NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Ulka
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
@Ulka it's been 24 hours since the last entry. Judge!
I'm in class until tonight. I will judge tonight.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Megiddo
MEG
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Megiddo » 2 years ago

what @Ulka forgot to mention is that they're night classes
MEG

Juancu

Post by Juancu » 2 years ago

Neverending Lessons 1WUB
Enchantment
As you draft Neverending Lessons, reveal it and skip your next pick. For that pick, each other drafter may reveal a Lesson from that pack and give it to you. Each player that doesn't, skips their pick.
Your graveyard is outside the game.
At the beginning of your upkeep, learn.

Megiddo
MEG

Cloudgate Ascendant 3WW
Creature - Giant Avatar {M}
Reveal Cloudgate Ascendant as you draft it and note its draft position.
1+ | When Cloudgate Ascendant enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 white Human creature token.
5+ | Instead, create three of those tokens.
9+ | Instead, conjure three cards named Loyal Flocktender onto the battlefield. (Don't create any tokens.)
3/3

(note; Loyal Flocktender is Wizened Cenn, but a human that pumps humans. This card uses the same rules as the other one I posted.)

IIW: Same as the other entry.
MEG

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 2 years ago

Exemplar of Heliod {2/W}{2/W}{2/W}
Enchantment Creature — Human Soldier (M)
Draft Exemplar of Heliod face up. Immediately after the draft, you may reveal any number of cards in your card pool and note the total number of W revealed this way.
10+ | Exemplar of Heliod enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter and a vigilance counter.
20+ | Exemplar of Heliod enters the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter and a lifelink counter.
40+ | Exemplar of Heliod enters the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter and an indestructible counter.
2/2

(Double-checked, and this text configuration is roughly approximate to Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh regarding number of lines and text size.)

IIW: An oath for a planeswalker that we don't have a Gatewatch Oath enchantment for, but who has had at least one planeswalker card printed for.
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Megiddo
MEG

Tibalt's Vanguard
Vanguard {S}
Draft Tibalt's Vanguard face up. When you do, for the rest of the draft, draft at random and set those cards aside.
Requirement — Your starting deck contains only cards you drafted randomly and basic land cards.
Skip your draw step.
At the beginning of your upkeep, shuffle your library. Then exile the top card of your library.
You may play cards exiled with Tibalt's Vanguard without paying their mana costs.
Hand Size: -7
Starting Life: +10

IIW: glue two existing cards together
MEG

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Ghirron, Kalastria Hierarch 2BB
Legendary Creature - Vampire Cleric (R)
Draft Ghirron face up.
At the end of the draft, black creature cards in your card pool cost 1 more to cast, are Vampires in addition to their other types, and gain one of the following -
• "When this creature enters the battlefield, draw a card and you lose 2 life."
• "When this creature enters the battlefield, destroy up to one target creature with lesser power."
• "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on it."
3/3

IIW: Kraken, Leviathan, Octopus, or Serpent
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ulka

Sorry for the Delay.
Feedback
Show
Hide
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
Home Economics 2W
Sorcery - Lesson (C)
Shared Lesson (After the draft, there's a 5 minute Shared Lessons trading step. List cards you obtained there. Whenever you learn a card on that list, gain 1 life.)
Create a 0/3 white Egg creature token. At the beginning of your next end step, if you still control that Egg, draw a card.

IIW: surprise mechanics.
Shared Lesson is an interesting Mechanic. Home economics made me laugh.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
2 years ago
They are Starving in the Countryside
Conspiracy- Pact (R) (Green)
(Before the game starts, you may offer target opponent a pact. If they refuse, start with this conspiracy in your command zone.)
If the chosen opponent accepts this pact, start the game with a food token.
Creatures you control are Rebels. As long as you control two or more forests, Rebels you control have Ward 1.

The Pirate Queen Demands a Ransom
Conspiracy- Pact (R) (Blue)
(Before the game starts, you may offer target opponent a pact. If they refuse, start with this conspiracy in your command zone.)
If the chosen opponent accepts this pact, create a treasure token at the beginning of the first end step.
Creatures you control are Pirates. As long as you control three or more islands, when one or more Pirates you control deal combat damage to a player, you may pay 1 to draw a card then discard a card.

