NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Chemtrails
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Chemtrails » 3 years ago

I don't even think this counts.

Schizmogenesis 1UR
Sorcery (U)
Draw two cards, then discard a card. If a blue card was discarded this way, create a 1/1 blue Weird creature token with flying. If a red card was discarded this way, create a 1/1 red Weird creature token with haste.

IIW: Three activated abilities.

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Flatline » 3 years ago

Chemtrails wrote:
3 years ago
I don't even think this counts.
It is within the intended bounds of my poorly worded challenge. I meant type of token, not type of creature.
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Dracolich's Ritual 3BB
Enchantment (R)
B, Discard a card: Target player loses 1 life.
At the beginning of your upkeep, exile a creature card from your graveyard. If you do, create a tapped 2/2 black Zombie creature token. Then, if you control four or more Zombies, sacrifice Dracolich's Ritual and create a 6/6 black Dragon Zombie creature token with flying and haste.

IIW: Nongreen Plants, Dryads, or Treefolk
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Animating Weaponsmith
Creature - Artificer (U)
When Animating Weaponsmith enters the battlefield, exile target Equipment card from any graveyard. Create colorless equipment token with living weapon and "Equipped creture gains +X/+X, where X is exiled card converted mana cost.". (When that Equipment enters the battlefield, create a 0/0 black Germ creature token, then attach that equipment to it.)
Every heretic sword reforged is a blade added to glory of Phyrexia.
2/1

IIW: Ramp or rituals without green.

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

TacticalCelebrant - This card is fantastically flavorful. It seems pretty slow to set up, particularly since there are no other Herbivores in MTG right now (outside of Changleings of course), but it might be too strong if it were sped up very much. All in all, I like this card quite a bit.

chetoos - This is fine card, though a bit boring. It's really just a beefed up Forbidden Friendship. Five power with abilities for four CMC is pretty good though. Especially in limited.

Chemtrails - TBH, I was actually thinking different creature types when I made the challenge, but that's only because something like this didn't occur to me at the time. Regardless, I really love this card. The name is great, the power level is high, but not crazy in any way, and the double color check on the discarded card isn't anything I remember ever seeing before. I only wish that a card this awesome came with some flavor text. Great job!

void_nothing - Hmmm. This is a difficult card for me to assess. It seems pretty innocent at first glance, but then you start to realize that, in a Zombie deck, this is basically a 6/6 flyer, and a 2/2 for five CMC and not a ton of set up. That seems pretty strong. Outside of a Zombie deck it is much slower of course. Even though the discard ability feeds into the other abilities, it seems tacked on to me for some reason. Something about this card strikes me as odd, even if I can't quite put my finger on it.

Lor Asbord Schutta - Oh man. There's a lot going on here - living weapon, pseudo imprint, an equipment token, which might be bit too much going on for an uncommon. You would definitely have to build around this card to really get anything out of it though. That said, if you can get an Elbrus, the Binding Blade into your graveyard before playing this card on the third turn, you end up with a 2/1 and a 7/7 with upside for three! Pretty crazy!

Winner: Chemtrails
HM: TacticalCelebrant

Next: Three activated abilities.
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
(25 Total) - October 2014; December 2014; January 2015; April 2015; June 2015; August 2015; September 2015; November 2015; December 2015(T); January 2016; March 2016(T); April 2016; June 2016; October 2016; December 2016(T); February 2017; April 2017; December 2017; November 2018(T); January 2019; April 2019; June 2019; August 2019; October 2019; March 2020
MCC
Show
Hide
(8 Total) - May 2015; May 2016; June 2016; August 2016; October 2016; December 2016; October 2017; May 2019
CCL
Show
Hide
(7 Total) - September 2015; October 2015; January 2016; March 2016; April 2016; July 2016(T); March 2019(T)

