Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
3 years ago
Megiddo wrote:
3 years ago
you're, uh, 11 years late on that one
You linked the exact post within an hour of mellifluoresce's post.

From 10 years ago.

How.

Why.
When?

Where?

Wat?
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Megiddo
MEG
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Megiddo » 3 years ago

The World Frog 2BG
Legendary Creature - Elder Frog (R)
As long as The World Frog is on the battlefield, it has all activated abilities of all land cards in all graveyards.
4/4

IIW: My favorite animal
MEG

Megiddo
MEG

3 years ago
Megiddo wrote:
3 years ago
you're, uh, 11 years late on that one
You linked the exact post within an hour of mellifluoresce's post.

From 10 years ago.

How.

Why.
I don't remember all of my ~50,000 posts on MTGSalvation, but I do remember a small number of particular posts. That's one of them.
MEG

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 3 years ago

Abrax, First with Sight 2UR
Legendary Creature — Elder Bird (M)
Flying
Players play with their libraries revealed and can't shuffle their libraries. (Each player must keep their library in order, even while searching their library.)
If a player would shuffle a card into their library from anywhere, they put it on the bottom of their library instead.
2/2

IIW: Unusual things to do to zones
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Post by avatarz » 3 years ago

Wise Phelddagrif 1GWU
Creature — Elder Phelddagrif (M)
G: Until end of turn, Wise Phelddagrif can't be blocked by creatures with power 2 or less. Target opponent creates a 1/1 green Hippo creature token.
W: Put a +1/+1 counter on Wise Phelddagrif. It gains vigilance until end of turn. Target opponent gains 2 life.
U: Exile Wise Phelddagrif, then return it to the battlefiled under its owner's control. Target opponent may draw a card.
4/4

IIW: SCP-Foundation

Megiddo
MEG

:^)
MEG

KoolKoal
For Posterity

Post by KoolKoal » 3 years ago

*On the plane of Enronanon, the plane of white-collar office work.*

In the offices of Wizards of the Cost-Profit Analysis Inc. a stack of papers has just arrived at a young secretary's desk. She flicked through them with brisk movements to confirm their proper grouping and organization before contacting her superior through the magical communication artifact on her desk.
Many denizens of other planes would find the casual usage of such a powerful and versatile artifact, simply to speak to the occupant of the adjacent room without moving the short distance required and opening a door, wasteful and foolish in the extreme. Such was business, however.

"Mr. Bolas, the latest applications for Elder species have arrived."

"Very well, Candace. Bring them in." Her superior responded with a put-upon sigh.

Candace stood and her heels (a full inch higher than regulation, for she was an over-achiever) clacked on true-white marble as she strode to the small door that connected to Mr. Bolas's office. With a polite knock, she stepped inside. It was a cavernous room with mahogany walls and gold filigree. Hunting trophies, the size of a magi-tech support cubical, hung on the walls, as did plaques that read things like "Platinum-Level Evil Overlord Achievement" and news-reels with headlines such as "BOLAS VOTED MOST FEARED CEO FOR 13TH CONSECUTIVE YEAR."

The secretary approached a desk the size of two-bedroom apartment, and many times as expensive, and carefully climbed the staircase that would bring her up to the surface. She paced carefully to the inbox stack of documents, and placed the new forms at the top.

"Here you are, sir."

"Thank you, Candace," said the large dragon seated at the desk.

"Is there anything else I can do for you, sir?"

"Hold my calls. I want to take my time on these."

"Yes sir." The woman responded with a slight bow and carefully descended to leave the Elder Dragon's office.

Nicol Bolas, CEO, Elder Dragon, Planeswalker, and certified evil-genius, watched his secretary leave. She was starting to get old, he realized regretfully. Nearly twenty-eight, by Dominarian standard time-keeping. It was truly regretful. Soon her youthful demeanor that other humans found attractive would fade, and he would have to release her back into the cold embrace of the job market. He found it a crude custom, but one must play by certain rules and keep up the proper image to gain power on Enronanon.
Still, it was regretful. Good help was so hard to come by.

He pulled the first application from the stack, adjusted his reading glasses carefully with his claws. New fodder thought themselves worthy of Elder status all the time, and Nicol Bolas had always done his best to hunt them down and eradicate them. However, over the years he had learned more and more cunning methods of operating, and his most effective tended to be linked to this plane. The Plane of Business was wonderfully manipulative, exploitative, and cruel. The Elder Species Initiative was an excellent example of the efficiency of industry.

