January CCL Round 3: Stones and Statues

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 2 years ago

CCL January Top 8/Round 3

"Stones and Statues"

Doomed Artisan, by Wizards of the Coast and Victor Adame Minguez.
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Artisty month here at the CCL. This month we will hopefully see beauty in many forms.

Challenge
Design a Sculpture artifact creature card or a card creating a Scupture token artifact creature.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • The card creating tokens might be a one-shot effect or something that can happen multiple times.
  • Remember to add rarity.
Contestants:

@Subject16
@slimytrout
@Henlock
@Apellosine
@void_nothing
@Pygyzy
@MonoRedMage
@kwanyeegor-ii
Your submissions are due Thursday, January 27th, 12:00 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (January 2nd-10th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (January 10th-18th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due January 24th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (January 24th–27th)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due January 30th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (January 30th–February 3rd)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due February 6th)
  • Final (February, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 2 years ago

Polybian Metamorphoses R
(As this Saga enters and after your draw step, add a lore counter. Sacrifice after III.)
I — At the beginning of your end step, create a colorless Sculpture artifact creature token with "This creature's power and toughness are each equal to the number of Sculptures you control."
II — Sculptures you control can't attack or block.
III — Destroy all Sculptures. Create two Treasure tokens for each Sculpture destroyed this way. Until end of turn, Treasures you control become artifact creatures, gain haste and have "This creature's power and toughness are each equal to the number of Treasures you control."
Enchantment - Saga (R)
Last edited by Pygyzy 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

A bump to all other contestants.

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

Vraska's Gaze 2BG
Instant (R)
Destroy target creature. Create a 0/X colorless Sculpture artifact creature token with defender, where X is that creature's toughness.
"Every death is a work of art in its own way, but only gorgons can create a masterpiece."
Last edited by slimytrout 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

Grotesque Sculpture 1
Artifact Creature - Sculpture (Uncommon)
Grotesque Sculpture has all monstrosity activated abilities of creatures you control.
Abilities that trigger when another creature you control becomes monstrous trigger when Grotesque Sculpture becomes monstrous.
It seems paradoxical, but the one thing all people of Meletis fear and hate is also the thing most in demand in their art.
0/1
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Flowstone Artistry 2R
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a noncreature artifact is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, create a colorless Sculpture artifact creature token with "This creature's power and toughness are each equal to the number of Sculptures you control."
R: Sculptures you control get +1/-1 until end of turn.
2: Sculptures you control gain your choice of flying, first strike, or trample until end of turn.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 2 years ago

Nyxforged Likeness 1RR
Enchantment Artifact Creature — Sculpture (R)
You may have enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield, except it's an enchantment in addition to its other types, and it has trample, haste, and "At the beginning of the end step, sacrifice this permanent."
Purphoros's work always takes on a life of its own.
0/0

Lorn Asbord Schutta

@Apellosine @Henlock @MonoRedMage
Please tell me if you need an extension.

MonoRedMage

Post by MonoRedMage » 2 years ago

No need, I'll just get this in now!

Hellish Garden 3RRR
Enchantment {R}
When Hellish Garden enters the battlefield, create three 3/3 colorless Devil Sculpture artifact creature tokens with first strike, menace, and defender.
Whenever an opponent gains life or draws their third card in a turn, creatures you control can attack that player as though they didn't have defender until the end of your next turn.
RRR, Sacrifice a land: Return Hellish Garden to its owner's hand.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

Posting soon

Lorn Asbord Schutta

@Apellosine @Henlock
I will close the round at 31st January, Monday, 12:00 EST no matter what, since we are getting way off the schedule. Please try to get submission by then.

Henlock

Idol of Savagery g
Creature - Elemental Sculpture (r)
Trample
Formidable - Idol of Savagery can't attack nor block unless creatures you control have total power 8 or greater.
4/4

Lorn Asbord Schutta

The round is closed.
Please critique each other contestant and provide a top 3 from them.
The critique period is scheduled to end at 4th February, Friday, 12:00 EST.

