Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

CCL November Round 4

"That Certain Glow"

Katilda's Rising Dawn, taken from Art of MtG, by Manuel Castañón and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Legendary Month here at the CCL. One of the most important typeline features in all of Magic will be our focus this month.

Challenge
Design a legendary Aura.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Contestants:
@MonoRedMage
@Ink-Treader
@slimytrout
@marioguy3
Your submissions are due Saturday, December 4th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (November 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (November 9th-16th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due November 18th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (November 22nd-26th)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due November 28th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (December 1st-December 4th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due December 6th)
  • Final (December, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 2 years ago

Dack's Ghostly Influence
Legendary Enchantment — Aura (Mythic Rare)
Enchant artifact
You control enchanted artifact.
Whenever an artifact enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, you may draw a card. If you do, discard a card.
The soul of the world's greatest thief continues to haunt those he controlled.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 2 years ago

The Malibaum Family Curse 1RRR
Legendary Enchantment - Aura Curse {R}
Enchant player
Whenever enchanted player casts a spell, if it has mana value 2 or greater, each of that player's opponents creates a Blood token. If it has mana value 4 or greater, The Malibaum Family Curse deals 2 damage to that player and each planeswalker that player controls. If it has mana value 6 or greater, each of that player's opponents creates a 5/5 red Avatar creature token with first strike.

Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

Emrakul's Emissary 1CC
Legendary Enchantment - Aura (M)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +3/+2 and has protection from abilities and "Whenever this creature attacks, investigate."
You may cast Emrakul's Emissary from your graveyard if you don't control any Clues.
After killing countless rats, many birds, several wolves and a few devils, it was from the mouth of an angel that Sorin finally listened.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

Umbra of Grakmaw 1BG
Legendary Enchantment - Aura (R)
Enchant creature
When Umbra of Grakmaw enters the battlefield, put three +1/+1 counters on enchanted creature.
When Umbra of Grakmaw leaves the battlefield, create a 3/3 black and green Hydra creature token.
Totem armor (If enchanted creature would be destroyed, instead remove all damage from it and destroy this Aura.)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And that will do it for the round. Please critique the other contestants and arrange them into a T3.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 2 years ago

Critique time:

MonoRedMage: Some curses seem a tad oppressive in multiplayer. One of the innate issues with curses is that they encourage targeting one player. This is a great tool in duals where it slows down spellslinging decks. The triple red cost is appropriate though. I do like this curse in that it punishes high cost plays with tokens. The flavor really does make it feel legendary.

InkTreader: I like the creativity of this card and the ability for recursion on an aura. The colorless mana cost is cool too. The flavor feels spot on too.

slimytrout: Totem armor is a beast on this card. There's a lot going on, which is good because auras are more vulnerable on creatures due to removal. Get this thing sticking on a hexproof creature and it is creating power.

Positions:
3rd place: MonoRedMage
2nd place InkTreader
1st place slimytrout
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

And done
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
That's a very gnarly curse, and pretty evocative too. This feels kind of strong, but the CMC limitations on the higher effects helps.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Simple, but effective. Always weird to have a Hydra with set P/T, but it works in context, considering the namesake. Kind of wish the token making ability was identical to Grakmaw's, but the card is already a little wordy.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
Stealing an artifact for 3 mana can be quite solid, and the looting bonus is nice. Dack flavor aside, this could have been monoblue. Replacing the looting with rummaging (that is to say 'discard, then draw') would round out that small issue. Could also get away with being rare probably.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. slimytrout
2. marioguy3
3. MonoRedMage
Last edited by Ink-Treader 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 2 years ago

marioguy3
Show
Hide
This is a strong rate on a Steal Artifact, but shouldn't be busted given that Dack Fayden can do it and still survive. The trigger of your opponents playing artifacts is a bit odd, but still the whole package is very flavorful. I like it!
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
My biggest problem with this is the last clause -- giving each of your opponents a blood token and shocking yourself for most spells is definitely annoying, but hardly back-breaking. But giving each other player a 5/5 first strike in addition to those things is so punishing, especially because in multiplayer those first strikers are going to dissuade people from attacking anyone but you. Curses tend to be fun (especially in EDH) when they encourage things to happen (especially attacking), and this does the opposite, which I suspect would be the opposite of fun.
Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
This is definitely a weird card, both flavorfully -- an emissary kind of has to be a creature -- and mechanically -- protection from abilities has some weird effects, like, just as an example, that it can receive more enchantments but can't really be equipped -- but it does seem fun.
T3
Show
Hide
1. marioguy3
2. Ink-Treader
3. MonoRedMage

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 2 years ago

1 - Ink-Treader
2 - slimytrout
3 - marioguy3

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And your finalists are Ink-Treader and slimytrout - final round to come.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”