By officially licensing the property of an Elder subject of a species, all those that the multiverse randomly gifted too much power for their unworthy frames, were forced to apply to him for recognition. He in turn, would take notes on their location and notable traits, assign tasks for himself and others to properly deal with the applicants, and return them a rejection.

Such foolish creatures. Did they truly believe they were worthy to claim the same title as he? When they could not even spot such an obvious trap? They did not possess the majesty such as he, to be gifted power on a silver platter from the writers of worlds. No one would believe if one of these executed a poorly written xanatos gambit full of plotholes which could only be explained away by Nicol's stunning intellect.

The Elder Dragon leaned back in his ergonomic chair, and began to collate the data.
Judging the unworthy
Show
Hide
Cythare wrote:
3 years ago
Agreed!

The idea here is that these are splinters of a World Tree that shattered early in the plane's existence, and are the progenitors of various plantoid creatures that populate the plane.

Adalis, First Shard to Mend WWW
Legendary Creature — Elder Splinter (M)
Lifelink
When Adalis, First Shard to Mend enters the battlefield, put a lifelink counter on each other creature you control. You gain 3 life.
If you would gain life, you gain twice that much life instead. If an opponent would gain life, they gain half that much life instead.
3/3

Sigalis, First Shard to Reach UUU
Prowess
When Sigalis, First Shard to Reach enters the battlefield, the next spell you cast costs 0 to cast.
Whenever you cast a spell, draw two cards, then put a card from your hand on the bottom of your library.
3/3

Xumalis, First Shard to Fester BBB
Menace
When Xumalis, First Shard to Fester enters the battlefield, each opponent discards two cards.
Whenever an opponent discards a card, exile that card. You may cast it for as long as it's exiled and spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast that spell.
3/3

Yglis, First Shard to Burn RRR
Haste
When Yglis, First Shard to Burn enters the battlefield, it deals 2 damage to each other creature and planeswalker.
If a source you control would deal damage to another player or a permanent you don't control, it deals double that damage instead.
3/3

Parilis, First Shard to Grow GGG
Vigilance
When Paralis, First Shard to Grow enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on each other creature you control.
If one or more +1/+1 counters would be put on a permanent you control, twice that many counters are put on it instead.
3/3

IIW: Design a Lorehold scroll gun
My, my. A shattered world tree bleeding so much power that fragments of its bark gained vast power and sentience? This was just the sort of windfall Bolas loved to see first. Such creatures were still saplings on the scale of the eternities. He would have to mark the plane a high-priority.
subtext
Show
Hide
I like these a lot. The fun dual effects that interact with each other are nice. I find the green one a bit boring compared to the others though.
Megiddo wrote:
3 years ago
Olppaemi, the Sagacious WWUU
Legendary Creature — Elder Bird {M}
Flying
Olppaemi, the Sagacious gets +1/+1 for each card in your hand.
Whenever one or more creatures enter the battlefield under your control, draw a card.
3/3
The Rest
Show
Hide
Gaeguli the Tenacious UUBB
Legendary Creature — Elder Frog {M}
Flash
This spell can't be countered.
Deathtouch, hexproof, menace
4/4

Jwi, the Pernicious BBRR
Legendary Creature — Elder Rat {M}
Haste
Other Rat creatures you control get +1/+0 and have haste.
Whenever a Rat you control deals combat damage to a player, create X 1/1 black Rat creature tokens with deathtouch, where X is the number of opponents you have.
3/2

Goyang-I the Capricious RRGG
Legendary Creature — Elder Cat {M}
When you cast Goyang-I, the Capricious, each permanent you own but don't control deals 6 damage to its controller. Gain control of those permanents.
T: Target player gains control of target permanent you control.
0/5

Sanyang-Gae, the Auspicious GGWW
Legendary Creature — Elder Dog {M}
Vigilance
When Sanyang-Gae, the Auspicious enters the battlefield, choose up to three target permanent cards in your graveyard. Return each one of those cards that's a creature card with power two or less to the battlefield, then return the rest to your hand.
4/4
IIW
Show
Hide
Create a card that would be collecter's number 40 in its set. This will usually be a white or blue card.

IMPORTANT: Include the number of each color of card in your set. For example, if you have 26 cards of each color, plus 10 lands and 5 artifacts (145 total), say that.

Bonus: Create the names of cards numbered 1-39.

Super Bonus: Create the cards numbered 1-39.