Someone Must Die for this Insult
Conspiracy- Pact (R) (Black)
If the chosen opponent accepts this pact, that player must sacrifice the first creature that enters the battlefield under their control this game as it enters, then gains life equal to its mana value.
Creatures you control are Advisors. As long as you control three or more swamps, Advisors you control have deathtouch to legendary. (Any amount of damage they deal to a legendary creature or planeswalker is enough to destroy that creature or planeswalker.)

Radical Land Redistribution
Conspiracy- Pact (R) (White)
If the chosen opponent accepts this pact, you may may exile any number of cards from your hand at the beginning of your first upkeep to search your library for that many basic plains cards, reveal them, and put them into your hand, then shuffle your library.
Creatures you control are Rebels. As long as you control five or more plains, Rebels you control get +1/+1.

Modernize or Face Obsolescence
Conspiracy- Pact (R) (Red)
If the chosen opponent accepts this pact, the first artifact spell that player casts this game costs an additional 2.
Noncreature artifacts you control are vehicles. They have power and toughness equal to their mana value when they're creatures. As long as you control two or more mountains, vehicles you control have crew 2.

IIW: Nonblue cards in an underwater world
I like the designs to the Pact mechanic however the names of the cards throw me off a lot.
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
2 years ago
Capsule Dispenser 3
Artifact Creature - Construct (R)
Draft Capsule Dispenser face up.
As you draft a card, you may remove it from the draft face up.
2, T: Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a card with the same name as a card removed from the draft by Capsule Dispenser. Put that card into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
2/4

IIW: Scathing criticisms of society.
I like this card a lot if we ever go back to fiora. Its very solid and feels like it would be very fun in a pack draft.
Legend wrote:
2 years ago
Reverse Engineer (Rare)
Creature - Assembly-Worker
1/4
You may draft Reverse Engineer face up. If you do, reverse the direction of the draft, then turn Reverse Engineer face down.
Reverse Engineer enters the battlefield tapped.
4, Q: Replace all instances of T with Q in activation costs of nonmana abilities until end of turn.

IIW: Onomatopoeia
This card would be great if you are playing each pack is drafted at the same time but the moment you allow picks to go at differnet times this card becomes hard to utilize.
spacemonaut wrote:
2 years ago
Corru Smuggler 1WW
Creature — Human Rogue (U)
Draft Corru Smuggler face up.
As you draft an artifact or enchantment card, you may reveal it, note its name, and turn Corru Smuggler face down.
When Corru Smuggler enters the battlefield, you may search your library for a card with a name you noted for cards named Corru Smuggler, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle.
2/2

IIW: Modal abilities on permanents
I love this. I do think this could be an uncommon given that Smuggler Captain is an uncommon and can be utilized for any card for only 1 mana more but I still love the mechanic and card.
chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
Insightful Pollster 3U
Creature - Human Advisor (Common)
When you draft Insightful Pollster, you may reveal it and note another drafter.
Whenever you vote, draw a card If you voted the same way as another player you noted with cards named "insightful Pollster"
2/4

IIW: Draft a card from this card's spellbook.
OOOOOO I really like this for a Fiora planed set. very solid design.
Megiddo wrote:
2 years ago
Imperium Thopter 2
Artifact - Vehicle {M}
Reveal Imperium Thopter as you draft it and note its draft position, including itself.
1+ | Flying, Crew 2
5+ | When Imperium Thopter dies, if it was a creature, create two 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens.
9+ | Imperium Thopter is a Thopter artifact creature.
4/4
SPOILER
Show
Hide
In case it isn't intuitive, the card is treated as though it has the text of the sections that match where you drafted it, but not any other text. For example, if you draft it 7th, it has the "flying, crew 2" text as well as the dies trigger, but it won't have the third ability. If you prefer, you can imagine that this card has some line about how it has the abilities corresponding to "the highest number you noted for cards named Imperium Thopter."
IIW: double death
I've seen a card or two done in this style. Its a very solid design and honestly this card would seem very fun in the vintage cube.
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
build your own Fuse cards while drafting.
Show
Hide

Running R
Sorcery
Create a 1/1 red Goblin creature token.
Creatures you control gain Haste until end of turn.
-- Fuse (you may cast one or both halves of this card from your hand.)
Blank
As you draft this card, keep it revealed in front of you. Then you may name another card you kept this way. If you do, keep this card as a conspiracy. The named card has a copy of this card as its right side.

