NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

KoolKoal
For Posterity
Pronoun: he / him

Post by KoolKoal » 3 years ago

Cythare wrote:
3 years ago
This is, of course, possibly unfair to people whose interpretation of the challenge didn't line up with how I intended to judge it, but there were entries that did align with how I envisioned it, so it felt right to award the victory there.
Wait wait wait

Are you saying we shouldn't make completely arbitrary and meaningless judgments based more on our moods and information we never shared than on our actual opinions or the merit of the design?

Mergatroid_Jones
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 3 years ago

Jace's Braces U
Artifact
If a spell or ability would cause you to draw one or more cards, first scry 1.
1,T: Look at that bottom card of your library. You may put that card on top of your library.

IIW: Something so simple it should have been done by now.

BOVINE
Legendary Creature – Ox

Post by BOVINE » 3 years ago

:cool:
Last edited by BOVINE 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
B O V I N E

KoolKoal
For Posterity

Post by KoolKoal » 3 years ago

It's name is Height Knight. It costs a and a . It's just a 2/2.

IIW: Haiku

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 3 years ago

KoolKoal wrote:
3 years ago
Cythare wrote:
3 years ago
This is, of course, possibly unfair to people whose interpretation of the challenge didn't line up with how I intended to judge it, but there were entries that did align with how I envisioned it, so it felt right to award the victory there.
Wait wait wait

Are you saying we shouldn't make completely arbitrary and meaningless judgments based more on our moods and information we never shared than on our actual opinions or the merit of the design?
I originally was going to say that people are entitled to their incorrect opinion on how to interpret others' challenges, but that seemed more inflammatory than was needed.

Anthem, Um, Chrysanthemum GW
Creature — Plant (U)
Defender
Whenever a creature an opponent controls deals damage to Anthem, Um, Chrysanthemum, put a +1/+1 counter on each other creature you control.
0/3

IIW: Book jocks
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 3 years ago

Cythare wrote:
3 years ago
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
3 years ago
Jace, the Body Sculptor
1gur
Legendary Planeswalker - Jace (M)
3gur: Monstrous 3
As long as Jace, the Body Sculptor is monstrous, he has hexproof and trample.
+1: Put a +1/+1 counter on Jace. Until end of turn, he becomes a 3/3 Human creature that's still a planeswalker. Prevent all damage that would be dealt to him this turn.
-2: Discard a card. Draw two cards.
Loyalty: 4
"What really bothers me is the fact my abs are asymmetrical."
I'm not clear what magic this Jace fellow is using to make himself indestructible, but that's not the muscle nerd way. You earn your muscles, so you USE your muscles. (I'm not sure how I feel about freely mixing counters on him, but the bigger issue is damage prevention in the context of a RUG walker - that feels distinctly white/Gideon, and I'd probably instead mirror Sarkhan so that you avoid loyalty counter loss but still actually care about damage).
I meant for the 0 ability to represent physical activity/working out, and the Monstrous ability to represent the final result (being extra ripped and jacked). I guess it would have been better if I had put it at the bottom, like Elspeth and Escape.

As for the damage prevention thing, it's really the only way for a planeswalker to enter the red zone as a creature. Sarkhan does fix this, but I always felt it strange that he stops being a planeswalker, but can I accept that in dragon form he probably can't do most of his planeswalking things.

Gideon (and Jace here) don't "transform" into humans; them becoming creatures is just symbolic of them entering the fray directly and in person, and so retain their planeswalker status.

Here, the damage prevention is mostly just to facilitate good play, like haste on a blue suspend/unearth creature.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

TacticalCelebrant

Post by TacticalCelebrant » 3 years ago

Glimmer Swimmer UW
Creature - Illusion Fish (U)
T: Exile Glimmer Swimmer. Return it to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.
0/1

IIW: Create a new kind of token
Last edited by TacticalCelebrant 3 years ago, edited 4 times in total.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Pyre-Dragon Firewagon
4rr
Artifact - Vehicle (R)
Trample
When Pyre-Dragon Firewagon enters the battlefield, create a 4/4 red Dragon creature token with flying and haste.
Crew 4
6/6
"Ironic, I know."- Daretti

Firewagon Pyre-Dragon
4rr
Creature - Dragon (R)
Flying, haste
Whenever Firewagon Pyre-Dragon attacks, you may pay 2rr. If you do, target Vehicle you control becomes a creature, then sacrifice it. Firewagon Pyre-Dragon gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the sacrificed creature's power.
4/4
"Uh-oh."- Daretti

(Basically, the Ravnican/Kaladesh version of a fire truck, except it's pulled by a dragon like a carriage.)