Scoring will be out of 20 points.
Bonus 1 will earn you up to 5 extra points.
Bonus 2 will earn you up to 25 extra points. (this includes bonus one. You won't get 30 extra points)
Hm, a random assortment of animals on this plane. Though some sound delicious, the rat and the cat are questionable. The rat may make a good agent *ahem* sub-contractor on the plane, but that cat. Bolas was quite tired of cats. They had the annoying tendency to get inexplicable power-ups from the power of friendship or honor or what-have-you and defeat vastly superior beings as in the ramblings of a pre-pubescant child's power-fantasy.
subtext
Show
Hide
Olppaemi is pretty cool. Turning all of your creatures into cantrips is pretty nuts, but with that mana cost... balancing this seems tough.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
3 years ago
The First Plague BBB
Legendary Creature- Elder Germ (R)
The First Plague gets +0/+1 for each Germ on the battlefield.
When a player casts a spell, that player creates a 0/1 black Germ creature token with "At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 1 life."
2BBB, Pay 3 life: Return The First Plague from your graveyard to your hand.
0/0
Spam bonus entries
Show
Hide
Kyeryll Kadai, Eldest Bloom 3G
Legendary Creature- Elder Plant (R)
Hexproof, defender
At the beginning of your postcombat main phase, if there are fewer than three bloom counters on Kyeryll Kadai, add G and put a bloom counter on it. If there are three or more bloom counters, remove all of them, then add that much mana of any one color and gain that much life.
1/10

She With No Name 6XGG
Legendary Creature- Elder Spider (M)
Vigilance, Reach
When She With No Name enters the battlefield, create X 2/4 green spider creature tokens with reach.
She With No Name can block an additional 7 creatures each combat.
The food chain doesn't end with dragons.
8/16
IIW: Make a more balanced version of a card that has been banned somewhere. No power nine.
A plague has gained sentience. How delightful. Nicol wondered if he could lure his brother to investigate the plane and trap him within...
subtext
Show
Hide
I don't see the appeal of the germ. You get a 0/X creature that punishes you for playing the game equally with your opponents, but its effect is completely irrelevant if they have a way to repeatedly sacrifice creatures.
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Teascale Elder 4GGG
Creature - Elder Wurm (M)
Menace, Trample, Rampage 3
Wurm creatures you control have hexproof.
1G, T: Search your hand, graveyard, and/or library for a creature named Teascale Wurmling and put it onto the battlefield. If you search your library in this way, shuffle.
"Teascale Wurms never stop growing, and the oldest, most powerful female in a region sees all smaller wurms as her children." — Vivien Reed, Field Notes.
8/8
Why Tea?
Show
Hide
Tea in this instance refers to the color of Tea Green, which is incidentally the color of green tea. It is a pale yellowish green with a hint of grey, and is very pretty.
Bonus content:

Teascale Wurmling 2G
Creature - Wurm (C)
Wither
"Newly hatched Teascale Wurms have serrated teeth that leave nasty wounds." — Vivien Reed, Field notes.
3/2

IIW: Dinosaurs or paleolithic creatures.
Tea-flavored wurms? Bolas would have to attempt to brew them upon collection. Perhaps he could add a new source of revenue to his portfolio...
subtext
Show
Hide
Bringing back old-school Rampage, nice. It's got a pretty powerful blend of keywords, but I think its a bit vanilla for a mythic. I'd expect it to be a normal rare.
Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
Isamaru, Loyalty Incarnate 4W
Legendary Creature - Elder Dog
Indestructible
Whenever Isamaru, Loyalty Incarnate attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.
2/2

I was initially thinking an Elder Squirrel, but Toski, Bearer of Secrets sorta fills a lot of the same space for that. Got me thinking about Elder small animals, though, and thought about if Isamaru had become an elder dog, but stayed the same size, what would make him feel properly impactful. And that's how we got this.

IIW: Wizard Hat
Oh, he thinks being such a good boy makes him an Elder candidate? Dogs.
subtext
Show
Hide
Its a cute design, but I find it a little on the small side for an Elder creature.
3 years ago
Nexacles, Titan of Night's Despair
1ub
Legendary Creature - Elder Giant {M}
When Nexacles enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless it escaped.
Whenever Nexacles enters the battlefield or attacks, you draw two cards, then you discard a card and lose 2 life.
Escape uubb, Exile five other cards from your graveyard. (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its escape cost.)
6/6

I spent waaay too much time on this. Drawing just one card seems underwhelming, but drawing two feels extremely broken. This was the best compromise I could think of.