Pygyzy

Post by Pygyzy » 2 years ago

slimytrout
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
2 years ago
Vraska's Gaze 2BG
Instant (R)
Destroy target creature. Create a 0/X colorless Sculpture artifact creature token with defender, where X is that creature's toughness.
"Every death is a work of art in its own way, but only gorgons can create a masterpiece."
Very clean, good flavor. I think this could exile but solid card.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
2 years ago
Grotesque Sculpture 1
Artifact Creature - Sculpture (Uncommon)
Grotesque Sculpture has all monstrosity activated abilities of creatures you control.
Abilities that trigger when another creature you control becomes monstrous trigger when Grotesque Sculpture becomes monstrous.
It seems paradoxical, but the one thing all people of Meletis fear and hate is also the thing most in demand in their art.
0/1
Very fun for decks that want a low cost drop that could grow into something huge.
void_nothing
Show
Hide
void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
Flowstone Artistry 2R
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a noncreature artifact is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, create a colorless Sculpture artifact creature token with "This creature's power and toughness are each equal to the number of Sculptures you control."
R: Sculptures you control get +1/-1 until end of turn.
2: Sculptures you control gain your choice of flying, first strike, or trample until end of turn.
Great flavor, this will make combat evaluation quite a pain for your opponent.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
2 years ago
Nyxforged Likeness 1RR
Enchantment Artifact Creature — Sculpture (R)
You may have enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield, except it's an enchantment in addition to its other types, and it has trample, haste, and "At the beginning of the end step, sacrifice this permanent."
Purphoros's work always takes on a life of its own.
0/0
Very cool, I'm sure this would find it's way into some combo deck to abuse.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
MonoRedMage wrote:
2 years ago
Hellish Garden 3RRR
Enchantment {R}
When Hellish Garden enters the battlefield, create three 3/3 colorless Devil Sculpture artifact creature tokens with first strike, menace, and defender.
Whenever an opponent gains life or draws their third card in a turn, creatures you control can attack that player as though they didn't have defender until the end of your next turn.
RRR, Sacrifice a land: Return Hellish Garden to its owner's hand.
Love these types of cards that hose certain strategies and just make life difficult in general for your opponent.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Henlock wrote:
2 years ago
Idol of Savagery g
Creature - Elemental Sculpture (r)
Trample
Formidable - Idol of Savagery can't attack nor block unless creatures you control have total power 8 or greater.
4/4
Great ferocious enabler I'd be a little worried this is a little too cheap. 2 of these and you can attack for 4 turn 2. Probably not too strong but I'd cost it at 2.
T3
Show
Hide
1. Subject16
2. Kwanyeegor-ii
3. Slimytrout
Last edited by Pygyzy 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

Pygyzy
Show
Hide
In a vacuum this is: you make a 1/1, then you can block with it until your next turn, but then it can't attack or block (missing an "until your next turn" on this), and then if your 1/1 hasn't been destroyed you get two temporary 2/2's that turn but then they turn back into treasure. That's a lot of text to not actually accomplish very much -- once again I wish this were trimmed down some.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Ooh, interesting. It does raise a strange rules question, which is what happens when you activate a monstrosity ability with an X in it, such as Polukranos, World Eater? Or, even stranger, what happens when you activate a different monstrosity ability, but Polukranos is on the battlefield? I believe the answer has to be that X is zero in both cases, but not entirely certain. Still, a fun card.
void_nothing
Show
Hide
Hmmm, not sure why this "a graveyard" -- feels like it should be a combo card that rewards you for artifacts dying rather than punishing your opponents. But otherwise it seems fun!
Subject16
Show
Hide
So... it's not actually a Sculpture on the battlefield? Also, sculptures don't seem like they really go with haste very much. I like this idea generally, but it feels pretty flavorfully disconnected from what is definitely a flavor-driven challenge.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
A cool little punisher card. I guess I do worry that, as opposed to cards that just prevent life gain, this will actively antagonize it, and if you have some lifelink creatures or something where you can't avoid gaining life, you might gain 2 life and then be subjected to an attack for 9 or something.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Yikes. This seems way too good since it counts itself. Just play one on turn 1 and one on turn 2 and you've attacked for 12 by the end of turn 3.
T3
Show
Hide
1. kwanyeegor-ii
2. void_nothing
3. MonoRedMage

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
Pygyzy - I really am not understanding the flavor here, and there's frankly too much going on mechanically and some baffling clauses besides, which all obscures the larger point - you need some outside way of generating Sculptures or at least Treasures to give this card a use, which is way too parasitic.

slimytrout - I just about can't argue with this card. Great flavor and execution both.

kwanyeegor-ii - Neat! Also a parasitic card, but one with a big payoff. Never would have thought to see monstrosity tribal.

Subject16 - A pretty reasonable red clone; I'm just wondering why it keeps the enchantment type and not the artifact type.

MonoRedMage - This card's sitting in an odd place. It's expensive for a hoser, but it does make a fair amount of power among several tokens. Definitely an EDH-oriented card. I like the flavor of a statuary garden that gets angry and comes to life.

Henlock - Nice idea, potentially a little win-more, unfortunately lacks the artifact type but flavorwise works as a nonartifact Sculpture.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. slimytrout
2. kwanyeegor-ii
3. Subject16
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 2 years ago

1 slimytrout
2 monoredmage
3 void_nothing
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

MonoRedMage

Post by MonoRedMage » 2 years ago

1 - slimytrout
2 - Subject16
3 - kwanyeegor-ii

Henlock

1. Kwanyegor
2. voidnothing
3. subject16