Wildly 2G
Sorcery
Create a 3/3 green Beast creature token.
-- Fuse (you may cast one or both halves of this card from your hand.)
Blank
As you draft this card, keep it revealed in front of you. Then you may name another card you kept this way. If you do, keep this card as a conspiracy. The named card has a copy of this card as its right side.
The make your own fuse seems like it would be a mechanic that would be hard to use honestly. Its really freaking innovative but its hard for me to judge the card.
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
Neverending Lessons 1WUB
Enchantment
As you draft Neverending Lessons, reveal it and skip your next pick. For that pick, each other drafter may reveal a Lesson from that pack and give it to you. Each player that doesn't, skips their pick.
Your graveyard is outside the game.
At the beginning of your upkeep, learn.
In a Strixhaven draft oh man this card would be cool as all heck. I really like the design and feel of it.
Megiddo wrote:
2 years ago
Cloudgate Ascendant 3WW
Creature - Giant Avatar {M}
Reveal Cloudgate Ascendant as you draft it and note its draft position.
1+ | When Cloudgate Ascendant enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 white Human creature token.
5+ | Instead, create three of those tokens.
9+ | Instead, conjure three cards named Loyal Flocktender onto the battlefield. (Don't create any tokens.)
3/3

(note; Loyal Flocktender is Wizened Cenn, but a human that pumps humans. This card uses the same rules as the other one I posted.)

IIW: Same as the other entry.
I like the feel of this as a top end for white aggro. its super innovative and damn it meg makes me really want this in a cube setting.
Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
Exemplar of Heliod {2/W}{2/W}{2/W}
Enchantment Creature — Human Soldier (M)
Draft Exemplar of Heliod face up. Immediately after the draft, you may reveal any number of cards in your card pool and note the total number of W revealed this way.
10+ | Exemplar of Heliod enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter and a vigilance counter.
20+ | Exemplar of Heliod enters the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter and a lifelink counter.
40+ | Exemplar of Heliod enters the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter and an indestructible counter.
2/2

(Double-checked, and this text configuration is roughly approximate to Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh regarding number of lines and text size.)

IIW: An oath for a planeswalker that we don't have a Gatewatch Oath enchantment for, but who has had at least one planeswalker card printed for.
okay this is super cool. I like the fact you can just sink white cards into this and play it as a colorless top end if needed.
Megiddo wrote:
2 years ago
Tibalt's Vanguard
Vanguard {S}
Draft Tibalt's Vanguard face up. When you do, for the rest of the draft, draft at random and set those cards aside.
Requirement — Your starting deck contains only cards you drafted randomly and basic land cards.
Skip your draw step.
At the beginning of your upkeep, shuffle your library. Then exile the top card of your library.
You may play cards exiled with Tibalt's Vanguard without paying their mana costs.
Hand Size: -7
Starting Life: +10

IIW: glue two existing cards together
Oh no Vanguard in a draft... that said I love Tibalt here as the choice of vanguard and honestly I think its a solid card.
void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
Ghirron, Kalastria Hierarch 2BB
Legendary Creature - Vampire Cleric (R)
Draft Ghirron face up.
At the end of the draft, black creature cards in your card pool cost 1 more to cast, are Vampires in addition to their other types, and gain one of the following -
• "When this creature enters the battlefield, draw a card and you lose 2 life."
• "When this creature enters the battlefield, destroy up to one target creature with lesser power."
• "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on it."
3/3

IIW: Kraken, Leviathan, Octopus, or Serpent
Damn it void I thought I had an easy favorite in this draft until this. dang you.
Winner
Show
Hide
Void Nothing with Ghirron Kalastria Hierarch

HM to Meg for your Humans Giant, Cheetos for Insightful Pollster and ninja caterpie's Capsule Dispenser
Next up: Kraken, Leviathan, Octopus, or Serpent

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Alright, I'd like to judge at or before tomorrow evening, so get some seafood-matters entries in.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Juancu

Post by Juancu » 2 years ago

A funny render of my previous card
Show
Hide
Rioting.jpg

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

Krakenpus (Rare)
UUUU
Creature - Kraken Octopus
8/8
4: Tap Krakenpus. Any player may activate this ability.