Urvogel, Missing Link
1wurg
Legendary Creature - Elder Bird Dinosaur {M}
Flying
Other Birds you control get +2/+2 and have haste.
Other Dinosaurs you control get +1/+1 and have trample.
: Put a flying counter on target non-Bird Dinosaur creature you control. That creature becomes a Bird in addition to its other types.
3/4

IIW: Nepenthes Pitcher-Plant
Leave it to a giant to accidentally call itself a sub-sentient being. Good of it to inform him of its power-hungry, yet moronic nature, however. He could make use of this.

The over-grown bird lizard had the potential to change the evolutionary course of its plane. Observation was in order. Bolas would have to nudge it in the proper directions.
subtext
Show
Hide
The giant definitely doesn't qualify for an animal/non-sapient creature type, sorry. I like the bird/dino hybrid, though I feel like it has more colors than necessary and I wish it could also turn birds into dinosaurs.
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
3 years ago
The Eternal Tempest 3GUR
Legendary Creature - Elder Elemental (M)
Flying, haste, trample
Whenever The Eternal Tempest attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on it, then return target nonland permanent with mana value less than The Eternal Tempest's power to its owner's hand.
When The Eternal Tempest dies, it deals damage equal to its power to each creature, each planeswalker and each player.
5/5

IIW: conspiracy draft cards
Drinking a storm elemental's essence is always an ordeal, and this one already seems beyond control by simple means. Bolas considered for a time and marked it down as more trouble than it was worth.
subtext
Show
Hide
Now this card is freaking pushed. Very much feeling the "dies to doomblade" method of card balance here :P Elemental is a super-borderline choice as plenty of those are sapient in magic, but I'll let it slide.
Ulka wrote:
3 years ago
Old Yeller WR
Legendary Creature - Elder Dog (R)
First Strike, Haste, Infect
Sacrifice Old Yeller: Put two +1/+1 counters on target human creature. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
3/1

IIW: Cephalids Reminagined
The Elder Dragon sighed and immediately set the newest application aside. What was the meaning of these dogs and their dauntless belief in loyalty? How could a dying animal be an Elder? Ludicrous.
subtext
Show
Hide
How dare you name this Old Yeller :sick:
lookingupanddown wrote:
3 years ago
Redwood Shepherd 3GW
Creature - Elder Treefolk Scout (U)
Reach
Blocking creatures you control get +1/+2.
XGW, : Create X 0/1 white Goat creature tokens. Creatures you control gain indestructible until end of turn.
"The ravages of time and the world do unquestionable things to the young. I hope my little efforts over the years have done some work in blunting the pain."
3/4

Redwood Sage 3GU
Creature - Elder Treefolk Shaman (U)
Reach
Whenever Redwood Sage blocks, draw a card.
1GU, Sacrifice Redwood Sage: Scry X, where X is its power, then reveal the top card of your library. Draw cards equal to the revealed card's mana value.
"We redwoods spend our entire lives chronicling the wisdom of the world. We do not die when we are cut down; we die when the last of our teachings become obsolete."
2/5

Redwood Seer 3BG
Creature - Elder Treefolk Warlock (U)
Reach
Whenever a blocking creature you control dies, scry 1.
2BG, Exile a card from your graveyard: Return a card of the exiled card's type from your graveyard to your hand. You lose 1 life.
"Eons of life and death have shown me that time has a short memory. History and its participants have a tendency to repeat themselves."
1/6

Redwood Skywatcher 3RG
Creature - Elder Treefolk Warrior (U)
Reach
Whenever Redwood Skywatcher blocks a creature with flying, it deals 1 damage to that creature.
RG, Discard a card: Another target creature that hasn't been targeted by this ability you control gets +2/+2 and first strike until end of turn.
"My kind have always looked to the sky for inspiration and wonder. The countless sunrises and sunsets bring new ideas and those willing to see them through."
4/3

IIW: Planeswalker commanders
Trees are such simple creatures. Bolas mused, Of course, they would not see themselves as separate from the forest around them, though they clearly are a race with an intellect and a will. Such beings did not belong on this list, but the claims of their size were fascinating. He could gain great benefits from a logging operation in their realm...
subtext
Show
Hide
Treefolk definitively does not meet the challenge requirements, unfortunately. I find myself wishing they shared one more similarity. Either if each of their blocking-matters abilities affected all blockers or just themselves, or if their activated abilities all cost only mana... Something. The limited similarities of mana cost and reach leaves me wanting more.
mellifluoresce wrote:
3 years ago
Crushwagg
Legendary Creature - Elder Brushwagg (M)
Trample
When Crushwagg enters the battlefield or attacks, it deals 1 damage to each creature and planeswalker you don't control. Those permanents lose indestructible and hexproof until end of turn.
As long as Crushwagg is attacking or blocking, it gets +X/+X, where X is the total amount of noncombat damage it's dealt this turn.
4/4

