NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

chetoos - Neat! Elspeth should definitely come to Eldraine next time and this feels a lot like her. Not something that breaks tremendous new ground but a good planeswalker.

TacticalCelebrant - Cute rendition of the Elves and the Shoemaker. I'm not sure the base card is especially blue? More of a white or red thing. Plus two types of artifact tokens could get confusing.

TheRavenManIsSquee - Nothing super Eldraine about this, just a pushed removal card. Also not sure what it has to do with Embereth specifically in the flavor?

haywire - I appreciate actually using a new mechanic, but I'm not sure what storybook even means is it "humanfall" or is it just something that counts page counters? This card also has too many :words: imho.

PanchoPonceN - Something makes me dislike keyword counters outside of Ikoria at this point and this card is rather narrow, plus "Le Morte d'Kenrith" is WAY too on the nose; Magic-izations of real myths are supposed to put a new spin on them.

HM: TacticalCelebrant
Winner: @chetoos
Next: Big green idiots
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

TacticalCelebrant
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by TacticalCelebrant » 3 years ago

Territorial Greatwurm 4ggg
Creature - Wurm
Trample
Whenever an opponent draws a card, put a +1/+1 counter on Territorial Greatwurm.
Whenever an opponent casts a spell, double Territorial Greatwurm's power and toughness until end of turn.
Whenever a land enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, Territorial Greatwurm fights target creature an opponent controls.
5/5

IIW: An instant or sorcery that can make one or more tokens

haywire

Post by haywire » 3 years ago

Towering Timber1ggg
Creature- Treefolk Giant
Each player may play an additional land per turn.
Whenever a land enters the battlefield, that land's controller creates a 1/1 green Saproling creature token.
Creatures your opponents control with power or toughness 1 or less have protection from Towering Timber.
"What? What's attacking me? Reveal yourself!"
11/11

Iiw: creature that transforms into noncreature or vice versa
Last edited by haywire 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 3 years ago

Rogdan the Mighty 2GGG
Legendary Creature - Troll (M)
Trample
Prevent all damage that would be dealt to Rogdan the Mighty by creatures with abilities.
"Damn thing's too dumb to die." - Jondiana Ines, bounty hunter
7/6

IIW: Dragons

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 3 years ago

Judging tomorrow morning, looking forward to seeing more green beef here.

chetoos

A little sad I didn't get more entries, but I'll judge now. Wanted to give more time for more entries, but they didn't show up.

tacticalcelebrant -- This entry is probably closest to my intention with this challenge, just a big green dork that you ramp into and destroy opponents with. It also works great as a punisher mechanic for green, causing issues if your opponent does things. Do you want to counter this questing beast? Cool, now my big ass wurm is bigger. Still, I would feel better if you could control its growth somehow, as well as maybe toning down the card draw trigger, maybe it doesn't trigger on their first drawstep card. Cool design.

haywire -- This one is playing into the idiot part of my prompt more, but in a good way, giving blockers. It provides slight ramp for both sides, even allowing you to build your deck around it, as well as really begging for trample. I like the design.

NinjaCaterpie -- I like this design too, though the p/t with trample may be too good at 5 mana with no downsides. Maybe add in a clause where it has to attack or something? I don't know, but I liked you including flavor text to reference the stupidity too, more playing up the idiot part of the prompt.

I think that the timber is the best balanced card, and the one that allows you to build the most into it, while the other two are good, but one feels too good, while the other doesn't offer meaningful decisions, just kinda "it's big now".

Winner: @haywire!

Next: creature that transforms into noncreature or vice versa

haywire

Expanding challenge to anything involving both a noncreature and a creature permanent, since people seem less than excited about this one. Can destroy one of each, be one that makes a token of the other, anything

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 3 years ago

This would be made for a set heavy on artifacts, or at least treasure like on Ixalan.

Fickle Hellkite 3RR
Creature — Dragon
When you cast Fickle Hellkite from your hand, create three Treasure tokens.
Flying, haste
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, if that player controls the most artifacts or is tied for the most, that player gains control of Fickle Hellkite and untaps it.
Fickle Hellkite can't attack unless you sacrifice an artifact.
4/4

IIW: Overload on permanents
Last edited by spacemonaut 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

chetoos

I was waiting for at least one entry before mine, I did want to do something here.