IIW: Nepenthes Pitcher-Plant

Mergatroid_Jones

Shadrack the Black Cat of the Rat Pack 2B
Legendary Creature- Cat Rat(R)
Shadrack, the Black Cat of the Rat Pack can't attack unless you tap a black Cat or artifact.
If Shadrack, the Black Cat of the Rat Pack is tapped, you may cast artifacts as though they had flash.
5/3

IIW: Best friends

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

Cythare wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Learned Alchemist/Hulking Psychopath is a reference to Jekyll/Hyde. The names should have made that blatantly obvious. >.<

Don't people read the classics anymore?
I understood the reference, but he isn't trying to learn how to become stronger, and isn't studying anything about it. You aren't a "muscle nerd" just because you develop a serum that inadvertently turns you into a hulking beast.

Oh, If it wasn't clear, it wasn't a complaint about the judgment result, It just didn't appear clear from it if you understood the reference. :grin:

Now, what was the new challenge again? Give me a moment, I also really need to see the new episode of Wandavision.

Edit: Why complicate things.

Zero to Hero RGW
Sorcery
Multikicker 2
Chose target creature with power 1 or less you control. Put a first strike counter, trample counter, vigilance counter, and indestructible counter on that creature.
Then for each time Zero to Hero was kicked, put a +1/+1 counter on that creature.

Edit: A thought just hit me, it friggin' hurts.

Regal Eagle 1W
Creature - Bird Noble (R)
Flying, battlecry
"At least it wasn't a legal beagle"
2/2

IIW: Superheroes and Supervillains.
Last edited by Krishnath 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Ore Bore Shore Boar
3r
Artifact Creature - Boar (U)
Menace
3/1

Slow Snow Crow
1u
Snow Creature - Bird (U)
Flying
Slow Snow Crow enters the battlefield tapped.
2/2

Campfire Vampire
1rb
Creature - Vampire Scout (U)
When Campfire Vampire enters the battlefield, it deals 2 damage to any target. That player or controller of that permanent discards a card, then draws a card.
2/1
"Gather round now."

Forest-Fire Florist-Friar Fortress-Fryer
rg
Creature - Elemental (U)
Trample, haste, prowess
2/1

Nicol Bolas, Fickle Soul-Loss
4ubr
Legendary Creature - Elder Dragon (M)
Flying
When Nicol Bolas, Fickle Soul-Loss enters the battlefield, each player discards their hand, then draws that many cards and loses that much life.
7/1
"I-I seem to remember...a name...someone...close to me...important...Ugin?"

Note: Nicol Bolas is pronounced like Nickel Bow-Loss every time Wizards employees refer to him.

Last edited by Sporegorger_Dragon 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

3 years ago
RG
Creature - Elemental (U)
Trample, haste, prowess
2/1
I am sad this is neither a cleric, a monk, nor a druid.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
3 years ago
RG
Creature - Elemental (U)
Trample, haste, prowess
2/1
My intention was that this elemental sets flower-arranging monks on fire (in addition to forests and fortresses), but your interpretation is equally valid and possibly even funnier.

However, for the sake of the contest, I must leave it as is.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
3 years ago
RG
Creature - Elemental (U)
Trample, haste, prowess
2/1
My intention was that this elemental sets flower-arranging monks on fire (in addition to forests and fortresses), but your interpretation is equally valid and possibly even funnier.

However, for the sake of the contest, I must leave it as is.
That is part of the beauty of words and language, it can be interpreted in multiple ways. :)

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 years ago

Seventeen entries - what a fill!
Some are fresh, others worn --
I'll read 'em, but not judge until
(earliest) Saturday morn.

C'mon, it's not like I suggested this criteria *on purpose*...!