IIW: Spice Girls
How did a simple brushwagg grow so strong? A pity there were never many examples on the species on each plane. The Crushwagg could live a full life with no lessers to lead. Of course, Bolas intended nothing remotely similar to a "full life" for the creature, but he could allow himself to think of futures that would not be on occasion.
subtext
Show
Hide
An interesting design, though I don't understand the reason it can take away hexproof from things.
Stapler wrote:
3 years ago
Squeakers, Battleworn Mentor 1W
Legendary Creature - Elder Mouse (R)
Whenever another creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may pay W. If you do, put an indestructible counter on that creature and it gains "Whenever this creature is dealt damage, if it has an indestructible counter on it, remove an indestructible counter from it at the beginning of the next upkeep."
After retiring from a life of fighting endless wars since birth, Squeakers decided to help the next generation by passing on the wisdom he had gained over his storied two years.
1/3

IIW: "choose one that hasn't been chosen [this turn] —"
Well now... I suppose that is an impressive level of power for a mouse. Unfortunately, such trifling power was not worth the paper of the form it had wasted. Bolas incinerated it with a thought.
subtext
Show
Hide
A fun little design, but its quite weak for an Elder card. I can understand that weakness in this case, as a mouse, but I still think an Elder Mouse should have more impact.
Togs wrote:
3 years ago
The World Turtle
Legendary Creature - Elder Turtle (R)
When The World Turtle enters the battlefield, you may search your library for a land card, exile it, then shuffle your library. If you do, The World Turtle gains all activated abilities of that card. (This includes mana abilities.)
2/4
How did a world turtle form so small? It had to have been on one of the miniscule planes. Such a small specimen was hardly worth Elder status. It would not even make a proper snack.
subtext
Show
Hide
Like Bolas said, a bit underwhelming for a World Turtle design. This is more like an island turtle imo.
Megiddo wrote:
3 years ago
The World Frog
Legendary Creature - Elder Frog (R)
As long as The World Frog is on the battlefield, it has all activated abilities of all land cards in all graveyards.
4/4

IIW: My favorite animal
Mmmm. Bolas hadn't tasted gargantuan frog legs in a long time. His mouth watered.
subtext
Show
Hide
Idk, fun design one-upping Togs I guess :shrug:
Cythare wrote:
3 years ago
Abrax, First with Sight 2UR
Legendary Creature — Elder Bird (M)
Flying
Players play with their libraries revealed and can't shuffle their libraries. (Each player must keep their library in order, even while searching their library.)
If a player would shuffle a card into their library from anywhere, they put it on the bottom of their library instead.
2/2

IIW: Unusual things to do to erogenous zones
Such a far seeing bird. To be worked with, or perhaps studied for its ability. Bolas would have to be cautious. Such a being could be alerted to the truth at any moment despite his perfect precautions.
subtext
Show
Hide
Funny design. Sounds like a terrible headache to actually play with xD
3 years ago
Wise Phelddagrif 1GWU
Creature — Elder Phelddagrif (M)
G: Until end of turn, Wise Phelddagrif can't be blocked by creatures with power 2 or less. Target opponent creates a 1/1 green Hippo creature token.
W: Put a +1/+1 counter on Wise Phelddagrif. It gains vigilance until end of turn. Target opponent gains 2 life.
U: Exile Wise Phelddagrif, then return it to the battlefiled under its owner's control. Target opponent may draw a card.
4/4

IIW: SCP-Foundation
A so called "wise" phelddagrif continued its species foolish trait of gifting power to its enemies. Bolas resolved to harvest resources from this foolish "Elder" creature for as long as was profitable.
subtext
Show
Hide
A phelddagrif that might actually be worth playing. Very weird :P
Winner
Show
Hide
HM: Meg's wise animal farm. Lots of other good design, but most didn't have the impact I felt was necessary for the Elder type.
Winner: Cythare's Splinters

Next: Design a Lorehold scroll gun

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

I debated whether to make the wurm rare or mythic, but in the end decided on mythic for two simple reasons: It has both Menace and Rampage, meaning if it gets blocked it's at least an 11/11, which for 7 mana is pretty damn strong with no downside. And secondly, it grants all wurms hexproof, including itself. Meaning it is pretty hard to get rid off. It would be a power house in both limited and constructed formats. As a bonus, it can tutor for its babies.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