TacticalCelebrant

Post by TacticalCelebrant » 3 years ago

Revolutionist Printer 4
Artifact - (U)
t, Mill one card: Create a Paper token. (It's an artifact with "t, Sacrifce this artifact: Target player mills two cards.")
Tap an untapped red creature you control: Create a Paper token.
t: Sacrifice three Papers: Gain control of target creature until end of turn. Untap it. It gains haste until end of turn.
It's a cylce!
Show
Hide
Authoritarian Printer 3
Artifact - (U)
t, Mill one card: Create a Paper token. (It's an artifact with "t, Sacrifce this artifact: Target player mills two cards.")
Tap an untapped white creature you control: Create a Paper token.
t: Sacrifice a paper: Tap target creature.

Scolastic Printer 3
Artifact - (U)
Tap an untapped blue creature you control: Create a Paper token.
t: Sacrifice two Papers: Draw a card.

Blasphemist Printer 4
Artifact - (U)
Tap an untapped black creature you control: Create a Paper token.
t: Sacrifice two Papers: Target player discards a card.

Lumber Mill Printer 3
Artifact - (U)
Tap an untapped green creature you control: Create a Paper token.
t: Sacrifice one Paper: Create a Teasure token.
IIW: Paper tokens

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 3 years ago

Is it cheating to do a planeswalker? I don't know, but it wasn't outlawed!
Nissa, returning nurturer 2GG
Art depicts Nissa meditating on Zendikar, a cobra coiling near her, and a large elemental in the background, reminiscent of Avenger of Zendikar.
Legendary Planeswalker - Nissa (MR)
+1: Look at the top 3 cards of your library. You may reveal a land card. If you do, put it into your hand. Put the rest of the cards on the bottom of your library. If an island entered the battlefield under your control this turn, scry 1.
0: Create a 0/1 green plant creature token. If a forest entered the battlefield under your control this turn, create a 2/2 green plant creature token instead.
-6: You get an emblem with "whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, scry 1, create a 2/2 green plant creature token, and add 1 mana of any color."

IIW: Big green idiots.
Last edited by chetoos 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 3 years ago

Unlikely Hero R
Creature — Goblin (MR)
1{R/W}: Unlikely Hero becomes a 3/3 Goblin Warrior.
2{R/W}{R/W}: If Unlikely Hero is a Warrior, it becomes a Goblin Soldier with first strike and trample. You may attach an Equipment you control to it.
3{R/W}{R/W}{R/W}: If Unlikely Hero is a Soldier, it becomes an 8/8 Goblin Knight and gains double strike. Return all Equipment cards from your graveyard to the battlefield, then attach any number of Equipments you control to Unlikely Hero.
1/1

The text on this one will be small, like Figure of Destiny and Warden of the First Tree, but it'll fit. Unlikely Hero is for Zendikar in anticipation of an adventure theme that has a significant presence of equipment.
Render
Show
Hide
stof17.jpg

IIW: A tokenlink ability, like squirrellink
Last edited by spacemonaut 3 years ago, edited 10 times in total.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Now I realised, that a token Equipment from my last submission do not have an equip ability. Well, at least it fuels your metalcraft, right?

Sanity Scales
Artifact (R)
: Put a card from top of your library into your graveyard.
: Put a card from top of your graveyard on top of your library.
, sacrifice Sanity Scales: Exile your library. Shuffle your graveyard into your library, then put the exiled cards into your graveyard in any order.
"Those scales are hung on spider's web. With even a slight of more pressure they will break."
-Olka, mistmeadow witch

IIW: Removal that ommits (sub)type in flavouful way.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Daggerrock Caves
Land (U)
T: Add C.
1, T, Pay 1 life: Put a charge counter on Daggerrock Caves.
Remove a charge counter from Daggerrock Caves: Target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.