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 3 years ago

Strongarm Gendarme 2{R/W}{R/W}
(A grumpy-looking elemental sitting down on a mountain pass with its arms and legs crossed.)
Creature — Elemental (U)
Defender
Whenever a creature deals damage to Strongarm Gendarme, Strongarm Gendarme deals that much damage to that creature.
2, T: Strongarm Gendarme gains indestructible until end of turn.
"I said I ain't movin'."
0/4

IIW: Bears, beavers, and badgers, oh my!
Last edited by spacemonaut 3 years ago, edited 6 times in total.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 3 years ago

Balrog, Infernal of Gitrog 2BG
Legendary Creature - Frog Demon (M)
Deathtouch
At the beginning of your upkeep, each player discards a card, if they can't, they sacrifice a land.
Whenever you discard a land card, put it into play instead of the graveyard.
The Gitrog Monster was bad enough, but now there is a demon that claims to be his diciple in the swamps.
5/5

IIW: Cephalids Reimagined
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 3 years ago

3 years ago
I meant for the 0 ability to represent physical activity/working out, and the Monstrous ability to represent the final result (being extra ripped and jacked). I guess it would have been better if I had put it at the bottom, like Elspeth and Escape.

As for the damage prevention thing, it's really the only way for a planeswalker to enter the red zone as a creature. Sarkhan does fix this, but I always felt it strange that he stops being a planeswalker, but can I accept that in dragon form he probably can't do most of his planeswalking things.

Gideon (and Jace here) don't "transform" into humans; them becoming creatures is just symbolic of them entering the fray directly and in person, and so retain their planeswalker status.

Here, the damage prevention is mostly just to facilitate good play, like haste on a blue suspend/unearth creature.
When you say "0 ability", I assume you're referring to the +1? And damage prevention really isn't the only way, as noted by Sarkhan. I get that it sort of messes with the flavor, as you note, but damage prevention on a permanent that has hexproof and trample doesn't strike me as "good gameplay". Gideon can be chump-blocked and interacted with both at sorcery speed like Dreadbore and instant-speed in combat like Seal Away. This card has trample, so you can't chump-block it, and between hexproof and damage prevention, there's no way to interact with it other than mass-removal or a Skullcrack during combat (other than, clearly, attacking it on your own turn). If it only had hexproof when it was a creature, then it would probably be fine, since you could still interact with him via spells outside of combat. I just feel this has too much baked into it, even for a 3-color card.

My suggestion about altering it to not have damage prevented was a suggestion for how to tweak it to not be too hard to interact with.
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Sporegorger_Dragon

Cythare wrote:
3 years ago
3 years ago

When you say "0 ability", I assume you're referring to the +1? And damage prevention really isn't the only way, as noted by Sarkhan. I get that it sort of messes with the flavor, as you note, but damage prevention on a permanent that has hexproof and trample doesn't strike me as "good gameplay". Gideon can be chump-blocked and interacted with both at sorcery speed like Dreadbore and instant-speed in combat like Seal Away. This card has trample, so you can't chump-block it, and between hexproof and damage prevention, there's no way to interact with it other than mass-removal or a Skullcrack during combat (other than, clearly, attacking it on your own turn). If it only had hexproof when it was a creature, then it would probably be fine, since you could still interact with him via spells outside of combat. I just feel this has too much baked into it, even for a 3-color card.

My suggestion about altering it to not have damage prevented was a suggestion for how to tweak it to not be too hard to interact with.
Yes, the +1 ability. My own card and I can't keep it straight.

Ah, now I see, I guess the easiest thing is to just take off hexproof, or change it to something less disruptive, protection from artifacts or from creatures with flying or something.

EDIT: Someone please help me

Odorhide Overdrive Older-Guy Ogre-Spy
3rr
Creature - Ogre Rogue (C)
Whenever Odorhide Overdrive Older-Guy Ogre-Spy attacks, reveal your hand.
7/4

EDIT 2:
WAIT, here's a better one:

River Wither Shiver Giver Slither Liver Quiver Sliver
wubrg
Creature - Sliver (R)
All Slivers you control are snow, can't have -1/-1 counters put on them, and have wither, hexproof from enchantments, protection from artifacts, prowess, and afterlife 1.
6/6

EDIT 3:
Last one (I hope)

Pillager Villager
2r
Creature - Human Peasant (C)
Haste
When Pillager Villager dies, you may discard a card. If you do, draw a card.
3/1

Last edited by Sporegorger_Dragon 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Mergatroid_Jones

Seek the Meek W
Sorcery
Search your library for a creature with converted mana cost 1 or less. Reveal that card, then shuffle your library and put that card on top if it.
"They speak like "meek" means weak. A bleak critique. The meek we seek are quite unique." - Deeker DiBeek, the Seeker of Meek

IIW: Blue aggro

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 3 years ago

Meter Cheater Beater 2R
Creature - Human Advisor (R)
Prowess
Whenever a player casts a spell, if they've cast another spell with different converted mana cost this turn, Meter Cheater Beater deals 3 damage to them.
"That's not a poem!", he cried out in woe.
"You need more than rhyming, you need pace and flow!"