Since it feels a little cheap to do a flip walker, I'm gonna try something else.

Growing Unease 2BB
Art depicts a pair of humans walking through a house, a tree casting a shadow of a great fanged creature on the inner wall.
Enchantment (R)
Creatures you don't control get -2/-0
At the beginning of each end step create a 2/2 black zombie creature token if a creature or planeswalker died this turn.. Then, if at least 3 creatures and/or planeswalkers died this turn, transform growing unease.
At first, nothing more than a sense of creeping dread...
//
Unseen Horror (Color indicator=black)
Art depicts the two people from before, but now the creature from the shadow is very real, standing over them
Creature - Horror
Trample
At the beginning of each end step create a 2/2 black zombie creature token if a creature or planeswalker died this turn.
Whenever a source deals damage to this creature, that source's controller sacrifices a creature or planeswalker.
At the beginning of each player's end step, that player may sacrifice a creature. When they do, transform this creature.
Until you realize the terror is right behind you.
7/7
another cool design I wanted to post. You don't have to judge unless you want to.
Show
Hide
here there be witches 3BB
Art depicts a coven site, a cauldron empty, some instruments around for casting curses.
Enchantment (R)
Curses cast that target your opponents cost 2 less to cast.
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player loses life equal to the number of curses attached to them.
4BBB: Transform Here there be witches. This ability costs 1 less for each curse attached to your opponents.

//
Nephalia Coven (Color indicator: Black)
Art depicts the same area of forest, but now the area is bustling with many witches.
Creature - Human Warlock
If a curse attached to an opponent would trigger, it triggers an additional time.
Sacrifice a curse: Search your library for a curse card and put it on the battlefield.
4/7
IIW: Make a new planeswalker card for a planeswalker that has only had 1 or 2 cards.
Last edited by chetoos 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

TacticalCelebrant

Altar of The Sunken Trove 3UB
Legendary Artifact (R)
At the beginning of your end step, create a Treasure token.
Sacrifice a nontoken creature: Treasure tokens you control become artifact creatures with base power and toughness 4/4 until end of turn.

I like this challenge, and I wish I had more time to come up with something that uses the transform mechanic. But alas, I am busy.

IIW: -1/-1 counters.

haywire

spacemonaut
Show
Hide
this is a nice red fattie that does well if you can keep control, and the fact that it gives itself three artifscts to sac is nice. I do think it could be stronger given the downsides and build-around nature, maybe with something like first strike, a bit more aggressive p/t, or a forced sac+attack to be usable as a way to get rid of an opponent's annoying artifacts.
chetoos
Show
Hide
this does suit my original vision for the challenge, with an enchantment transforming into a creature. I like the art narration, but thr card feels a bit off on flavor to me. Making a zombie every turn on the front side feels like a bit more than just "nothing but a sense of creeping dread", and the -2/-0 feels more blue than black. The backside is a nice black beater, but I feel as though it's rarely ever going to stick around to attack, and it doesn't really have any relevant abilities that differ from the front.
TacticalCelebrant
Show
Hide
I like the simplicity in this card, and it fits right at home in UB control or midrange, slowly building up resources that you can turn into a powerful wincon while leaving your mana up.
Winner:TacticalCelebrant
Next: -1/-1 counters

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 3 years ago

Djinn of Stolen Dreams 2U
Creature - Djinn {R}
Flying
Whenever you would draw a card, instead put a -1/-1 counter on Djinn of Stolen Dreams
When Djinn of Stolen Dreams dies, draw a card for each -1/-1 counter on it.
3/4

IIW: Transforming Heroes
MEG

mellifluoresce
the winner is tibalt

Post by mellifluoresce » 3 years ago

Parchmeplasm 1UU
Creature - Elemental Ooze (U)
When Parcheplasm enters the battlefield, choose an instant or sorcery card in your graveyard with converted mana cost equal to or less than Parchmeplasm's power. You may cast that card this turn.
Persist
2/2

IIW: Mythic rare creatures with no keyword abilities
Club Flamingo Alumnus

Disappointing Signet + co-founder

talk to me about the Black Market format! Now ready for your Hogaaks
SPOILER
Show
Hide
mirrorentity wrote: Judging.
Ogre of the Gray Ogre: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogre of the Pit: No IIW. Disqualified.
Toll Troll: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
My Hair Caught Fire!: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
Ogre Under: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogrenacle at Pendrell Vale: Overcosted.
Ogreforge Mystic: Judge. Disqualified.