IIW: Bolas's Eternals
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Chemtrails

Make way for opinions
Show
Hide
TacticalCelebrant: Although I don't know how I feel conceptually about milling clue-likes on account of being a generally linear, non-interactive effect, this can be solved for in set design, and I do like that this provides flavor justification for the newly-ascended keyword's name. Maybe now players will think "Oh it turns their libraries into paper" instead of "Oh it's like that one card from the '90s." In either case, I don't think red (or green or white) creatures should be tapping to be milling, and in general this nets you high enough taps-to-mills efficiency to probably make limited a bit sad (does every color need a mill deck? how many creature tokens are we talkin' here?). I really want to like these, but I think this concept works best as a single uncommon build-around paper mill (without color restrictions) with an associated cycle of sac-a-page common creatures or something. As a bonus, you have also designed repeatable, instant speed discard. Is Magic doing that now?
chetoos: It is kind of cheating to do a Planeswalker, but I'm not mad about it. I don't understand why this cares about Islands (I get that Nissa is sometimes blue, but why this Nissa who otherwise doesn't mention Islands or have anything to do with blue?) This could key off any old land and still be fine, or double down on loving Forests for coherence points. I also really wish this just used 0/1 Plant tokens, and then added +1/+1 counters to them. There's a lot of good ideas here, but perhaps too many of them.
spacemonaut: I don't fully understand the choice of red hybrid mana on a mono red card, but I suppose it does let red-white decks run it without stumbling on colors and the red justifies the trample so okay. I feel like it might be a little bombastic for what in my mind wants to be sleek Spikebait. Having said that, I think think a part of my confusion stems from this card seeming to please everybody — Spikes love efficient creatures, but they don't care about equips.dek (until it T8s), while Timmies love yuge double strikers, but only like little efficient dorks as a friend. Johnny wants this for some kind of combo deck, but it's fragile and pushes you to win before you get there. I don't necessarily think it's wrong to have broad appeal, but I do think this design suffers for it.
Lord Asbord Schutta: The first ability is fine, the second is blatantly degenerate with any number of existing cards (free, repeatable recursion can be like that), and the third does a nice Morality Shift impression. The broader problem with this design is relying on graveyard order. I've been out of the Magic loop for a while now, but I'm fairly certain we haven't cared about that since Urza's Saga.
voidy-pie: I think making a land could be almost more cheating than making a planeswalker, but I'll let that slide. I wish the last ability had a tap symbol somewhere in its cost to provide a meaningful decision between banking a counter getting a boost, but the concept is very solid. What I appreciate most about this design is the way it conveys flavour with nothing more than a name and resonant mechanics. I'm picturing bleeding hands chipping spearheads from shards of razor sharp rock, and I love that.
Winner & next
Show
Hide
Winner: void_nothing
HM: spacemonaut
Next challenge: Bolas's Eternals

Chemtrails

Dreadhorde Igniter 3R
Creature — Zombie Wizard (R)
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, amass 1. (Put a +1/+1 counter on an Army you control. If you don't control one, create a 0/0 black Zombie Army creature token first.)
T, Sacrifice another Zombie creature: Add an amount of R to your mana pool equal to the sacrificed creature's power.
1/3

IIW: Fun with lands.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Oh totally forgot to respond. Cheers and thanks for the win! I would like to judge... tomorrow if possible, so get 'em in get 'em in.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Lieutenant Eternal 2UR
Creature — Zombie Minotaur
Menace
Whenever one or more creatures you control attack, amass X, where X is the number of attacking creatures you control.
3, Remove a +1/+1 counter from a creature you control: Draw a card. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
4/4

IIW: A tokenlink ability, like squirrellink
Last edited by spacemonaut 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Judging in the morning.