2/2

IIW: Fireworks

Mergatroid_Jones

Beaches of Leeches
Land (U)
T: Add C.
1,T: Add U or B.
2,T: Target creature gets -1/-0 until end of turn.

Sludge-Grime Bloodshrine
Land (U)
1,T: Add R or B.
3,T, Sacrifice a creature: Sludge-Grime Bloodeshrine deals 2 damage to target planeswalker.

Grubby Pub
Land
1,T: Add G or R.
4,T: All creatures gain trample and haste until end of turn.

Forum of Decorum
Land (U)
1,T: Add U or W.
7,T: Draw a card. This ability costs 1 less for each creature that attacked you this turn.

Towers of Flowers
Land (U)
1,T: Add G or W.
5,T: Create a 0/1 green plant creature token. Gain 1 life for each Plant you control.

IIW: Lions, Masticores, and Manticores
Last edited by Mergatroid_Jones 3 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Last one I promise, I just need to get this out of my system:

Blizzard Lizard Wizard
2ur
Snow Creature - Elemental Lizard Wizard
Flash
When Blizzard Lizard Wizard enters the battlefield, counter target nonsnow noncreature spell.
2/4
"For the last time, I'M NOT A VIASHINO!"

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 3 years ago

Nightmare Legionnaire 3B
Creature — Nightmare Knight {C}
Whenever this creature attacks,
This ability goes on the stack:
Until end of turn,
Any blockers this spurns,
Except if the blocker is black.
3/3

IIW: Biblical / Literature references (please let me know what you're referencing lol)
MEG

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 years ago

Well, I'm flattered by all the responses. some good cards, some good rhymes, and even a little poetry. ;)
Critiques
Show
Hide
Ulka wrote:
3 years ago
Dragon Wagon 3RR
Artifact - Vehicle
Trample
R: Dragon Wagon gets +1/+0 until end of turn if it is a creature.
Whenever Dragon Wagon attacks, if you control a tapped Dwarf, create two gold tokens.
Crew 3
2 inches of Armor, a dragonfire flametosser, this thing is a marvel of Dwarven ingenuity - Reyav
4/4

This is okay. Firebreathing is a great fit for Dragons, and with the trample ability suggests a player go all-in, tapping all their creatures to crew it and all their lands to buff it. The gold tokens might melt in its mouth immediately, or be saved up for a great salvo to end the game. Dragon-Dwarf synergies are a little odd, but that just might be Tolkien's influence.
Togs wrote:
3 years ago
Frog Atog 1G
Creature - Frog Atog
Sacrifice a Frog: Frog Atog gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
1/2

IIW Frog
Classic! And if it can't eat frogs, changelings taste just as good. But even between these two food sources I would worry about it running out of gas, especially when competing with other 'Togs.
3 years ago
Cesspool Ghoul BB
Creature — Zombie (U)
Intimidate
Whenever a creature dies, if it had counters on it, you may put those counters on Cesspool Ghoul.
The tainted wastes of Ravnica once brought back a man. Sometimes, you can smell his fetid breath exuding from the city's dismal paving.
2/2

IIW: Weird artifacts
Nice, clean lines. Dragon Wagon seemed a little too complicated, Frog Atog almost too simple; this hits a nice balance - as opposed to the name, which is a fine example of slant rhyme. Black didn't always get 2/2s for 2, but the past year or so have really pushed creature stats. The triggered ability is rather devious; in most environments, counters are mostly upsides -- +1/+1 or ability counters -- but sometimes you'll absorb something that has no effect (like charge counters) or could even be a detriment, like -1/-1 counters.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
3 years ago
Jace's Braces U
Artifact
If a spell or ability would cause you to draw one or more cards, first scry 1.
1,T: Look at that bottom card of your library. You may put that card on top of your library.