KoolKoal
For Posterity

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
I debated whether to make the wurm rare or mythic, but in the end decided on mythic for two simple reasons: It has both Menace and Rampage, meaning if it gets blocked it's at least an 11/11, which for 7 mana is pretty damn strong with no downside. And secondly, it grants all wurms hexproof, including itself. Meaning it is pretty hard to get rid off. It would be a power house in both limited and constructed formats. As a bonus, it can tutor for its babies.
That's true. I suppose I lean toward the school of thought that Mythics should be mythic because they feel cooler than normal rares (which is an even more subjective criteria than most custom card design, but still...), and that any card that is "too powerful to be rare" for limited purposes should just be toned down.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

KoolKoal wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
That's true. I suppose I lean toward the school of thought that Mythics should be mythic because they feel cooler than normal rares (which is an even more subjective criteria than most custom card design, but still...), and that any card that is "too powerful to be rare" for limited purposes should just be toned down.
Simply sharing my reasoning for the rarity I gave it. It's all good. :)

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

For reference, the challenge is referring to the gun that the dwarf is wielding in the bottom left corner of Lorehold Command. I will, however, also accept entries using the alternate challenge I put in my other entry of "unusual things to do with zones (or unusual ways to interact with zones)".
Level 2 Judge circa 2016

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 3 years ago

Courage-bound Spellcannon 2WW
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature gets +3/+0 and has first Strike.
Whenever the equipped creature attacks, it gains indestructible until the end of turn.
2R, T: Courage-bound Spellcannon deals damage equal to the equipped creatures power to any target.
Equip 1

iiw: Splinters
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Gatling Scroll 3
Artifact
RW, T: Scry 2, then mill the top card of your library: Gatling Scroll deals damage equal to the milled card's mana value.
1: Untap Gatling Scroll.

IIW: Dinosaurs or Paleolithic creatures.
Last edited by Krishnath 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

KoolKoal
For Posterity

Scroll Cannon
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature has trample as long as it is attacking and no creatures are blocking it.
Discard a card: Scroll Cannon deals X damage to target creature blocking equipped creature, where X is the number of words in the discarded card's text box.
Equip
Weird Brainstorm
Show
Hide
Scroll Cannon
Artifact - Firearm Equipment (R)
At the beginning of your untap step, if Scroll Cannon is loaded, you may draw a card.
Fire Scroll Cannon: Scroll Cannon deals damage to target attacking or blocking creature equal to the number of cards in your hand. (To fire a firearm, tap it. It can't untap until it is reloaded. Firearms are reloaded during your untap step.)
Equip or

Autofire Enhancement
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant Firearm Equipment
When enchanted firearm is fired, you may pay , where X is the number of times it was fired this turn. If you do, reload it.
IIW: wordy wordy wordy
Last edited by KoolKoal 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 3 years ago

Spell-Action Artillery 1
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature gets +X/+0, where X is the highest mana value of a card exiled by Spell-Action Artillery
Whenever equipped creature attacks, you may copy an instant or sorcery exiled by Spell-Action Artillery and cast the copy.
Equip - X, Exile a card with mana value X from your hand
"Let me show you what I've learned from Professors Smithson and Wessith."

iiw: conspiracy style draft cards or something

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 3 years ago

Dwarven Scrollslinger 2R
Creature- Dwarf Wizard (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, exile the top card of your library. Until end of turn, you may play the exiled card. At the beginning of your end step, if the exiled card hasn't been played, put it into your graveyard, and deal damage equal to its mana value to any target.
2/2

IIW: A new keyword for an old plane

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 3 years ago

Runic Spellcannon 3
Artifact
: Runic Spellcannon deals 1 damage to target player.
2, Sacrifice all Runes attached to permanents you control: Runic Spellcannon deals X plus one damage to any target, where X is the number of Runes sacrificed this way.
1RW: You may cast target Rune from your graveyard this turn without paying its mana cost. You may only attach those Runes to permanents you control without a Rune attached to them. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.

