better than Fling and is actually strictly better than Soul's Fire (which is a common, but eh), which would also match it up better with Grapeshot. It should also probably be a rare too. Restricting it to only creatures or only players would also be reasonable. I can't not give this the win, but these recent IIWs ... :sweat:
void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Strike a God 3G
Sorcery (U)
This spell can't be countered.
Target creature you control fights target creature you don't control. If the creature you control is legendary, double its power until end of turn before it fights. If the creature you don't control is legendary, you gain life equal to its power.
Caught in the path of Bolas and Ugin's duel, and with no hope of running away, Surrak knew exactly what he had to do.

IIW: A slick and subtle reference
I think Ancient Animus has the wording you're looking for to avoid the "before it fights" awkwardness. I'm also unclear whether you're gaining life based on your own creature's power or your opponents creatures power (I'm assuming your own, but the diction is confusing). The uncounterable clause feels unnecessary, especially as the most common way people will stop this card is by killing your dude. That all said, you definitely captured the flavour of the challenge and ignoring the wording issues I like the card.
lookingupanddown wrote:
3 years ago
Jawbreaker XRW
Instant (U)
Jawbreaker deals X damage to any target. If 4 or more damage was dealt this way, that player can't cast spells until your next upkeep, or that permanent's abilities can't be activated until your next upkeep.
Sometimes a more direct approach is needed.

IIW: MLD that can only be used to end the game
I think the last clause needs to be split up into "Permanents dealt 4 or more damage this way ..." and "Players dealt 4 or more damage this way ...", but that's a minor niggle. I dislike that at X=3 or lower the card just isn't doing anything white at all, and I'm not sure there's a way to easily remedy that without changing the whole concept behind the card. Aurelia's Fury is probably doing this card's job but better. I do like the flavour as well as the idea behind using X to demonstrate how REALLY BIG it is.
spacemonaut wrote:
3 years ago
Into the Stratosphere 2GW
Sorcery
Target creature you control gets +8/+8 until end of turn. Tap it. It fights target creature you don't control. If the creature you don't control would die this turn, exile it instead.

IIW: Watermarks matter
I'm a little perturbed at what exactly about this card is white - exile is generally a white effect, but there's no reason a green card couldn't exile a creature it fights (green does get noncreature exile-based removal like Barrier Breach and can exile creatures when they die a la Ravenous Slime - a fight that exiles seems plausible). The rest of the card feels mono-green. Ignoring that, I'm definitely enticed by the idea of being able to untap the creature and get in for big damage, and the name is great.
Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
3 years ago
Punches in the guts count, right?

Venser Dies
Instant (R)
Exile target artifact or planeswalker you own, then return it to the battlefield under your control. If that permament had converted mana 7 or greater, take an extra turn after this one.
Exile Venser Dies.
"We all have to make sacrifices."

Dack Gets Stabbed
Instant (R)
You may play a card you own from outside the game this turn as though it had flash. If that card is an artifact, add X mana in combination of any color, where X is the converted mana cost of that artifact.
Exile Dack Gets Stabbed.
Some deaths you don't get to see but through deeds that outlast them.

IIW: Profession you hate the most as a card in Ravnica.
The first card is pretty much unplayable if you aren't fulfilling that second clause - a restricted Teferi's Time Twist variant that requires you to sac a planeswalker to cast it seems pretty horrendous. It's way too specific and clunky for my tastes. The second card ... everything it's doing is technically in-pie I think, but it really doesn't feel like an Izzet card, and I'm unsure how it relates to Dack, aside from the artifact clause (me not knowing much about the WAR storyline doesn't help). I have an aversion to hyper-narrow cards, and I would define cards that require you to sacrifice a planeswalker to cast them as hyper-narrow. If you're going to sac a planeswalker, you better be doing something special, and I don't feel like these are doing it.
Megiddo wrote:
3 years ago
Gauntlet Gash 1R
Instant {C}
You may attach an equipment you control to target creature you control. Then that creature fights another target creature.

Focus Punch
Sorcery {U}
President's punch deals 5 damage to any target.
Whenever you're dealt damage, if President's Punch is suspended, put it into your graveyard.
Suspend 1 — 1R

President's Punch 1RR
Sorcery {R}
President's Punch deals 1 damage to any target.
If another red source you control would deal damage to a permanent or player this turn, it deals that much damage plus 2 to that permanent or player instead.

IIW: Snow
Not sure I get what the name of the first card is trying to convey - a gash is like a slash or cut, and gauntlets wouldn't cause them. It's a neat common to build-around, though it's not very REALLY BIG. Focus Punch is more like it, though the card feels swingy to the point where it's unplayable if your opponent is good at damaging you. I would have liked to see an actual (expensive) mana cost on it or for the middle clause to be changed to "put (one or two) time counter(s) on this card". President's Punch is cool as a temporary Torbran, Thane of Red Fell effect, though considering Insult // Injury exists, it's probably on the weak side.
chetoos wrote:
3 years ago
Dimensional Punch 1GR
Sorcery
Target creature you control deals damage equal to its power to target creature you don't control. You may put a card you own from outside the game with converted mana cost less than the amount of excess damage into your hand.
I am a man!