Winner: Gerrard's Mom becomes a Tier I spammer!

Next spamellenge: Make the Ogre philosopher Gnerdel.

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

chetoos

Nearly Departed 3BB
Creature - Zombie (R)
Wither, other zombies you control have wither and must be blocked if able.
Whenever a creature with a -1/-1 counter on it dies, you draw a card and lose 1 life.
2b: Exile target creature card from a graveyard, create a 2/2 black zombie creature token.
4/4

IIW: Make a new planeswalker card for a planeswalker that has only had 1 or 2 cards.

Stapler
is a liar

Post by Stapler » 3 years ago

Neg B
Instant (C)
Target creature gains indestructible until end of turn. Put a -1/-1 counter on it. (Damage and effects that say "destroy" don't destroy it. If its toughness is 0 or less, it's still put into its owner's graveyard.)
"I think it's great that you don't care what people think of you."

IIW: Magus Planeswalkers
"Image"

mellifluoresce
the winner is tibalt

Post by mellifluoresce » 3 years ago

where's the rest of my boomer flamingoes at
Club Flamingo Alumnus

Disappointing Signet + co-founder

talk to me about the Black Market format! Now ready for your Hogaaks
SPOILER
Show
Hide
mirrorentity wrote: Judging.
Ogre of the Gray Ogre: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogre of the Pit: No IIW. Disqualified.
Toll Troll: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
My Hair Caught Fire!: Not an Ogre. Disqualified.
Ogre Under: No IIW. Disqualified.
Ogrenacle at Pendrell Vale: Overcosted.
Ogreforge Mystic: Judge. Disqualified.

Winner: Gerrard's Mom becomes a Tier I spammer!

Next spamellenge: Make the Ogre philosopher Gnerdel.

Next spamellenge:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 3 years ago

Who's a boomer?

(it's me)
MEG

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

You're more of a coomer

Chief
Of
Only
Megiddo's
Eager
Representatives
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Phyrexian Editor

Post by Phyrexian Editor » 3 years ago

Tire Damage 1b
Instant {U}
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield this turn, put a -1/-1 counter on it.
Wrong way.

IIW: More cards based on street signs

haywire

Blackblood Butcher 3bb
Creature- Horror
Whenever Blackblood Butcher is dealt combat damage, put that many -1/-1 counters on target creature an opponent controls.
Whenever Blackblood Butcher deals combat damage to a player, destroy up to one target creature with a -1/-1 counter on it.
3/5

Iiw: better in multiples

TacticalCelebrant

Looks like I'd better start judging.
Probably gonna take a bunch of hours.

TacticalCelebrant

Gonna try writing some two sentence stories. Here we go.

"When I grow up I wanna be a cow!"
The dream thief muttered mockingly as it chewed it's cud.
Meggido
Show
Hide
Megiddo wrote:
3 years ago
Djinn of Stolen Dreams 2U
Creature - Djinn {R}
Flying
Whenever you would draw a card, instead put a -1/-1 counter on Djinn of Stolen Dreams
When Djinn of Stolen Dreams dies, draw a card for each -1/-1 counter on it.
3/4

IIW: Transforming Heroes
Reminds me of Dusk Urchins. Man, I always wanted Dusk Urchins to be good, but in practice I never got it to work. Flying helps a lot here. And there's a lot of potential for shenanigans that you can build towards. I could imagine this would be great with something like Black Sun's Zenith.
Such a tragedy that the apprentice couldn't read.
Heedless, plasm oozed across the spell book that could reverse its transformation.
mellifluoresce
Show
Hide
mellifluoresce wrote:
3 years ago
Parchmeplasm 1UU
Creature - Elemental Ooze (U)
When Parcheplasm enters the battlefield, choose an instant or sorcery card in your graveyard with converted mana cost equal to or less than Parchmeplasm's power. You may cast that card this turn.
Persist
2/2