IIW: Something so simple it should have been done by now.
This one hits a lot of personal peeves with me -- colored artifacts, overuse of Jace, "bottom of the library" effects, no flavor text, or rarity symbol...

... well, okay, on the last two. I'm not big on putting flavor text on cards submitted for a lot of the daily contests. I'm *huge* on providing flavor text for the cards in imaginary sets I've created, because it offers a lot more insight into the world than card names. It's almost compulsory there. But quick, one-off cards, that don't necessarily relate to each other? Not unless it's really compelling.

Similarly -- and I realize this might be a little controversial -- I'm not big on attributing rarities to one-off cards. They exist in their own special place. There's no chance to pull them from a booster or a starter deck; it'd be like having rarities in a Secret Lair or other premium product. In a full set design, of course, you'd be able to push or pull a card from one rarity to another, depending on the needs of the set, strengths of each color or player archetype, support for themes, and so on.

Also, I think there's a general tendency on the boards (not just this forum; all of 'em) to skew toward the clever rare, as opposed to the ordinary-but-necessary common, in both card submittals and card judging.

Okay, off my soapbox, and back to the cards.
BOVINE wrote:
3 years ago
Orange Sporange 2G
Creature - Plant
This card isn't white, blue, black, red, green, or colorless.
Defender, reach
Whenever Orange Sporange is dealt damage, you gain that much life.
0/4

IIW: convey your favorite movie or book. Use different names than the source material. We'll guess
The super-devoid ability is cool. It's kind of like the card series that gets you to creating permanents that have no permanent type -- kudos to anyone who can remind me of that sequence (it was Mirrodin era, that's all I recall). I would definitely add "It's orange!)" as flavor text after the ability. All this being said, cool ability, but how functional is it? I hate being overly pragmatic with cards, although I'm fairly utilitarian in real life, but at some point it becomes trinket text.

The life gain ability is pretty rich. Players have great control over whether or not they attack, but less control over whether they're blocked, or what happens when they're blocked, so this puts up a great big "Don't attack plz!" sign.
KoolKoal wrote:
3 years ago
It's name is Height Knight. It costs a and a . It's just a 2/2.

IIW: Haiku
A little too little effort. I imagine this card in an Un-set, where the entire card is just text. (I'd think about making it something more than a vanilla 2/2, to make the effort worth the pay off). It'd be like an anti-full-art card; a full text card! And I bet you could squeeze fourteen lines onto an MTG card, in a reasonable font size, which would let you write an entire sonnet. And sonnets are the very height of romanticalism.

(Super-kudos for posting in the form of a haiku, though traditionally those don't need to rhyme.)
Cythare wrote:
3 years ago
Anthem, Um, Chrysanthemum GW
Creature — Plant (U)
Defender
Whenever a creature an opponent controls deals damage to Anthem, Um, Chrysanthemum, put a +1/+1 counter on each other creature you control.
0/3

IIW: Book jocks
Pretty similar to Orange Sporange ... are these maybe pod people plants? Did those plants ever have a type, or even a genus and species?

Since we're calling it an Anthem (um), it really should be a more anthem-like effect -- "As long as ~this~ has been dealt damage by a creature controlled by an opponent, creatures you control get +1/+1." Or, put an anthem counter on it every time it's damaged, and creatures get +1/+1 for each anthem counter...

... which makes me want to make some sort of anther / anthem wordplay.
TacticalCelebrant wrote:
3 years ago
Glimmer Swimmer UW
Creature - Illusion Fish (U)
T: Exile Glimmer Swimmer. Return it to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.
0/1

IIW: Create a new kind of token
Nice and simple. Should it be an Illusion Fish, or Fish Illusion? Illusionary Informant and Illusory Ambusher have a different ordering than Phantom Beast or Spire Phantasm. Mistform Ultimus, throws it all up in the air. I think I prefer Fish Illusion, however -- although just Illusion would suffice.

Similarly, I think I'd make the activated ability cost just {W/U}, rather than . Fish are really slippery, even when you think you've caught them.