IIW: flightless birds
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Megiddo
MEG

@Ulka i have good news for you
MEG

Megiddo
MEG

Deep-Sea Angler 2U
Creature — Human {R}
Ward 2
At the beginning of your upkeep, scry 1, then you may reveal the top card of your library. If you reveal a blue creature card this way, put it into your hand. Then, if the revealed card was a Kraken, Leviathan, Octopus, or Serpent, transform Deep-Sea Angler.
1/4

//

Deep-Sea Summoner
Creature — Human Wizard {R}
Ward 4
Each Kraken, Leviathan, Octopus, or Serpent you control has ward 4.
At the beginning of each player's end step, that player may put an artifact, creature, or land card from their hand onto the battlefield.
4/4

IIW: The discourse
MEG

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 2 years ago

Octopus Queen 7U
Creature- Octopus (R)
Octopus spells cost you 7U less to cast.
7u: Target Octopus can't be blocked this turn.
8/8

Pendulous Pentapus 4U
Creature- Octopus (U)
Flying
When Pendulous Pentapus attacks or blocks, sacrifice it at the end of combat and draw a card.
5/5

Scornful Septipus 6U
Creature- Octopus (C)
Flash
The ocean is not a friendly place.
7/7

IIW: A land cycle
Last edited by Mergatroid_Jones 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 2 years ago

Tsoagoth, the Brine King 6UUU
Legendary Creature - Kraken (M)
Islandwalk
Sacrifice a Human and an Island: Create a 0/2 blue Kraken Egg creature token with "At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice this creature. If you do, create a token that's a copy of target Kraken, Leviathan, Octopus, or Serpent."
If Tsoagoth would die, instead draw a card for each blue creature you control, (including Tsoagoth), then exile it.
8/9

IIW: Scathing critiques of society

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

Octomage of Profanity
4uu
Creature - Octopus Wizard (R)
Magecraft -Whenever you cast or copy an instant or sorcery spell, create a 2/1 white and black Inkling creature token with flying.
2/6
[CENSORED]

(I can't help but feel that Dean Embrose' advice on Inkling Summoning would only lead to Silverquill students hurling slurs and racial epithets at each other)

IIW: Non-magical creatures (ie Flea-Bitten Coyote, Angry Goat, etc)
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 2 years ago

Kiora, Caller of the deep 3UU
Legendary Planeswalker - Kiora
+1 - Conjure a card named kraken Hatchling onto the battlefield. Until your next turn, that creature gains hexproof.
-2 - Draft a card from this card's spellbook. You may exile a Kraken, octopus, leviathan, or serpent creature you control. If you do, put the drafted card onto the battlefield under your control.
-8 - You get an emblem with "Creatures you control can't be blocked by creatures with less power" and "Whenever a creature you control becomes blocked, draw a card."

Spellbook: IIW: Draft a card from this card's spellbook.

Megiddo
MEG

Cephalid Deceiver 1UU
Creature - Cephalid {u}
Cephalid Deceiver can't be blocked.
Delirium — Whenever Cephalid Deceiver deals combat damage to a player, draw a card. Then, unless there are four or more card types among cards in your graveyard, discard a card.
"...But I repeat myself."
1/1

IIW: Your interpretation of an entry in Maro's Kamigawa Teaser.
MEG

Ulka

Channeler of the Depths 2U
Creature - Cephalid Shaman (U)
Dredge 2
2BB, Sacrifice Channeler of the Depths: Mill the top 3 cards of your library. If Kraken, Leviathan, Octopus, or Serpent card is put into your graveyard this way, instead put it onto the battlefield.
1/2

IIW: Arcane spells are back

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Legend - Krakenpus is a perfectly alright design, but it's fairly flavorless - this could just as easily, maybe even more sensibly, be an Illusion or something. Plus I'm not sure how the art would distinguish a Kraken that's also an Octopus.

Megiddo - This looks fun! I'm actually more worried about the front side - the scry+draw ability is... very efficient, even if it does have the perfectly imaginable potential to whiff. Deep-Sea Summoner's last ability is a great homage, and thankfully is symmetrical.

Mergatroid_Jones - Ah yes, a finisher for that most potent of tribes, Octopodes. This is silly fun, but seems like an excuse to slap as many eights as possible on a card (and also the activated ability is disappointing in comparison to Serpent of Yawning Depths).