IIW: Top down nintendo world.
I like the mechanics of this card quite a lot - it's playing in a very unique design space and seems well balanced - but the flavour is a little wonky and too "out there" IMO. The wording needs to be cleaned up a bit too, but I still am a big fan of this idea - it just doesn't make that much sense to be flavoured as a punch.
Cythare wrote:
3 years ago
Punch-Drunk 1GR
Enchantment (U)
When Punch-Drunk enters the battlefield, create a Food token.
Each Food you control is an Equipment with equip 2 and "Equipped creature gets +1/+0 for each Food equipped to it".
We're all gluttons for punishment.

IIW: "If mana produced by a snow permanent was used to cast this spell"
Big fan of the multiple layers of puns going on with the name, flavour and mechanics, and Food Equipment is really cool. The multiplicative nature of of the equip effect seems a little crazy and maybe a touch difficult to track for some people, but overall I like this a lot.
3 years ago
Sentient Skillbattery
Creature - Illusion Processor (U)
Sentient Skillbattery enters the battlefield with a flying counter on it. The same is true for banding, battle cry, changeling, fear, first strike, flanking, flash, double strike, deathtouch, defender, dethrone, devoid, echo, exalted, extort, haste, hexproof, horsemanship, indestructible, infect, ingest, intimidate, landwalk of any printed type, lifelink, menace, mentor, phasing, protection of any printed kind, prowess, provoke, reach, shade, shroud, skulk, trample, vigilance and wither.
, : Mave any counter form Sentient Skillbattery onto any creature.
1/1

Release notes: All packs include two punch-out cards with counters that appear in the set. These aren't required for play. As with other counters, players may use any mutually agreeable method to represent the counters.

IIW: One submission too far.
yikes
wanr
Show
Hide
WINNER: Togs!
HMs: Cythare (for Punch-Drunk), chetoos, void_nothing

NEXT CHALLENGE: Grapes.
"Image"

chetoos

The flavor of the card is based on the "I am a man" punch gag from Atop the Fourth Wall, where the host punches off screen and pulls some kind of item back, so the card is your creature punching through the opponent's creature, and grabbing a spell for you from out of frame.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 3 years ago

Through the Grapevine 1U
Sorcery (C)
Target creature can't be blocked this turn. Whenever it deals combat damage to a player this turn, that player reveals their hand.

IIW: Vines
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Togs

We have only the finest of challenges here at club flamingo!
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Ok but this one is actually really bad this time.. Alternate challenge is entwine.

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 3 years ago

Cythea, Vineyard of the Gods 1(g/w)g
Legendary Enchantment- Aura (M)
Flash
Enchant forest, plains, or legendary land you control.
At the beginning of each player's precombat main phase, that player adds GW.
When enchanted land is tapped for mana, add G or w and gain 1 life.
8GW: Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.

IIW: Based on one of these randoms: Reach Through Mists, Young Pyromancer, Druid of the Cowl, or Treasure Hunter.

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

Flatline wrote:
3 years ago
Stapler wrote:
3 years ago
:(
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Flatline wrote:
3 years ago
Flatline wrote:
3 years ago
Stapler wrote:
3 years ago
Perfect time to make Sour Grapes, isn't it?

Grapeshot (not Time Spiral one)
Instant (R)
Storm
Gain control of a single snack opponent has until end of turn. Until end of turn, whenever you eat snack you don't own, its owner gains 3 life.

IIW: White foxes or white cats

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 3 years ago

Somehow these non-mechanical challenges are resonating with the populace and resulting in entire pages of spam entries though

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 years ago

Ciarra Valley Grapes -- 1GG
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant land
At the beginning of your end step, create a token copy of Ciarra Valley Grapes enchanting target land an opponent controls.
Double all mana enchanted land adds.
2, Sacrifice Ciarra Valley Grapes: You gain 3 life.
IIW: Broken cards

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

3 years ago
Flatline wrote:
3 years ago
Flatline wrote:
3 years ago
Stapler wrote:
3 years ago
Perfect time to make Sour Grapes, isn't it?
It would have been, had you not beaten me to the punchbowl. :) Instead, I'll just submit something ridiculous....

Grapes of Wrath of God 4ww
Sorcery (R)
Destroy all creatures. Create a Food token for each creature destroyed this way.
"You got a God. Don't make no difference if you don' know what he looks like."
― John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath

IIW: Thief as a creature type. Bonus points if your card includes an ability word or keyword ability that would only be seen on Thieves.
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
MCC
Show
Hide
CCL
Show
Hide

chetoos

Hedonic Feeding 2GW
Art depicts a man, a la hedonism bot from futurama, eating grapes held by an off-screen servant
Sorcery (Rare)
Choose 1
  • Create X food tokens, where X is the highest cmc among creatures you control.
  • Target creature gets +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the number of food you control.
Entwine 1GW

IIW: Top down nintendo set.
Last edited by chetoos 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Togs

NinjaCaterpie wrote:
3 years ago
Somehow these non-mechanical challenges are resonating with the populace and resulting in entire pages of spam entries though
Welp, gotta give the people what they want

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”