This ties back to that utility thing. A 2-cmc 0/1 is about as negligible as you get (other than a 3 cmc 0/1!) So there are very few reasons to put this into a deck -- the only thing that comes to mind is that it makes a very useful chump blocker. Requiring it to tap makes it much, much less useful; like, you're exposing yourself to at least one attack, even after you cast it. Maybe it combos with something else with an ETB trigger, but there are better combo pieces for that.
3 years ago
Pyre-Dragon Firewagon
4rr
Artifact - Vehicle (R)
Trample
When Pyre-Dragon Firewagon enters the battlefield, create a 4/4 red Dragon creature token with flying and haste.
Crew 4
6/6
"Ironic, I know."- Daretti

Oich. This becomes 10 power for 6 mana -- or, at a minimum, crews itself the turn it enters play. A little overpowered.

Firewagon Pyre-Dragon
4rr
Creature - Dragon (R)
Flying, haste
Whenever Firewagon Pyre-Dragon attacks, you may pay 2rr. If you do, target Vehicle you control becomes a creature, then sacrifice it. Firewagon Pyre-Dragon gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the sacrificed creature's power.
4/4
"Uh-oh."- Daretti

This is ... better?

(Basically, the Ravnican/Kaladesh version of a fire truck, except it's pulled by a dragon like a carriage.)

I like and fully endorse this concept. Dragons have historically been construed as a means of criticizing economic systems -- the accumulation and consolidation of wealth in feudal times -- but I could get behind seeing them as emblems of competing civic interests in a fictional municipal setting. Would these be red dragons, breathing out fumes that set rat-trap housing on fire (which fire departments of the 1800s were accused of), or ice-dragons that would assist in putting out conflagrations? Or would the dragons be so muzzled that they could only look at the flames and dream, and remember?

Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
3 years ago
Shadrack the Black Cat of the Rat Pack 2B
Legendary Creature- Cat Rat(R)
Shadrack, the Black Cat of the Rat Pack can't attack unless you tap a black Cat or artifact.
If Shadrack, the Black Cat of the Rat Pack is tapped, you may cast artifacts as though they had flash.
5/3

IIW: Best friends
Two slight crits. Since you can't avoid using the words "legendary" or "creature" you've got to work them into the rhyme scheme somehow. (Without going all Barney waitforit Stinson.) Similarly, you should use "as long as" instead of "if".

Otherwise, you've got some really great assonance, and the rhythm hits a kind of hip-hop flow.
3 years ago
Ore Bore Shore Boar
3r
Artifact Creature - Boar (U)
Menace
3/1

Slow Snow Crow
1u
Snow Creature - Bird (U)
Flying
Slow Snow Crow enters the battlefield tapped.
2/2

Campfire Vampire
1rb
Creature - Vampire Scout (U)
When Campfire Vampire enters the battlefield, it deals 2 damage to any target. That player or controller of that permanent discards a card, then draws a card.
2/1
"Gather round now."

rg
Creature - Elemental (U)
Trample, haste, prowess
2/1

Nicol Bolas, Fickle Soul-Loss
4ubr
Legendary Creature - Elder Dragon (M)
Flying
When Nicol Bolas, Fickle Soul-Loss enters the battlefield, each player discards their hand, then draws that many cards and loses that much life.
7/1
"I-I seem to remember...a name...someone...close to me...important...Ugin?"

Note: Nicol Bolas is pronounced like Nickel Bow-Loss every time Wizards employees refer to him.

I'm going to treat these as a series. Three-or-four rhyming words, from which to try and stitch a theme, Campfire Vampire is good, and bonus points for the feminine rhyme. (It may seem odd, in 2020, for them to still be called feminine rhymes; the term comes from the Italian; oh, I could go on a really long screed about gendered European languages, but I'll demur.)

The Forest-Fire -- forget it; I'll just call the FFFFFF -- is just being silly. And I would be careful about making any submittal that gets last place in a hexidecimal contest.

Nicol Bolas' last name is pronounced "bow-liss" -- I have it on word from the tyrant himself. How did he wind up with 1 toughness?
spacemonaut wrote:
3 years ago
Strongarm Gendarme 2{R/W}{R/W}
(A grumpy-looking elemental sitting down on a mountain pass with its arms and legs crossed.)
Creature — Elemental (U)
Defender
Whenever a creature deals damage to Strongarm Gendarme, Strongarm Gendarme deals that much damage to that creature.
2, T: Strongarm Gendarme gains indestructible until end of turn.
"I said I ain't movin'."
0/4