IIW: Use an unreleased mechanic to make a card

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 3 years ago

Artilliteracy
3rr
Enchantment (R)
Red instant and sorcery spells you cast have "This spell deals 2 damage to up to one target."
Artifacts you control have "1, T: This permanent deals 1 damage to any target."
"Dinnae read th' scroll, fire it!"- Gwal, dwarven librarian

"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

TacticalCelebrant

Post by TacticalCelebrant » 3 years ago

Gutter Sniper Rifle 2r
Artifact - Equipment (U)
When Gutter Sniper Rifle enters the battlefield, you may attach it to target creature you control.
Equipped creature has "t: This creature deals 2 damage to target opponent."
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may untap equipped creature.
Equip: 3
Not a toy.

IIW: Create a new kind of token (Clue, Treasure, Shard, etc)

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

*Pokes thread with a stick*

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 3 years ago

Unusual stuff with zones.

Nilvi No-Knuckles 1B
Legendary Creature- Skeleton (R)
Play with your hand revealed. Cards in your hand are also in your graveyard.
Scavenge 2B (1b, Exile this card from your graveyard: Put a number of +1/+1 counters equal to this card's power on target creature. Scavenge only as a sorcery.)
2/2

IIW: Mercadia II

Sporegorger_Dragon

Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
3 years ago
Unusual stuff with zones.
I forgot there was an alternate theme

Barmeil, Belching Pitcher-Plant
4{B}{G}{G}{U}
Legendary Creature - Plant
Whenever Barmeil, Belching Pitcher-Plant or another nontoken Plant creature enters the battlefield under your control, exile target creature you don't control and put a gulp counter on it.
Creature cards you exiled with gulp counters on them can attack and block as though they were on the battlefield under your control. (If an exiled creature dies, it is put into its owner's graveyard.)
3/7

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Apologies for the delay! I was busy...excavating things, in the frozen wastes! (I had a D&D session last night that I realized I was woefully unprepared to DM, since there were 7 different directions they could choose to go at the beginning of the session.)

Today is final presentation day for Magical Firearm Engineering, and I hope all of your projects are in tip-top shape and working order! My name is Anastasia Totemtrunk, and I'll be your proctor!
Your Final Presentations
Show
Hide
Ulka wrote:
3 years ago
Courage-bound Spellcannon 2WW
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature gets +3/+0 and has first Strike.
Whenever the equipped creature attacks, it gains indestructible until the end of turn.
2R, T: Courage-bound Spellcannon deals damage equal to the equipped creatures power to any target.
Equip 1

iiw: Splinters
Very interesting, a spellcannon with auto-fire! This is definitely a sturdy design that provides both attack and defense. Firing on its own while still empowering the wielder is quite the feat! (I expect that granting both first strike and indestructible with such a large power increase is fairly redundant. Tapping the Equipment to deal damage and not the creature is also somewhat unintuitive to me.)
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Gatling Scroll 3
Artifact
RW, T: Scry 2, then mill the top card of your library: Gatling Scroll deals damage equal to the milled card's mana value.
1: Untap Gatling Scroll.
Very intriguing. A somewhat chaotic interpretation of a gun that appears to function independently of an operator! It appears to maybe be a bit too chaotic? What is it shooting at? (I like the idea of random damage, but unfortunately, it doesn't target anything or specify what it's dealing the damage to, which makes it hard to fully judge. Is it any target? Just creatures? All creatures?)
KoolKoal wrote:
3 years ago
Scroll Cannon
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature has trample as long as it is attacking and no creatures are blocking it.
Discard a card: Scroll Cannon deals X damage to target creature blocking equipped creature, where X is the number of words in the discarded card's text box.
Equip
Weird Brainstorm
Show
Hide
Scroll Cannon
Artifact - Firearm Equipment (R)
At the beginning of your untap step, if Scroll Cannon is loaded, you may draw a card.
Fire Scroll Cannon: Scroll Cannon deals damage to target attacking or blocking creature equal to the number of cards in your hand. (To fire a firearm, tap it. It can't untap until it is reloaded. Firearms are reloaded during your untap step.)
Equip or

Autofire Enhancement
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant Firearm Equipment
When enchanted firearm is fired, you may pay , where X is the number of times it was fired this turn. If you do, reload it.
IIW: wordy wordy wordy
Are you sure you're in the right class? Counting? In Lorehold? Are you a transfer student from Quandrix? I expect this will be somewhat unintuitive to people who don't have at least a couple intermediate courses in mathemagics, but its potency is undeniable. Still, if you're in trouble during an excavation, I'm not sure how many Lorehold trainees would have the time to operate this under pressure. (Does this include reminder text and flavor text? I assume not but it could benefit from clarification. This feels slightly Un- to me, but it's a cool take and I like how it will make the reader think when they read the first line. It's also a bit weird how it'll display in digital, since it'll have trample during the declare attackers step and then will lose it once it's blocked, although the distinction does matter for Stonebrow, Krosan Hero.)
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
3 years ago
Spell-Action Artillery 1
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature gets +X/+0, where X is the highest mana value of a card exiled by Spell-Action Artillery
Whenever equipped creature attacks, you may copy an instant or sorcery exiled by Spell-Action Artillery and cast the copy.
Equip - X, Exile a card with mana value X from your hand
"Let me show you what I've learned from Professors Smithson and Wessith."