TacticalCelebrant

Dreadhorde Remorseless 3rr
Creature - Jakal Zombie (R)
Haste
When Dreadhorde Remorseless attacks, you may sacrifice another creature. If you do, Dreadhorde Remorseless gets +X/+X and gains double strike until end of turn, where X is the sacrificed creature's power.
2/2

IIW: Fair magic or "Fair magic"

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Chemtrails - %$#% yeah! It's like you've hacked my brain to give me exactly what I enjoy. This prowess fiend very much appreciates seeing an amass prowess lord, and that recycling mana ability allows for fun - or "fun" stuff. Very much aligned with how the red Eternals from WAR felt, and it's slow enough that I don't think it needs to change in order to be fair.

spacemonaut - The name throws me here: Eternal Skylord and Eternal Taskmaster suggest the name would be the other way around, as the other "___ Eternal" cards typically have either a species or an adjective as the first word. But that's a minor point: This looks like a fun engine similarly to Chemtrails's card, but I feel like the amass ability is too efficient and the card draw ability is too inefficient.

TacticalCelebrant - Fun, but swingy as hell! The haste worries me here because of how easily this can be "whoops, I swing for 14" or something straightaway, yet the haste is a key part of the appeal, so :shrug:, with cards like this you have to accept the swingy nature of the design. I like that this is a khenra flavorwise considering what real-life jackals are like.

Missed opportunities: Anything nonred lmao
HMs: both of the other people, these were actually all good
Winner: @Chemtrails
Next: Fun with lands

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

(It was a pun on Lieutenant Colonel :D)

chetoos

Nahiri, rebuilder 2RW
Legendary Planeswalker - Nahiri
+1 - Create a 1/1 red and white Kor creature token. If a land entered the battlefield under your control this turn, that creature enters the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter.
-4 - Nahiri deals X damage to target tapped creature, where X is the number of lands you control. This ability costs 1 less loyalty if a land entered the battlefield this turn.
-7 - Create a legendary artifact equipment token named "Lithomancer's Boon" with indestructible, Equip 3, and "Equipped creature gains trample, and gets +x/+x where X is the number of lands you control"

Next: Big green idiots.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Lich's Sovereignty
Enchantment (R)
Sacrifice land: The next time a land enters the battlefield under your control, sacrifice it. If you do, search your library for a land card, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
"A nature magic is an abhorence to a lesser lich, even greater then burning light and law magic. I use the latter freely, yet for the former I have little use. The ritual I describe down here is - while potent - extremely self-destructive and for the most of occasions pointless."
- Nevinyrral,
Necromancer's Handbook

IIW: Escape
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Flatline
The Heartbeat of America

Talisman of Fertility 3
Artifact (U)
t: Add one mana of any color.
Whenever a land enters the battlefield tapped and under your control, untap Talisman of Fertility.

IIW: Dogs
Card Contest Victories
Show
Hide
DCC
Show
Hide
MCC
Show
Hide
CCL
Show
Hide

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Underground Thoroughfares 2U
Enchantment - Aura (R)
Enchant land
If mana produced by enchanted land is spent on a creature spell, that creature enters the battlefield with a passage counter on it.
If a creature you control with a passage counter on it dealing damage to a player causes one of its triggered abilities to trigger, that ability triggers an additional time.
Lands you control that are creatures can't be blocked.
The land itself knows the trickiest shortcuts.

IIW: Krakens, Leviathans, Octopodes, or Serpents

PanchoPonceN
Old School Flamingo

Post by PanchoPonceN » 3 years ago

A new home for our Club? A new opportunity to go back into business, baby!

Let's see if I'm not that rusted...

Zakkea, Reader of the Wind 3GU
Legendary Creature - Elf Wizard (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, exchange control of target land an opponent controls and target land you control of that opponent's choice.
1, T, Sacrifice a land: Draw a card.
[2/4]
Last edited by PanchoPonceN 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

TacticalCelebrant

Welcome back Pancho!

Palace Potentialis
Legendary Land (R)
t: Add
Whenever a land enters the battlefield, Palace Potentialis gains all activated abilities of that land until end of turn.
It can become wherever you are.

IIW: Fair magic or "Fair magic"

chetoos

Judge?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”