IIW: Bears, beavers, and badgers, oh my!
Cute, and I appreciate the odder rhyme words. But it's difficult to escape the urban implications of both "Strongarm" and "Gendarme" -- I was expecting a Boros lieutenant.
Ulka wrote:
3 years ago
Balrog, Infernal of Gitrog 2BG
Legendary Creature - Frog Demon (M)
Deathtouch
At the beginning of your upkeep, each player discards a card, if they can't, they sacrifice a land.
Whenever you discard a land card, put it into play instead of the graveyard.
The Gitrog Monster was bad enough, but now there is a demon that claims to be his diciple in the swamps.
5/5

Hey! Someone to sac to the Frogatog!
3 years ago
Odorhide Overdrive Older-Guy Ogre-Spy
3rr
Creature - Ogre Rogue (C)
Whenever Odorhide Overdrive Older-Guy Ogre-Spy attacks, reveal your hand.
7/4

River Wither Shiver Giver Slither Liver Quiver Sliver
wubrg
Creature - Sliver (R)
All Slivers you control are snow, can't have -1/-1 counters put on them, and have wither, hexproof from enchantments, protection from artifacts, prowess, and afterlife 1.
6/6

Pillager Villager
2r
Creature - Human Peasant (C)
Haste
When Pillager Villager dies, you may discard a card. If you do, draw a card.
3/1

"BETTER" is obviously very subjective. (I kid!) The ogre was a bit over-worked, in terms of the rhyme, and the drawback of revealing your hand is slight, given you'll likely crush your opponent in two turns. The sliver would've been better if the rhyme-words lined up with the abilities (or vice-versa, of course). "Village Pillager" scans better, and suggests some sort of Innistrad turncoat.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
3 years ago
Seek the Meek W
Sorcery
Search your library for a creature with converted mana cost 1 or less. Reveal that card, then shuffle your library and put that card on top if it.
"They speak like "meek" means weak. A bleak critique. The meek we seek are quite unique." - Deeker DiBeek, the Seeker of Meek

IIW: Blue aggro
I like this! It scans well and seems balanced. The flavor text might seem like a bit much, but is actually appropriate given the toolbox nature of the card.
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
3 years ago
Meter Cheater Beater 2R
Creature - Human Advisor (R)
Prowess
Whenever a player casts a spell, if they've cast another spell with different converted mana cost this turn, Meter Cheater Beater deals 3 damage to them.
"That's not a poem!", he cried out in woe.
"You need more than rhyming, you need pace and flow!"

2/2

IIW: Fireworks
I love everything about this except the name. It's a little too compact. The ability is a little trinket-y, in that it's rather difficult to stack multiple spells with the same CMC in your hand; which also works against it having prowess.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
3 years ago
Beaches of Leeches
Land (U)
1,T: Add U or B.
2,T: Target creature gets -1/-0 until end of turn.

Sludge-Grime Bloodshrine
Land (U)
1,T: Add R or B.
3,T, Sacrifice a creature: Sludge-Grime Bloodeshrine deals 2 damage to target planeswalker.

Grubby Pub
Land
1,T: Add G or R.
4,T: All creatures gain trample and haste until end of turn.

Forum of Decorum
Land (U)
1,T: Add U or W.
7,T: Draw a card. This ability costs 1 less for each creature that attacked you this turn.

Towers of Flowers
Land (U)
1,T: Add G or W.
5,T: Create a 0/1 green plant creature token. Gain 1 life for each Plant you control.

IIW: Lions, Masticores, and Manticores
Nice cycle! Forum of Decorum is probably the best of these. The draw-a-card ability could probably cost just 5, and still have the cost-reduction ability attached.
3 years ago
Blizzard Lizard Wizard
2ur
Snow Creature - Elemental Lizard Wizard
Flash
When Blizzard Lizard Wizard enters the battlefield, counter target nonsnow noncreature spell.
2/4
"For the last time, I'M NOT A VIASHINO!"

I like it! Every part of it works nicely. I think it's "non-snow" with a hyphen, and "non-creature" with a hyphen, too. I remember days when Mystic Snake was the big big thing, and this guy occupies a similar spot.
Top Three
Show
Hide
Tactical Celebrant's Glimmer Swimmer
Mergatroid Jones' Seek the Meek
NinjaCaterPie's Meter Cheater Beater
Winner
Show
Hide
NinjaCaterPie's Meter Cheater Beater.

Which means next up is Fireworks. Make 'em bright and colorful!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”