iiw: conspiracy style draft cards or something
A very good show! Saving your spells for later and for future use by other operators is an excellent technological breakthrough! I'll have to tell the Dean about this one! (This is cool, and I like how you used the opportunity to care about mana value and to tie the cost of equipping to the spell. I like that in a pinch you can exile a land to equip it to something, but I wish that the +X/+0 also only cared about instants & sorceries so that the two abilities felt more aligned. Still a very cool concept!)
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
3 years ago
Dwarven Scrollslinger 2R
Creature- Dwarf Wizard (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, exile the top card of your library. Until end of turn, you may play the exiled card. At the beginning of your end step, if the exiled card hasn't been played, put it into your graveyard, and deal damage equal to its mana value to any target.
2/2

IIW: A new keyword for an old plane
Wait, so you are the cannon? Ah, I see. You're presenting with the alternate prompt! I got so focused on spell cannons that I forgot there were two prompts! A very interesting interpretation on expanding your brain power and leveraging excess resources! (This is pretty neat - I like that this plays in a somewhat similar vein to Valakut Exploration but on a creature. You could probably adjust the wording to match it, but it's fine as-is other than a stray comma in the last sentence after "graveyard".)
lookingupanddown wrote:
3 years ago
Runic Spellcannon 3
Artifact
: Runic Spellcannon deals 1 damage to target player.
2, Sacrifice all Runes attached to permanents you control: Runic Spellcannon deals X plus one damage to any target, where X is the number of Runes sacrificed this way.
1RW: You may cast target Rune from your graveyard this turn without paying its mana cost. You may only attach those Runes to permanents you control without a Rune attached to them. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.

IIW: Use an unreleased mechanic to make a card
Runes? What are those? Wait, I haven't seen you in this class before. Are you even a student here? (I like the idea of having another card that plays with Runes, but I don't really expect there to be more Runes made - it felt like they were a cute one-of cycle. Outside of this being a questionable card in a booster set, though, I like the space this plays in.)
3 years ago
Artilliteracy
3rr
Enchantment (R)
Red instant and sorcery spells you cast have "This spell deals 2 damage to up to one target."
Artifacts you control have "1, T: This permanent deals 1 damage to any target."
"Dinnae read th' scroll, fire it!"- Gwal, dwarven librarian

Wait, so everything's a spellcannon now? This is definitely an amazing idea. With this, we don't have to even lug around most of the cannons other than maybe the heavy! (This is probably reasonable at 5 mana, but it does provide a lot of reach. I'm not certain what the right rate for this is. It's a very neat concept, though.)
TacticalCelebrant wrote:
3 years ago
Gutter Sniper Rifle 2r
Artifact - Equipment (U)
When Gutter Sniper Rifle enters the battlefield, you may attach it to target creature you control.
Equipped creature has "t: This creature deals 2 damage to target opponent."
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may untap equipped creature.
Equip: 3
Not a toy.

IIW: Create a new kind of token (Clue, Treasure, Shard, etc)
Aha, a specialist cannon! This feels like it's maybe better leveraged by other colleges' expertises, and we're not really in the habit of sharing our technology with them, but I'm sure there are some here who could put it to serviceable use. (I like the idea of turning any of your creatures into a Guttersnipe, and also the idea of granting pseudo-vigilance in red. Disregard the flavor of the in-story judge - the idea here is cool, but it feels UR and not WR so it felt correct to have the proctor respond that way.)
Your Marks
Show
Hide
A good showing from all of the students today! Unfortunately, grading at Lorehold occurs on a curve, so you can't all get As.
As: TacticalCelebrant, Mergatroid_Jones
A+: NinjaCaterpie
Next class: conspiracy style draft cards or something
Level 2 Judge circa 2016

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

(Augh! I forgot to add the target. >.<)

Sporegorger_Dragon

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
(Augh! I forgot to add the target. >.<)
As is typical of a Lorehold student :P

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”