NinjaCaterpie - Oh, fun! I like Lovecraftian spoopiness that isn't Eldrazi, and this has my Txmmy/Jxnny self fired up. This is innovative and cool, and the costs are high enough so that even the possibility of blowing this up and drawing ALL THE CARDS isn't OP.

Sporegorger_Dragon - I'm surprised that there's no existing card with Magecraft - make an Inkling, but so it is! This seems like a hard effect to cost - but six mana makes for a disappointing sidegrade to Talrand, Sky Summoner where the only real advantage is extra toughness. The flavor is... a little strange as well, although ink + Octopus is reasonable. As to your point, yes, I like so much of the idea of Silverquill College but Creative failed to think through a bunch of gaps in the lore, leaving some horrible and problematic implications; it's hard to brush aside that there's a major faction in a recent Magic set themed around emotional abuse. (One of these days the WB faction won't have uncomfortable and gross connotations...)

chetoos - I feel this borrows too much from the gimmick of Kiora, the Tide's Fury, plus my seething hatred of spellbook as a design tool hasn't gone away. I have no issues playing with it in Arena-only sets, but don't make me look at it.

Megiddo - Not actually an Octopus, even though Cephalids are a race of octodads. Delirium feels like the "wrong" mechanic to use here - Cephalids will always be associated with threshold in my mind due to their one major appearance being in Odyssey block.

Ulka - Now this here is a different-feeling Cephalid! I love off-color activated abilities and this pulls that kind of design off beautifully. I also like that this is a blue Shaman that feels pretty right. Generally good stuff.

HMs: Megiddo (for Deep-Sea Angler // Deep-Sea Summoner), Ulka
Winner: @NinjaCaterpie
Next: Scathing critiques of society

EDIT: Didn't see Mergatroid's other entries. They're generic enough that I think I can write them off as troll entries. SEPTOPUS!

Sporegorger_Dragon

void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
but six mana makes for a disappointing sidegrade to Talrand, Sky Summoner where the only real advantage is extra toughness
I had to take into account spell copying/storm shenanigans; Talrand doesn't care about copies, but magecraft does. Seems like a solid Plan B if the big storm spell gets Flusterstormed or something.

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 2 years ago

Alright, gimme your hot takes. It won't reflect badly on the card if it's an awful take (but it will reflect on you).

an alternate take on the challenge if the real world is too real is dystopia in Neon Kamigawa.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Ruthless Boss
2bb
Creature - Human Advisor (U)
Ruthless Boss can't attack or block.
When Ruthless Boss enters the battlefield, create three 1/1 white Human Employee creature tokens.
T, Sacrifice an Employee: Create a Treasure token.
4/4

Privileged Politician
ww
Creature - Human Advisor (R)
As long you have more life than each other player, Privileged Politician has protection from everything.
2/2
Power begets privilege, and privilege begets power.

IIW: Non-magical creatures (ie Flea-Bitten Coyote, Angry Goat, etc)

TacticalCelebrant

Post by TacticalCelebrant » 2 years ago

Oof. This challenge could end up being cathartic or depressing. Probably both.

Oppositional Mindset 3uub
Enchantment
Exile the top seven cards of your library: Counter target spell. Any player may activate this ability.
Whenever a player counters a spell, that player creates a treasure token.
All spells gain "When this spell resolves, each opponent loses 3 life"

(I'm not sure about wording on that last line. Would it work on permanent spells? I want someone's opponents to lose life whenever they cast a spell and it isn't countered. Too bad "Successfully cast" isn't a thing any more.)

IIW: An instant or sorcery that can make a token

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 2 years ago

Unfair Contract 2WB
Enchantment
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, they create a treasure token.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you create X treasure tokens, where X is 1 more than the number of opponents you have.
Sacrifice 6 treasure tokens: Choose 1. Any player may activate this ability but only as a sorcery.
  • Put 2 +1/+1 counters on target creature, then put a lifelink, vigilance, and first strike counter on that creature as well.
  • Search your library for a card, put that card into your hand, then shuffle. You lose 2 life.
I make a silver, church makes a gold, that's how I know I'm here 'till I'm old. - Work song sung by orzhov laborers.

IIW: Draft a card from this card's spellbook.
Last edited by chetoos 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”