IIW: Mythic rare creatures with no keyword abilities
Ah, Persist. A keyword with a built in -1/-1 counter. So, this is a mini-double-snapcaster? Sure. Probably not a lot of value in limited or standard, but in certain eternal formats players would love to get a couple more Ancestral Recalls. I do really like the creature type.
Bandaging a wound, the surviving body worried they would lose the war of attrition against the zombie horde.
As more of the hive-mind became infected, the more mindless the collective became.
chetoos
Show
Hide
chetoos wrote:
3 years ago
Nearly Departed 3BB
Creature - Zombie (R)
Wither, other zombies you control have wither and must be blocked if able.
Whenever a creature with a -1/-1 counter on it dies, you draw a card and lose 1 life.
2b: Exile target creature card from a graveyard, create a 2/2 black zombie creature token.
4/4

Wither now too. Yes, another good keyword for getting some -1/-1 counters on the board. I kinda like how this zombie lord plays. Making it so that your zombies must be blocked would ensure that the wither actually gets applied, rather than ignored when an opponent chooses not to block. And you get payoff whenever one of these blocking creatures dies. Both in drawing a card, and in turning the dead card into another zombie. While Lure effects are most often green, but I can see the justification for it being black here.
"I don't really want to write a story about this one."
Said the judge who had painted themselves into a corner.
Stapler
Show
Hide
Stapler wrote:
3 years ago
Neg B
Instant (C)
Target creature gains indestructible until end of turn. Put a -1/-1 counter on it. (Damage and effects that say "destroy" don't destroy it. If its toughness is 0 or less, it's still put into its owner's graveyard.)
"I think it's great that you don't care what people think of you."

IIW: Magus Planeswalkers
Oof. Much as I dislike the subject matter, this is good top-down design. A temporary fix with a long standing drawback, with the versatility to pick off small dudes. Perfectly reasonable card.
Cash on board, the getaway driver floored it, but the loud popping sound deflated their elation.
They should have conspired with a less forgetful security guard.
Phyrexian Editor
Show
Hide
Phyrexian Editor wrote:
3 years ago
Tire Damage 1b
Instant {U}
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield this turn, put a -1/-1 counter on it.
Wrong way.

IIW: More cards based on street signs
This is also good top down design. It's pretty clear flavor that going in this direction damages you permanently. It's kinda a niche card to help deal with some strategies very well, that's also not just dead in other matchups. I could see something like this printed in a set as an answer to the previous block's theme.
"Stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself"
But they could not, for the butcher was hitting them with their own hands.
haywire
Show
Hide
haywire wrote:
3 years ago
Blackblood Butcher 3bb
Creature- Horror
Whenever Blackblood Butcher is dealt combat damage, put that many -1/-1 counters on target creature an opponent controls.
Whenever Blackblood Butcher deals combat damage to a player, destroy up to one target creature with a -1/-1 counter on it.
3/5

Iiw: better in multiples
I like this. Simple and elegant consequences that make combat more interesting. The order of reading the abilities on the card is satisfying. The second ability makes it so that you would want to block it, while the first ability would punish you for doing so. Being able to shoot a bunch of -1/-1 counters at a creature just from blocking also keeps people from attacking into this. I think it's neat.
Winner: haywire
Next: Better in multiples

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Rathi Plotter 1U
Creature - Kor Advisor (U)
Shadow
2U, Sacrifice Rathi Plotter: Scry 3.
As long as Rathi Plotter is in your graveyard, effects from spells named Accumulated Knowledge you control count it as a card named Accumulated Knowledge.
"Like it or not, Eladamri, the il know things we don't." - Takara
1/1

IIW: Something that feels like it came from Invasion block

PanchoPonceN
Old School Flamingo

Post by PanchoPonceN » 3 years ago

AEtheral Familiar 1{U/R}
Creature - Weird (U)
Buyback, entwine, escalate, kicker, replicate and splice costs of spells you cast cost 1 less.
It doesn't make spells more powerful, but it gives its masters the power to do that themselves.
[1/1]

IIW: Combine your two favorite mechanics.

chetoos

Diregraf Spoiler 1UB
Creature - Zombie (Rare)
Whenever ~ or another zombie enters the battlefield under your control, each opponent loses 1 life.
At the beginning of your end step, if a player lost 4 or more life this turn, scry 2
2/2

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”